April 16, 2024, 06:12:13 AM

Author Topic: Maturana names 18-man squad to face Cuba in W/Cup qualifiers.  (Read 13479 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Maturana names 18-man squad to face Cuba in W/Cup qualifiers.
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
Maturana names 18-man squad to face Cuba in W/Cup qualifiers.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Francisco Maturana announced his 18-man squad to face Cuba in next Wednesday’s world cup qualifier against Cuba in Havana on the eve of the team’s departure from Washington where it played El Salvador on Thursday.

The squad include twelve players who were part of the contingent for the two warm up internationals against Haiti and El Salvador over the past week. Six overseas professionals have been invited and will join the team in Havana with some of them arriving there from Friday.

The invited overseas pros include Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence, Sunderland midfielder Carlos Edwards, Ferencvaros FC goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, Miami FC defender Avery John, Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall and Denizlispor FC striker Darryl Roberts.

The other players included are goalkeeper Marvin Phillip (W Connection), Makan Hislop (United Petotrin), Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public), Cyd Gray (Clico San Juan Jabloteh), Clyde Leon (W Connection), Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Khaleem Hyland (unattached), Aurtis Whitley (W Connection), Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars), Andre Toussaint (W Connection) and speedy striker Cornell Glen who is currently undergoing contract negotiations with an overseas club. Maturana commented on his selection, citing the importance of a good start for the team in Havana.

“I believe these players can be well put together to bring us the performance and the result which will be good for us in Cuba. We start the round away from home and that is always a difficult task but we will play the game with all the passion and purpose to bring home a good result –a win,” Maturana told TTFF Media.

Edwards should be the only late arriving player as he will be allowed to play for Sunderland in their Premiership opener against Liverpool on Saturday before joining the team in Havana a day later.

“I am looking forward to both games with a lot of excitement. It’s the start of the new season in England and it’s the start of the new qualifying round for the World Cup so obviously I want to be on two winning teams and I will try my best in both matches,” Edwards said. “I think if we can go to Cuba and get points then it would be the ideal start. We cannot underestimate them nor any of the other teams in the group which is why it will be a plus to get points off Cuba in their home venue.”

Edwards’ Sunderland teammate Dwight Yorke was not considered due to injury. Yorke’s World Cup teammate Densill Theobald doesn’t expect his absence to have a negative effect on the team though.

“Dwight’s presence always brings a lot to the team and when we heard he was making himself available again we felt good about it but I don’t think it’s a big setback with him not coming for the Cuba game. We have worked really hard over the past few weeks and the team has the type of experienced players needed to put out a good performance and get the result we are hoping for. When Dwight comes in he will boost the team but for now we will have to go out and get the job done,” Theobald added.

Meantime, the starting team for Thursday night’s friendly against El Salvador is: Marvin Phillip, Makan Hislop, Keyeno Thomas, Cyd Gray, Aklie Edwards, Densill Theobald, Clyde Leon, Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland, Andre Toussaint and Cornell Glen. Scouts from the United States and Cuba are expected to be at the RFK Stadium to witness Thursday’s friendly which according to the match organizers will draw close to 20,000 fans or more.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:58:43 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana names 18-man squad to face Cuba in W/Cup qualifiers.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
I think we are lacking quality stricking options and depth. Is it that we are planning to be defensive in these two matches ?

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »
glen wa club is dat boy?..i hope is a top flight somtin

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »
No Stern  ???
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
First he get bench for Forbes and now STERN GET DROP??  This is the final nail in the coffin for Maturana.

Stern on his worst day is 10 times the goal scoring threat that Toussaint is
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 04:31:29 PM by arrow »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »
Meantime, the starting team for Thursday night’s friendly against El Salvador is: Marvin Phillip, Makan Hislop, Keyeno Thomas, Cyd Gray, Aklie Edwards, Densill Theobald, Clyde Leon, Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland, Andre Toussaint and Cornell Glen.

Is that a 4-4-2 I see?  Who playing on the right side of midfield?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:23:03 PM »
No Stern  ???
He we get blank in the score sheet.   Maturana will get fired

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
No Stern?

The man who 2/3 goals for us in qualifying in this campaign so far and 6/10 goals for us in qualifying for 2006 not on de team?

We better beat Cuba 5-0!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »
Meantime, the starting team for Thursday night’s friendly against El Salvador is: Marvin Phillip, Makan Hislop, Keyeno Thomas, Cyd Gray, Aklie Edwards, Densill Theobald, Clyde Leon, Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland, Andre Toussaint and Cornell Glen.

Is that a 4-4-2 I see?  Who playing on the right side of midfield?
Hyland does play right side for Maturana too. although he's not build like one

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:28:48 PM »
This Maturana fella kinda confusing sometimes we...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
where stern  ???
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »
I think in his arrogance maturana considers Stern to be a disruptive element to the team. So ah buy it so ah sell it. He thinks that hthere is more love and greater purpose in and around the team when Stern is not present. Why is that ? I dont think Stern has much respect for him as human or as a coach.

Offline madness1969

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
we neeed 2 look at de latest players and give them a chance

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:31 PM »
I think in his arrogance maturana considers Stern to be a disruptive element to the team. So ah buy it so ah sell it. He thinks that hthere is more love and greater purpose in and around the team when Stern is not present. Why is that ? I dont think Stern has much respect for him as human or as a coach.

