March 28, 2024, 04:52:36 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Good News  (Read 4476 times)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Good News
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:39:09 AM »
Flex etc sorry for starting a new thread but I know people don't always look at old threads hence a new one.

It is being reported on SSN as breaking news that the club have confirmed that Kenwyn will be out for 6 - 8 weeks after the surgery. 

I will add the anouncement when it appears on safc.com

Great news if true, I hope the club take their time with him and he comes back as good as new.  Should make for an interesting season, must admit I was fearing the worst.

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=15379
Jones back in two months
[/color][/size]
By: Martin Walker.

Roy Keane has this morning revealed that Kenwyne Jones should return to training inside two months. The Sunderland boss, addressing the media at a press conference to preview the club's trip to Ireland this morning, says the injury is now not as bad as first feared.

Jones suffered a bad knee injury in a friendly for Trinidad and Tobago against England in June. "He had his operation yesterday," Keane said this morning.

"Fortunately, we've avoided major surgery and expect him back in training in the next six-to-eight weeks. "You never know the full story until you go into the knee, that's why we've been open in terms of the prognosis. "But it's great news for everyone at the club - Kenwyne is a big player for us."
Jones could be back by October.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago's 2010 World Cup campaign might have received an unlikely boost from the Sunderland Football Club after their medical staff confirmed yesterday that national striker Kenwyne Jones could return to training in six to eight weeks.

Jones sustained a knee injury in a 3-0 international friendly defeat to England on June 1 and was initially thought to be ruled out for the rest of the year.

However, medical checks revealed that Jones' cruciate ligament remains intact and he can therefore avoid major surgery.

Sunderland manager and former Manchester United star Roy Keane was delighted to have the services of his 2007/08 Player of the Year so soon into the new season after several gloomy forecasts.

"We expect him back in six to eight weeks," Keane told the club website. "He has avoided major surgery and it is fantastic news for everyone. Without going into the gory details about the surgery, the fact he has been in a brace since the injury happened has helped his recovery. 

"We said that we would not know the full extent of the injury until the operation and that has shown he has not done his cruciate."

Whether he likes it or not, Keane's delight at the player's speedy return would be shared by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation's (TTFF) as they prepare for the CONCACAF semi-final phase of their 2010 campaign.

Keane was reluctant to release Jones and compatriot Carlos Edwards for international duty in the past and narrowly avoided a FIFA ban in March when neither player showed up for an international friendly away to Jamaica. The Irishman has already told another Sunderland employee and Trinidad and Tobago's 2006 World Cup captain Dwight Yorke to shelve plans about ending his retirement to help his country's 2010 bid.

Keane's cool feelings towards the TTFF are unlikely to have been helped by the fact that Jones was not fully recovered from a wrist injury when he lined up to face England in June against the club's wishes. The striker was down clutching his knee in pain midway through the first half after a collision with England and Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.

But, once more, Keane would be powerless to prevent Jones from wearing national colours if he is deemed fit.

The powerful 23-year-old attacker will certainly miss the first half of the CONCACAF semi-final stage and games against Cuba (away), Guatemala and the United States (away) on August 20 and September 6 and 10 respectively.

He would have barely restarted training by the time the "Soca Warriors" travel to Guatemala on October 11 and host the US, four days later. However, the TTFF and not Keane will decide if they wish to test the extent of the player's rehabiliation in those crucial qualifiers.

Trinidad and Tobago's last semi-final fixture will be at home against Cuba on November 19.

For now, Keane is happy to focus on the positive side of Jones' health forecast.

"We always talk about how great news it is for us and the supporters," said Keane, "but the best news is for Kenwyne himself.

"He knows now it's just a case of building up the strength around the leg, and hopefully there should not be any problems."

Trinidad and Tobago football's stakeholders would be paying close attention.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:08:10 AM by Flex »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyn Good News
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »
Whew :whew: :wavetowel:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »

2 months to diagnose, 2 months to fully recover, i hope they not pulling these numbers willy nilly from the air... ::)
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:56:36 AM »

2 months to diagnose, 2 months to fully recover, i hope they not pulling these numbers willy nilly from the air... ::)

Given the situation the club have just followed the advice of leave it, rest and have a look when the consultant feels is the right time.  Your not putting forward any views that I and many other Sunderland fans have and never really had a good explanation.

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »

Given the situation the club have just followed the advice of leave it, rest and have a look when the consultant feels is the right time.  Your not putting forward any views that I and many other Sunderland fans have and never really had a good explanation.

Kenwynne's leg has been in a brace since the incident so has been healing ever since, they could not operate earlier as there was too much swelling. Sounds to me like they got it spot on just like they did with Wallace's and Whitehead's knee injuries last season.
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Good News
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:25:29 AM »
still dont understand how fantasy league got their info right b4 the surgery took place
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
Excellent news 4 KJ
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »

Kenwynne's leg has been in a brace since the incident so has been healing ever since, they could not operate earlier as there was too much swelling. Sounds to me like they got it spot on just like they did with Wallace's and Whitehead's knee injuries last season.
Actually, this is all a bunch of BS!!!

