April 28, 2024, 08:04:28 AM

Author Topic: opening ceremony olympics  (Read 4755 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
opening ceremony olympics
« on: August 09, 2008, 08:41:20 AM »
it was besss

but allyuh doh get vex when yuh see ah country population is 30.2 mil and they sending 8 athletes

like friggin india who have ah billion and change and send bout 20 men

worst yet them arab countries who aint sending de oman dem and iraq flagbearer sweet no rass

china still ah country full ah imps in my book

them cyar even lick posts on ah discussion board like they in de stone ages
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: opening ceremony olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
Dat chinese alphabet is stress me eh c TNT pass yet who we was after
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
anybody have a video clip of the team coming into the stadium?
Thanks
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
Weary girl we were 3-4 countries after Canada...
doh worry nah i an all was getting blasted vex when ah couldnah follow dey alphabet

dese are dey times ah wish meh chinee midget did exist :(
Trinidad ain't look bad nah...wid dey red white and black outfit
Bovell wid he blue eye and dem hold dat flag like he was in dey regiment oui...man ain't smile, show no emotion....NOTHING.

ya woulda tink dem trinis woulda do ah little chip chip walkin ein dey stadium.
ah should tell meh friend Indra to go wave flag nex time :devil:

on ah side note
ah hear dey kill ah american and wounded another
but dem is visitors and related to dey indoor polo coach (confirmation on dat part please?)

canada hold china to 1-1 in football (ladies)
and japan cuting USA ass in volleyball...

ah gone
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:19:06 AM by TriniCana »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
I din even see the whole thing and was totally impressed.

I find it  ridiculous how some of these countries sending so few athletes . I doh find it have anything to justify that. It have all kinda  sports in the Olympics.

Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Boxing
Canoe/Kayak Flatwater
Canoe/Kayak Slalom
Cycling BMX
Cycling Mountain Bike
Cycling Road
Cycling Track
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics Artistic
Gymnastics Rhythmic
Trampoline
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Swimming
Synchronized Swimming
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »
I eh here nutten bout d murders a good friend a minds there as a chapel likeI go have 2 pray more 4 he
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:09 AM »
on ah side note
ah hear dey kill ah american and wounded another
but dem is visitors and related to dey indoor polo coach (confirmation on dat part please?)
unfortunately it is true

Saturday, August 9, 2008
Stabbing victim father of '04 U.S. Olympian, father-in-law of coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

BEIJING -- The victims of a deadly stabbing attack at a tourist site in Beijing on the first day of the Olympic Games were the in-laws of the U.S. men's volleyball coach, the U.S Olympic Committee said Saturday.

The committee said Todd Bachman of Lakeville, Minn., the father of former U.S. Olympian Elisabeth Bachman, was killed. His wife, Barbara, suffered "serious and life-threatening" injuries and was transported to a local hospital for emergency treatment.

Personnel from the USOC and the United States Embassy were assisting the Bachman family at the hospital, the committee said.

Todd Bachman was president and CEO of Bachman's Inc., a Minneapolis-area garden center chain founded by his great-grandfather, Henry Bachman Sr., in 1885.

Their daughter, Elisabeth Bachman, a member of the 2004 U.S. women's volleyball team, is married to U.S. men's volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon. She was present during the attack but was not injured, according to the USOC.

The man committed suicide by throwing himself from the second story of the site, the 13th century Drum Tower, just five miles from the main Olympics site.

The brutal attack shortly after midday was all the more shocking because of the rarity of violent crime against foreigners in tightly controlled China, which has ramped up security measures even more for the Olympics.

The stabbing came only hours after what by many accounts was the most spectacular opening ceremony in Olympic history and it has already dampened some of the enthusiasm.

"They are deeply saddened and shocked," Darryl Seibel, a spokesman for the U.S. Olympic Committee, said of the volleyball team.

"It is impossible to describe the depth of our sadness and shock in this tragic hour," said USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth. "Our delegation comes to the Games as a family, and when one member of our family suffers a loss, we all grieve with them. Our thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences are with the Bachman and McCutcheon families."

The official Xinhua News Agency identified the attacker as Tang Yongming, 47, from the eastern city of Hangzhou. It said Tang attacked the two Americans and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured, at 12:20 p.m. on the second level of the ancient tower, then leapt to his death immediately afterward. The second level of the tower is about 130 feet high.

