April 29, 2024, 04:57:36 AM

Author Topic: Maturana fights back.  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Maturana fights back.
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:27:24 AM »
Maturana fights back.
...Warriors see off Haitian threat.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Francisco Maturana gave a glimpse of his staying power at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Wednesday night with a timely interview in English as the "Soca Warriors" defeated Caribbean champions, Haiti, 2-0 for their seventh win from 12 internationals under the Colombian football coach.

At the post-match press conference, Maturana made his maiden media address in English-even in the questions and answers segment-and shared the head table with previously ignored 2006 World Cup players, Cornell Glen and Chris Birchall.

There was a suspicion that the inclusion of both players was forced upon the former two-time Colombia World Cup coach but he fended off the enquiry as to whether he sacrificed his supposed stance regarding the use of players who do not represent their respective clubs.

"I think that I am (an) intelligent man," he said. "I don't hate any compromise. (The) only (point is) for the football (team) to win

"(As far as I am concerned) all players are available."

Maturana appeared to be floundering after Trinidad and Tobago's slender goal aggregate triumph over Bermuda in June but at least he has managed a response.

On the field, he scrapped his team's 4-1-3-2 formation for a more pragmatic 4-1-4-1 and recalled discarded World Cup players like Cyd Gray, Anthony Wolfe, Avery John, Glen and Birchall. Off the field, assistant coach Anton Corneal, whose perceived influence courted criticism, has become less visible while the Colombian also paraded his improved English.

Of course, the most important bit is the wins column and Maturana improved that too with a more noteworthy victory, if not more convincing, than previous exhibitions against Grenada, Barbados, Guyana and the Netherlands Antilles.

The Haitians were livelier but fashioned only one scoring opportunity when the teams were level, striker Leonel St Preux wasting a free header in the first half.

The Warriors' threat came, almost exclusively, from deep free kicks which Birchall repeatedly aimed at powerful central defender, Keyeno Thomas. In the 62nd minute, Thomas headed home his second international goal in 56 caps from a Birchall delivery and, eight minutes later, the Joe Public player headed across goal for Glen to nod into an empty net.

It was Glen's first goal at this level in three years-his last came against Panama at the 2005 Gold Cup-and his tenth overall from 39 outings.

The talented 27-year-old striker was his own worse critic and gave the impression that he is, belatedly, ready to build on the promise that illuminated Trinidad and Tobago's famous World Cup tie against Sweden.

"I have a lot of work to do," said Glen, at Wednesday's press conference. "My fitness, my first touch, my decision making "

Birchall, in his first international for two years, did not knock a Haitian off the ball until the 58th minute and, even then, he conceded a free kick in the process. His dead ball delivery was his sole redeeming quality on the night as he tries to win a place ahead of W Connection midfielder Clyde Leon and, possibly, 19-year-old Khaleem Hyland, who gave a notable performance of restrained aggression in the holding midfield role vacated by the injured Aurtis Whitley.

"I am really glad to get (this first game) out of the way," said the England-born midfielder. "It is a rebuilding process and I think we are going in the right (direction)."

In goal, Connection employee Marvin Phillip became the first T&T custodian in over a decade-at least-to record six successive clean sheets. He is two shy of Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince for the most shut-outs in a calendar year.

Ince managed eight blanks in 2000-the most on record by a national keeper-with three against Canada and one each against Panama, Mexico, Barbados, Netherlands Antilles and the Dominican Republic. Phillip's shut outs, thus far, have come against El Salvador, Barbados, Grenada, Guyana, Netherlands Antilles and Haiti.

The strength of Phillip's and Maturana's records is open to debate. But on Wednesday night, at least in the post-game chat, the glass looked half full.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana fights back.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:07:17 AM »
No revelations here. That's neither good nor bad.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:09:46 AM »
Did anyone understand Pacho? he speaking english,what he said made any sense or we need to hear from him some more?

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
Lasana give a seemingly unbiased report here...he knock Birchall and Glen more than Pacho and the admin.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
We need 2 hear from he more plus Lisana is not bias he calls a spade a spade
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
How come allyuh aint calling this report a shit report like how allyuh does say about ian prescott, nigel simon and shaun fuentes?

Lisana aint shit up de team, and all of a sudden, it is an "unbiased" report.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
How come allyuh aint calling this report a shit report like how allyuh does say about ian prescott, nigel simon and shaun fuentes?

ah love it!!

Tha's cause Lasana is a man who always highlights the negative aspects of Jack, the team etc. So he well on the road to having his reports blacklisted like Touches own for being cynical and negative. So this lil report here was not really those things, which was surprising. So  I was just highlightint that maybe he telling it as he see it and not just furthering his own agenda against Jack.

How you touchy so these days, boss?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »

ah love it!!

Tha's cause Lasana is a man who always highlights the negative aspects of Jack, the team etc. So he well on the road to having his reports blacklisted like Touches own for being cynical and negative. So this lil report here was not really those things, which was surprising. So  I was just highlightint that maybe he telling it as he see it and not just furthering his own agenda against Jack.

Ah touchy because people crying down the team too much.

