April 19, 2024, 03:55:22 AM

Author Topic: The Official Richard "Torpedo" Thompson Thread  (Read 54782 times)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Torpedo on track
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2015, 01:11:48 AM »
Hmmmmm. Mr Thompson if you are reading this, time to put some serious efforts into the deuce. You have expressed aspirations of mounting the podium in Beijing again this year, and I sure you have seen that the sprinting landscape has significantly changed since you were last there. The men( Bolt, Powell, Gay, Gatlin etc.) in your way of reaching those heights again are all good to great at the 200m. Time to take it seriously. High school times will not cut it!
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Looks like Richard's Tiger Olympians  'A' relay team placed 2nd in the 4x100m over the Easter weekend and the two Trinis Shermund Allsop and Richard Thompson ran the 1st two legs of the relay.

http://results.deltatiming.com/tf/2015-battle-on-the-bayou/150403F002

B. Moore Track & C. Maddox Field House - Site License
2015 LSU Invitational Battle on the Bayou - 4/3/2015 to 4/4/201
                      Battle on the Bayou                     
                     Bernie Moore Stadium                     

Event 2  Men 4x100 Meter Relay
===============================================================
 Final                                                         
     Stadium: s 38.32  2002        LSU, LSU                   
        Meet: M 39.11  4/2/2011    Texas A&M, Texas A&M       
                       T Howell, G Phiri, M Bryan, P Hardy, Jr.
    School                                               Finals
===============================================================
Finals                                                         
  1 LSU  'A'                                              39.32
     1) Joshua Thompson SR              2) Vernon Norwood SR   
     3) Tremayne Acy SO                 4) Aaron Ernest SR     
  2 Tiger Olympians  'A'                                  41.01
     1) Shermund Allsop SR              2) Richard Thompson SR
     3) Armanti Hayes SR                4) Gabriel Mvumvure SR

3 SE Louisiana  'A'                                     41.05
     1) Ken Breland SO                  2) Raheem Brown JR     
     3) Billy Minnifield SR             4) Kadarius Williams JR
 -- Hinds CC  'A'                                           DNS
     1) Doug Ball FR                    2) Kristopher Kimble FR
     3) Dontarian Evans FR              4) Adrian Kimmons SO   
 -- Mississippi Valley  'A'                                 DNS
     1) Eric Chism SR                   2) Jatarius Harris SR 
     3) Deion Reid SO                   4) Earl Winters SR     
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:25:51 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Torpedo' Thompson eyes more T&T success at IAAF World Relays
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2015, 05:29:23 PM »
'Torpedo' Thompson eyes more T&T success at IAAF World Relays
Written by Kwame Laurence | Published: Tuesday, 17 March 2015 08:55 |

SILVER QUARTET: Rondel Sorrillo, left, Richard "Torpedo" Thompson, Marc Burns and Keston Bledman celebrate their silver success in the men’s 4x100 metres event, at the 2014 IAAF World Relays in Nassau, Bahamas. Photo: KWAME LAURENCE

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - Richard "Torpedo" Thompson was responsible for one of the most memorable moments at the inaugural IAAF World Relays, in Nassau, Bahamas, last year. In the men's 4x100 metres final, the Trinidad and Tobago track star overhauled Great Britain's Dwain Chambers on the anchor leg, turning bronze into silver.

"It's always a blessing getting the stick around in a relay," Thompson told the Trinidad Express, "and an even bigger blessing when we win a medal.

"However, I think any athlete would admit that it's a bit more fun when you 'walk someone down'. That race indicated to me that I was back in really good shape because Chambers is a good sprinter. More importantly, it indicated to the world that T&T's 4x100 team was back as we had a rough year in 2013."

For the "Torpedo", the World Relays experience would have been special even if he had left Nassau with no precious metal to his name.

"It was great. I found it really cool that they had us come through a tunnel to introduce us team by team...almost like they do in wrestling. It added more hype for the athletes and the fans. The meet itself was well attended and the fans were very active cheering every country on."