Seibel said the two Americans who were attacked were not wearing anything that would have identified them as Americans or part of the U.S. team.

"They were not wearing apparel or anything that would have specifically identified them as being members of our delegation" or as Americans, he told The Associated Press.

He said it is "too early to say" whether the U.S. delegation or athletes will require additional security.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Richard Buangan said it was aware of an incident involving two Americans and was working with Chinese authorities to find out more. He said U.S. officials were in contact with relatives of the two Americans who are in Beijing.

"Out of respect for the families involved, we can't say more than that," Don Q. Washington, another embassy spokesman, told reporters.

The White House said President Bush, who is in Beijing for the opening days of the Games, was informed of the incident.

"Laura and I were also saddened by the attack on an American family and their Chinese tour guide today in Beijing. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. And the United States government has offered to provide any assistance the family needs."

A USA basketball spokesman told ESPN.com that the U.S. men's basketball team was briefed on the attack by its director of security, Bernie Tolbert, and by the assistant executive director of men's basketball programs, Sean Ford. The team had no further comment.

Police blocked off streets leading to the Drum Tower immediately after the attack and cordoned off the area with yellow police tape. Security officers were examining the scene on the tower and below.

Attacks on foreigners in China are extremely rare. A Canadian model was murdered last month in Shanghai, but police said that was because she stumbled onto a burglary.

In March, a screaming, bomb-strapped hostage-taker who commandeered a bus with 10 Australians aboard in the popular tourist city of Xi'an was shot to death by a police sniper.

Shanghai and Beijing are still safer than most foreign cities of their size. Punishments for crimes against foreigners are heavier than for crimes against Chinese, and police-linked neighborhood watch groups are highly vigilant. Chinese are not allowed to own guns.

Even so, the U.S. government now warns Americans against muggings, beatings and even carjackings, especially in the nightlife and shopping districts of large cities.

Built in the 13th century, the Drum Tower is one of the few ancient structures still in Beijing, and was used to tell time in imperial China for the city, using drummers who pounded their instruments to mark the hours. It is located on an important central axis of the city, to the north of the Forbidden City, the former home of the emperor.

International Olympic Committee spokeswoman Emmanuelle Moreau said in a statement that the committee had received reports of the attack and was in contact with Beijing Games organizers "to find out full details, and are ready to provide whatever assistance we can."

ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | News Archive | Site Map | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
©2008 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3526793&type=story
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:26:55 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »
Yep somebody start a thread pressure

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
Jah from what I was reading this morning, the majority of the athletes didn't go to the opening ceremony mainly because some of them were far from the site, some haven't arrived yet, some still in training in other parts of china, others had their competition soon after the ceremony. People who are in the medical team, helpers etc were the ones that basically represent their country in the parade

But agreed i totally enjoyed the creativity of it all. Richest opening ceremony in Olympics history.
Some of the creativiness brought me back to Peter Minishall's brand in uhmm what year it was Olympics.

But weary critics way before they put the first foundation down for the stadium for the games in China stated that the US would be a target. Me ain't surprise.

But Russia and Georgian have athletes at the games also. Watch and see bachannel nah :-\
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 09:34:19 AM by TriniCana »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
I find it  ridiculous how some of these countries sending so few athletes . I doh find it have anything to justify that. It have all kinda  sports in the Olympics.
Yeah, I heard this story on the news last night about the Canadian team
Many Canadian athletes were not there
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080806/cda_bgoc_08086/20080806?s_name=beijing2008&no_ads=
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
I din even see the whole thing and was totally impressed.

Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Boxing
Canoe/Kayak Flatwater
Canoe/Kayak Slalom
Cycling BMX
Cycling Mountain Bike
Cycling Road
Cycling Track
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics Artistic
Gymnastics Rhythmic
Trampoline
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Swimming
Synchronized Swimming
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

You can't just up and decide tuh send athletes... yuh have to qualify fuh de Olympics on an international level as well.  In addition to which, it costs money to put up these athletes and all ah dat...remember this Olympics thing is ah luxury thing fuh boasting rights, people back home still have to eat.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »
Thanks

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
Yes Bakes I did consider all theses things.But  taking into consideration population size and economic status it still doesn't add up. Some countries simply don't take sport as seriously as others thus producing fewer athletes who are actually good enough to qualify for different sports at the Olympics.

