April 18, 2024, 02:04:43 PM

Author Topic: Me eh taking no bus in Canada nah  (Read 6007 times)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Me eh taking no bus in Canada nah
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
This story is so sad...wonder what trip off de fella

Bus Passenger Beheaded

As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a young man who was sitting and sleeping beside him, a witness said Thursday.
 "There was a bloodcurdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden, I heard it," Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men, said of the Wednesday night incident west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while."

Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.

The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said. Video Watch Colwell discuss the case »

He said no formal charges had been filed, and he declined to identify either the man in custody or the victim, who were among 34 passengers.

The was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack, Colwell said. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Caton told The Associated Press that the victim appeared to be about 19 years old and had gotten on the bus in Edmonton.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."

The police received a call reporting the attack at 8:30 p.m. By the time they arrived at the scene, everyone except the knife-wielder and his victim had left the bus, Colwell said. The incident ended about 1:30 a.m.

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton said the victim was sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened. Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave. Video Watch Caton describe what he saw »

"Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton said.

"And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."

The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, Wambaugh said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.

Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.

Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them, and that includes counseling," she added.
advertisement

Wambaugh declined to comment further.

"I don't want to compromise the investigation," she said.
Back in Trini...

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Me eh taking no bus in Canada nah
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
34 passengers and no one jump in to help

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:16:36 PM »
Very sad story indeed
would you be the first to shout, "Let's roll,"?

I ent know eh
i guess it depends on the size of the knife and who goin and give support.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »
Very sad story indeed
would you be the first to shout, "Let's roll,"?

I ent know eh
i guess it depends on the size of the knife and who goin and give support.

Honestly who knows...but I would like to think ppl would think alike given the urgency of the situation and take action. Maybe it does take that one person to get it started

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:28:25 PM »
I now heard this on the news...

the incident happened almost mid night...every man jack was sleeping or almost dere to sleep
all of ah sudden man start to SCREAM. I ain't know bout allyuh, but shock woulda take over my arse and I would have froze. Even when i catch myself, that fella would have been dead already. But then again, going into shock and fright does make people do anything..

But from what the news said, the actual incident happened in the space of 4 mins maximum.

It sad....goes to show, you'll never know when your number get call :(

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
I now heard this on the news...

the incident happened almost mid night...every man jack was sleeping or almost dere to sleep
all of ah sudden man start to SCREAM. I ain't know bout allyuh, but shock woulda take over my arse and I would have froze. Even when i catch myself, that fella would have been dead already. But then again, going into shock and fright does make people do anything..

But from what the news said, the actual incident happened in the space of 4 mins maximum.

It sad....goes to show, you'll never know when your number get call :(

you soundin like yuh woulda wet yuh knickers too.but on ah serious note to go to that guy rescue would take alot outta anybody.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:13:40 AM »
Is ah f**king knife fuh crissakes!

Not ah AK... steups

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:05:02 AM »
It might not have been an AK but given the severity and swiftness with which this act occured, it was no doubt no little kitchen knife that was used.   Who knows if he was high or something or just plain out of his mind.  Too many questions.

We've heard that the victim was a small person but I've not heard (or recall) the size of the attacker.  I doubt too that ANYBODY on that bus when woken with the scream could have imagined something so terrible happening.  It boggles the  mind. It certainly boggles mine.

My heart goes out to the boy's family.  May he RIP.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »
It might not have been an AK but given the severity and swiftness with which this act occured, it was no doubt no little kitchen knife that was used.   Who knows if he was high or something or just plain out of his mind.  Too many questions.

We've heard that the victim was a small person but I've not heard (or recall) the size of the attacker.  I doubt too that ANYBODY on that bus when woken with the scream could have imagined something so terrible happening.  It boggles the  mind. It certainly boggles mine.

All I know is that it had 34 people on dat bus... of that, it is safe to say a good many of them fled past the seats in question as the assailant was slicing open de yute jugular.  Maybe was ah bunch ah ole people, with some cripples (yeah, not PC...moving on) and li'l babies mixed in for good measure.

This just reminds me of the sad fact a handful of terrorists were able to commandeer 4 aircrafts with little more than box-cutters at their disposals.  Why is that do you think?  Because people allowed themselves to be paralyzed by fear.  Here you have one man with a knife.

Maybe dey see pardna neck open up and decide there wasn't anything more they could do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:47:06 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »
It is very easy for a single person to terrorize the masses.

We have so many examples in the world from small time bullying in the school year, to gang intimidation, to random public incidents of violence (like this one)  to wholesale genocide.

