April 26, 2024, 01:24:01 PM

Author Topic: The Official Richard "Torpedo" Thompson Thread  (Read 54932 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Re: Thompson breaks Boldon record with 9.85 run
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
The quality of this final is stupendous considering the size of our nation.

I know we have electronic timing at the HCS but how are these PBs recognised? Do they take the word of the NAAA or is there an IAAF official there?

VB

I said I was not going reply but take this in.

The re-phrase issues was surrounding this above. I still didn't question anything. again...   :talktothehand:

Are you Darcus Howe?

The procedure for official recognition of an electronic time as opposed to questioning the working of the electronic timing equipment are too completely different things but I can only expect an intelligent person to understand that so won’t even waste my time trying to explain that to you!

VB's question was a valid one but unfortunately your question was an effort to have other folks waste their time on your behalf. I simply suggested in a roundabout way that you waste your own time to get the answer to your own silly question that you should already know the answer for if you brain was more functional!

Regards your 2nd silly question about if I am Darcus Howe, if you are silly enough to believe it then my answer is yes! ::)

Maann... For your FYI and to end all this double dipping situation by which you have now confirmed my thoughts that you are very ignorant and don't know what you are speaking of from a technical standpoint of intelligence. Procedure qualification development is to determine compatibility on a variety of issues surrounding testing per equipment application standard. That is why I had simply mentioned specs and codes, there is so much more I can go into but won't waste any more time with you. To ease some of your lack of knowledge this site my help wipe away some of your ignorance from a general point of view.

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/intl/intlstds.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue.htm     

Again... :talktothehand:

How many times now have you promised that it was your last reply to me then you’ve come back again to make yuhself look even more stupid?!  ::)

Glad you've confirmed that you already knew the answer to the silly time wasting questions you asked!
I won't even waste my time looking at those links you posted! Reason why? Because I ain't interested in wasting my time on irrelevant matters!

What matters to me is that Richard Thompson's new national record time of 9.85 has been accepted by the world as legit and the electronic timer at the HCS is not faulty! And in case you haven’t noticed, read the title of this thread and understand that your question as well as being irrelevant was in bad tasted from a Trinidadian standpoint!

Now once again, please read my lips, “Go waste yuh own time”, unless of course you are pushing for yet another award! :clown:
:whip: :yapping: :busshead: :timeout:
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thompson on top
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2011, 05:17:04 AM »
Thompson on top
Powell pulls out with groin injury
By Kwame Laurence in Daegu

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson is the fastest man in the world this year still in the race for the men's 100 metres title, at the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) World Championships, here in Daegu, Korea.

The Trinidad and Tobago track star moved to the top of the list, yesterday, when the 2011 world leader, Jamaican Asafa Powell, withdrew from the event because of a nagging groin injury.

Two Saturdays ago, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Thompson completed a hat-trick of national titles with a 9.85 seconds scorcher—a new T&T record. The run put him joint-fourth on the 2011 world list, with American Mike Rodgers.

Powell is the fastest man this year at 9.78 seconds, just ahead of American Tyson Gay (9.79) and Jamaica's Steve Mullings (9.80).

Gay's season ended early because of a hip injury, while Mullings and Rodgers are out of the World Championships following positive drug tests.

With four of this season's top five sprinters out of the Daegu 100, Thompson heads the list of competitors.

Reigning champion Usain Bolt and his fellow-Jamaican Michael Frater, who comes in as a late replacement for Powell, are joint second at 9.88 seconds.

Bolt, though, is the world record holder at 9.58, and is the man to beat here in Daegu.

Another T&T sprinter, Keston Bledman, is seventh fastest this year among the men who will be on show in the World Championship century.

Bledman's 2011 best is 9.93 seconds. The clocking is also his PR (personal record).

The Championships get going at 8 p.m. today T&T time (9 a.m. Saturday in Daegu) with the women's marathon.

The women's 100m preliminaries will be contested from 10.30 tonight T&T time, while the men's 100m preliminaries start at 11.55 p.m.