T&T emerged from the 2014 IAAF World Relays with three medals. In addition to the men's 4x100m silver captured by Keston Bledman, Marc Burns, Rondel Sorrillo and Thompson, there was bronze for both the women's 4x100m quartet and the men's 4x400m team. T&T earned 19 points at the two-day meet to finish sixth--an excellent showing for a nation with a population of just 1.3 million.

Thompson was particularly pleased with the success of the women's sprint relay combination of Kamaria Durant, Michelle-Lee Ahye, Reyare Thomas and Kai Selvon.
"They've had a terrible streak of bad luck over the past few years getting the stick around. Not only did they get the stick around this time, but they won their first global medal. That's a great sign for when Kelly-Ann (Baptiste) and Semoy (Hackett) are thrown back into the mix."

Baptiste completed a 21-month drug ban in January, while Hackett will be eligible to compete in May following a 28-month doping ban.

In Nassau last year, Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow, Machel Cedenio and Jarrin Solomon finished third in the men's 4x400m final in a national record time of two minutes, 58.34 seconds.

"For a number of years," said Thompson, "the 4x100 men carried the rest of the team on our shoulders. We've expanded beyond that and have shown that T&T are beyond capable in different events and gender. The men's 4x4 has been very consistent in the last three years and the women have stepped up significantly as well."

The triple Olympic medallist is anticipating more success for Team T&T at the 2015 IAAF World Relays, scheduled for May 2 and 3.

"I don't expect anyone to be in peak shape in May, especially since World Champs is in late August. However, I know that we are a hard-working bunch, and will be showing up there in good enough shape to give a good account of ourselves.

"The goal," he continued, "is always to try to win, but I think that if we can leave with a medal in every event that we enter, that would be a solid showing."
Thompson said there needs to be a permanent place on the international athletics calendar for the IAAF World Relays.

"Apart from the meet itself being a huge success, I had a lot of fun away from the track. Bahamas is a beautiful island so any chance I get I'll be there. I'll be there this year, God spare life, health and strength.”

Here is link to thread for last year's World Relays in the Bahamas if you wish to view a recap:
2014 IAAF World Relays: Sat.24th & Sun.25th May, Nassau, Bahamas (videos added)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson targets Beijing medal …opens season with windy 200 win
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
Thompson targets Beijing medal
…opens season with windy 200 win

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 6, 2015 at 9:00 PM ECT

Opening win: Richard Thompson

The 2014 season was a mixed bag for Richard “Torpedo” Thompson.

In June, at the Trinidad and Tobago Championships, Thompson produced a 9.82 seconds national record run to capture the 100 metres title. Three weeks earlier, he had clocked a wind-assisted 9.74 at a meet in Florida, USA.

The 9.82 sizzler put the T&T track star in pole position ahead of the July 23-August 3 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. However, he was unable to live up to his status as favourite for the 100m title, bowing out of the event after finishing third in his semi-final heat in 10.19 seconds.

Thompson told the Express fatigue was responsible for his sub-par performance.

“My body was just tired, to be honest. People asked if I was injured or if something happened, but that wasn’t the case. The road back to healthy started in early September 2013, and it really took a lot out of me physically, mentally and emotionally, getting back to the times I got down to. When we got to late July and beyond, my body was fried.”

After a disappointing 2013 campaign that was hampered by a painful hip injury, Thompson put his body through an arduous 2014 season. Not since his final year on the US collegiate circuit, in 2008, had Thompson raced as much as he did last year.

“I proved in 2014 that I can run very fast again. What’s important though is doing it at the right time. I want to run fast on the circuit, and I want to be the national champion, but far more significant than that is being a medallist in Beijing.”

Thompson is planning to be in Beijing for the August 22-30 IAAF World Championships. He has fond memories of the Chinese city, having earned silver medals in the 100m and 4x100m events at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Thompson is also eyeing the July 10-26 Pan Am Games, in Toronto, Canada.

