April 28, 2024, 04:08:47 PM

Author Topic: Beijing Women's 100m  (Read 15235 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Beijing Women's 100m
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »
Williams fourth, said, emphasizing that she was speaking with respect for her rivals in the race, said, "Definitely Jamaica has it out for the U.S. They have very strong competitors. We dominated for all the years prior to this. Everybody deserves their one chance in history to do well."

U C y I cyah take dem yanks if u eh know betta u go feel dat no JA gyul ever medal in d sprints. She ever hear bout d bronze queen, Grace Jackson and Veronica Campbell. Dey one chance in history loud steups.

Man cyah even read a lil article on d net like I have 2 stop dat 2 since I was advised to seek coverage elsewhere

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
I doh know what worse, Carol Lewis voice, or her brother singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uDc5tQxmJY
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 09:44:03 PM »
whup whup whup - congrats to the jamaican ladies. this is the first time since 1912 they have a sweep like this. 

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
Reason why we running things now is simple. IAAF cracking down on the American drug cheats so they have no good, clean athletes right about now. I mean, look at the 100m men. Show off Shawn Crawford didn't even make the US team. Darvis Patton and Walter Dix are crap. In the women's 100m, Lauryn Williams and Tori Edwards(who's coming off a doping ban) didn't show up. We were always second best to the cheats and now that IAAF wiping dem out, we're taking our place.
Man talk ah book they jed.hence no NBC coverage
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:03:51 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
Reason why we running things now is simple. IAAF cracking down on the American drug cheats so they have no good, clean athletes right about now. I mean, look at the 100m men. Show off Shawn Crawford didn't even make the US team. Darvis Patton and Walter Dix are crap. In the women's 100m, Lauryn Williams and Tori Edwards(who's coming off a doping ban) didn't show up. We were always second best to the cheats and now that IAAF wiping dem out, we're taking our place.

Only reason I'm not buying that is because you'd have to show who the American athletes are that are banned right now for doping... who would otherwise be challenging (Gatlin aside).  Jamaica has had an excellent Olympics thus far... let's not mar that by saying that the only reason that's the case is because banned Americans aren't competing.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »
bullshit alotta we caribbean ppl get screwed outta they rite full place in history because ah these cheating americans ,which the us pubic lapped up .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
bullshit alotta we caribbean ppl get screwed outta they rite full place in history because ah these cheating americans ,which the us pubic lapped up .

Okay... and your little hormonal rant aside... if you agree that the only reason that Bolt and Thompson won was because the cheating Americans were banned...who are these banned Americans who would have otherwise (on drugs) won the race.

Can you call some names... or are you too busy trying to find your bottle of Midol?

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »
yah gyal borrow the midol ,when yah go to work tomorrow ,ah go swing bye take it back and answer yah question .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:13 AM »
yah gyal borrow the midol ,when yah go to work tomorrow ,ah go swing bye take it back and answer yah question .

Ask she fuh de extra heavy maxi pad too... cause it look like you bleeding from more dan juss yuh cyat.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »

Only reason I'm not buying that is because you'd have to show who the American athletes are that are banned right now for doping... who would otherwise be challenging (Gatlin aside).  Jamaica has had an excellent Olympics thus far... let's not mar that by saying that the only reason that's the case is because banned Americans aren't competing.

Marion Jones, Shaun Crawford and even Tori Edwards if she didn't get caught.

As I said before, if our athletes are doping, I certainly hope they do get caught and face the stiffest penalties because right now the country in a celebratory mood. If they are doing well unfairly and get busted, I don't think it would be wise for them to return home. They would get stick tell dem weak.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:54:29 AM by Lionpaw »
Smoke and Fly

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »

Ask she fuh de extra heavy maxi pad too... cause it look like you bleeding from more dan juss yuh cyat.
Man whole morning ah driving past yah house ,and yah car still in the driveway .ham yah fraid to go work or what .Without that midol me eint answering you eh .

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »
Even her own Jamaican's didn't know who she was before she suddenly won...sorry...came 2nd in de Jamaican national Championships in June.  Now she's Olympic Champion.

Out of Nowhere.........   Things that mek u go hmmmmmmmm....

Who is Shelly-Ann Fraser?
published: Tuesday | August 5, 2008

Roxroy McLean, Gleaner Writer

Shelly-Ann Fraser seems to have popped out of nowhere and is now considered one of Jamaica's sprinting sensations. But who is she? Most people know her as the 21-year-old who defied the odds at Jamaica's Olympic trials by placing second in the 100 metres behind Kerron Stewart.

She grabbed the spotlight by beating established stars Sherone Simpson and Veronica Campbell-Brown. But there is more to the story than that.

Shelly-Ann has risen from the challenges that come with growing up in a violence-torn, inner-city community and is now set to shine on the world's biggest stage at the Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

Distrust in the inner city

Just before leaving, Fraser spent some time with The Gleaner, talking about what life was like for her growing up in the family home in Waterhouse, St Andrew.

"When you look at the situation that you are in, you work hard at what you want. The crime was a disadvantage and you had to be very careful of who you talk with, because not everybody is who you think they are," she said.