T&T's sprinters, however, are not required to compete in the newly-introduced preliminary round. The preliminaries are for athletes with neither "A" nor " B" qualifying standards.

The first three T&T athletes to see action here in Daegu will be Thompson, Bledman and Aaron Armstrong, in the next round of the men's 100m, scheduled for tomorrow morning T&T time.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste, Semoy Hackett and Michelle-Lee Ahye will fly the flag in the women's 100m dash. The T&T trio will be on show tomorrow night T&T time.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Thompson on top
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
We failed Richard Thompson.
Andre E Baptiste (Guardian).

Richard Thompson ran his race in T&T at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in the National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) Championship 100 metres. That is the truth. And while Thompson is too much of a professional to say this and confirm he was not at his best in Daegu, that is the reality.

Let us examine what happened. 1) The NAAA was due to hold its  Championships on June 26 and 27 which was perfect for most of the athletes. It did not happen. 2) Government authorities (Ministry of Sports and the Sports Company) announced a week before, that the running track surface at the stadium which was being changed, would not be completed in time. 3) The NAAA then either had to find an alternative venue or change the date. 4) With no other stadium with an adequate surface, the Championship was postponed for August because many of T&T’s leading athletes were already committed to international meetings prior to the World Championships. 5) It was then decided to host the  Championship on August 13 and 14. 6) This annoyed most of the foreign-based athletes and some asked for exemptions, such as Kelly Ann Baptiste, Cleopatra Borel-Brown. These were granted. 7) Others were not so fortunate. Thompson was one such person who asked for an exemption, but because there were several persons within the qualifying standard competing for three places, his request was denied. 8- Renny Quow’s request was also denied because the times of several of the 400 metres athletes were out of the required qualifying standard.

Now those are some of the facts as to what transpired before Daegu. Thompson was forced to compete and ran a national record, a season best and a personal best of 9.85 to win convincingly from Keston Bledman who placed second, with Aaron Armstrong third. While the country applauded and celebrated with Thompson—albeit rightfully so, because it was a marvelous race and augurs well for our standard—we need to put aside the emotions of the Government officials who sought to bask in the glory that this was an outstanding fast track, and it was one of the best in the world, and our athletes would become faster and possibly better because of it. Unfortunately, it is possible that no one sought to educate these persons that like a horse race, where there are different surfaces (sand and grass), there must be some order in athletics, and the track at the World Championships was a Mondo surface—just like the previous one at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. The current surface is not a Mondo surface. Whether anyone will say so or not, it must make a difference. It is like practicing to swim in a 50 metre standard size Olympic swimming pool and practicing to swim in a 25 metres swimming pool. 

Thompson’s 9.85 was at the wrong time. In hindsight, he was correct to ask not to participate, because he was one event away from a major time. A number of leading 100 metres runners do their best ever time at Olympics and World Championships and there is no guessing why. It is also, no accident that this occurs because most international coaches ensure that they have their athletes peaking at the right time for these events. Together, we all contrived through our own ineptitude to allow this to happen to both Thompson and Bledman. They should not have been allowed to compete in a tough race a mere two weeks before this championships. Our athletes were the only ones to do this and we paid the price. So when I raised these questions a few days before the team left, my critics condemned me on isports on i95.5fm on Thursdays and Saturdays (6.15pm to 8pm). They disagreed with my theory about the proximity of the two races. It is obvious that yet again, I was correct.

Just for reference, the Jamaican trials were held from June 23 to 26. The US held their trials from June 25 to 28. Our Championships took place on August 13 and 14. The World Championships was from August 27 to September 4. Even a novice would question the logic and timing of our Championships. It is for this reason and this reason alone, that I, firmly lay the blame for T&T’s male athletes running so poorly in the individual 100 metres events at the feet, hands, chest, mouth and maybe even heart of the following: The Ministry of Sports, Sports Company of T&T and the Minister of Sports Anil Roberts. Together they should all accept collective responsibility for the events as described above involving the dates of the NAAA championships being switched. The original dates of June 26 to 27 may have resulted in better performances. Instead of being concerned and patting each other on the back about the supposed speed of the surface after Thompson’s blistering 9.85, all of the governmental authorities should have been monitoring the work and completion process at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, long in advance of the planned June dateline.