We always ash the question: "why do we allow the few to terrorize the majority?"

I conclude that the instinct to flee and cower is well imprinted in our hind brains..

Bakes, if i ever get in trouble I hope it have men like you in the area because I suspect that your will to fight is not common.

I am not shame to admit that I really do not know if I would render immediate aid in that particular scenario (as described in more detail in today's papers). 

Scenario: I hear a blood curdling yowl, and for the few seconds it takes to gather my wits, to see arms flailing and then to see a 'big frickin' Rambo knife .. covered in blood" and the man with no rage, systematically stabbing another person.

I truly do not know if my first instinct would be to run and help or to run away.

If we all automatically stood up to injustice, the world would be a better place.

Sadly, human behavior does not follow rules that we aspire to.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »
maybe is what i have seen in my life. But no knife or even cutlass scaring me to the extent that i become imobile. Yes i would eb sacred,  but i cowering in the back wont make the person stop or not come after me. The maybe if i keep quiet he wont notice me attitude is an embarassment.
I knwo if it was my son....on that bus i wouldaa appreciate any effort by any one who even self if they throw big stone behind the man, do something. That is why i woulda help, i have family and would like to beieve people will try n lend some kinda helpign hand instead rushign to give interview after of how horrifying. dais a felo human being..

is not about being a hero but being human.
RIP...........
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Big mad man...Big ass rambo knife use to gut deers....tight aisle and area

It easy to say what yuh woulda do after the fact...but faced with that situation...nobody knows how yuh brain go react
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
as my mother always say to me 'i go dead stupid'...me ain't lie, ah love ah good fight

but
my thing on this incident:
* look at the time of day....midnight or near there
* how many hours on that bus cram up, man tired
* we ain't know if dey victim was sleeping when he get dey first stab
* we doh know when the ress of passengers ran out, if it was on the first stab or after the man cut the fella throat
* we doh know how long it take for ah passenger plus dey truck driver to  hold down the man from doing further damage
* dey truck driver....where he come from ?
* the mins/secs for the actual incident to happen
* where dey bus driver ?
* the fella sitting down next to the victim...what he was doing ??
* greyhound bus does only have ah little light on in front on dem  late night travel
* ah doh know bout allyuh, but as i said, when ya jump up in shock, or from ah sudden jolt ya does take ah couple of mins to focus eh.

again nobody ain't have the full story on this incident. so until den, if i see ya coming towards me wid ah kitchen knife be prepared for ah good fight.
if ya coming from behind to attack me tip toeing...me ain't no satan to have ah eye in dey back ah meh head.  make sure ah dead doh

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »

All I know is that it had 34 people on dat bus... of that, it is safe to say a good many of them fled past the seats in question as the assailant was slicing open de yute jugular.  Maybe was ah bunch ah ole people, with some cripples (yeah, not PC...moving on) and li'l babies mixed in for good measure.

This just reminds me of the sad fact a handful of terrorists were able to commandeer 4 aircrafts will little more than box-cutters at their disposals.  Why is that do you think?  Because people allowed themselves to be paralyzed by fear.  Here you have one man with a knife.

Maybe dey see pardna neck open up and decide there wasn't anything more they could do.

I hear what yuh sayin eh and in part, I go agree wid yuh but times change plenty.  I is one ah dem people who used tuh put een meh mout when ah see ah lil rong doing happen but more an more, yuh hearing bout people getting kill who come tuh defense of somebody.  Hind sight is 20/20.  It real easy tuh analyse someone when it done.  I remember when I move from Calgary tuh Toronto, I take de Greyhound.  I couldn't afford de airfare fuh me an meh two pickney.  Hear nah, dat is NOT ah experience I would ever like to go through again but when yuh pocket shallow yuh do what yuh have to.  On de bus had a woman who was sitting across from me.  Young woman too.  It was plain as day dat she wassen right in she head.  She was travelling wid a doll and de doll was sittin on de seat next tuh she and she talkin tuh de doll all de time.  I had my two children and I keepin my eye on she all de time because I didn't trust what she coulda do but dat was de mudder in me.  I mighta never notice her if ah didn't have children tuh protect and ah will tell yuh fuh sure dat if I was on DAT bus, my first instinct woulda be tuh protect meh children.  I eh go lie.  What ah woulda do after dat, ah could only guess.
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 11:47:40 AM »

