April 26, 2024, 04:48:00 PM

Author Topic: After Bobby Sookram.  (Read 30386 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
After Bobby Sookram.
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
After Bobby Sookram you telling me not one Indo-Trin could make the T&T senior team ? I know this questions was raised a million times, but what is the real reason for this ? Not dougla's (like myself) but pure 100% Indian I would like to see. Randy Ramcharran was doing so good at one time in the Pro League what happened to him, Vijay Samaroo and Khalid Mathura ? why Indians dont follow up...

I guess its up to Javed Mohammed to represent the Indo-Trini community on the T&T senior team.

No Chinese too.. I would love to see one on the T&T side also.

I remember I travel down south to play a few games in 1994 and it had a full Indian (goalie apart) team that buss we ass good and proper. Them men was faster, stronger, more skillfull and they was hard like banga.

This is not a race question eh, so RTG dont give on meh lolly to fast.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: After Bobby Sookram.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »
sam,

wha bout arnold dwarika and kendall jagdeosingh? dem play for t&t in recent times.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
I know many would say I'm not ''qualified'' to talk about such issues but I'm sure this is just a matter of choice (down to the Individual who wants to play ball). Footballing ability isn't down to your ethnicity.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
sam,

wha bout arnold dwarika and kendall jagdeosingh? dem play for t&t in recent times.

Dwarika and Kendall are douglas

Here:

Not dougla's (like myself) but pure 100% Indian I would like to see.

Still not sure what the point of the thread is though.... Are you saying that you'd like to see Indians and Chinese on the team because you think there is alot of talent and potential in those racial groups that don't make it to the higher ranks and as such our football is losing out?  If so I'd like to hear how you make that argument because I don't really hear much about Indian and Chinese footballers (players developing themselves to make an impact) in T&T at any level....(and doh come and bawl how ah Indian fete match side mash yuh up....dais ole talk  ;D)

I could see the Indian player pool argument making some sense as Indians rep 40% or more of the population... but that alone not really saying much.

Or do you just want to see it for the sake of seeing it? If so then it eh really have much discussion because I don't see any downside to it so long as who so ever is worthy of being selected on the team....

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:47:51 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »
sam,

neither one of them is Indian
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
kendall jagdeosingh is adopted  :rotfl:  but i grew up in an indian village and the reason why they are so traditional and dont want to do what there fore-parents did.  Nothing but play cricket or go to school and get job.  No other option.  They were told by there parents Indians dont play football.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:46:58 AM by Babalawo »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »
I think it's a valid question. I grew up down south seeing Indians playing ball with lots of talented men. Why aren't they represented in the national team. We should try to utilize our entire pool...we ain't that big a country with a deep talent pool to ignore these other ethnic groups.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:55:38 AM by Pointman »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »
I think it's a valid question. I grew up down south seeing Indians playing ball with lots of talented men. Why aren't they represented in the national. We should try to utilize our entire pool...we ain't that big a country with a deep talent pool to ignore these other ethnic groups.

I been preaching that. but up to a certain age, them Indians does move like the Americans.  That is as they get older they tend to quit football and get a regular job, rather that struggling and trying to earn a living playing the sport

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:59:48 AM »
It's all about career decisions. If we could get more people to chose football as a career we would have more ethnic diversity in player selection. You can't be surprised that the national side looks the way it does.  It replicates what you see in the Pro League and to a slightly lesser extent the Super League(which is semi-pro and community based).   

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
I think it's a valid question. I grew up down south seeing Indians playing ball with lots of talented men. Why aren't they represented in the national. We should try to utilize our entire pool...we ain't that big a country with a deep talent pool to ignore these other ethnic groups.

I been preaching that. but up to a certain age, them Indians does move like the Americans.  That is as they get older they tend to quit football and get a regular job, rather that struggling and trying to earn a living playing the sport

Like Americans?  Not sure about that... This is just a guess but America probably has the highest % of middle class athlete participation in the world (especially in football/soccer). From my experience, I get the impression that everywhere else in the world (but the U.S.A., maybe Canada & Austrailia) football is primarily a blue collar sport.  The decision to focus on a non sporting career is very common yes, but I think it's function of a societal make up whereby opportunities are somewhat limited, competition is fierce, and thus the ones who decide to "struggle" as you call it are the ones with few alternatives (e.g. corporate jobs).... I don't think America is a prime example of that societal make up all things being relative.....If you poll pro athletes in the United States, against the rest of the world I think you'd probably find a relatively large proportion of American pro athletes who are born & raised in the middle class, possibly educated, had alternative opportunities but still chose to pursue sport as a way to make a living....especially in football/soccer.

