April 25, 2024, 01:51:38 PM

Author Topic: Bernie Mac-A comedic legend passes.  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bernie Mac-A comedic legend passes.
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:46:55 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-bernie-mac-dies-080809-story,0,4050692.story

Bernie Mac dies at 50

By Kelley L. Carter and Glenn Jeffers | Tribune reporters
    8:35 AM CDT, August 9, 2008

Comedian and Chicago native Bernie Mac died early Saturday morning from complications due to pneumonia, his publicist confirmed.

Mac, 50, had been hospitalized for about a week at Northwestern Hospital, according to his spokeswoman. A few years ago, Mac disclosed that he suffered from sarcoidosis, a rare autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in tissue, most often in the lungs.

The comic born Bernard Jeffrey McCullough could cut an imposing figure. He stood six-foot-three, was built like a fullback and carried himself with a bouncer's reticence. But perhaps the strongest weapon in the Chicago comedian's arsenal was that voice, that amalgam of thought and a delivery that could rise like a tidal wave, outpace a Gatling gun and remained, to his last days, loud and unapologetic.

He wasn't scared, he told us time and again, to tell anyone what he thought, to say what others were afraid to say. That fearlessness wasn't always welcome, considering Mac didn't get his big break until his 30s. But when he did, the comic skyrocketed to success in stand-up, television and the big screen.

Related links

Bernie Mac's life, career Photos

Mac shared screen time with some of Hollywood's larger-than-life leading men, co-starring with Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Matt Damon in the "Oceans 11" remake and subsequent sequels.

Most recently, Mac garnered attention for making unsavory comments at a Barack Obama benefit that the presumptive Democratic candidate had to distance himself from.

Growing up on the South Side a hard-core White Sox fan, Mac discovered early on that he wanted to make a go at being a comedian. Before his 10th birthday, Mac was performing comedy standup, honing his skills on CTA trains and parks before graduating to well-known haunts like the Regal Theater and the Cotton Club. He came to a realization during those first years as a struggling comic: If he could kill in front of a black crowd, he could kill in any crowd.

"Black audiences are hard," he told the New York Times in 2002. "You got to come with a little extra to satisfy them."

He also learned that comedy isn't a lucrative business when you starting out. During those lean years in the 80s, Mac drove a Wonder Bread delivery truck to pay the bills.

Life changed dramatically for Mac when he was 32. He won the Miller Lite comedy search that year and that performance took him to the standup stage, which ultimately led to regular performances on popular shows like HBO's "Def Comedy Jam."

In a few short years, he was able to put a stamp on this tell-it-like-it-is brand of comedy that audiences had come to know him for. He was a hit on the stage, delivering sordid tales of his early life growing up on Chicago's South Side. Would be great to get a couple examples here

His work hit home to the African American audience -- his aggressive, brash comedy had a down home feel to it, tackling everything from family life to black romantic relationships -- yet Mac was able to cross it over, connecting with a majority entertainment scene.

"When I started in comedy in the clubs in 1977, blacks couldn't do certain clubs -- not because they were segregated. They just didn't want to put the [black comics] out there. In Los Angeles, the clubs would have a black night. People would say, 'Why don't you come by and do something?' I would say, 'I'm a comedian -- don't put a title on me.' Don't limit yourself. How you start is how you finish," he told the Tribune in 2007. "If you let people put tags on you, you'll never be able to remove them. You've got to make people respect you. Respect is bigger than dollars and cents."

Mac got his respect and he gained national attention after his set on HBO's popular late-night series Def Comedy Jam in 1992. Decked out in a pair of jeans with his face illustrated, graffiti-style, on the right pants leg, Mac expounded on one taboo subject after another, from the benefits of snitching to his prowess in the bedroom.

"I ain't scared of you [expletive]!" became his signature tagline.

Many took note of the blue comic's performance, which later led to a bit part in 1992's "Mo' Money," and later an HBO Special, "Midnight Mac."

In 1995, Mac earned a spot in the cult-classic "Friday," and the film helped Mac break out. His portrayal of Pastor Clever was one of the film's highlights, however small it was. He followed it up with bit roles in other films, including "Booty Call," and "Def Jam's: How to Be a Player."

But he wanted more.

Mac sowed the seeds for his success on a cloudy day in North Carolina while taping the 2000 Spike Lee concert film, "The Original Kings of Comedy." There, on a rain-soaked basketball court, buttressed by co-stars Cedric the Entertainer, D.L. Hughley and Steve Harvey, Mac issued a challenge to Hollywood:

"Do I have a television show? Nah," Mac told the cameras. "Why? 'Cause you scared of me, Scared I'm a say something. You [expletive] right. Think I won't say something?!"