Cuba has 168 athletes at the Olympics. They have about 11 million people and are by no means rich. The Cubans however have rich tradition in supporting sport. Small developing countries in Caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Bahamas tend to do well at athletics and have sent considerable delegations again. Grenada has sent 8 athletes 4 in Track and 4 in boxing. Paraguay  on the other hand with over 6 Million people,  sent 7.  An oil rich state like the United Arab Emirates with 5 million people sent only 6 athletes. Dem oil-rich Middle Eastern states is chronic offenders in my book- Kuwait, Oman , Suadi Arabia  . They even giving men citizenship just to send more athletes.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:52:36 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBZzP9DdXjU

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Yes Bakes I did consider all theses things.But  taking into consideration population size and economic status it still doesn't add up. Some countries simply don't take sport as seriously as others thus producing fewer athletes who are actually good enough to qualify for different sports at the Olympics.

Cuba has 168 athletes at the Olympics. They have about 11 million people and are by no means rich. The Cubans however have rich tradition in supporting sport. Small developing countries in Caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Bahamas tend to do well at athletics and have sent considerable delegations again. Grenada has sent 8 athletes 4 in Track and 4 in boxing. Paraguay  on the other hand with over 6 Million people,  sent 7.  An oil rich state like the United Arab Emirates with 5 million people sent only 6 athletes. Dem oil=rich Middle Eastern states is chronic offenders in my book- Kuwait, Oman , Suadi Arabia  . They even giving men citizenship just to send more athletes.  

No doubt... without a sporting tradition countries are less likely to send large contingents to the Olympics.  Interesting thing cross mih mind as yuh mentioned those Middle East teams though...how many of these Middle Eastern teams have a tradition of competing in the events we're seeing at the Olympics... like Track, Volleyball etc.   Kinda hard to field an Olympic caliber entry in a sport that's not even big in your own country.

I do agree with your central point though... some countries could do more by investing in the sports development domestically.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »
Dat chinese alphabet is stress me eh c TNT pass yet who we was after

That made me tune out ...

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 01:41:23 PM »
Jah from what I was reading this morning, the majority of the athletes didn't go to the opening ceremony mainly because some of them were far from the site, some haven't arrived yet, some still in training in other parts of china, others had their competition soon after the ceremony. People who are in the medical team, helpers etc were the ones that basically represent their country in the parade

But agreed i totally enjoyed the creativity of it all. Richest opening ceremony in Olympics history.
Some of the creativiness brought me back to Peter Minishall's brand in uhmm what year it was Olympics.

But weary critics way before they put the first foundation down for the stadium for the games in China stated that the US would be a target. Me ain't surprise.

But Russia and Georgian have athletes at the games also. Watch and see bachannel nah :-\

yea. none of our track and field athletes was there, daiz why we contingent look so scanty. dey was still en route. somewhere in south korea
but dem chinese an dem real creative. and d choreography was so precise. best openin ceremony i see in all my years

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »
Some random thoughts:

I thought the aussies had ah bess ceremony, but to echo everybody else china own was boss..especially them opening drummers

I see some small country I never even know existed

Some of the smaller african countries send some sawweet lookin women to run track

I eh like how de crowd cheer Iraq and jeer Iran

I miss the CBC coverage in de mornin..so ah had to settle for the NBC at night..dey gih we ah lil  5 second bligh as the team walk in , I feel only because Ato wukkin wit dem

I surprise Taiwan reach..and get such ah nice reaction

some chirren come out and dey say it represent the 54 ethnic groups in china...I stunned to hear it have dat much

Place hot like hell Sarkozy SWEATIN no ass in he suit.

Dem poor cheerleader gyirls who was surrounding the track..SO enthusiastic in the 1st 30 minutes...after 2 hours all ah dem bun half eh even wavin no more

Yao Ming eh playin he big no ass oui, de small man hero was with have a strut like ah gyangsta

Dey break up North and south korea...politrix again
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »
Yep dat opening was d boss d story bout d yute was really inspirational he lil small 4 9 thou

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 08:33:37 AM »
Yeah dat opening ceremony was de bomb!!......Dem friggine Chinese eh bet de agile nah....what bout dem runners on de globe??.....some of them would have been running parallel to the ground   :o
De next country to host go have to come real, real, real good to top this one....