If it is that this was not done on a timely basis, then someone needs to be held accountable and severely punished. It is ludicrous that by this delay in completion an entire country has been left to ransom and many young athletes in limbo. We have not been told of any hefty fines or contingency clauses against the contractor. Unless of course, this was not the fault of the contractor, in terms of time given for completion or in terms of the local work that was promised to be completed before the contractor laid down the surface. There is too much at stake for the triumvirate of Sports Ministry, Sports Company and Sports Minister to accept everything too lightly and calm. It can almost look to some, as if persons who should know better intentionally want our athletes to fail.

I refuse to accept that sort of conspiracy theory. It is akin to saying that Usain Bolt intentionally false started so his country man and coaching understudy Yohan Blake would win the 100 metres final on Sunday. Without a doubt, it was too much to ask our athletes, particularly when history will show that all the major athletic countries will never attempt something so stupid. The NAAA was placed in a tricky position by the failure of the authorities to have the stadium ready for this well documented and advertised event.

We can always ask why is it that the authorities took so long to realise that the job would not be completed, but to use excuses like unpredictable weather and rain is inappropriate, particularly given that the history of the month of June is rain-infected days. Let us hope that such errors can be eliminated quickly in the future and that those in authorities that profess to have knowledge of sports begin to demonstrate such with much more energy. We have too many persons in authority being sidetracked by trivial and personal matters.

Instead of seeking catering jobs, sponsoring arrangements, argumentative discussions, some of those in charge need not to betray our trust, but need to find a way to cooperate with others and put aside petty jealousy. Sports Minister Anil Roberts needs to ensure this is done at all times, even if it annoys some of those closest to him. Thompson, Bledman and Armstrong did not fail us in South Korea. Instead it was we, the people of T&T who failed them because we accepted substandard explanations and lack of proper alternatives for our athletes. It cannot be coincidence that our only medal has come from Kelly Ann Baptiste, who was allowed to miss the NAAA Championships and was therefore fresher than most of the others. In the final analysis, let me on behalf of the Ministry of Sports, The Sports Company and the Honourable Minister of Sports Anil Roberts say:  Sorry Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Aaron Armstrong and all the other local athletes.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2011, 05:02:03 AM »

Richard Thompson ran his race in T&T at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in the National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) Championship 100 metres. That is the truth. And while Thompson is too much of a professional to say this and confirm he was not at his best in Daegu, that is the reality.

Let us examine what happened. 1) The NAAA was due to hold its  Championships on June 26 and 27 which was perfect for most of the athletes. It did not happen. 2) Government authorities (Ministry of Sports and the Sports Company) announced a week before, that the running track surface at the stadium which was being changed, would not be completed in time. 3) The NAAA then either had to find an alternative venue or change the date. 4) With no other stadium with an adequate surface, the Championship was postponed for August because many of T&T’s leading athletes were already committed to international meetings prior to the World Championships. 5) It was then decided to host the  Championship on August 13 and 14. 6) This annoyed most of the foreign-based athletes and some asked for exemptions, such as Kelly Ann Baptiste, Cleopatra Borel-Brown. These were granted. 7) Others were not so fortunate. Thompson was one such person who asked for an exemption, but because there were several persons within the qualifying standard competing for three places, his request was denied. 8- Renny Quow’s request was also denied because the times of several of the 400 metres athletes were out of the required qualifying standard.

Now those are some of the facts as to what transpired before Daegu. Thompson was forced to compete and ran a national record, a season best and a personal best of 9.85 to win convincingly from Keston Bledman who placed second, with Aaron Armstrong third. While the country applauded and celebrated with Thompson—albeit rightfully so, because it was a marvelous race and augurs well for our standard—we need to put aside the emotions of the Government officials who sought to bask in the glory that this was an outstanding fast track, and it was one of the best in the world, and our athletes would become faster and possibly better because of it. Unfortunately, it is possible that no one sought to educate these persons that like a horse race, where there are different surfaces (sand and grass), there must be some order in athletics, and the track at the World Championships was a Mondo surface—just like the previous one at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. The current surface is not a Mondo surface. Whether anyone will say so or not, it must make a difference. It is like practicing to swim in a 50 metre standard size Olympic swimming pool and practicing to swim in a 25 metres swimming pool. 