A year later, Mac got his chance. "The Bernie Mac Show" debuted on Fox in November 2001, drawing critical acclaim, numerous awards, including two Emmy nominations for Mac and, most important, high ratings. Its premiere episode drew 11.4 million viewers. The second episode, which immediately followed the first, drew 12.4 million.

For the next four years, Mac spoke to the America public--via a break in the fourth wall a la Dobie Gillis--with all the befuddlement of a 40-something taskmaster father lost in a sea of talk therapy and "Time Outs." "Now, America," Mac would often begin before going into a rant about undisciplined children, cuddling parents or, one of his favorite topics, the differences between black and white people.

But in 2005, the show went off the air. Several reasons contributed to cancellation: The show's ratings had dropped, Mac was getting more lucrative offers from the movie studios. Before the 2000 concert film, Mac's biggest credit was a recurring role on "Moesha."

But Mac's health was also a factor. In 2004, he halted production on the show while recovering from exhaustion. A year later, he disclosed that he suffered from sarcoidosis, a rare autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in tissue, most often in the lungs.

In spite of that, his star has risen a great deal. In addition to the highly popular "Oceans" films, he co-starred with Ashton Kutcher in a reverse remake of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" in 2005.

Last spring, Mac said that he was hanging up his standup career, and instead focus more on movies. In 2007, he co-starred in "Ocean's Thirteen," "Pride" and had a role in the blockbuster "Transformers."

Scheduled for release later this year is "Soul Men," with Samuel L. Jackson and was cast in "Old Dogs," with Robin Williams, which is due next year.

Mac is survived by his wife Rhonda McCullough, their daughter, Je'Niece, a son-in-law and a granddaughter, Jasmine.

-----

gjeffers@tribune.com, klcarter@tribune.com
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Bernie Mac-A comedic legend passes.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:01 AM »
wow i usaully doh care when ah ceelebrity dies but this one touchy
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:56:10 AM »
Rest in Peace one of the True Kings of Comedy

Ah now hear bout this on MSN  :'(
dis one hurt meh bad

my all time favorite skits from him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4ul_FYnlQ

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RIP Bernie Mac
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »
Illness and death
Bernie Mac was hospitalized with pneumonia on August 1, 2008 and the following day, a source close to the family said that Mac was in "very, very critical" condition.[4] He was recovering from pneumonia, most likely brought on by his sarcoidosis, in a Chicago hospital. His publicist, Danica Smith, said that he was expected to make a full recovery and that he was responding well to treatment.[5]

On August 9, 2008 it was reported by the Chicago Sun-Times that Bernie Mac had died due to complications from his condition: "Comedian Bernie Mac died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Saturday morning, according to Sun-Times Columnist, Stella Foster. He was 50. Though the cause of death has not been confirmed, Mac had been hospitalized recently for pneumonia. Foster said that she received calls early Saturday morning from a close friend of the Mac family, confirming the reports of Mac's death."
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:56 AM »
Damn....too young to die
RIP man
prayers to his family and friends
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Bernie Mac
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »
Yuh beat me 2 it RIP funny man
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »
Never too young to die... he came to us and fulfilled the role that the Creator would have him play, and now he goes home.  This caught me completely by surprise, I eh go lie... however, thank you all the same Bernie.  Success came late for you, but when it came you took it an made the best of it.  Well done.... and Godspeed good sir  :applause:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:51:09 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:02:56 AM »
R.I.P....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Berni Mac dead at 50
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
NO! Very sad news.

RIP

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Berni Mac dead at 50
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
Journey well dred
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
WTA??  ???
de "punkinpie" man dead?..at 50?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »
I not big into m,edical stuff, but how could someone die from complications to pneumonia in 2008 in the US? I real sad and disappointed.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
I not big into m,edical stuff, but how could someone die from complications to pneumonia in 2008 in the US? I real sad and disappointed.
Elan, I feel this was his eventual undoing
"sarcoidosis, a rare autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in tissue, most often in the lungs."
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
I always liked this man. Thought he had a lot of charisma on the screen.

Was happy for him when i saw him getting movie roles.

Left Canada when he got his series, so I never got to see it but I will look for it somehow.

RIP Bernie. You entertained well.

STill remember the joke about the woman giving him head and only looking at him  ;D :rotfl:

Sad news indeed.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 01:36:06 AM »
Happens a lot more often than people realize...

...on another note his death takes me way back to Robin Harris, he was totally getting ready to take black comedy places unseen since Richard Pryor when he too died (in his sleep) too early.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
scared i might say suttin...your m'f**kin right
summ mmmm biatch :'( :'(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:49:50 PM by TriniCana »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »
hollywood go miss he,he was funny like hell,RIP.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »
Bernie Mac: Two Sides, but One True Self

By Teresa Wiltz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 11, 2008; C01
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/10/AR2008081002550.html?hpid=topnews

Backstage at what was then MCI Center, Bernie Mac was breaking it down, explaining how the bug-eyed, raspy-voiced, apoplectic brother onstage at the outrageously successful "Original Kings of Comedy" tour had absolutely, positively nothing to do with who he really was. There were, he insisted, two Bernies. Not in the "Three Faces of Eve" sense, but in the protect-yourself-and-your-career sense.