“I’d like to be a part of the Pan Am team. I’ve never run in Toronto before, and I have a lot of family there. Even if it’s just on the relay team, I’d like to do it. That will give us a chance to work together and perfect our exchanges for Beijing.”

The 29-year-old sprinter said he is satisfied with his build-up to the 2015 season.

“Preparations have been good so far. I’m thankful to be healthy and not to have to dig myself out of a hole, as I did last year coming into the season. I’m in a much more relaxed state, physically and mentally, than I was at this time last year, so there’s less emotional stress.

“Also,” Thompson continued, “we don’t have to run as many races trying to familiarise my legs with sprinting at that high level again. We can plan the season better so that the right races come at the right time.”

Thompson opened his 2015 campaign on Saturday, at the Louisiana State University (LSU) Battle on the Bayou meet, in Louisiana, USA. He won the men’s 200m event, the triple Olympic medallist clocking a wind-assisted 20.81 seconds. Another T&T sprinter, Shermund Allsop was sixth fastest in a windy 21.87.

“I haven’t yet confirmed my first professional outdoor meet,” Thompson explained. “That circuit usually starts in May, so I will be using some of the smaller meets at LSU in April to get ready for the big ones.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BLAZING OPENERS: Thompson, Bledman, Cedenio sizzle in US
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
BLAZING OPENERS
Thompson, Bledman, Cedenio sizzle in US

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM ECT

FAST STARTS: T&T sprinters, Richard "Torpedo" Thompson, left, and Keston Bledman.

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, Keston Bledman and Machel Cedenio recorded fast openers at meets in the United States, on Saturday.
Competing in the 100 metres dash for the first time this season, Thompson stopped the clock at 10.04 seconds for victory in section one at the Alumni Gold meet, in Louisiana.

With that clocking, Thompson shot into second spot on the 2015 world performance list, behind American Trayvon Bromell (10.02). Another Trinidad and Tobago athlete, Texas State University student Aaron George was seventh in section two and 14th overall in the Alumni Gold men’s 100m in a wind-assisted 10.64.

Thompson had a busy day at the Alumni Gold meet, finishing fifth in the 200m in a windy 21.01 seconds, and running the second leg for third-placed Tiger Olympians in the 4x100m relay. Thompson’s team clocked 40.03.

Steve Waithe was also in winners’ row in Louisiana. Appropriately, the T&T/Pennsylvania State University athlete struck gold in the LeJuan Simon men’s triple jump event with a wind-aided 15.73m effort. Waithe’s best legal jump in the competition was 15.45m.

Simon was a T&T athlete, the highpoint of his career coming in 2004 when he represented the country at the Athens Olympics. The former Louisiana State University (LSU) student died in 2008 at the age of 27 as a result of complications from primary pulmonary hypertension.

At the National Training Center (NTC) Pure Athletics Sprint Elite Meet 1, in Florida, Bledman bolted to victory in the men’s 100m dash in a windy 9.94 seconds. In the preliminary round, the T&T sprinter clocked a windy 9.97 in his first 100m race for 2015. He won the heat, advancing to the final as the fastest qualifier.

T&T Quarter-milers Machel Cedenio and Deon Lendore now 6th & 7th on 2015 World List.

Cedenio was on fire in his 400m season-opener, the 2014 world junior champion winning the men’s one-lap race in a personal best 45.09 seconds—good enough for sixth spot on the 2015 world performance list.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste got home in a wind-assisted 22.91 seconds to bag bronze in the women’s 200m. And Wayne Davis II topped the men’s 110m hurdles “B” race in 13.66.

In Texas, Deon Lendore clocked 45.14 seconds to grab gold in the Michael Johnson Classic men’s 400m event. The Texas A&M University quartermiler is seventh on this year’s world performance list.

Another T&T athlete, Janeil Bellille finished eighth in the women’s 400m in 55.08.