I hear what yuh sayin eh and in part, I go agree wid yuh but times change plenty.  I is one ah dem people who used tuh put een meh mout when ah see ah lil rong doing happen but more an more, yuh hearing bout people getting kill who come tuh defense of somebody.  Hind sight is 20/20.  It real easy tuh analyse someone when it done.  I remember when I move from Calgary tuh Toronto, I take de Greyhound.  I couldn't afford de airfare fuh me an meh two pickney.  Hear nah, dat is NOT ah experience I would ever like to go through again but when yuh pocket shallow yuh do what yuh have to.  On de bus had a woman who was sitting across from me.  Young woman too.  It was plain as day dat she wassen right in she head.  She was travelling wid a doll and de doll was sittin on de seat next tuh she and she talkin tuh de doll all de time.  I had my two children and I keepin my eye on she all de time because I didn't trust what she coulda do but dat was de mudder in me.  I mighta never notice her if ah didn't have children tuh protect and ah will tell yuh fuh sure dat if I was on DAT bus, my first instinct woulda be tuh protect meh children.  I eh go lie.  What ah woulda do after dat, ah could only guess.

Is true...bus culture is a different kinda culture....is some real fackin weirdos does be on dey

I take my first and last greyhound to anywhere in 1989
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:49:55 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »

I conclude that the instinct to flee and cower is well imprinted in our hind brains..

Bakes, if i ever get in trouble I hope it have men like you in the area because I suspect that your will to fight is not common.

I not trying to come off like no hero type... what I am saying is that it is fairly easy to defend yourself...or someone else from a knife attack.

Big mad man...Big ass rambo knife use to gut deers....tight aisle and area

It easy to say what yuh woulda do after the fact...but faced with that situation...nobody knows how yuh brain go react

There are those who talk... and those who do.  The key is preparation.  As much as I does talk on here I's ah man who doh really like talking about mihself and my accomplishments to make people feel I trying tuh big up mihself.  But Pecan, like yuh say... in a moment of 'fight or flight' sometimes instinct takes over, and often that instinct is to flee.  This is why I said that preparation is key... training your mind and body how to respond in times of a crisis.

I'm not the biggest guy, and I'm not the baddest... but I had (still do to an extent) something of a temper.  I was then and still am slow to anger, but when angry it wasn't pretty.  So 7 1/2 yrs ago I had to make a decision to try and properly channel that fury and that led me to martial arts.  Today I'm one test away from my black belt in Aikido.  So yeah, because of my training I know precisely how I would have responded.

Now, it is unreasonable to fault the average Joe for not having martial arts training, so that's not my intent.  To a certain extent I understand the response... it's human nature.  However one does not have to be a martial artist to respond with a level head in a situation...certainly not a situation where the assailant is so vastly outnumbered, and only armed with a knife.  Often times all it takes is a clear rational mind... similar to what was shown aboard Flight 93...where the supposed captors decided they were going to take a stand.

I dunno de full hundred ah what went on and how it went on... so perhaps I being unreasonable.  That said I'd like to think somehow that had I been there I would have done more than just sheepishly scurry for the exit while a young man's life slowly leaked out of him.  I could never look myself comfortably in the eyes after that.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
I dunno...yuh hadda consider the situation for a level head to take place
Is not like the man was wavin around the knife in a mall or on the bus for a few minutes and grab somebody where you have time to assess the situation

Is ah dark bus..ppl sleepin ,,screamin start bus slam on de brakes and people start to pelt for the exit...I sure 3/4 of that bus didnt know wtf was goin on till they reach outside.

I understand wuh you and . saying in terms of helping...but I cyah condem the people because me eh know the full circumstances

of course if it turn out they was ah bunch ah pussies dat stan up and watch dat fellah get decapped...DEN dais someting different
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:45:46 PM by Dutty »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
I dunno...yuh hadda consider the situation for a level head to take place
Is not like the man was wavin around the knife in a mall or on the bus for a few minutes and grab somebody where you have time to assess the situation

Is ah dark bus..ppl sleepin ,,screamin start bus slam on de brakes and people start to pelt for the exit...I sure 3/4 of that bus didnt know wtf was goin on till they reach outside.

I understand wuh you and . saying in terms of helping...but I cyah condem the people because me eh know the full circumstances

of course if it turn out they was ah bunch ah pussies dat stan up and watch dat fellah get decapped...DEN dais someting different

Well I certainly ent condemning nobody... don't think I did that anywhere in here.  I still remain alarmed however that 34 people, and not one or two or three of them could band together to subdue this man.  As ah say however, perhaps de poor yute was dead soon after it start, so wasn't no need to 'subdue' when keeping him lock up would suffice.