Too much negative vibes.........

When journalists like Nigel Simon and Ian Prescott do their report, people saying that they giving a false impression and only lisana calling it as he sees it.

But i know that Lisana had his agenda long time now and these "investigative" reports were done morely to make Jack look bad, than for the benefit of trinidad and tobago football. 

This is a fair report that he gave, just like Simon and Prescott's over the years, but i not hearing anyone saying anyting.

How many people does go to ProLeague games and see what the coach has to chose from?? but they want us to play all kinda formation........lol.

I sorry if i coming across as ah lil sensitive, but i just upset at all the people who hating on the team with so much negativity.

I not saying that we should sugar coat our performances, but i just want to know how come nobody talking about how Avery John and Cyd Gray looked solid on the wings and how much attacking runs they made up the flanks as opposed to usually?

How come people always critical of the fact that Hyland neglets his defensive duties, but will not commend him on putting a fair solid performance in front the back four?

How come no one talking about the fact that birchall's presence improved on the team's overall hustle on the pitch.

How many people noticed that Glen played alone up front and fought on his own and was responsible for two of the four yellow cards that Haiti received?

Or the fact that Makan Hislop is growing in confidence

etc, etc and etc

ah love it!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
If Lisana agenda is 2 make JW look bad he very good at he wuk unlike Simon and Prescott who poor at wht dey do
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
If Lisana agenda is 2 make JW look bad he very good at he wuk unlike Simon and Prescott who poor at wht dey do

Well then Lasana have ah easy wuk
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
If it so easy how come is he alone have dat wuk. D fella is d only journalist who does do investigative wuk d rest ah dem either 2 lazy or wukin on d sequeal of zero 2 hero

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »
If it so easy how come is he alone have dat wuk. D fella is d only journalist who does do investigative wuk d rest ah dem either 2 lazy or wukin on d sequeal of zero 2 hero

Well then Lasana have ah easy wuk

Lasana have ah easy wuk!  8)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:07:26 PM »

Please explain?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 04:12:21 PM »
Dem fellas especially Simon who wuk 4 d Guardian neva acknowledge d blacklist and Prescott stories lack any analysis dat is y Lisana head above dem fellas

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »
Thank God for Lasana having an agenda with Jack cuz we'd have paid $30,000 to see our team in Germany....he single handedly halted what would have been another one of Jack's schemes to rip off us genuine football fans....he did what other journalists was apparently fraid to do.....and for that he will always have my respect..

However, I must admit when I read the "offline" version of the story earlier today ah found that he seemed to stay away from criticising the team for an overall poor performance and thought that it didn't seem like him.....even the headline had mih wondering a bit....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 05:07:52 PM »
Liesana must b tired complain bout d team he must b eh want 2 song like a broke record

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »
Lisana just taking a deep breath.  He coming back when de real football start. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »
Lasana did more good that bad in all of his reports so he deserve a little so so report at times. Nigel Simon, Shaun Fuentes and Ian Prescott could learn a thing or two from him. They make mistakes every report, heck, when was the last time you got a game report from Shaun Fuentes ?

One thing though, Lasana should do more indepth reports and put the line ups, but Lasana give we it driectly with no color coating and I could appreicate that..... he is the only man who does give us Pro League reports too...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »

ah love it!!

Ah touchy because people crying down the team too much.

Too much negative vibes.........

When journalists like Nigel Simon and Ian Prescott do their report, people saying that they giving a false impression and only lisana calling it as he sees it.

But i know that Lisana had his agenda long time now and these "investigative" reports were done morely to make Jack look bad, than for the benefit of trinidad and tobago football. 

This is a fair report that he gave, just like Simon and Prescott's over the years, but i not hearing anyone saying anyting.

How many people does go to ProLeague games and see what the coach has to chose from?? but they want us to play all kinda formation........lol.

I sorry if i coming across as ah lil sensitive, but i just upset at all the people who hating on the team with so much negativity.

I not saying that we should sugar coat our performances, but i just want to know how come nobody talking about how Avery John and Cyd Gray looked solid on the wings and how much attacking runs they made up the flanks as opposed to usually?

How come people always critical of the fact that Hyland neglets his defensive duties, but will not commend him on putting a fair solid performance in front the back four?

How come no one talking about the fact that birchall's presence improved on the team's overall hustle on the pitch.

How many people noticed that Glen played alone up front and fought on his own and was responsible for two of the four yellow cards that Haiti received?

Or the fact that Makan Hislop is growing in confidence

etc, etc and etc

ah love it!!

I like how yuh put some prospective on this topic, plenty ppl like to think that we are a super talented team and the coach just putting the team down in ah hole.

in all actuality we are an ok team that have a lot of potiential, but some ppl does want to act like is kaka and ronney we have on we team with nanny in midfield , ferdinand,and  roberto carlos in back.

we bearly made it to the WC , with only 4 points in the first round of the hex,it took ah gallant effort for us to make it and we just scraped in walking on ah tight rope.

and if i talking mess, then tell me how much players get contracts after the WC in the top leagues over the world ?   Good points andre.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>