Thompson’s 9.85 was at the wrong time. In hindsight, he was correct to ask not to participate, because he was one event away from a major time. A number of leading 100 metres runners do their best ever time at Olympics and World Championships and there is no guessing why. It is also, no accident that this occurs because most international coaches ensure that they have their athletes peaking at the right time for these events. Together, we all contrived through our own ineptitude to allow this to happen to both Thompson and Bledman. They should not have been allowed to compete in a tough race a mere two weeks before this championships. Our athletes were the only ones to do this and we paid the price. So when I raised these questions a few days before the team left, my critics condemned me on isports on i95.5fm on Thursdays and Saturdays (6.15pm to 8pm). They disagreed with my theory about the proximity of the two races. It is obvious that yet again, I was correct.

Just for reference, the Jamaican trials were held from June 23 to 26. The US held their trials from June 25 to 28. Our Championships took place on August 13 and 14. The World Championships was from August 27 to September 4. Even a novice would question the logic and timing of our Championships. It is for this reason and this reason alone, that I, firmly lay the blame for T&T’s male athletes running so poorly in the individual 100 metres events at the feet, hands, chest, mouth and maybe even heart of the following: The Ministry of Sports, Sports Company of T&T and the Minister of Sports Anil Roberts. Together they should all accept collective responsibility for the events as described above involving the dates of the NAAA championships being switched. The original dates of June 26 to 27 may have resulted in better performances. Instead of being concerned and patting each other on the back about the supposed speed of the surface after Thompson’s blistering 9.85, all of the governmental authorities should have been monitoring the work and completion process at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, long in advance of the planned June dateline.

If it is that this was not done on a timely basis, then someone needs to be held accountable and severely punished. It is ludicrous that by this delay in completion an entire country has been left to ransom and many young athletes in limbo. We have not been told of any hefty fines or contingency clauses against the contractor. Unless of course, this was not the fault of the contractor, in terms of time given for completion or in terms of the local work that was promised to be completed before the contractor laid down the surface. There is too much at stake for the triumvirate of Sports Ministry, Sports Company and Sports Minister to accept everything too lightly and calm. It can almost look to some, as if persons who should know better intentionally want our athletes to fail.

I refuse to accept that sort of conspiracy theory. It is akin to saying that Usain Bolt intentionally false started so his country man and coaching understudy Yohan Blake would win the 100 metres final on Sunday. Without a doubt, it was too much to ask our athletes, particularly when history will show that all the major athletic countries will never attempt something so stupid. The NAAA was placed in a tricky position by the failure of the authorities to have the stadium ready for this well documented and advertised event.

We can always ask why is it that the authorities took so long to realise that the job would not be completed, but to use excuses like unpredictable weather and rain is inappropriate, particularly given that the history of the month of June is rain-infected days. Let us hope that such errors can be eliminated quickly in the future and that those in authorities that profess to have knowledge of sports begin to demonstrate such with much more energy. We have too many persons in authority being sidetracked by trivial and personal matters.

Instead of seeking catering jobs, sponsoring arrangements, argumentative discussions, some of those in charge need not to betray our trust, but need to find a way to cooperate with others and put aside petty jealousy. Sports Minister Anil Roberts needs to ensure this is done at all times, even if it annoys some of those closest to him. Thompson, Bledman and Armstrong did not fail us in South Korea. Instead it was we, the people of T&T who failed them because we accepted substandard explanations and lack of proper alternatives for our athletes. It cannot be coincidence that our only medal has come from Kelly Ann Baptiste, who was allowed to miss the NAAA Championships and was therefore fresher than most of the others. In the final analysis, let me on behalf of the Ministry of Sports, The Sports Company and the Honourable Minister of Sports Anil Roberts say:  Sorry Richard Thompson, Keston Bledman, Aaron Armstrong and all the other local athletes.
:applause:
Most of this article is on the button especially the part in the last paragraph that I've highlighted! :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:06:38 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline REC

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:56 AM »
This article was a very spot on analysis!! Its unfortunate that many ppl do not understand (especially the bloggers on this forum) what it takes for an athlete to perform consistently at a high level. The same can be said for those in charge of the various administrations as they also didn't understand how having to come home and compete would affect the athletes.