Who knows.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
We was discussing this today... at least one man coulda pelt some luggage... a bag... something... steups... everybody run out de bus?

rush de man with ah samsonite to face...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

That was my exact reaction when I first read the story..how come nobody tried to stop the man. There had to have been at least three strong people in the bus who could have made a decent effort to subdue the assailant.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
Well, ah have bus stories fuh days ... ah take all kinda bus ... uptown, downtown, crosstown, cross-country, rural, metropolitan, cross-border, water bus and skytaxi, Sando to Town, Town to Toco via Grande ... not to mention inter-continental bus, only thing left is inter-planetary and inter-galactic bus ... oh and ah take bus head (K-I-D-D-I-N-G ;D never that) ...

One a mih bus stories occurred in a country that experienced civil war ... we travelling on a dirt road that served as the main ONLY conduit from North to South ... man fall asleep after some previous "issues" ... buh ah go pick up de story at the point of de purported ambush ... big fire blazing in de middle ah de road, driver and "conductor" pelting ppl off de bus ... de men suppose to be dussing out de fire ... some advance to de fire wid dey coats and wha'ever dey could ... i read de scene (we only 2-3 minutes in) and ah say NAH ... ah come too far to move like a sitting duck ... ah stroll rong de back ah de bus and simulate ah piss ... well, I did release but not for as long as I appeared to be) ... all de while ah surveying de landscape ... iz bout 2 something in de AM ... plus ah hugging de side of de bus that offered de most protection given de lay ah de land AND fairly easy access to geh back on de bus depending on if/whether any hostilities broke out ...

Allyuh done know Trini eh have embassy on most ah de planet so intervention in these affairs wasn't gonna be promising regarding say body recovery ... when de "locals" finish dey "investigations" mine were already concluded ... ah could only conclude that's it's useful to have a weapon on hand in these situations ... de best route dey was self *&*%# preservation ... no amonk ah my fellow travellers wouldah help me de foreigner ... talk slow, think fass, move to suit was de order of the moment!

So ... after all that ah cyah say wha wouldah transpire wid me on Greyhound Canada ... maybe ah wouldah pissed mih pants :devil:

Nah, never that.

Said speed yuh ever see man take chop in de back seat from inside AND thru de window?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:26:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
Madness.  Sorry ah got this from another site, so I don't have a link for it.

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- A police officer at the scene of a grisly beheading on a Canadian bus reported seeing the attacker hacking off pieces of the victim's body and eating them, according to a police tape leaked on the Internet Saturday.

With family nearby, Alex McLean talks about his slain nephew Saturday in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

In the tape of radio transmissions, a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer refers to the attacker as "Badger" and says he is armed with a knife and scissors and is "defiling the body at the front of the bus as we speak."

On the tape, which lasts about 80 seconds, officers continue to detail the attacker's movements until one reports, "Badger's at the back of the bus, hacking off pieces and eating it."

The RCMP described the tapes as "operational police communications and, as such, are not meant for public consumption." Police said permission had not been given to use the radio transmission, which was posted on LiveLeak.com and picked up by other Web sites.

Officers were responding to a desolate stretch of the TransCanada Highway about 12 miles from Portage La Prairie, Manitoba, after the bloody attack late Wednesday on the bus traveling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, faces second-degree murder charges for the slaying of a 22-year-old man, whom friends and family identified as Tim McLean. Police have not confirmed the victim's identity.

Don't Miss
Decapitation suspect appears in court
Bus passenger beheaded seat mate, witness says
Passengers said they had just reboarded the bus after a break when the suspect -- for no apparent reason -- stabbed the man sitting next to him dozens of times as passengers fled in horror. He then severed the man's head, displayed it and began hacking at the body.

Li's employer said in an interview Saturday that he was shocked to learn that his "model employee" had been accused of the grisly attack. Vincent Augert, an independent contractor who distributes newspapers in Edmonton, said that Li was one of his most reliable carriers.

"He was very punctual and always cleanly dressed," he told The Associated Press. "He was a very nice, polite guy. We would've had no reason to let him go before all this happened."

Augert said Li had worked for him since last July and caused no problems.

"I had no odd suspicions about him at all," Augert said.

Augert said that Li called him two weeks ago to say he needed a day or two off to go to Winnipeg for a job interview at the end of July. He said Li called him back and left a message with the dates, but never followed up after that.

