April 27, 2024, 01:14:34 AM

Author Topic: Warriors leave for world cup qualifier.  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Warriors leave for world cup qualifier.
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior footballers will depart for their next 2010 World Cup assignment at 7am on Friday as they begin a two-nation road trip before arriving in Cuba for their August 20 fixture.

The Aurtis-Whitley led team will head to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti via Miami where they will face the Haitians on Sunday before making the trip over to Washington to face El Salvador in another friendly on August 14 at the RFK Stadium.

The squad went through its final training session on local soil at the Larry Gomes Stadium on Wednesday without any hiccups with Whitley the only member who is not fully fit as he is coming off an ankle problem. He is however expected to be ready to play a part in the upcoming matches.

In his absence, defender Cyd Gray has led the team and the Tobago-born is expecting nothing but three points for the “Soca Warriors” in Havana.

“We are working hard and our focus is Cuba. We need to start the round on a winning note” Gray told TTFF Media.  “The next two friendlies will allow us to see where we are in terms of our preparations and the coach will make his observations and plans for the Cuba game. Winning matches is always a boost and we have come victorious in our last three matches. Now we have another three to win hopefully.

Midfielder Densill Theobald, an ex-captain, believes that the team is improving in good stride though he expects Cuba to be tougher than most expect.

“We could never afford to underestimate any team and Cuba is always a tricky team to face. I think  playing them away from home is going to be difficult and we need to ensure everything is spot on for us. This game could open up a lot for the rest of the semi-final stage because they will not want to lose first at home and a win for us would be a great start,” Theobald added.

He also commented on the absence of Dwight Yorke, due to injury, from the squad to face Cuba.

“Having Dwight in the team will always be a plus. I think he can definitely bring a lot to the team even at his age now but its unfortunate that he may not be with us for the Cuba match. The players would have loved to have him around because he brings a certain spark when he’s around. At the same time though I think the players in the team at this moment are progressing nicely and we should be able to pull it off in Cuba. But Dwight coming back in will definitely be a boost for the upcoming games,” the Caledonia AIA midfielder said.

The team will travel without trainer/physio Wayne Lawson who was forced to sit out the trip at the last moment due to medical reasons and his place will be filled by Dave Isaac. The selected quota of overseas-based players will join the team in Havana for the qualifying encounter.

Warner wishes team well.

All the way from Beijing where he’s witnessing the Olympic Football Finals, FIFA Vice President Jack Warner commented on the team’s shaping towards the Cuba encounter.

“I expect that the team will perform at a level that will make us proud and bring home the win. It would be a perfect way to start the semi-final round but they shall be advised that playing Cuba in Cuba will be no easy task and we will have to dig deep to get the desired result. And the games in Haiti or against El Salvador should not be taken lightly. The team’s encounter in Haiti is much more than a mere friendly. The trip holds much more significance because of the type of country of which Haiti is. Our boys must realize playing there is in many ways a gift to the people who live in struggle everyday. They will no doubt want to win at home but we shall continue our winning ways,’ Warner said.

The Concacaf President also shared his views on the appearance of Lionel Messi in Argentina’s 2-1 win over Côte d'Ivoire.

“I am advised that Messi said he became an International star because of having first represented his country and therefore he's prepared to represent his country once again whenever he's called - CAS or no CAS - his country comes before his club, whatever the consequences. This is the mettle of which true national players are made and for whom I am sure every country will dream to have in its National Team."

Squad of players for matches vs Haiti and El Salvador

1.Marvin Phillips
2.Cleon John
3.Makan Hislop
4.Densill Theobold
5.Cyd Gray
6.Aurtis Whitley
7.Aklie Edwards
8.Keyeno Thomas
9.Radanfah Abu Bakr
10.Keon Daniel
11.Khaleem Hyland
12.Gyasi Joyce
13.Kerry Baptiste
14.Akeil Guevara 
15.Anthony Wolfe
16.Clyde Leon 
17.Cornell Glen
18.Andre Toussaint
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors leave for world cup qualifier.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
Good Luck Warriors...we right here behind yall

Ok..next step start to pepper the Local Channels to show the Cuba game...cuz if they dont show that...that would be total madness

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:11:05 AM »
yes...blessings to tnt... lets get that game on TV...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Seein dat de headline say "Warriors leave for World Cup Qualifier" and yuh have a 18 man squad named to fly out, I guess that means all 18 goin Cuba too.

I THINK the stipulation for WCQ's is that a maximum of 22 players are to be named to any team.  If this is accurate, then it would mean one of 2 things:

1 - Only 4 foreign based players gettin selected for the WCQ against Cuba

OR

2 - Some of the players who make the trip to Haiti and Washington gettin leff behind for the trip to Cuba.

If is #1, ah wonder which 4 will get pick?  Dennis Lawrence, Carlos Edwards, Stern John & who?  Me Mum?  Scotty (unlikely as he supposed to be injured), Sealey?  Connell?  We know it eh go be Ince.  Unlikely to be Spann.  Yorkie definitely out. 