The former George Headley Primary student's schoolmates remember her as jovial and fun to be around. She later moved on to Wolmer's Trust, where she completed sixth form and got enrolled at the University of Technology.

Hope despite circumstances

Fraser admitted that living in an inner-city community can be a hassle at times, but insists that, with the right motivation, anyone can make it, especially with the support of loved ones. For her, support comes from her mom, Maxine Simpson, who, along with her track coach Stephen Francis of the MVP Track Club, are the most important people in her life.

"There are times where I'm not doing the right things in training, but my coach was always there to encourage me," Fraser said.

Her mother, a former athlete herself, would also give her tips on running.

"Whenever I miss out on something, they would show me how to do it better, and that was the difference."

Fraser will be participating in the 100 metres and the 4x100 metres relay.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:43:47 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
I personally giving all props to the athletes who compete, win or lose... until somebody come back with a positive drug test then I really eh interested in entertaining rumors.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
I personally giving all props to the athletes who compete, win or lose... until somebody come back with a positive drug test then I really eh interested in entertaining rumors.

Is a rumor dat jamaican's didn't know who she was before de National Championships?

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »

Is a rumor dat jamaican's didn't know who she was before de National Championships?

Which is bullshit, because she made the finals at their national trials last year and ran on the 4x100m squad in Osaka.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »

orrite Palos, I know ya want to say it, so I go say the first letter

P _ _
you can fill in the rest :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »

but the prevailing conspiracy theory regarding the american athletes doesn't have so much to do with the US athletes who got caught already and thus can't represent them at the olympics. 

It's more to do with the fact that the drug crackdown has levelled the playing field, and US athletes across the border no longer have access to that competitive advantage. Before this it was a case of who get the best drugs wins.

The same thing was said when Darrel Brown took silver in one of the slowest World Championships 100m finals in recent history - which coincidentally happened after the whole Balco scandal broke.

To me its a legitimate observation.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »

Which is bullshit, because she made the finals at their national trials last year and ran on the 4x100m squad in Osaka.

So RoxRoy McLean of the Jamaica Daily Gleaner nah know wha im talk bout den?

Arrite sah.

BTW....Aaaron Armstrong made the T&T finals and ran in the 4X100 squad too but ask de average trini who he be and dem doh know eedah.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
but the prevailing conspiracy theory regarding the american athletes doesn't have so much to do with the US athletes who got caught already and thus can't represent them at the olympics. 

It's more to do with the fact that the drug crackdown has levelled the playing field, and US athletes across the border no longer have access to that competitive advantage. Before this it was a case of who get the best drugs wins.

The same thing was said when Darrel Brown took silver in one of the slowest World Championships 100m finals in recent history - which coincidentally happened after the whole Balco scandal broke.

Why can't people just give props to the superb group of athletes in this years finals and leave it at that?? "All the drug cheats are away so the legitimate athletes are prevailing" -what undermines that nonsense position is the fact for the first time in history (even in the past with all the drugging going on) we have six men running sub-10 secs in a final race. 

So... how do we reconcile this?  Wouldn't it be more likely that in an era of doping we'd have seen more athletes running faster times... even in the same race (assuming they all ran in the same races)?  You need an exceptionally fast field to have 6 runners crack 10 secs.... and that's what we had  If these were six American runners we'd be yelling bloody murder... "they win because they cheat".

Instead we beat them... and rather than celebrate the talent of our runners, we too busy bawling "they lose because they didn't cheat".  Asafa Powell must be does dope in all but the biggest races.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:36:52 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »

So RoxRoy McLean of the Jamaica Daily Gleaner nah know wha im talk bout den?

Arrite sah.

her being on their Osaka squad is an established fact.  So if you want to believe that in a track-crazy country like Jamaica nobody knew who she was well good for you.

Of course it was surprising to see her finish ahead of VCB at the Jamaican championships, but that's why they run the race.  If RoxRoy McLean of the Jamaica Daily Gleaner want to spin a whole story outta that then good for him.

BTW....Aaaron Armstrong made the T&T finals and ran in the 4X100 squad too but ask de average trini who he be and dem doh know eedah.

it would be interesting to see if you can find a similar example if we ever get to the point that our high school T&F championships does sell out the stadium.

the average trini didn't know who richard thompson was till he was in the semi-final of the Olympics.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
Asafa Powell must be does dope in all but the biggest races.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
how dat does work again :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:27 AM »
the average trini didn't know who richard thompson was till he was in the semi-final of the Olympics.

His meteroic rise appears to be quite similar to Ms. Fraser's so no surprise there.

her being on their Osaka squad is an established fact.  So if you want to believe that in a track-crazy country like Jamaica nobody knew who she was well good for you.
From being on a relay squad to Olympic 100 metre Champion is NOT de same ting and YOU know it!

Without lookin it up, who was on T&T's 4x100 men's relay squad in the final in Athens?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:58:39 AM by palos »

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »

His meteroic rise appears to be quite similar to Ms. Fraser's so no surprise there.
yeah but jakan follow this sport more intensely than Trinis ,so they shouldve known her .