I marvel at the comments made regarding the failure of the athletes especially RT. At times they are rather comical and I just shake my head in disbelief that some bloggers would actually put their thoughts in writing for all to see!! Clearly some of them have a limited understanding of the English language as the arguments/comments I have seen are baseless and without merit!

This article has echoed all my sentiments and I really do hope that the authorities would take note! I also hope that the bloggers would be more mindful of what the athletes go through to represent our country and because they fail, it is considered mediocrity. Stop the negativity as it will get us nowhere! Let us try and appreciate the effort they are making as it will motivate them and the results will eventually show...

Great article!! :beermug:

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:23 AM »
I cant believe this utter BS , while I agree that the staging of the national championship would of affected the athletes ,why did it have such a huge impact on RT and not a huge impact on all the other athlete. Let's be honest before the national championship, How many indivduals we expected to medal, barring KB no more , we did not even expect to have any trini representative in the final. Barring that RQ ran his sb in daegu so how does that argument whole water. Did anyone expect MLA to make the final , RQ, JG, SH, MLA, RT, KB, AA. Why is it that our culture is always to look for a scapegoat instead of taking responsibility on ourselves. While I believe the whole NAAA is crap and needs a major overhaul, this is taking it to an unethical level. For the first time I must say mr Baptiste this is probably the worst article I have seen you wrote. So I am guessing then Keston Bledman would of been our new record holder seeing that he also had to run nationals and clocked 10.14 , so if I take 9.85 and put the gap to 10.25 , hat is about .40 , thereby Bledman could of run 9.74. The women time reained consistent with thier national performance , KB consistent with national championship 10.14 into negative , equates to 10.0 ran at national championship, Why did it affect RT alone , I find we develop a culture to feed the public BS.

Offline REC

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »
I don't fully understand your Bledman logic, given that Bledman RAN 10.06 IN THE SAME NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS that RT clocked his 9.85! How, or more rationally WHY, would you then try to minus or add the differences in the times, given that KB was there...?
Had KB not run then you may have had a point, but he was there! So really, come on now..
And do you realise that in Daegu RT ran into a -ve 1.0 headwind for his 10.20, while KB had a -0.4 for his 10.14? Do these factors make there way into your thinking?

This is not about looking for a scapegoat, it's about recognising the facts as they are. You say that everyone's time is consistent with their season times, but RT has shown that he is an event based athelete and his training regime focuses on him peaking (Sub 10) for certain key events. His previous "key event" times have shown this (Olympics 2008 -9.99, 9.93 & 9.89secs; Berlin WC's 2009 -9.98 & 9.93secs). The NAAA's having the NC 13 days before the WC, ESPECIALLY with the WC being half way around the world in another time zone, didn't give him time for his bio-rhythm to recover to peak performance. It disrupted the training regime & it showed in his current "key event" results.

It's not about looking for excuses either since RT himself has not attempted to apportion blame to anyone or anywhere. The point being made here is and will continue to be that the staging of the NC 13 days before the WC's could never be a good idea. No other country has done it and I don't think they will; it's to the detriment of the athlete and therefore the country.
So say what you like there must be some merit in the results;since the only sprinter that medalled was the only one exempted...
Coinicidence... I think not

truetrini

« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
I don't fully understand your Bledman logic, given that Bledman RAN 10.06 IN THE SAME NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS that RT clocked his 9.85! How, or more rationally WHY, would you then try to minus or add the differences in the times, given that KB was there...?
Had KB not run then you may have had a point, but he was there! So really, come on now..
And do you realise that in Daegu RT ran into a -ve 1.0 headwind for his 10.20, while KB had a -0.4 for his 10.14? Do these factors make there way into your thinking?