Ah think was the 1992 event in Barcelona Spain....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »

Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Boxing
Canoe/Kayak Flatwater
Canoe/Kayak Slalom
Cycling BMX
Cycling Mountain Bike
Cycling Road
Cycling Track
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics Artistic
Gymnastics Rhythmic
Trampoline
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Swimming
Synchronized Swimming
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

That is all I'm interested in....
Chinese under pressure from dey Government to bring home medals gold oui  :-\

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
All I does really watch is Track (100m 110 hurdles, 200, 400, and the relays), Gynastics , some Swimming and Football. I might take in bits of the Weightlifting and Marathon too. Anything else is just random.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
anybody have this available for download?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
Yep dat opening was d boss d story bout d yute was really inspirational he lil small 4 9 thou

No doubt. Lil yute; big hero.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
Some random thoughts:

I thought the aussies had ah bess ceremony, but to echo everybody else china own was boss..especially them opening drummers

I see some small country I never even know existed

Some of the smaller african countries send some sawweet lookin women to run track

I eh like how de crowd cheer Iraq and jeer Iran

I miss the CBC coverage in de mornin..so ah had to settle for the NBC at night..dey gih we ah lil  5 second bligh as the team walk in , I feel only because Ato wukkin wit dem

I surprise Taiwan reach..and get such ah nice reaction

some chirren come out and dey say it represent the 54 ethnic groups in china...I stunned to hear it have dat much

Place hot like hell Sarkozy SWEATIN no ass in he suit.

Dem poor cheerleader gyirls who was surrounding the track..SO enthusiastic in the 1st 30 minutes...after 2 hours all ah dem bun half eh even wavin no more

Yao Ming eh playin he big no ass oui, de small man hero was with have a strut like ah gyangsta

Dey break up North and south korea...politrix again

I didn't see the most of the ceremony - although i caught a couple of the bells and whistles. One of the moments I did see was Bush and Putin exchange a lil comment ... mih distractor commented ' dey must be talking something serious' ... which I dismissed (not in front of Laura and in public etc) buh in de meanwhile, in between time ... freaking Putin wreaking havoc in South Ossetia ... go figure.

Yep, the Han kinda like the notion of minimal ethnic identity but pardners in Xinjiang Province eh wukkin on that premise atall tall atall.

Ent Henry Kissinger look like he was bussing a big sleep in de middle a de basketball?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
anybody have this available for download?

Torrent here
or Here [HD]

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
Apparently all that glitters isn't gold...

Olympic Balladeer’s Voice Was Dubbed

August 13, 2008

By JIM YARDLEY

BEIJING — Pigtailed and smiling, Lin Miaoke, age 9, stood in a red dress and white shoes during Friday’s Olympic opening ceremonies and performed “Ode to the Motherland” in what would become one of the evening’s most indelible images: a lone child, fireworks blazing overhead, singing a patriotic ballad before an estimated one billion viewers.

Except that her proud father, Lin Hui, noticed “that the voice was a little different from hers.” On Tuesday, Mr. Lin said in a telephone interview that he had assumed “the difference might be caused by the acoustics.”

Acoustics had nothing to do with it. Under pressure from the highest levels of the ruling Communist Party to find the perfect face and voice, the ceremonies’ production team concluded that the best solution was to use two girls instead of one.

Miaoke, a third grader, was judged cute and appealing but “not suitable” as a singer. Another girl, Yang Peiyi, 7, was judged the best singer but not as cute.

So when Miaoke opened her mouth to sing, the voice that was actually heard was a recording of Peiyi.

And it is unclear if Miaoke even knew.

“The reason was for the national interest,” explained Chen Qigang, general music designer of the opening ceremonies, who revealed the deception Sunday during a radio interview. “The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feeling and expression.”

The Chinese government has taken great pains to present the best possible image to the outside world during the Olympics, and perfection was the goal for the dazzling opening ceremonies. The filmmaker Zhang Yimou, who oversaw the production, has earned international praise for staging a performance that many considered one of the most spectacular in Olympic history.

