April 25, 2024, 11:08:14 PM

Author Topic: Phoenix hold U-20s in Super League.  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Phoenix hold U-20s in Super League.
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:28 AM »
Phoenix hold U-20s in Super League.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

The Trinidad and Tobago national under-20 football team settled for a 3-3 draw at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Macoya yesterday despite twice leading Angostura 1976 FC Phoenix in their Bmobile Super League encounter.

The result would keep the youth team in fourth place if WASA failed to defeat first placed Carenage in their clash yesterday afternoon.

The relevance of the standings on Zoran Vranes' job security is uncertain. The Yugoslav born coach signed on as national youth coach and ended up in charge of the under-20 "FC". The idea of placing a youth team in a senior league is hardly novel and not necessarily progressive either.

Young Jamal Clarence, who scored one and created another as a second half sub, scored a handful of Pro League goals last season with Police while another substitute, Jean-Luc Rochford already has a few caps with bmobile Joe Public. The wisdom of playing such prospects in an inferior competition for the supposed benefit of prolonged bonding is debatable.

Still, Clarence gave further notice of his offensive threat while Rochford also scored a neat header and left back Uriah Bentick blasted home a low free kick. At the other end, under-20 keeper Sheldon Clarke gifted goals to Dominique Kerr and Dave Grimshaw before Kerr, who routinely tormented the teenaged defence, got the equaliser with a solo effort.

It is worth noting that the under-20 starting central defenders play regularly for the Clico San Juan Jabloteh Pro League team while the top teenaged goalie runs out with their Reserve team.

The contrasting positions of Jabloteh and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) should ensure a lively debate when the CONCACAF qualifiers kick off.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:16:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix hold U-20s in Super League.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19:34 AM »

The idea of placing a youth team in a senior league is hardly novel and not necessarily progressive either.

I dis-agree !!!!!!!!

Also, T&T local coaches need to step up.....

It is worth noting that the under-20 starting central defenders play regularly for the Clico San Juan Jabloteh Pro League team while the top teenaged goalie runs out with their Reserve team.

The contrasting positions of Jabloteh and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) should ensure a lively debate when the CONCACAF qualifiers kick off.

Agreed !!!! focus on one team, how can they play for two teams and different positions....

Lard fadda !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:22:44 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »
question here: if it is so inferior a league for these fellas, shouldnt they be running away with the league??
is a good experience i think. Playing against more physical opponents or if ya wanna call it "big-man football"...
the other teams may not be at the level of the countries we should be playing for warm-up matches, but it is a good move if we cant get those teams and rather than playing a youth pro league team or a super league team now and then while they train.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
Zoran is the best we can get ? anyway

Well i hope zoran is only screening players.... and that they start playing international games in september cause that the only way they going to qualify
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:15:32 AM »
I think its a good idea to play them in just this context, because don't forget they get physically runovah in the last WC.
The german and african youths especially just plain outgun them and the colombians bully them. what they need most is to run with horses and develop the strength and stamina requirements to make sure it does not happen again.

But they can only benefit if the Super-League meets these requirements. Like AZzuri say, how come they not running away with the league?

they also need to expand on this idea and perhaps place them in the Pro-League or reserves next year, with some compensation, monetary or otherwise to them and/or their PL teams, with automatic entry into the Courts pro bowl, Toyota classic etc.
And its really the U-17s who should be playing in the super league for building team cohesion and  stamina, punctuated with reasonable quality international matches as we had the last time around That will get them far more prepared than the last set.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »
I think its a good idea to play them in just this context, because don't forget they get physically runovah in the last WC.
The german and african youths especially just plain outgun them and the colombians bully them. what they need most is to run with horses and develop the strength and stamina requirements to make sure it does not happen again.

But they can only benefit if the Super-League meets these requirements. Like AZzuri say, how come they not running away with the league?

they also need to expand on this idea and perhaps place them in the Pro-League or reserves next year, with some compensation, monetary or otherwise to them and/or their PL teams, with automatic entry into the Courts pro bowl, Toyota classic etc.
And its really the U-17s who should be playing in the super league for building team cohesion and  stamina, punctuated with reasonable quality international matches as we had the last time around That will get them far more prepared than the last set.
can the a super league team could run with an under 20 team from ghana germany  or columbia...  well you know the answer and you right its the under 16 that should be playing in the super league
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
jus 4 d record kerr is a sprinter who turned to football
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »
can the a super league team could run with an under 20 team from ghana germany  or columbia... well you know the answer and you right its the under 16 that should be playing in the super league

True enough, they should be playing the the reserves or PL. Maybe next year.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:34:57 AM »
fellas I watched most of de second half of this game. When i tell yuh disappointing. I was hoping since this side been together for a while they shud look decent. But i was wrong. Usual boom de ball down de field and hope for de best.
Back in Trini...

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:43:17 AM »
fellas I watched most of de second half of this game. When i tell yuh disappointing. I was hoping since this side been together for a while they shud look decent. But i was wrong. Usual boom de ball down de field and hope for de best.

NYTWB how many U-20 players were you able to identify on the pitch who played in the World Cup, specifically were Leston Paul, Kephen Knox and Daniel Cyrus playing?

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

Tobago's Glen. Never undestood how he never got a shot at any of the national teams. His name was floating around the USL A-League between '01 & '03 - nothing came of it though.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »

Tobago's Glen. Never undestood how he never got a shot at any of the national teams. His name was floating around the USL A-League between '01 & '03 - nothing came of it though.

i think the fact that these strikers are quick prevents them from developing other facets of their gameis either u boom over the top for them or they kick it long and run behind it.

carron williams 4 e.g it was alwaYS A  big joke in coaching school when it came to his 1st touch
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »

NYTWB how many U-20 players were you able to identify on the pitch who played in the World Cup, specifically were Leston Paul, Kephen Knox and Daniel Cyrus playing?

Only saw Paul playing..and he was marked real tight. Even seemed to be getting frustrated as he got quite a few knocks to his ankles. Two of Phoenix goals came from jus pure pace. So the team in trouble wen it comes to meeting quick sides.
Back in Trini...

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »
I think Semi Pro teams also plays in the Toyota Classic. The U17 and U20 should have automatic berths....
Warrior For Life !!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »

Only saw Paul playing..and he was marked real tight. Even seemed to be getting frustrated as he got quite a few knocks to his ankles. Two of Phoenix goals came from jus pure pace. So the team in trouble wen it comes to meeting quick sides.

So they still struggling to overcome the weaknesses we saw last time.  :-\ Thanks for the insight.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
yuh know as we talking bout this pace thing i looking at 2 very good centre backs and i dont consider any of them to be quick, that i puyol and terry but i rarely see them getting blown past...hmmmmm

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
If dey still lookin in a bad state we really in a bad state what Goran doin. Now I would tink dat was d game that should have played last then I might have stay and c d game but JW boi"s had 2 get d last game
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>