I think pacho lost his head were is he going with toussaint ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
Besides Stern...This side is the best we have available.

Like we playing for a draw or a 1-0 in Cuba.

Now way no how Toussaint should be there before Stern.

Glen score a tap in vs Haiti down here but he play in a good few games and he salting bad.

Unless he starting Roberts and bringing on Glenn as the super sub in the second half.

I want him keep Phillip in the goal.

Other than Stern, the defence locked, but the middle is a real headache...Whitley ent play a game for the longest while. He have two ineffective midfielders who need caps in Hyland and Daniel. Theobold in the mix, Birchall in the mix, Leon dey too and Edwards spot locked.

The invited overseas pros include Swansea City defender Dennis Lawrence, Sunderland midfielder Carlos Edwards, Ferencvaros FC goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, Miami FC defender Avery John, Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall and Denizlispor FC striker Darryl Roberts.

Phillip

Cyd          Hislop       Lawrence      Avery

Leon

Edwards     Whitley   Birchall/Theobold   Hyland/Daniel

Glenn/Roberts

The other players included are goalkeeper Marvin Phillip (W Connection), Makan Hislop (United Petotrin), Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public), Cyd Gray (Clico San Juan Jabloteh), Clyde Leon (W Connection), Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Khaleem Hyland (unattached), Aurtis Whitley (W Connection), Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars), Andre Toussaint (W Connection) and speedy striker Cornell Glen who is currently undergoing contract negotiations with an overseas club. Maturana commented on his selection, citing the importance of a good start for the team in Havana.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »

He is the typical latin american black man....very insecure, which shows up in his arrogance and as such totally abhors anytype of opposition, perceived or real. In Colombia he has to re-earn respect on a daily basis as a black man. Maybe he could coach. From the little I have seen I know he could coach but in order to show who is boss he would sacrifice whomever to keep his place of pride, which is believing he knows it all and he must not be second guessed.I saw this before and its name was Gally.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »

Like we playing for a draw or a 1-0 in Cuba.

we regress so much from  comprehensively beating  Cuba with an experimental side under wim in at the digicel  ...  to play for a draw in Cuba ? hope that is not the case ... cause cuba is the team we need to beat
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 05:08:01 PM »
Wow... Wow ...Wow..

Thats it folks...how we gonna score goals without the goalscorer?

I dont know about allyuh... but this is absolutely terrible...  How can a coach drop Stern John for Trinidad and Tobago when he is fit and available

I hope we lose... so dat f**king Colombian and his c**thole f**king assistants could get out of here 

f**k you Maturana Corneal and all others related...you have just crossed the line

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
D disruptive element is Ince so me eh know y he drop Stern. Dat man could get u in an accident imagine drivin and hearin no Stern. But is 5-0 we winnin how much is own goal?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
D disruptive element is Ince so me eh know y he drop Stern. Dat man could get u in an accident imagine drivin and hearin no Stern. But is 5-0 we winnin how much is own goal?

But ah just tell you why.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

I also don't see the value of Toussaint.  He is way too lightweight to play the position he plays.  He has ability but isn't anywhere near strong enough to be effective.

When you consider that Toussaint went to the USL last year and had little or no impact, yet Randi Patterson is ripping up the League, and Patterson played well on his few appearances for T&T, one has to wonder about the selection philosophy.  But we've been wondering about that all year.

Nothing we can do about it but voice our concerns and support Toussaint to come good.  Maybe he needs some confidence and someone who has confidence in him, in addition to some strength on the ball.  

Good luck to the entire team.

No Stern is baffling.  Especially considering Alvin is a Stern fan.  Maybe Pacho runnin de team after all.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
Well ok sub it have 2 disruptive element
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

I also don't see the value of Toussaint.  He is way too lightweight to play the position he plays.  He has ability but isn't anywhere near strong enough to be effective.

When you consider that Toussaint went to the USL last year and had little or no impact, yet Randi Patterson is ripping up the League, and Patterson played well on his few appearances for T&T, one has to wonder about the selection philosophy.  But we've been wondering about that all year.

Nothing we can do about it but voice our concerns and support Toussaint to come good.  Maybe he needs some confidence and someone who has confidence in him, in addition to some strength on the ball.  

Good luck to the entire team.

No Stern is baffling. Especially considering Alvin is a Stern fan.  Maybe Pacho runnin de team after all.

On the money. Stern and Alvin got rid of Najjar but Maturana is proving to be a STERNer test for them both. All I can say is that Maturana is one wierd character. The sooner he goes the better.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
D remnants of d blacklist he did testify in d arbitration

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
Well ok sub it have 2 disruptive element

Comprehension Weary, Maturana considers Stern to be disruptive wheras Ince has proven to be so regardless of whomever is in charge. The others overlooked it up to a point but floorMAT has to prove a point.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »
no stern? ??? no creative mid ???? that translates into the team struggling for goals oui...

God is de BOSS....

TrinInfinite

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
phillips

gray   thomas    lawrence     avery

leon

edwards       theobald       daniel(what the frige happen to samuel?)

whitley

roberts

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
So what pt he tryin 2 make dat he is d Imps not Ince because betta Stern disruptive and score some goals 4 we than d place calm and we salt

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Colombia really have good cocaine boy
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
So what pt he tryin 2 make dat he is d Imps not Ince because betta Stern disruptive and score some goals 4 we than d place calm and we salt

Back to pundit status weary.

1]; } ?>