But to achieve the spectacular, not only did organizers fake the song, but they also have acknowledged that one early sequence of the stunning fireworks shown to television viewers actually included digitally enhanced computer graphics used for “theatrical effect.”

Using recorded music during large outdoor performances is hardly unprecedented.

At the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, for example, the famed tenor Luciano Pavarotti, then 70, lip-synched an aria because of his age and the cold weather. But the recording was still his voice.

After last Friday’s performance, Mr. Zhang appeared at a news conference with Chinese reporters and praised Miaoke.

“She’s very cute and sings quite well, too,” he said. Asked to name which section of the show he found most satisfying, he first mentioned Miaoke.

“I was moved every time we did a rehearsal on this, from the bottom of my heart,” he said, according to a transcript of the news conference.

Miaoke’s song was considered critical because it coincided with the arrival of the Chinese flag in the massive National Stadium, known as the Bird’s Nest.

In his radio interview, Mr. Chen said a member of the Communist Party’s powerful Politburo, whom he did not identify, attended one of the last rehearsals, along with many other officials, and demanded that Miaoke’s voice “must change.”

By Tuesday, the Chinese news media had already pounced on the story, instigating a national conversation that government censors were trying to mute by stripping away many, but not all, of the public comments posted online.

Many remaining comments expressed outrage over the cold calculation used to appraise the girls.

“Please save the last bit of trueness in our children,” wrote one person, who used the online name Weirderhua. “They think Yang Peiyi’s smile is not cute enough? What we need is truth, not some fake loveliness! I hope the kids will not be hurt. This is not their fault.”

Another person added: “Children are innocent. Don’t contaminate their minds!”

Mr. Lin said his daughter had been under strict orders not to discuss plans for the performance. Indeed, he got only 15 minutes’ notice that she would be the singer, and he was thrilled as he watched on television. He learned only later of the voice switch, when he saw a video clip of the interview with the music director, Mr. Chen.

In that interview, on a program called “Beijing Music Radio,” Mr. Chen depicted a difficult process of selecting a child singer.

He said about 10 children had been chosen who “had a good image and who can sing well.”

Initially, a 10-year-old girl was selected “whose voice was really good.” This girl held the role for most of the rehearsals — until Mr. Zhang decided she was too old.

Then, Mr. Chen said, several younger girls, including Miaoke and Peiyi, were taken to the Central People’s Radio Station in Beijing.

“After the recording, we thought that Lin Miaoke’s voice was not very suitable,” Mr. Chen said. “Finally, we made the decision that the voice we would use was Yang Peiyi’s.”

But not the face: photos of Peiyi posted online show a happy girl with imperfect teeth, hardly an uncommon problem in China.

“Everyone should understand this in this way,” Mr. Chen said. “This is in the national interest. It is the image of our national music, national culture, especially during the entrance of our national flag. This is an extremely important, extremely serious matter.”

He added, “I think it is fair to both Lin Miaoke and Yang Peiyi.”

On Monday, Peiyi appeared on China Central Television, or CCTV, the state network. “I’m O.K. with it,” she told her interviewer, even performing a song. “My voice was used in the performance. I think that’s enough.”

Miaoke’s father, a news photographer at a Chinese newspaper, was worried about how she would take the news. Since age 6, Miaoke has worked in television advertisements, even appearing with the country’s wildly popular hurdling champion, Liu Xiang. Her appearance in the opening ceremonies made her an instant celebrity in China, and her image was reproduced around the world.

“Here’s something I want to tell you,” Mr. Lin said he had told his daughter. “The music director announced just now that it was not your voice when you were singing at the opening ceremony. The song was actually performed by you two girls.”

Mr. Lin said his daughter was not upset. He said that Miaoke and Peiyi were “good friends” and that Miaoke “doesn’t care who sang the song, as long as she performed.”

Then he added: “I don’t care about this either. The only thing I care about is that my daughter will not get hurt by this. She’ll understand when she grows up.”

Huang Yuanxi contributed research

http://nytimes.com/2008/08/13/sports/olympics/13beijing.html?hp
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:11:42 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 03:40:12 PM »
Milli Vanilli d olympic version

1]; } ?>