June 15, 2024, 11:48:03 PM

Author Topic: Crawford picks Brown for de final  (Read 3982 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Crawford picks Brown for de final
« on: August 04, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
Well if I just give my opinion again on this topic I could be labelled an obsessive, compulsive...so I asked Hasley Crawford, the Caribbean's only Olympic gold medalist over 100 metres, what he thought of T&T's chances in Beijing in the 100 metres for men .
According to Crawfie Darrel Brown is the one with the best chance.
Of course dem stats boys go want more dan that ...well Crawford thinks Thompson has hard a hard campaign and might be short of rest... Brown , he says, is looking good and in good form. Brown's time 10.06 recently was not a bad run and he mentioned that he ran 10.3 just before Montreal. " Doh worry bout times ..it is the man who can handle de pressure who go win "
" dem fellas go break de world record ...but in the semis not in de finals ...in de finals it will be about who can handle de pressure
So I asked about Burns ..." Burns kyah start " ' You kyah give away so much at the start "
According to Crawford ...Brown is the toughest mentally
' If Brown make the final he could give anyone ah dem fellas ah run because he is tough mentally "
When asked about the relay Crawford mentioned that the order eh changing which confirms Ato's take on this. " The problem we have to work on is de sticks " ...once we get that right we in with a good chance according to Crawfie
dere you have it folks .....
ah gone !!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford picks Brown for de final
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »
I await ato say.......
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:17 AM »
I dunno what the barometer for this "mental toughness" is. I like the guy who has actually beat Walter Dix ass for the year, badly - the one with the 2 sub tens, the NCAA title and the 9.93 into the slight headwind.

Thais my horse - since I guess we "picking" now publicly.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
I dunno what the barometer for this "mental toughness" is. I like the guy who has actually beat Walter Dix ass for the year, badly - the one with the 2 sub tens, the NCAA title and the 9.93 into the slight headwind.

Thais my horse - since I guess we "picking" now publicly.

Daiz yuh "Trini" horse yuh mean. Yuh done pick Bolt fuh 3 GOLD medals.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »
It's all about opinions. At de end ah dee day all ah we wha de best for we country. Brung is my favorite, but dat eh mean me eh supporting de rest. I hope all ah dem make de finals. :beermug:

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
I have to get in on this talk....no way darrel is the toughest mentally ...madness....I like ATO pick but I still doh think he ready he need to get to another level to compete on even terms with the guns but he is close.....Marc start as crawfie say is awful but he will make the final and  he might be the only one to sneak through to the final.....this being said I'm still hopeful Darrel and Richard can do it
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:08:39 PM by Ngozi »

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »
I have to get in on this talk....no way darrel is the toughest mentally ...madness....I like ATO pick but I still doh think he ready he need to get to another level to compete on even terms with the guns but he is close.....Marc start as crawfie say is awful but he will make the final and  he might be the only one to sneak through to the final.....this being said I'm still hopeful Darrel and Richard can do it

Based on what you pwould say either Richard or Marc mentally tougher than Darrel? ???

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
Based on the beatings he's gotten in some of the bigger races he's run ....not really the fact that he was beaten but the times he ran  showed that he wasnt competitive....races where he beats everyone he looks easy and relaxed tough races slower times  as though he gave up or isnt even really competing.....Marc is always slow out the blocks but is guaranteed to compete and despite it all I think he is still the most naturally talented of the three but the other two are fighters last year Richard was a notch below effort has him where he is right now. Two races stand out to me this season ...marc's 9.97 not because it was 9 point but because he was in lane 8 and seemingly out of it but he never gave in and he almost caught Asafa ....when Richard came second to Dixon in the ncaa 200 he was well beaten on the curve and in the homestretch seemingly out of it he ran back and made it a race again...it impressed me ...Darrel needs to get his mind right ...its as though hes afraid of competing and getting bad results because it will change peoples impression of him so he takes easy races so we can still hope and then pressure races he just buckles!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:00:32 PM by Ngozi »

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
Based on the beatings he's gotten in some of the bigger races he's run ....not really the fact that he was beaten but the times he ran  showed that he wasnt competitive....races where he beats everyone he looks easy and relaxed tough races slower times  as though he gave up or isnt even really competing.....Marc is always slow out the blocks but is guaranteed to compete and despite it all I think he is still the most naturally talented of the three but the other two are fighters last year Richard was a notch below effort has him where he is right now. Two races stand out to me this season ...marc's 9.97 not because it was 9 point but because he was in lane 8 and seemingly out of it but he never gave in and he almost caught Asafa ....when Richard came second to Dixon in the ncaa 200 he was well beaten on the curve and in the homestretch seemingly out of it he ran back and made it a race again...it impressed me ...Darrel needs to get his mind right ...its as though hes afraid of competing and getting bad results because it will change peoples impression of him so he takes easy races so we can still hope and then pressure races he just buckles!

Is either you have selected memory or you eh know yuh history. Darrel is ah former World Youth Champ, ah former Wourld Junior Champ, de world Junikor record holder and ah World Senior Silver Medalist in 2003. Which one ah dem come close to them feat? Look, Richard is de fastest and most consistent THIS YEAR of the three. But it eh have NO evidence that anyone ah dem mentally tougher than Darrel, especially with them niggling injuries that he does be getting every year. He still in de fray ent? Allyuh must think before allyuh type.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
I feel Darrel holding back so as not to get any serious injuries. Last time, he was going good and then, bam!, injuries. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »

Is either you have selected memory or you eh know yuh history. Darrel is ah former World Youth Champ, ah former Wourld Junior Champ, de world Junikor record holder and ah World Senior Silver Medalist in 2003. Which one ah dem come close to them feat? Look, Richard is de fastest and most consistent THIS YEAR of the three. But it eh have NO evidence that anyone ah dem mentally tougher than Darrel, especially with them niggling injuries that he does be getting every year. He still in de fray ent? Allyuh must think before allyuh type.

