April 27, 2024, 12:45:28 PM

Author Topic: 10 famous Britons you've probably never heard of - Soca Warrior on the List  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i think the BBC like birchie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8172542.stm

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO - CHRIS BIRCHALL

The first white player in the Trinidad & Tobago side for 60 years, Chris Birchall cemented his hero status on the islands when he scored in the World Cup play-off in Bahrain in 2005.

It helped propel the national team to their first World Cup and the supporters made up a rap song in his honour. "The place has gone crazy," he said at the time.

Birchall was eligible to play for Trinidad and Tobago because his grandparents moved to the islands to work and his mother, Jennifer, was born in Port of Spain.

He was selected when the team's Dutch coach, Leo Beenhakker, learned of his eligiblity.

The Stafford-born midfielder was playing for Port Vale at the time, but the attention he drew during the World Cup - especially in the build-up to playing England in the group stages - helped him seal a move to Coventry.

He has now joined LA Galaxy and he replaced someone called David Beckham when he made his debut in May.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Niceness
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
didn't get to see the whole Barca-Galaxy game .... but you have to stand back and marvel at where hard work and dedication has taken Birchall, coupled with the exposure he has gotten from playing for TT.

Without him, TT would not be in the WC 06.
Without TT, he would not have gotten the exposure and attention of teams and coaches to help push his career along - which was sputtering a bit, and continued that way up until this year.
Now he's playing alongside Beckham, and in the last few weeks he's faced opposition like AC Milan and Barcelona. Imagine what the fellas at Port Vale and Coventry think about that now?
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile

The first white player in the Trinidad & Tobago side for 60 years, Chris Birchall cemented his hero status on the islands when he scored in the World Cup play-off in Bahrain in 2005.

It helped propel the national team to their first World Cup and the supporters made up a rap song in his honour.

a rap song? really?

about that first white player thing. I tired hear a lot of people say it not true, but can someone wiser tell me who were the other white players that play for us in the last six years? thanks.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
didn't get to see the whole Barca-Galaxy game .... but you have to stand back and marvel at where hard work and dedication has taken Birchall, coupled with the exposure he has gotten from playing for TT.

Without him, TT would not be in the WC 06.
Without TT, he would not have gotten the exposure and attention of teams and coaches to help push his career along - which was sputtering a bit, and continued that way up until this year.
Now he's playing alongside Beckham, and in the last few weeks he's faced opposition like AC Milan and Barcelona. Imagine what the fellas at Port Vale and Coventry think about that now?

True
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

It helped propel the national team to their first World Cup and the supporters made up a rap song in his honour.

a rap song? really?

about that first white player thing. I tired hear a lot of people say it not true, but can someone wiser tell me who were the other white players that play for us in the last six years? thanks.

rap or soca, I don't remember a song specifically about him. Which are they referring to?

As for the 60 yrs thing. With the research I've done I'm probably in a good position to figure it out, but I just don't care to. Does it really matter?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
he does play with heart.someting lackin with de born and bred.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
60 years is a long time but people like gerry gomez. clive pantin. ken galt and others from Shamrock/ casuals all played for T&T. Ten years maybe. Then again what does he mean by white.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
His career so far has truly been bizarre, but wonderful.

How does one go from Port Vale to the World Cup, his exploits with T&T, playing a massive part in our historic win over Mexico; scoring against Bahrain, playing in Azteca, joining LA in the midst of the Beckham controversy;playing with the former captain of his country and the best player in American history in Donovan; and then playing matches vs Milan and Barcelona where he went up against Ronaldinho and Toure.

I would love to see him write his autobiography after his career.
Hart for president

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

rap or soca, I don't remember a song specifically about him. Which are they referring to?

I think it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-E1qTVJgE
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando

I think it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-E1qTVJgE

I just got "not available in your country due to copyright restrictions"

:rotfl:
throw parties, not grenades.

1]; } ?>