This is not about looking for a scapegoat, it's about recognising the facts as they are. You say that everyone's time is consistent with their season times, but RT has shown that he is an event based athelete and his training regime focuses on him peaking (Sub 10) for certain key events. His previous "key event" times have shown this (Olympics 2008 -9.99, 9.93 & 9.89secs; Berlin WC's 2009 -9.98 & 9.93secs). The NAAA's having the NC 13 days before the WC, ESPECIALLY with the WC being half way around the world in another time zone, didn't give him time for his bio-rhythm to recover to peak performance. It disrupted the training regime & it showed in his current "key event" results.

It's not about looking for excuses either since RT himself has not attempted to apportion blame to anyone or anywhere. The point being made here is and will continue to be that the staging of the NC 13 days before the WC's could never be a good idea. No other country has done it and I don't think they will; it's to the detriment of the athlete and therefore the country.
So say what you like there must be some merit in the results;since the only sprinter that medalled was the only one exempted...
Coinicidence... I think not

Why bother with a man who talks compound shit on this forum almost everytime he posts?  steups.

This is a man who has been swearing every year for the past 6 that Darrell Browne will come back and crush all before him...the same man who felt Brown could challenge Bolt...steups...yuh have serious time to waste!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAAATTTTT?? ?? ??!!!     :o :o

NAAA take a big

SSSTTTTEEEEEUUUUPPPSSSS!!!!

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »

Why bother with a man who talks compound shit on this forum almost everytime he posts?  steups.

This is a man who has been swearing every year for the past 6 that Darrell Browne will come back and crush all before him...the same man who felt Brown could challenge Bolt...steups...yuh have serious time to waste!
[/quote]

Trinity Cross talking about I compounding Shit ,WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT,
 Very funny as I was the only one who jump to defend you when everybody else wanted to kick you off the forum'' your exact quote was JB I have no problem with you , Is them other posters that does get me angry"
 Do you have a split personality , I must say you sure keep me entertained. I ccan't stop laughing about your comment.

truetrini

« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
Sorry.  I mistake you for someone else.  My apologies.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
Just found these videos on YouTube and thought I'd post them here in this thread for reference!

Its RT's performance at T&T National Trials followed by After Race Interview where he credited Ato!!

Richard Thompson runs 9.85 NR at T&T National Trials 2011
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fgHwhQdWPM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0fgHwhQdWPM</a>

Richard Thompson's After Race Interview
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OigewwWsZfQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OigewwWsZfQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:34:48 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »
I do not agree with Andre's premise. NOT AT ALL.

I also feel as though this is LETTING THE MEN OFF OF THE HOOK, and in a huge way.

I'm sorry, help me out - since when does 2 rounds (and only 1 of any quality) ruin your season for the whole year now? Question - if KAB ran at Trials, would she not have gotten bronze because of it? Were the trials at an ideal time? Of course not. Is that somehow the reason the men went and ran like ishh? Come on. Is who some of you all think you fooling?

I have been just sitting back and watching the madness.

Andre is 100% WRONG on this one. Yohan Blake just ran 2x 9.82 in the space of a damn week, after worlds and partying like mad. People run 2 rounds in London at the GP race there and in other places and are fine the next week. 400H maybe could have suffered from the TnT trials. 100? Hell no.

Look, is there anyone who will say it??

Serrette says the team performed 'credibly' (creditably!), now Andre apologizes to the men for the country failing THEM!!!!??? What's next? Apologies from the Korean LOC for the headwind?

I hear men talk all kinda dotishness in here 'bout who didn't have home food, their girlfriend wasn't around, their mother wasn't there, the track different, the headwind blah blah blah. What are we talking about? Primary school sports? Intercol? No, we are talking about PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. None of them live "at home" anyhow so "HOME" is "AWAY". Stop that nonsense.