Well my apologies for not thinking before I talk ... because I certainly wasn't aware of these titles  that Darrel won world junior champ really?  Of course there is one thing to consider ..umm he  isn't running juniors anymore is he? He won the silver medal on the world championship in 2003 he was 18 yrs old he was a junior.......Is something beginning to connect here all his achievements came when he was a junior ...he is now a grown ass man running amongst men and he is not stepping up ..... he hasn't been stepping up when he was 18 he ran 10.01 he is now 23 he is still running the same times in fact he has only beaten that time twice one time it was wind aided and the next the rift raft times at the national championship ....wha I go tell yuh Marlon ...yuh in denial
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:48:50 AM by Ngozi »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
I am fan of Burns, Darrel and RT..and will be happy if either of dem medal at the Olympics..but Darrel slow times this year is concerning and yuh cant be mad at people for thinking RT will have a better Olympics than him....and Yes I know bout Darrel achievement when he was a youth but this is now five years down de road, time to meet your fans expectations

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »
I was on the issue of MENTAL TOUGHNESS. And up to now nobody eh prove to me where either RT or MB mentally tougher than DB.

Me eh makin no excuse for DB, but it takes some kinda toughness to be injured so much and still in de fray. Anyhow time will tell. Dem man wearing red. I supporting all.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »
All I want DB to do is prove me wrong...I will gladly eat my words ...just prove me wrong that's all

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
It really is difficult to judge how an athlete handles pressure. I dont know Brown personally, nor any of the other two so I cant judge, but I tell you it matters how you react to pressure. Some people choke and so do not reflect their best performances , others just use the occasion to bring out their best.
It is Crawford who picked Brown because of his mental toughness ... I guess he should know he was there and is there .... That does not mean that Brown will finish ahead of the others because other factors also come into play... we have seen some unforeseen circumstances in big events ..like the Cristie fiasco, Burns has fouled out so has Asafa at big meets ... accordiong to Crawford however , all fit and well , it is the head thing that could decide whether you  medal or not.
I gave this example previously that in '76 Harvey Glance was the hot runner before the olympics ...he did not reproduce his best form in the final ..... Crawford decribed him as an emotional wreck before the event.
To be fair to Brown ...it is extremely difficult to run flat out when you harbour injury thoughts .... it happens to all athletes ...I am sure we can see it in carlos edwards who is struggling to come back to his best. Picture an athlete thinking about injury...it is not easy .... yet Brown has somehow still managed to stay at his best ...his best has to be better now though but I feel he has no choice but to go for it ..... and I think he can !

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »
 :-\
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
De beauty ah dis debate is dat we discuissin three world class TRINI athletes. When las this happen. :beermug:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »
How the bookies see Beijing...

http://400meteroval.com/2008/08/05/how-the-bookies-see-beijing-80508/

Like dem bookies eh following times recorded or what ....how come Burns eh dey at all and he run faster than Brown has ever run ...and this year to boot ?
Yuh better talk to them Ato and tell dem just look at the times and who running faster must finish ahead ! :beermug:

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
Iam guessing that the bookies take more into consideration(not just time) when they release the odds. For instance, runners consistency, competition (amongst the rest of the runners) and perhaps maybe even fitness.

Brown can be the "dark horse" in the 100m final. This is the first time in a while that he is healthy. I heard that he was told to hold back, and not to open up or run hard when competing this year. Trust me Brown was not giving 100% in these competitions this year. He wants to save it for the olympics.

In Browns last race, the commentator was  suggesting that he is one to watch. The commentator even mentioned that he has been injured for a while and this is the first time in a while that he is ready. So Crawford is not the only one who feels that way.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »

Is Richard doubling?????

according to the T&T team listing (posted in another thread in the 'Other Sports' section he is

TRACK & FIELD
Men:
  • Richard Thompson 100m,200m,4x100m
  • Marc Burn 100m,4x100m
  • Darrel Brown 100m,4x100m
  • Keston Bledman 4x100m
  • Emmanuel Callender 4x100m
  • Aaron Armstrong 200m,4x100m
  • Rondell Sorillo 200m
  • Renny Quow 400m,4x400m
  • Ato Stephens 400m,4x400m
  • Stan Waithe 4x400m
  • Zwede Hewitt 4x400m
  • Cowin Mills 4x400m
  • Jovon Toppin 4x400m
  • Mekil Thomas 110m Hurdles

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
Richard is not doubling.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »
Richard is not doubling.

Good, because dude would have been useless for the relays and Dix, Wally, Bolt and Crawford are a class above him right now, so it would have been an exercise in futility.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »

Like dem bookies eh following times recorded or what ....how come Burns eh dey at all and he run faster than Brown has ever run ...and this year to boot ?
Yuh better talk to them Ato and tell dem just look at the times and who running faster must finish ahead ! :beermug:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Raw, untreated BULLSHIT dem bookies ah chat! Wallace Spearmon and Mickey Grimes ain't even in de US 100m squad but they have better odds than RT?
JJ Johnson semi-retired...ain't wear a US Uniform musbe in 5 years but he have better odds than Brown? Joshua Ross and Devonish aint make their 100m teams but them on dat list ahead ah Burns?

Man somebody need to send this to Anil Roberts so he could scream WHAAAT before giving a big steups!

1]; } ?>