At the Georgia Tech Invitational, Emanuel Mayers won the men’s 400m hurdles in 50.39 seconds, and Ade Alleyne-Forte was second in the men’s 400m “B” race in 47.59.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:49:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson - Ready to Speed at 30
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Thompson - Ready to Speed at 30
June 8th, 2015 11:32am (TrackAlerts.com)

Richard Thompson: "if you look at the best sprinters in the world now,
Bolt is a year younger than I but you have Gatlin, Tyson and
Asafa Powell who are all well into their thirties now."

Richard Thompson of Trinidad and Tobago is 30 but the 2008 Olympic silver medallist still feels young enough to challenge the best at the World Championships later this year. Thompson says high level sprinting by the likes of 32 year-old Asafa Powell gives him confidence. The affable Trinidad and Tobago national 100 record holder was speaking during his recent visit to Jamaica for the Jamaica Invitational.

"I still have youth on my side", he calculated with his 30th birthday on June 7. "Honestly", he outlined, "if you look at the best sprinters in the world now, Bolt is a year younger than I but you have Gatlin, Tyson and Asafa Powell who are all well into their thirties now."

Usain Bolt, the reigning World and Olympic champion, is 29 this summer and Justin Gatlin, Tyson Gay and Powell are all 32 going 33. Moreover, TRACK AND FIELD NEWS, the respected US journal, ranked 6 men who are 30 this year or older in the top 10 for the 2014 season in the 100 metres. They were Americans Gatlin and Mike Rodgers who were number 1 and 2 respectively, Jamaica's Nesta Carter at 4, Powell at number 5, Thompson at 9 and evergreen Kim Collins of St Kitts and Nevis at number 10.

Even so, sprinting is still a young man's game. Only Carl Lewis and Linford Christie have won the World Championship 100 at age 30 or older and the average age of the 14 100 metre World Champions is 25 years old.

Thompson was 23 when he paced Bolt through the first half of the 2008 Olympic 100 metre final before finishing strongly in second place. He got another silver medals as the anchor leg runner on the twin island republic's 4x100 team.

As Thompson approaches 30, the form of older sprinters is a source of encouragement. "It just gives me encouragement that I'm able to continue to sprint well for a few years again", he said. He believes his experience will help to a certain extent. "It's worth something in terms of 'been there, done that'", said the 2009 World Championships finalist, "but at the same time, I can't be complacent and tell myself that I've been there before and that's going to carry me all the way."

"I have to approach it like it's my first time and I'm hungry but at the same time, be mindful of things I shouldn't do based on the experiences I've had in the past", he surmised.

Thompson set a seasonal best in the Jamaica Invitational 100 metres with a fourth place finish in 10.04 seconds. His lifetime best - a national record of 9.82 seconds - was established last year.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:20:37 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson out ‘Worlds’
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
Thompson out ‘Worlds’
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Tuesday, June 30 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Richard Thompson, second from left, struggles to the finish line in the National Men's 100m
semi-final on Saturday. Author: ALLAN V CRANE

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s bid to be among the medals in the Men’s 4x100m relay at next month’s World Athletics Championships in Beijing, China was dealt a major blow on the weekend, when US-based Richard “Torpedo” Thompson pulled out of the squad due to injury.

Thompson, the owner of one World and three Olympic medals, and the established anchor leg runner for the TT team, told Newsday of the development in an exclusive interview yesterday afternoon.

“I have already informed the NAAA (National Association of Athletic Administrations),” he said while awaiting physiotherapy at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

At the Sagicor National Open Championships on Saturday, Thompson ran a slow 10.40 seconds in his semi-final heat, and decided against contesting the final, which Keston Bledman won. “I’m not the kind of person who goes around complaining,” Thompson began when asked yesterday to explain that decision. He revealed that he had been struggling with an injury to his left knee since “sometime in April” which had forced him to stay out of competition while working to resolve the problem. Thompson revealed that despite undergoing extensive recuperative therapy and strength conditioning work, the problem was not yet entirely resolved. “You know, no matter how much you do in the gym,” he said, “an athlete cannot judge how well he is until he gets on the track.” Saturday’s semi-final run simply confirmed that he still had some way to go on the road to recovery. “There is still some pain in the knee,” he went on, “and my team, my family and I have decided that I should skip Beijing (the World Championships in July) and concentrate on preparing for next year. The Olympics are far more important in the context of what it means to TT.”