"That was unusual for him not to call back, and then when he didn't show up for work on Tuesday, we got worried," said Augert, who said it was sometimes difficult to understand Li because he spoke quickly and had a strong Chinese accent.

Augert said he called Li's cell phone Thursday, and his wife answered. She told him that she hadn't heard from Li, who had told her he had to leave for a few days because of a family emergency.

Li, who shuffled into a courtroom Friday in Portage La Prairie with his head bowed and feet shackled, appeared before the court without a lawyer. He did not reply when the judge asked him whether he was going to get a lawyer, and only nodded slightly when asked whether he was exercising his right not to speak. He was not required to enter a plea.

The prosecutor asked for a psychiatric assessment, but the judge said he wanted to give Li a chance to meet with his lawyer. Li's next court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday. The RCMP said Li has no known criminal record.

McLean's family spoke publicly Saturday for the first time since the brutal attack.

"He was a little guy with a heart bigger than you could know," McLean's uncle, Alex McLean, told reporters in a prepared statement from the family.

"Tim spent his life traveling and meeting new people and always saw the good in everyone. He had the most infectious giggle. You could hear him laughing a mile away," said Alex McLean.

"It didn't matter what kind of a day you were having, because when you heard him laugh, you couldn't help but join in."

William Caron, 23, said McLean was quiet, though he liked to socialize with friends. He was small -- about 5-foot-4 and 130 pounds -- and tended to stay away from a fight, Caron said.

"All the time I've known Tim, he's never been the type of guy to get into a fight with. He always kept to himself when there's strangers around," Caron said.

The killing has spawned a vast online community, with tens of thousands showing support for McLean's family and expressing disgust for the attack.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »
We was discussing this today... at least one man coulda pelt some luggage... a bag... something... steups... everybody run out de bus?

some man was saying de same ting should ah happen inside dem 911 plane....but would that have made a difference?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
plenty cyber heroes in this thread..

hindsight eh?

i eh fronting, everything i know about myself tells me i would try to help or launch something at the very least, but yuh cyah really give guarantees for yuh fight or flight mechanisms..

who's to say when i arouse from sleep to see a man viciously sawing a next man to pieces if i wouldn't freeze or bolt just like the rest ah passengers??

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »

some man was saying de same ting should ah happen inside dem 911 plane....but would that have made a difference?

Yeah... they wouldna get to the cockpit and take down the plane.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »

ANOTHER STABBING ON A GREYHOUND BUS !!!   :o :o

Man charged in Greyhound bus stabbing, Linda Nguyen, Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, September 22, 2008

Ontario Provincial Police have charged a 28-year-old Manitouwadge, Ont., man in connection with a stabbing on board a Greyhound bus in rural Ontario Sunday, a chilling reminder of the murder of a Winnipeg man on another Greyhound two months ago.

David Wayne Roberts, 28, has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of breaching probation, the OPPsaid in a news release Monday.

Police say a 20-year-old man was stabbed in the chest around 4:15 p.m. ET on Sunday while the bus was travelling from Toronto to Winnipeg. The incident occurred five kilometres south of White River, on Highway 17 near Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

The victim, identified by witnesses as an Asian male in his mid-20s, is recovering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Roberts was arrested soon after the incident when he got off the bus several kilometres from the scheduled stop in White River.

He is set to appear for a bail hearing Monday.

A witness told the Winnipeg Free Press she heard yelling in the back of the bus and then saw a man walk up to the front, blood dripping from his hands. He demanded to be let off the Greyhound, forcing the driver to comply.

Abby Wambaugh, a spokeswoman with Greyhound, said Monday the company is co-operating with police in their investigation.

There were 14 passengers on the bus at the time, she said.

This is the second violent altercation to occur on a Greyhound bus in Canada in recent months.

In July, near Portage la Prairie, Man., Winnipeg resident Tim McLean was stabbed and beheaded on board a Greyhound.

Earlier this month, McLean's family filed a lawsuit that alleges Greyhound and the federal government failed to provide adequate security to the travelling public. They cited a number of violent incidents in recent years on board Greyhound buses. They also named the RCMP and murder suspect Vincent Li in the statement of claim, which seeks approximately $170,000 in damages.

Li is charged with second-degree murder and remains before the courts.

His mental health and whether he can be found criminally responsible are expected to be the key issues at his trial.

White River is about 400 kilometres east of Thunder Bay, Ont.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
wayyyzz  :P

Greyhound is the official transport for mental patients now or wha?

1]; } ?>