Looks like young Atullah Guerra definitely out de pichure.  De lesson dey might be tryin to teach he is "De coach is always right.  Even when de coach wrong, he right."  Hope de technical staff know wha dey doin.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:25:09 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
boy i real love how TTFF or whoever book these freindlies.  Instead they play the El Salvador game first and then do the Haiti one next and then fly from Haiti to Cuba, they do it the complete opposite but I guess that made too much sense???

Doh worry i juss poking de fire  ;D  but I guess it goes on the schedule of the stadiums it held in as well.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »
Oh yeah and good luck tuh we warriors, I still hoping tuh represent SW.net in Cuba, just looking for some good prices to see if i could get down dere and den jump wall tuh get in  ;D

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
Seein dat de headline say "Warriors leave for World Cup Qualifier" and yuh have a 18 man squad named to fly out, I guess that means all 18 goin Cuba too.

I THINK the stipulation for WCQ's is that a maximum of 22 players are to be named to any team.  If this is accurate, then it would mean one of 2 things:

OR

2 - Some of the players who make the trip to Haiti and Washington gettin leff behind for the trip to Cuba.

If is #1, ah wonder which 4 will get pick?  Dennis Lawrence, Carlos Edwards, Stern John & who?  Me Mum?  Scotty (unlikely as he supposed to be injured), Sealey?  Connell?  We know it eh go be Ince.  Unlikely to be Spann.  Yorkie definitely out. 

Looks like young Atullah Guerra definitely out de pichure.  De lesson dey might be tryin to teach he is "De coach is always right.  Even when de coach wrong, he right."  Hope de technical staff know wha dey doin.
I'm sure that's ah journalist error, this team don't even have some of the best locals. i could be wrong but i seriously doubt it.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

OR

I'm sure that's ah journalist error, this team don't even have some of the best locals. i could be wrong but i seriously doubt it.

Dey go take one team for 2 matches and pick a totally different squad for a a game against Cuba 5 days later?  For a Federation that always complainin how dem broke?

Ah guess anyting possible wit dem fellas eh.  But jes curious.  Which of the "best local players" missin?  I seein names who figure in most a de matches so far.   If is anyting....we very thin up front with only Cornell Glenn and Andre Toussaint as recongnised strikers.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
Anybody know what the deal is with Leslie Fitzpatrick? Why is he not in the team? :-\
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »
Anybody know what the deal is with Leslie Fitzpatrick? Why is he not in the team? :-\

Not good enough.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Palos,

I feel they will only call Stern, Tallest and Carlos.

Pacho like Keon Daniel and go play him on the left. Clyde Leon handling it and yuh have Theobold, Hyland, Wolfe, Baptisite, Guevara and Whitley to fight it out for 3 spots.

Edwards, Hyland and Whitley place locked..so is really 1-2 spots.

If we playing 1 forward I want Stern to start.  Put Glenn as a sub or better yet switch to 4-4-2 and play both of them.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
Palos,

Pacho like Keon Daniel and go play him on the left. Clyde Leon handling it and yuh have Theobold, Hyland, Wolfe, Baptisite, Guevara and Whitley to fight it out for 3 spots.

If we playing 1 forward I want Stern to start.  Put Glenn as a sub or better yet switch to 4-4-2 and play both of them.

I totally agree with yuh.

The starting XI against Cuba, barring injury, could well be:

Marvin Phillips
Cyd Gray
Makan Hislop
Dennis Lawrence
Gyasi Joyce (dem seem to like him)
Khaleem Hyland
Clyde Leon
Aurtis Whitley
Keon Daniel
Densil Theobald
Stern John

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
The Fourth player is Darrly Roberts. The overseas Carlos- tallest- Stern- Roberts

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
Not going to CUBA- Cleon John, Aklie Edwards. Abu Bakr, Gyasi Joyce. Kerry Baptiste, Akeel Guevara, Anthony Wolfe.

Williams as the second goalie, Avery John as left back.together with Tallest, Carlos, stern and Roberts.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:03:20 PM »
The Fourth player is Darrly Roberts. The overseas Carlos- tallest- Stern- Roberts

Thanks.  I clean forget Darryl yes.  He in Turkey now ent?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

Thanks.  I clean forget Darryl yes.  He in Turkey now ent?

Yes he in Turkey.

But here this, how allyuh forgetting so? Old age picking up with allyuh?

First and formost, 22 players dont make up a side for an international match, that only occurs in tournaments and the number is in fact 23 (3 keepers).

Secondly, i aint like how allyuh forget Avery John.  Touches, you especially, who we going and put on de left?

Avery had a good game against Haiti and he showed that the left back spot is his own.