Kim Collins - ranked 28th going in, goes out there and fights. Almost wins the whole damn thing. Leaves with 2 medals. At age 35.

Kaliese Spencer - injured going in and fights through the rounds to barely get in, and gets 4th in the final

Melaine Walker - shin splints to the point of tears, debates whether to even run and try to defend her title. Olympic and world champ already, 2nd fastest ever, maybe even the next WR holder in this event, but she goes for it.  Fights though the rounds, gets the silver in one of her best times ever - and probably her gutsiest performance of the last 3 championships.

Trying to find justification for the worst performance by a TnT men's track team at worlds since 1999 does them no good. One of them might actually believe this bullshit.

The guys have my sympathy for the relay and what happened to them. Nothing else. Time for some tough love and no more of this damn hand holding and coddling.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:26:28 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2011, 06:15:39 PM »
To all our male T&T athletes who went to Daegu and come back home empty-handed and looking for sympathy, Father Ato would like to see
allyuh in his office to share some: :whip:  :pissedoff:  :shameonyou: :busshead:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:17:34 PM by Socapro »

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
To me it looks like Keston does not have a clue how to run the 100m that 1 thing .. ...2 Richard flopped big time and he knows it .... and lastly Marc should have been out 3rd option i dont care who came in third. Marc is pretty much like Kim they run every round and stay consistent im sure he would have been in the finals. 

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
To me it looks like Keston does not have a clue how to run the 100m that 1 thing .. ...2 Richard flopped big time and he knows it .... and lastly Marc should have been out 3rd option i dont care who came in third. Marc is pretty much like Kim they run every round and stay consistent im sure he would have been in the finals. 

Let’s hope them guys do the work required after their end of season winter breaks to ensure they all come back stronger and more competitive than ever for the Olympics next year so that they don’t all come back home empty-handed like they did at Worlds this year.

Right now it looks like me can rely more on the ladies than the men to bring home a few medals at the Olympics next year! It seems like our ladies are raising their game while our men are slipping!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:30:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
Given Marc's 4x100m leg I beg to differ
BORN TO DO IT

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2011, 07:50:19 PM »
I couldnt really say. I do know he has been consistent with reaching the finals. However, it is true that he was not in the best shape (food poisoning) in the races leading up to Daegu.

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:21 PM »

Ato be real Marc was already in a hole when he got that Baton there is no way he could have dig TnT out of that hole. Keston start was horrible. I stand by what i said Marc should have replaced Amstrong

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »

Ato be real Marc was already in a hole when he got that Baton there is no way he could have dig TnT out of that hole. Keston start was horrible. I stand by what i said Marc should have replaced Amstrong

My gut was to go with Marc as well. He will be showing up next year for sure.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2011, 08:47:28 PM »

They all ran and exchanged decent in the 4 x 100m relay heat which they won but messed up their exchanges and got shown-up for leg speed on their 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd leg exchanges in the final. Saying all that they would have still come home with at least a bronze if it was not for the mishap on the 3rd to 4th leg exchange in the final!

I expect them to come better and make amends at the London Olympics next year!
The French & Kittians will also be fancing their chances behind JA & USA for a bronze medal if we mess up!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:50:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »
Finally AB , I totally agree with you , all the excuses people making , they are professional athletes , they just did not deliver

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
lol now ppl critizing them lol!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »
Nice win today by Richard at the Dubnica T&F Meet in Slovakia:

1st Thompson 10.05
2nd Collins 10.07
3rd Frater 10.09

I assume that was his final race for the season!
Like how RT was chauffeur driven for a lap of honour with Merlene Ottey at the end of the meet, real VIP thing! :beermug:

Just posted a picture of Richard Thompson on his lap of honour with Merlene Ottey on his facebook page! :heehee:

Go here to view: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150379154130931&set=p.10150379154130931&type=1&theater
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:47:53 PM by Socapro »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
He finally got the victory over Kim- I'm satisfied lol!

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Richard Thompson changes coach
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
PORT-OF-SPAIN - Double Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson may change his coach soon. 