For one, if the MRI was inconclusive and they felt there was a need for a scope, it should have been done way before this. Especially with the medical staff and equiptment, there is no way that swelling can delay surgery on any knee injury for 2months.

To this point they have not stated what the actual injury is.

Something is amiss here!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
  me thinks  u right
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »
Here we go again !
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »
I don't know why you think something is up.

Whitehead had a knee injury last year and was expected to be out for most of the season, they followed a similar course of action and was back much earlier than expected. (unfortunately ;D)

I would imagine the club have used the same cosnultant and just left it upto him.  It will no doubt come out when the full press conference is realised on the net.

There is a snippet here http://video.jpress.co.uk/editorial/SEJJ/keane aug 6.wmv ( open media player post url) with RK saying that he chatted to Kenwyn about the possibility of being out for 7/8 months just a couple of days ago.  The club have a vested interest in Kenwyn starting the season so why anybody would think "there is something up" god only knows.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »
this is great news if true! best of luck KJ!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »
Good news indeed....speedy recovery to you KJ
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
saw it on sky sports a little while ago... that's good news... cant wait to see him back on the field

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »
Call him up one time.  Better start the fight with Keene now before later  :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
Nutten amiss dey eh want he 2 play 4 oui
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
Good Luck KJ.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:03 PM »
Nutten amiss dey eh want he 2 play 4 oui
What would be the point of that if he can't play for them either?
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
6-8 wks he out d season fresh and Keene c how great we lookin and he figure after nov we eh go need him.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »
I think that the speculation about the severity of the injury was all what Keane wanted. Many clubs have appeared to be less interested in KJ since his injury. Many clubs will not risk purchasing a striker that is injured, especially if there is no diagnosis.

Don't be surprised if he is back in less than 6-8 weeks. In the premiership many clubs  release information that might no be to acurate about their player health. Many times managers have said that their star player will be out for the next 3 or 4 matches. And next thing that player is in the starting line up the week after.

I think that KJ will make a return before that. Hope he gets to play for T&T in the wcq. We need him.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
I understand your point about Keane using the injury to decrease interest in Kenwyne, but on the flip side, wont that make it worse for them.

My justificaiton for that statement is that it is a known fact that they need a striker and they fact that Kenwyne's injury is so "severe" it would mean that clubs would call higher prices for their strikers since Sunderland would be in a state of "desperation"

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
I understand your point about Keane using the injury to decrease interest in Kenwyne, but on the flip side, wont that make it worse for them.

My justificaiton for that statement is that it is a known fact that they need a striker and they fact that Kenwyne's injury is so "severe" it would mean that clubs would call higher prices for their strikers since Sunderland would be in a state of "desperation"

ah love it!!

One thing is for sure, we will be without his services for the next round of qualifiers!

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
Great news on KJ!!!

too bad this makes no difference to us. Keane will never give him back to us.....oh wait we have uncle JACK ...hard luck there keane...you will bow eventually

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
Great news on KJ!!!

too bad this makes no difference to us. Keane will never give him back to us.....oh wait we have uncle JACK ...hard luck there keane...you will bow eventually

even if we didnt have Jack, giving KJ back to us is not Keane's decision for World Cup qualifiers.

But yeah great news in truth, real glad to hear this, much better than the 'miss most of the season' initial prognosis.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »
Aye allyuh fellas getting tie up...On FIFA internatiional dates a club coach cannot prevent a healthy and fit player from playing for his country..so all dis talk bout keane may not let him go is bullshit

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
We know wants he fit dey cyah prevent him from comin meh new best friend Ince had a drama last campaign

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 01:38:04 AM »
I don't know when the dates are but if everything goes well with KJ I wouldn't expect him to be fully fit until sometime in October probably middle. 

We need Kenwyn, but the last thing I want to see is him rushed back too soon.  If he is properly fit before then I will look at it as a bonus tbh.

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
its not that keane would not let him go

but they do have the power to make the players life uncomfortable in going to international duty, may release him at last minute Poor KJ wouldn't be able to give 100% still being jet lagged, if sunderland doing well without him he may get much bench time etc, its going to be difficult each and every time,
keane bought some new fire power as well so KJ would also be licking balls to ensure he plays full time

gonna stock up on some pop corn and see how this one plays out.

I am eager to see KJ play with this new bunch of warriors as well as sunders new side this season...KJ hurry up and get healed.....probably already healed up as keane was just trying to ward off would be bidders for the player by crying he is damaged goods

keane has turned into a bitch real fast boy, its only 4 years ago he was running for Man U, but like he has forgotten all that already, in full manager mode now

1]; } ?>