A large % of student athletes in the USA end up in non sporting careers, but I think the percentages are larger in other parts of the world....so I eh sure if Indians in Trini "does move like the Americans" by choosing non sporting career paths....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:09:03 AM by kicker »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »

Like Americans?  Not sure about that... This is just a guess but America probably has the highest % of middle class athlete participation in the world (especially in football/soccer). From my experience, I get the impression that everywhere else in the world (but the U.S.A., maybe Canada & Austrailia) football is primarily a blue collar sport.  The decision to focus on a non sporting career is very common yes, but I think it's function of a societal make up whereby opportunities are somewhat limited, competition is fierce, and thus the ones who decide to "struggle" as you call it are the ones with few alternatives (e.g. corporate jobs).... I don't think America is a prime example of that societal make up all things being relative.....If you poll pro athletes in the United States, against the rest of the world I think you'd probably find a relatively large proportion of American pro athletes who are born & raised in the middle class, possibly educated, had alternative opportunities but still chose to pursue sport as a way to make a living....especially in football/soccer.

A large % of student athletes in the USA end up in non sporting careers, but I think the percentages are larger in other parts of the world....so I eh sure if Indians "movin' like Americans" by choosing non sporting career paths....

What about the percentage of lower class Black Americans who see professional sports as a way out of the "hood"? Those numbers are still very high.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:18:44 AM »

What about the percentage of lower class Black Americans who see professional sports as a way out of the "hood"? Those numbers are still very high.

Yup- agreed...

That wasn't  really the point I was addressing though. I was talking directly to this statement:

them Indians does move like the Americans. That is as they get older they tend to quit football and get a regular job, rather that struggling and trying to earn a living playing the sport

If anything, your statement adds to my point and further counters the notion that "Indians does move like the Americans" by choosing careers other than sports....

Which may have been what you meant to do...  :beermug:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 11:32:53 AM »

Yup- agreed...

That wasn't  really the point I was addressing though. I was talking directly to this statement:

them Indians does move like the Americans. That is as they get older they tend to quit football and get a regular job, rather that struggling and trying to earn a living playing the sport

If anything, your statement adds to my point and further counters the notion that "Indians does move like the Americans" by choosing careers other than sports....

I think he mean "americans" specific to football...

How plenty youths does play the game in de US and den discard it for other sports or other disciplines when they get older...

I definitely see that growing up in Trinidad...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »

I think that's the gist of it...my guess is that many indians in TnT don't see professional sports (beyond cricket) as a realistic way out.  They are encouraged to focus on books and business opportunities.  Many in the community have links in the small business community so they know that if they cover their bases in school they can get in with an uncle here or there... or maybe get a job thru someone they know inside an organization or something.  I think this happens to in the afro-trini community, but because we have a lot of sporting role models to look up to we think sports are a bit more of a possibility.  The lack of indian athletes on the national team serves to the detriment of encouraging young indian yutes... self-perpetuating cycle.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »

How plenty youths does play the game in de US and den discard it for other sports or other disciplines when they get older...

Or play it then discard it for more realistic opportunities... from my experience.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »
Them black yutes have too muck skills boi  ;D

add or they have much more ppl teaching them real skillz.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:52:18 AM by Quagmire »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »

Yup- agreed...

Good talk.... I think that's everywhere though.

I think in terms of American youths with talent and a realistic shot at pursing football, a higher % probably pursue it to the extent they can.... There are probably way (proportionally) more sob stories about unfulfiled football potential and youths turning to other more "realistic" career avenues in other parts of the world than in the U.S.A due to lack of opportunities, societal pressure or overly fierce competition.........but like ah say, that's just my guess.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:55:48 AM by kicker »

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »

Yup- agreed...

yup

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
Sean Ramdoo was a decent Indian footballer for Fatima in the 80s, not sure why he did not go on to give it a try professionally, perhaps VB or other contemporaries of his may know. 

I also remember Caledonia AIA (of all clubs  ;D) having an Indian in their back four in the mid 80s, but perhaps he was not much to speak of.  They also had a white boy called Whiteside who had some touches.....

PS:  Honourable mention: The socalabourers have a wicked defensive midifielder called Monty alias Mohammed  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:36:30 PM by 100% Barataria »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
Sean Ramdoo was a decent Indian footballer for Fatima in the 80s, not sure why he did not go on to give it a try professionally, perhaps VB or other contemporaries of his may know. 