Thompson has been linked to a move to HSI coach American John Smith. According to discussion on www.trackandfieldnews.com, the T&T national record holder (9.85) is expected to moved to the Smith training base in Los Angeles, California. Thompson was second behind Jamaican Usain Bolt in the men's 100m final at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and then anchored the T&T men's 4x100 to the runner up spot behind Bolt's Jamaica. 

The 26 year old took his third national sprint title in August before going off the World Track and Field Championships in Daegu two weeks later where he failed to advance to the men's sprint final. He is expected to sever ties with his current coach, Dennis Shaver. Thompson has been under the tutelage of Shaver since 2005 while a student of Louisiana State University. Shaver guided the Cascade sprinter to his Olympic success in 2008 and also to NCAA Indoor (60m) and Outdoor (100m) crowns earlier in the year.

Thompson is currently in Trinidad and Tobago with former world 100m record holder Maurice Greene conducting clinics and motivational tours in the Morvant Laventille area as part of the National Petroleoum sponsored "Richard Thompson Coaching Clinics". Greene was a former marquee athlete of Smith and won two Olympic titles in 2000 (100, 4x100) and five  world crowns (1997-100, 1999-100, 200, 4x100, 2001-100).

Smith was also the coach for T&T quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon and is the current coach of Emmanuel Callender. Reigning World Junior 400m champion Jehue Gordon is also under the HSI management.

Smith is also the coach of two recently crowned world champions - Americans Carmelita Jeter (women's 100/4x100) and Jason Richardson (Men's 110m Hurdles).

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Thompson changes coach
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
PORT-OF-SPAIN - Double Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson may change his coach soon. 

Thompson has been linked to a move to HSI coach American John Smith. According to discussion on www.trackandfieldnews.com, the T&T national record holder (9.85) is expected to moved to the Smith training base in Los Angeles, California. Thompson was second behind Jamaican Usain Bolt in the men's 100m final at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and then anchored the T&T men's 4x100 to the runner up spot behind Bolt's Jamaica. 

The 26 year old took his third national sprint title in August before going off the World Track and Field Championships in Daegu two weeks later where he failed to advance to the men's sprint final. He is expected to sever ties with his current coach, Dennis Shaver. Thompson has been under the tutelage of Shaver since 2005 while a student of Louisiana State University. Shaver guided the Cascade sprinter to his Olympic success in 2008 and also to NCAA Indoor (60m) and Outdoor (100m) crowns earlier in the year.

Thompson is currently in Trinidad and Tobago with former world 100m record holder Maurice Greene conducting clinics and motivational tours in the Morvant Laventille area as part of the National Petroleoum sponsored "Richard Thompson Coaching Clinics". Greene was a former marquee athlete of Smith and won two Olympic titles in 2000 (100, 4x100) and five  world crowns (1997-100, 1999-100, 200, 4x100, 2001-100).

Smith was also the coach for T&T quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon and is the current coach of Emmanuel Callender. Reigning World Junior 400m champion Jehue Gordon is also under the HSI management.

Smith is also the coach of two recently crowned world champions - Americans Carmelita Jeter (women's 100/4x100) and Jason Richardson (Men's 110m Hurdles).

Although the highlighted is true, quoting a message board as a source is a poor piece of journalism!!!!!......come on Trackalerts

But since we are quoting a thread on a message board as an authoritative source  , it may as well be noted that Walter Dix and Ryan Bailey will be accompanying Richard on his move west.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:21:41 PM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2011, 05:04:36 AM »
I thought he went from shaver to HSI then to jon drummond for a time then back to HSI. I thought he left shaver from long time...

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2011, 08:09:27 AM »
I thought he went from shaver to HSI then to jon drummond for a time then back to HSI. I thought he left shaver from long time...

An feel yuh meant to say Jon Smith not Jon Drummond:-\

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »

An feel yuh meant to say Jon Smith not Jon Drummond:-\

Unless I was misinformed, it was Drummond that he went to. That change happened around spring of this year and was his first time doing a coaching change until now.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>