Thompson was mindful that he turned 30 earlier this month, and while maintaining that otherwise, he was in fine shape, he was cognisant of the fact that as athletes age, their bodies take longer to recuperate. “When I was say, 23, I would shake it off and run through the pain,” he said with a smile, “but now I have to act responsibly and be patient.”

Three of Thompson’s four major medals have come in the sprint relays. In Beijing 2008, he ran second to Usain Bolt in the 100 metres and anchored TT to silver in the sprint relay. “Torpedo” also ran the anchor as TT won relay silver at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, and his relay bronze in London 2012 could soon be changed to silver, since the US squad was disqualified after Tyson Gay tested positive for anabolic steroid use.

Looking ahead at TT’s future sprint hopes on display over the weekend, Thompson singled out Concorde’s Shermund Allsop, who trains with him, and Abilene’s Jonathan Farinha as two youngsters who he felt could go on to success on the world stage. “Marcus (Duncan) has been unfortunate with injuries,” he added. “But I would have to say that our sprinting is not where it was around 2009-2012.” He also suggested that Michelle Lee-Ahye should back off and allow her body to heal fully. “It’s sad to see her not being at her best,” he said. “One moment she’s injured and a few weeks later she’s running again. She’s young and she has a long way to go.” Lee-Ahye, who was first injured in 2014, seemed to be hurt after running second to Kelly-Ann Baptiste in the Women’s 100m final on Saturday. Thompson expressed the view the 23-year-old ought to allow her body to recover fully before going back into competition.

As for his immediate plans, Thompson said that while the season ends for athletes around the end of September, he is likely to return to the gym sooner than most. He is expected to return to the US later this week.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:35:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:08 PM »
RT sent out some good advice to MLA in above report.

Also check out this interview RT did with CNC3 about struggling with a knee injury that he did after pulling out from the Men's 100m Final on Saturday. Click link to view: https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153436061802996

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato in charge of ‘Torpedo’
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
Ato in charge of ‘Torpedo’
By Andre Baptise (T&T Guardian)
Published: Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Richard Thompson: Now in Ato's Camp

T&T’s four-time Olympic medallist and  former World 200 metres champion Ato Boldon, has accepted the role of preparing Richard ‘Torpedo’ Thomspon for next year’s Olympic Games in Rio.

Boldon, who is currently performing multiple roles at the Beijing World Championships 2015, revealed yesterday that Thompson approached him and he had accepted the challenge to prepare the 2008 Olympic 100 metres silver medallist for the prestigious event next year.

Boldon said he always enjoyed a good relationship with Thompson and had known him since primary school. “He called me and said:  “You know what? I do not have too many more chances at this but I want to be at my best for the Olympics, so would you consider coaching me?”

Boldon said he responded positively but told Thompson such a development would mean moving to Florida.  “So he is in Florida right now looking for a house. So Richard Thompson will be joining my team.”

Boldon said he expects Thompson to be in Florida very soon since his camp starts in October. “Richard will be with me. My camp is a lot bigger than that of three but I just cannot reveal who is coming. There may be some other Trinidad and Tobago sprinters as well. As of right now, only Richard Thompson is confirmed and of course Khalifa St Fort,” he added.

One of his key roles in Beijing is part of the T&T coaching staff where he is focused on the relays. He is working closely with the women's 4x100 metres team.