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2008, 12:27:52 PM »
Quote from: palos
From being on a relay squad to Olympic 100 metre Champion is NOT de same ting and YOU know it!

ok boss, keep on trolling and taking cheap shots.
On occasion someone will test positive and you'll jump up and use that as evidence that everybody doping.  In the meantime, you'll just keep chirping that everyone on PED.  dem kinda tactics aren't very difficult to implement.

the point of her being on the relay squad is simply to point out that it's highly unlikely that she was unknown to Jamaicans.  Of course being on a relay squad is different to being Olympic champion but that doesn't justify taking cheap shots. 

Quote from: palos

Without lookin it up, who was on T&T's 4x100 men's relay squad in the final in Athens?

as for the Athens squad.  I know that Ato won the T&T championships and Brown and Burns were the other participants in the individual 100.   I would guess Jacey Harper as the 4th man at that time.   Burns had false start in the early rounds and Brown had to pull out the individual 100.

In any case I'm not a Jamaican track fan and that's why your argument doesn't hold water.  the average american doesn't know any of the starting midfielders on the US football team, does that mean that the average trini doesn't know Aurtis Whitley.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:29:36 PM by daryn »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »
D fact dat she can come from alleged no where and win d 100 m say about T&F in JA because she cyah afford dem steroids livin in Waterhole now some high grade weed but d steroids need eh go happen
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »
I doh know what worse, Carol Lewis voice, or her brother singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uDc5tQxmJY

everytime ah hear dis ah does be in stitches :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »

Why can't people just give props to the superb group of athletes in this years finals and leave it at that?? "All the drug cheats are away so the legitimate athletes are prevailing" -what undermines that nonsense position is the fact for the first time in history (even in the past with all the drugging going on) we have six men running sub-10 secs in a final race. 

So... how do we reconcile this?  Wouldn't it be more likely that in an era of doping we'd have seen more athletes running faster times... even in the same race (assuming they all ran in the same races)?  You need an exceptionally fast field to have 6 runners crack 10 secs.... and that's what we had  If these were six American runners we'd be yelling bloody murder... "they win because they cheat".

Instead we beat them... and rather than celebrate the talent of our runners, we too busy bawling "they lose because they didn't cheat".  Asafa Powell must be does dope in all but the biggest races.

i agree with that, but at the same time doh vex with men for simply putting in words what they thinking. Taking ah dig at the US track team failures in no way takes away from the appreciation of the greatest 100m final i have ever seen.

it would be great if everyone could turn a blind eye and ignore the 800lb gorilla sitting in the corner of the room rubbing a mystery cream on the hind legs.

just remember that the USA are the ones chiefly responsible for the erosion of the integrity of the sport of Track, so they are the ones responsible for the inevitable reputation that precedes them.  dem is de ones years now who tief, who lie and cry, and who rub dey drug-amplified successes in everybody face.. so now they sucking some serious salt, i doh see no harm in allowing mehself a lil vindicative laugh or two.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
i agree with that, but at the same time doh vex with men for simply putting in words what they thinking. Taking ah dig at the US track team failures in no way takes away from the appreciation of the greatest 100m final i have ever seen.

it would be great if everyone could turn a blind eye and ignore the 800lb gorilla sitting in the corner of the room rubbing a mystery cream on the hind legs.

just remember that the USA are the ones chiefly responsible for the erosion of the integrity of the sport of Track, so they are the ones responsible for the inevitable reputation that precedes them.  dem is de ones years now who tief, who lie and cry, and who rub dey drug-amplified successes in everybody face.. so now they sucking some serious salt, i doh see no harm in allowing mehself a lil vindicative laugh or two.

The USA are "chiefly responsible" only because people with their biases want to make them chiefly responsible.  The US just happens to have had bigger name athletes getting caught.  Doping didn't start with the US, or need I remind you of the testoterone that was routinely given to East German female athletes back in the day.  I could also pull up a long list of non-US athletes within Track and Field itself... starting with Ben Johnson and Linford Christie and continuing with the annual parade of Greeks.

I should also point out that had Tyson Gay not been hurt this year he would have been a legitimate medal contender, having himself equalled the world record as recently as this summer.  Had he not been injured then it's no stretch to assume that he likely would have made the final ahead of say, Marc Burns or the other American runner (who despite Gay's injury was only better by .02 seconds).  Had Gay run, good chance he would have medaled... had he medaled we wouldn't be having this discussion.  It is also worth noting that Gay volunteered to be part of the IAAF/USADA program of additional testing... which should mitigate against any suspicion of doping on his part.

So.. nothing is guaranteed, but for all intents and purpose it was injury (not lack of drugs) that prevented Gay from getting a medal....possibly silver.  Had that happened then the focus would properly be on Bolt and not on who didn't run.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Jamaicans have know Shelly-ann Fraser from High School Championships. Dont come with the didn't know crap. She was always second to our other young prodigy, Anisha Mclaughclin, who has really fallen off. She was the female that destroyed the Caribbean in Carifta same year Bolt did. If she was still around and was training as hard as Shelly-ann, she would've been the Gold Medal winner.
Smoke and Fly

1]; } ?>