Overseas call ups! - Stern, Roberts, Tallest, Avery, Birchall (and i aint too sure about him since he aint have no club and if they wanted him, he would have been on the plane to Haiti easy easy) and Carlos!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 01:34:34 PM »

Secondly, i aint like how allyuh forget Avery John.  Touches, you especially, who we going and put on de left?

Avery had a good game against Haiti and he showed that the left back spot is his own.

I disagree with that.. His game against Haiti was average at best, below average imo..

but i am all in favor of his inclusion for the Cuba games and beyond.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
1000 pardons..I forget avery in truth.

But in all honesty, if Stern or Carlos get drop, I wouldn't be surprised.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »

Is 10 men you like to see T&T play wit or wha?  Ah tort u does support T&T?  ;D ;D

Offline jaws

• DC/MD Warrior
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Arima massive!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 01:58:26 PM »
can't wait to see dem boys in RFK, ah leavin wuk early with a cooler ah carib...
"Greatness is not one big thing being done: it's all the small things being done well"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
Least we forget how the powers to be does operate.

First we go try to get through the preliminary rounds on a low budget team with a low budget coach; if yuh see we catching we arse and in a predicament NOW we go call upon the 'star' boys and look fuh a 'BIG NAME ' coach.

Ah mean how yuh go have  'friendlies' using one set ah men and then  boodoops yuh pick up three new men and say come  leh we play some ball now?

What happen to  men like Randi Patterson? Julius James? Osie Telesford? Darryl Roberts?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »

I disagree with that.. His game against Haiti was average at best, below average imo..

Have we had a left full back in recent times that better than Avery out right?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »

No we haven't, not even close.

What that have to do with the fact that he play some shit against Haiti?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

No we haven't, not even close.

What that have to do with the fact that he play some shit against Haiti?

That's what I was wondering. I not arguing how he play cause me eh see and I know you was there. It kind of worrying that he has been our best performer in that position and had a stinker while cementing that spot.
What we go do?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 04:06:01 PM »
well to be fair connell wasn't helping him defensively at all, and the lil haitian right back and right winger was having some fun on that side especially in the first half.. he was a lil more solid in the 2nd half..

but offensively i find it was plenty tootoo, only hoofing de ball to nobody..

so nothing about that performance 'cement he spot' per se (that is AS opinion), but we really eh have no other left backs so the spot was done cemented to start with.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
well to be fair connell wasn't helping him defensively at all, and the lil haitian right back and right winger was having some fun on that side especially in the first half.. he was a lil more solid in the 2nd half..

but offensively i find it was plenty tootoo, only hoofing de ball to nobody..

so nothing about that performance 'cement he spot' per se (that is AS opinion), but we really eh have no other left backs so the spot was done cemented to start with.
He does always do that Horse sh!t !! go back and watch all his previous performances, I like to call him kick away Avery, and his twin brother kick away cyd.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
Avery have dat position sign, seal and delivered nobody eh look close d best LB I ever c was Marvin Faustin but unless he return in he old age is Avery
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:45 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior footballers will depart for their next 2010 World Cup assignment at 7am on Friday as they begin a two-nation road trip before arriving in Cuba for their August 20 fixture.

The Aurtis-Whitley led team will head to Port-Au-Prince, Haiti via Miami where they will face the Haitians on Sunday before making the trip over to Washington to face El Salvador in another friendly on August 14 at the RFK Stadium.

Fuentes... there's no use of the article preceding the name of the stadium, dai's ah Trinidad thing.  is like saying "at THE Wembley Stadium"... is juss RFK Stadium, or familiarly, RFK.

Good luck warriors... get some scalps.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:52 AM »
Any amount of foreign base players can get call back..  Darryl Roberts,  Avery John, Stern  John, Carlos Edwards, Jason Scotland,  Dennis Lawrence, and Chris Birchall.  All Maturana will do is inactivate other players and just keep them around for practise squad players.

Video of the Trinidad arrive in Haiti.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwywn6v57Gc
Look like they reach iraq instead  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:52:34 AM by Babalawo »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 05:50:40 AM »
Palos,

I totally agree with yuh.

The starting XI against Cuba, barring injury, could well be:

Marvin Phillips
Cyd Gray
Makan Hislop
Dennis Lawrence
Gyasi Joyce (dem seem to like him)
Khaleem Hyland
Clyde Leon
Aurtis Whitley
Keon Daniel
Densil Theobald
Stern John

I feel they will go with this squad

Palos me eh know sah...for one thing yuh miss out Carlos ....no way them fellas starting in front him .... The midfield I like is Carlos , Whitley , Clyde Leon and well I know they will push Hyland in there ...upfront Cornell and Stern ....nobody else been scoring or doing anything because I know they wont call back Scotty....um defense wiseee...Cyd keno and Hislop and I really dunno if they going to call back Avery or Tallest ...but is a toss up between Keno and Hislop and they might give it to Hislop to try and push they youth element thing

1]; } ?>