“I have watched them train since we got here. I know how Michele (Lee Ahye) has been battling injuries and Kelly-Ann (Baptiste) is coming back from a couple years off, so I was very proud of the fact that they both made the finals. America had only one person in the final and we put two. This is very significant. I wish they could have run better but I think this set up for a nice run at the Rio Olympics, now that they have reached the finals some months ahead of the Games,” noted Boldon

Reflecting on the race which was won by Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, Boldon said Ahye may have taken herself out of the race early because of a slow start.  “Michelle is a very inconsistent starter and when you are in a final with people running 10.7 and 10.8, you don’t have that luxury so she took herself out of it early.”

He thought Baptiste was a bit rusty. “When she is at her best, Kelly-Ann can start with anybody in the world but she has not been starting with that kind of form for quite some time,” he noted.

Boldon said both sprinters have to time their season better. “The times that it took to make the podium tonight, Michele was actually running in April in Gainesville at the Florida Relays. You have to time your season so that you are running your best times when it counts. That is what all the athletes here are trying to do—time your season to be at your best when it counts the most.” 

Apart from his role on the T&T coaching staff, Boldon is also an IAAF brand ambassador and NBC analyst.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:09:26 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sprinter Thompson inspires young athletes
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2015, 12:54:20 AM »
Sprinter Thompson inspires young athletes
By Sean Nero (T&T Guardian)
Published: Sunday, September 13, 2015

Gatorade and Three time Olympic Silver Medalists Richard Thompson held a Sprinting Camp at Hasley Crawford Stadium Training Grounds, yesterday. Thompson showed some of the campers different techniques including stretching, proper form and diet and sports nutrition. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA

Three-time Olympic medallist Richard Thompson says the opportunity to partner with sports drink manufacturer Gatorade to host yesterday’s inaugural sprinting camp in his name was a huge boast for his career. Some 100 emerging athletes from major clubs and schools across the country turned out for the Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp held at the outfield at the Hasley Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, Port-of-Spain.

In a T&T Guardian interview the champion athlete cited the hunger he developed for new information about his sport just over two years ago, which guided him along the path to conceptualise and execute this clinic. In his view, it was part of his natural progression.

“I know where my head was a couple years ago, how much knowledge I wanted; how hungry I was for knowledge; how hungry I was to get better; and I know these kids are no different from me. I know there are a lot of people who see people like (Usian) Bolt and Maurice Greene and LaShawn Merritt and some of the top names and feel they want to be like them.

This is my way of assisting them to achieve that dream and to achieve that goal, but having these camps and giving them insight into things that could allow them to be better on a daily basis, that could allow them to be better in competition.

“And, who knows what this would lead to? If it’s as simple as them qualifying for Carifta Games and the regional meets; or going to a (foreign) university and doing better. It may mean becoming professionals from secondary school, but which ever way we could assist and try to get people better, it’s important to us. I’m extremely glad to associated with something like that,” he said. 

“I think it’s very important that we focus on the young talent in T&T. Keston Bledman and I have to have people continue to fly the flag when we decide that we are going to hang up our spikes. This is just part of the process-molding the young ones, giving insight into some of the things they may not be privy to or have any knowledge at all about-including things like strengthen and conditioning.”

Gregory Seale from Movement Mechanics enlightened emerging athletes on the two previous areas of training as well as nutrition during yesterday’s session. Thompson lamented that because proper nutrition usually had no place in programmes designed by young athletes and their parents, but declared if they did not eat right to fuel their bodies the right way then the hard work they put in was null and void.

Shane Cooper, meanwhile, an athlete development and sports performance specialist from Altis Performance Evolution brought his experience as an assistant sprint coach from a US-based educational facility to bear. Thompson said establishing himself as a brand synonymous with educating and nurturing in sport was crucial for him.

“It is something I’ve always wanted to do-to help kids out-because again every time I talk somewhere, every time I give a motivation speech, I talk about the impact that Ato Boldon had on me in primary school, coming into Newtown Boy’s...just his presence! This guy went to the same school as me, he is from the same country as me and here he is an Olympic medallist. Why can’t I do it too?