"The two sides of Bernie, that's a quiet weapon that I have," he explained, all earnest and introspective, leaning in close to make sure I got the point.

It was a glimpse into the unique mind of Mac, who died of pneumonia on Saturday. He was 50.

"People say, 'Bernie hard, he tell it like it is, he curse.' They like for me to tell it. If I came out doing Bill Cosby or Billy Crystal, they'd have a fit. One thing I do understand is, this is an act. I'm acting. When I get offstage, I'm done. That man is dead. When you're offstage, that's the footprint. That's the man God's gonna judge."

The man ostensibly being judged now -- let's call him Offstage Bernie -- was quieter than you'd expect, a churchgoing Christian who dropped the J-word as frequently as Onstage Bernie dropped those curse words. Offstage Bernie stayed married to his high school sweetheart for more than 30 years, and liked to brag that he had "no outside kids." ("That's rare for a black man," he cracked to Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show.") He and his wife raised a daughter, then took in his 16-year-old niece and her 2-year-old daughter. Later, that served as material for his highly acclaimed Fox TV sitcom, "The Bernie Mac Show."

Onstage Bernie, who starred in many films, from the "Ocean's Eleven" franchise to 2007's "Pride," had a strong current of old-school African American conservatism running through his comedy: You take care of family, no matter what. Work is just that -- work. Do your job and shut the [expletive] up. Children are to be seen and not heard, and if they are heard, don't be afraid to open a can of you-know-what.

As he would explain in his closing monologues on the TV show, "Bernie Mac just says what you want to say, but can't." (The man had a habit of referring to himself in the third person.)

If Onstage Bernie evoked images of your crazy cousin cutting up at the family barbecue, that's because Mac was channeling his own crazy uncle and cousin. They, not he, were the funny ones, he explained during that interview in 1999. (I was starting to think that the man protesteth too much.)

He recalled the time he decided to go onstage and just be himself. You know, do Offstage Bernie. He bombed. He never made that mistake again. A fan waited for him backstage, eyes filled with tears, to tell Mac that he'd lost his touch. In retelling that story, Mac's own eyes welled.

"Comedy comes from pain," he once said, and Mac certainly knew pain: His mom died of breast cancer when he was 16; within a short time frame, his grandmother and two brothers also died. His best friend was killed.

Which is to say, Bernie Mac was the blues. Not that rarefied stuff that they serve up in museums and at effete folk music festivals, but genuine Chicago back-alley blues -- urban, raw and real, greasy and gritty. Even as a young man, he always had a bit of the retro vibe about him, both in outlook and in demeanor. He was a little bit vaudeville, a lot chitlin' circuit. Which makes sense, when you consider that one of his early career breaks was opening in Vegas for the bluer-than-blue Redd Foxx.

In the mid-1990s, you could see him performing in his home town of Chicago, filling up the cavernous Chicago Theatre or selling out a 100-seat venue like Milt's. He was already enjoying some success on the comedy circuit, had already stolen the spotlight in the Ice Cube comedy "Friday," and famously told a hostile "Def Comedy Jam" audience, "I ain't scared of you [expletive]."

Mac (born Bernard Jeffrey McCullough) put on a performance that was more variety show than pure stand-up, as he played a scatological Ed Sullivan to a host of talent: a 10-piece band (the Mac Men), seven dancers (the Mac-aronis) and a group of singers (the Mac Sweethearts). After the show, a big spread of fried chicken, collard greens and biscuits was laid out for all who wandered backstage -- friends, relatives, colleagues. It was a family affair, because that's how Mac rolled.

Last month, at a $2,300-a-head fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, Mac ran afoul of the PC police with his expletive-laced observations, throwing in a couple of references to the "hos" for good measure. The senator from Illinois told Mac to "clean up your act," adding, "I'm just messing with you, man." (Later, an Obama rep did the standard reject-and-repudiate thing.)

Ultimately, Mac was the epitome of the stand-up brother that Obama was talking about in his Father's Day speech: a man who took care of family, first and foremost, complaining and cracking jokes, but taking care of business just the same.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
Sad, sad loss and at such a young age.  RIP
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »
taste like pongkin pie  :rotfl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RviYo3WsqjU

Classic...classic...classic Bernie Mac

As ah next man say elsewhere, I know Bernie have dem fallin' off clouds up in Heaven.

1]; } ?>