I also remember Caledonia AIA (of all clubs  ;D) having an Indian in their back four in the mid 80s, but perhaps he was not much to speak of.  They also had a white boy called Whiteside who had some touches.....

PS:  Honourable mention: The socalabourers have a wicked defensive midifielder called Monty alias Mohammed  ;D

alias Iron Monkey....

and how yuh go leave out Strip... aka manage...

and Wahid... aka Ramsingh Carlos

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »

alias Iron Monkey....

Ent, after ah post it ah remember, tanks fuh de update, doh cuss meh strip and wahid  :beermug: :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »

alias Iron Monkey....

Ent, after ah post it ah remember, tanks fuh de update, doh cuss meh strip and wahid  :beermug: :beermug:

Aye once soca labourers reach in de talk, then yuh know de thread buss...... ;D

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
Big respect to indian athletes in general....some ah dem does really get on bad.

I think the reasons why more indians not on any national team odder dan cricket is more social dan anything else. All dem guys dat posters mention was players from long time and coulda well b on a national team if dey wasnt on one as a junior already.

But lemme ask allyuh dis.....ever takin a sweat and ah indian come to take ah chuk and yuh find yuhself tinkin dat he more dan likely is a shitong even before he kick a ball?

doh lie!!!!

is someting in we subconcious as trinis.....we aint really lookin at no indian to b no player, an it does filter to we local  coaches as well...and when one really ketch we eye he does hadda b twice as good as a black man to get a lil call up....it sad.

also, dem real indian family and dem aint no joke.....play yuhself and play how much sport yuh want in school, but when school done is level wuk....it aint have no look for contract wit pfl side and dem ting. Most ah d indian sportsmen of note is level scholars and does have ting to fall back on if dey sports career buss.

To a lot of east indian families, cricket is d only viable sports career, and if dey chile wanna make sport a career is bess he choose cricket.

But i would really like to see a more diverse set ah folk on d Nt....but wha yuh go do?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »

hmm.. Sean Ramdoo..

This bredda give ah man de stinkest beat i ever see while i was on the same field.

lemme paint it for allyuh.

ah 5-ah-side competition and he playing against my side, ball on de byline..

one of our players has the ball and ah man from the other side rushing in biting hard..

player from our side proceeds to breed the onrushing defender and running around him to collect back the ball.. Crowd bawling, screaming, laughing kyaaaaah-kyah-kyah...

what happens next defies logic.

our player running around hard to collect back he ball from his issued breed. Ramdoo get to de ball first, mash de ball, BREED the man coming back to collect his ball, then tell him "Take back yuh breed".  :o

Well the crowd gone thru with that one. yuh know what it is yuh in de crowd, yuh bawl out, den hadda redouble yuh efforts and bawl out again?!

what make it worse is the man who take the initial breed went back and thank him for de bail out! de crowd rolling. that was stink, if he read dis he go know who write dis..

presha yes!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »

hmm.. Sean Ramdoo..

This bredda give ah man de stinkest beat i ever see while i was on the same field.

lemme paint it for allyuh.

ah 5-ah-side competition and he playing against my side, ball on de byline..

one of our players has the ball and ah man from the other side rushing in biting hard..

player from our side proceeds to breed the onrushing defender and running around him to collect back the ball.. Crowd bawling, screaming, laughing kyaaaaah-kyah-kyah...

what happens next defies logic.

our player running around hard to collect back he ball from his issued breed. Ramdoo get to de ball first, mash de ball, BREED the man coming back to collect his ball, then tell him "Take back yuh breed".  :o

Well the crowd gone thru with that one. yuh know what it is yuh in de crowd, yuh bawl out, den hadda redouble yuh efforts and bawl out again?!

what make it worse is the man who take the initial breed went back and thank him for de bail out! de crowd rolling. that was stink, if he read dis he go know who write dis..

presha yes!

Yeah Sean had skills for days....probably still have it- but I would rank Sean as a Dougla though..... Ah think Sam lookin' fuh full bred Indians...

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
Sean is actually Dogla. It doh really matter to me. But you notice if an Indian is mixed, he not Indian. but if ah man have AFrican he Black. I guess if Dwarika is not Indian, then Tiger Woods is not African American?? ::)

Sean was VERY gifted. He was in my year. I remember eating beat in small goal and only mashing he foot. Ah telling him sorry for de mash foot and he only smiling and saying it Ok :-)

Sean should have gotten a Univ schol, for the life of me, can't understand why he didn't. He also had a child at a very young age. I believe the mum had a child for Latas and another national footballer as well, so you could only imagine the kinda ball players dem is.

