June 16, 2024, 12:50:30 AM

Author Topic: Crawford: Burns can be dark horse  (Read 2740 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Crawford: Burns can be dark horse
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »
Crawford: Burns can be dark horse
Friday, August 8th 2008

Every race has a potential dark horse waiting in the wings to surprise the natural favourites. According to former Olympic 100-metre champion Hasely Crawford, T&T ace sprinter Marc Burns has the quality to be such at the Beijing Olympics.

Burns has shown much improvement in dropping his times this year, winning the National Open Championships in 10.01 seconds, and less than two weeks ago, grabbing silver in 9.97, behind former world record holder Asafa Powell at the London Grand Prix from lane eight.

"I think Marc Burns could prove to be a dark horse," Crawford told the Express yesterday. "Marc Burns is a gutsy kind of athlete. Right now his problem is that he's not starting (his races) the way he ought to be starting."

Crawford has put a lot of personal stake in Burns, and fellow T&T sprinters Richard Thompson and Darrel Brown, who he believes each have the potential to surprise the current favourites for Olympic Gold, Powell, world record holder Usain Bolt, and US champ Tyson Gay.

Gay ducked under 9.7 seconds during the US national trials, but was assisted by an illegal tailwind. Only in May, Bolt claimed the world record from his Jamaican compatriot Powell with a 9.72 clocking at the Reebok Grand Prix in New York.

But Crawford thinks the T&T runners should not be overlooked.

"It's not because of a Trinidadian. I'm saying this from an (former) athlete's perspective. Our athletes on a good day can give them a good run."

Having improved his form, and with a recent sub-10 clocking, Crawford believes Burns can challenge the favourites with a better start.

"I believe that he can make some minor adjustments (to his technique). He has what you call the 'bunch start' which I don't really like personally. He is an athlete who needs to get a running start. At that level, you need to get a good start. If he could improve on that, I think he can do very well."

Crawford also sang Thompson's praises for the strides which the runner has made this year, and agreed with fellow former T&T sprint star Ato Boldon that he can conceivably dip under 9.8 seconds.

Thompson was recently the recipient of a lucrative deal with Nike, after some steady improvement, which saw him ducking under 10 seconds a few times this year.

"Although they (Nike) have signed him for the Olympic Games, their concern is not this year. Their concern is down the road. They are very much aware he needs to develop he's not a naturally strong person, he's still developing, and I think the next one or two years when he really develops, he'll be awesome."

Another pleasing prospect for Crawford, who heads to Beijing next week, just in time for the start of the track and field events, is the T&T relay team.

"They ran 38.00 (seconds) and their baton passing was poor. If they can repeat that 38.00, they'll be among the medals. To win, they'll have to run 37. I think they do have the talent to do that."

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford: Burns can be dark horse
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
So if burn works on his starts he can run like a sub 9.90
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:24:53 AM »
If Burns run sub 9.9 he tekkin additional dosage.

Yuh cyah jes be runnin 10.1 or thereabouts consistently and all of a sudden drop to 9.8 sumting.

Is years now he startin bad.  He go get it right jes so now?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
If Burns run sub 9.9 he tekkin additional dosage.

Yuh cyah jes be runnin 10.1 or thereabouts consistently and all of a sudden drop to 9.8 sumting.

Is years now he startin bad.  He go get it right jes so now?

Yes you can get it right just so. The start is a TECHNICALl thing. Stop yuh blasted innuendo
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
...and didn't Bolt break the world record after only his fifth 100 metres race ? ...dem split second thing is within reach of all dem fellas ...right start, wind and fast track and any number of them fellas could break ah world record.... who knows how fqast this beijing track is ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:57:15 AM »
...and didn't Bolt break the world record after only his fifth 100 metres race ? ...dem split second thing is within reach of all dem fellas ...right start, wind and fast track and any number of them fellas could break ah world record.... who knows how fast this beijing track is ?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
plenty people not watching out for tt sprinters, i like that, let hem focus on us and jamaica, tt in he shadows for now :beermug:

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 04:57:16 PM »
T&T will upset either JA or US in 100m  or 4X100.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »
pffft, once again it would take a miracle for u guys to win nuttin. Bolt, Powell, Gay and Atkins would all have to false start, get injured, shot, or fall in the race for a Trini to win. In the relay, just pray that one of us drop the baton. That's your only chance.
Smoke and Fly

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »
pffft, once again it would take a miracle for u guys to win nuttin. Bolt, Powell, Gay and Atkins would all have to false start, get injured, shot, or fall in the race for a Trini to win. In the relay, just pray that one of us drop the baton. That's your only chance.

So dat means Powell eh go foul out or choke at a big meet again right ? ...good for him ...dat mind ting eh easy to conquer
Bolt go start good ....
Gay go recover and run 4 hard races ....
...well I guess yuh have it down pat !!! Dais de medals dere ....
Ah wonder if all yuh MVP coach as confident dat de foreigner in the group eh go cause an upset ?
I eh no jamaican hater as I am sure you know , in fact one of my heroes is half jamaican and ah know he reading dis ,
but You are a brave man to call dis one so confidently . Jamaicans are the favourites for sure but that goes with a price doesn't it ...pressssuuurrre !!!! Hope dey could handle it ...

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 04:08:20 PM »

So dat means Powell eh go foul out or choke at a big meet again right ? ...good for him ...dat mind ting eh easy to conquer
Bolt go start good ....
Gay go recover and run 4 hard races ....
...well I guess yuh have it down pat !!! Dais de medals dere ....
Ah wonder if all yuh MVP coach as confident dat de foreigner in the group eh go cause an upset ?
I eh no jamaican hater as I am sure you know , in fact one of my heroes is half jamaican and ah know he reading dis ,
but You are a brave man to call dis one so confidently . Jamaicans are the favourites for sure but that goes with a price doesn't it ...pressssuuurrre !!!! Hope dey could handle it ...

It's not just JA. U got the US athletes and the Bahamian to contend with.
Smoke and Fly

1]; } ?>