Both of Sean's sons have already played for TT at U-16 level. But have since disappeared from local football. Well dat is ...I doh hear about dem no more.

None of you have bothered to mention that for YEARS if you came from a non African or privileged background, you were treated differently by other palyers and sometimes the Coach as well, former standouts, Graeme Rodriguez (Fatima) and Shearwood (Pres??) have mentioned this.

I remember David Mohammed - the cricketer, captaining South U-19s (football) around 1984. I was convinced he would make the national youth team. You know de man eh even make trials???

As an Indian, I can tell you that  a lot of Indians - especially those outside of POS are ver sensitive of how they have been treated by African in certain elements of society. So if they get marginalised in football, the first thing they might do is say f&^% dem black ppl and go on to something else, instead of fighting it out. I eh trying to start no race ting here, just telling you like it is.

I lived in POS, saw Indians playing football but the reality is, only  a few were good. I was not one of dem :-) but ah used to fight it, had to bring down Brian Lara once, becz he was mad enough to stop and wait for me so he could beat and proceed. Had to let him know right of de bat who he faddah was. We lose on penalty kicks... >:(

If Jagdehosing is not Indian, then how de f^% he end up with that name. Granted he look like a Zulu warrior, but he name is Jagdeosingh. As ah say if he faddah was Chinee and he muddah look like Rita Marley, nobody woulda say he not black.

I want to believe in the East  and the South where there is a higher concentration of Indians, you can find talent. There are probably a number of reasons why they don't come to the fore, not just one.

Lastly I remember an Indian on the bench for TT in the 80s, I think it was TT vs. the Italian U-23 (I could be wrong about which game). However, it was at the QPO. I pointed it out to some black friends and they were nonplussed. I was surprised no ass.

oh yeah, I also remember some very gifted Indian GKs for St. Agustine, Naps and Pres. never saw them in the national set up. Ironically years later, an Indian GK from Fatima played for the national U-19 squad. Ah forget he name. But ah sure sammo remember.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »

But lemme ask allyuh dis.....ever takin a sweat and ah indian come to take ah chuk and yuh find yuhself tinkin dat he more dan likely is a shitong even before he kick a ball?

doh lie!!!!

is someting in we subconcious as trinis.....we aint really lookin at no indian to b no player, an it does filter to we local  coaches as well...and when one really ketch we eye he does hadda b twice as good as a black man to get a lil call up....it sad.

Yuh hit de nail on de head! I might add that feedback received over the years from non Afro Trinis, who were potential stars at youth level and had the skills to eventually make the national team, indicates that they were not made to feel part of and they eventually chose to simply stay away.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:35 PM »
Sean is actually Dogla. It doh really matter to me. But you notice if an Indian is mixed, he not Indian. but if ah man have AFrican he Black. I guess if Dwarika is not Indian, then Tiger Woods is not African American?? ::)

Tiger Woods IS NOT African American... from his own mouth.

As for the rest of your observations you are quite right... but that emanates from withing the East Indian community itself in Trinidad.  That community looks down on the mixing of the races... and inter-varna marriages period.  The very word 'dogala' from which our own 'dougla' is derived has seriously negative connotations to it.  So in short, the East Indian community historically has felt the need to categorize mixed-race 'indian' children as anything but Indian.  In the particular context that is TnT they're not properly categorized as black or African either...just their own special category, dougla.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »
I think the Indos are aware of one important fact and that is the Afros are better than them,this is probably why they give up so quickly.I speak as an Indo who should have gone on to play big football in Trinidad coz my Afro mates in TT thought I was exceptional but my parents made sure that I would not go down that road.They were typical of Indian parents at that time,I have never forgiven them and I will never.I have played club football in England and many people thought I was from South America.By the way Bobby Sookram was adopted by an Afro family from quite a little boy also his brother,his football was totally supported by those two people something his Indian parents could not do because they were too poor.This is fact coz my brother went to school with him.My brother also told me that Bobby used to bring his lunch which was made up of yam and dasheen and saltfish followed by sweet bread.Apperantly he used to joke about it and call it a light snack.

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
VB,

You bring back the old memories talking about Ramdoo and the good old days.

I remember seeing that Indian player with you on the bench for Trinidad against Italy. We thought it was a big deal unlike the others.

BTW, I went to Turkey in April 2008. Are you still in Istanbul?

Indian footballers that stand out during my time are Roach (CIC), Jaglal (CIC-captain), Christopher Sagar (Fatima Goalkeeper).

Presentation had a couple of players as well.

I noticed the best Indian player down south, especially Sando and Marabella. Texaco had a couple of players also.

1]; } ?>