“This camp was to give kids hope, by me not only sharing stories with them and motivating them, but allowing them to interact with me going through the exercises and drills and accelerations; the stuff that I do as a professional,” Thompson said.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:34:07 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson impressed with turnout at Sprinting Camp
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2015, 03:28:22 AM »
Thompson impressed with turnout at Sprinting Camp
Sunday, September 13 2015 (T&T Newsday)

THREE-TIME Olympic medallist Richard Thompson was impressed with the turnout of youngsters at the Hasely Crawford Stadium’s Training Field in Mucurapo yesterday, at the inaugural Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp.

The event, conducted by the ace Trinidad and Tobago sprinter, along with sports performance and corrective exercise specialists Gregory Seale and Shane Cooper, featured athletes from a number of schools and athletic clubs, including QRC Athletic Club, Fatima College Track and Field Team, Simplex Athletic Club, Memphis Pioneers Athletic Club and Zenith Athletic Club.

Speaking at the conclusion of yesterday’s session, the 30-year-old Thompson pointed out, “I thought it was a huge success. We actually got more people than we anticipated.

We catered for about 80 people and we ended up having just about 100 kids.

“The whole purpose of the camp was to be able to pass on knowledge that I’ve earned and gained as a professional,” he continued.

“They were able to get a lot of insights into the different aspects of what it takes to be a professional.

Many different things that we do as elite athletes, they were able to have a taste of it.

“And I’m really proud of everybody who had some involvement, including the athletes. I think they were very receptive to the information given to them and it was great.

I’m looking forward to doing more like (this).” Asked about how the event was conceptualised, Thompson replied, “when I initially spoke with Gatorade, one of my initiatives was being able to give back to the kids in Trinidad and Tobago.

“We said we were going to target some of the older athletes, who are about to make it to the next level, those with potential to be national athletes.

“I’m glad they were able to support the initiative and share the same vision that I had,” he added.

“It was a great success. Charlene De Freitas, Marc Mouttet were all very essential in (yesterday’s) success.

They put a lot of time and effort into preparing the event.” Such an initiative may lead one to wonder if Thompson may be eyeing a career as a coach, when he retires from active competition.

The 100-metre specialist noted, “not to toot my own horn but the kids seemed very interested in what I was saying.

They seemed very tuned in and seemed to be having fun. That was one of the main things I stressed with the Gatorade (representatives). I was able to have a balance between them having fun and me imparting the knowledge.

“Who knows, it’s not out of the question, it’s not something that I have in mind right now to pursue as a full-time coach,” he said. “As far as being a full-time coach, I don’t know. We’ll see how it goes.” A knee injury forced Thompson to curtail his 2015 season and he subsequently missed the IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China last August.

“2015 was a terrible year for me,” was how he described his season.

“I had an injury that I started feeling in April and it progressively got worse. As a result I had to end the season in June.

I haven’t had to end my season early because of injury since 2004, so this is almost new for me, having that experience.

“This is my first summer since 2006 not representing Trinidad and Tobago at an international meet,” he added.

“So it was weird for me being home during the summer and actually spend time with my family.

“Out of every bad, something good always happens. I think I know the weaknesses that I have and I think I know how to strengthen them, for next year, to be better,” he ended.

In a media release, James Robertson, Marketing Manager, International Brands Division - VEMCO Limited, said, “Gatorade strives to advance our mission of enabling athletes to always perform at their peak.

“The Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp is a perfect example of this as we aim to help our young athletes go for gold, from the local stage to the world stage.”

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:59:45 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
An athlete’s plea*...Thompson impressed with Minister Smith
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2015, 03:37:39 AM »
An athlete’s plea*
Thompson impressed with Minister Smith

By Kwame Laurence, kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Sep 12, 2015, 7:45 pm AST (T&T Express)

GATORADE FUELS THE FUTURE: Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, left foreground, looks on as Shomari John gets out of the blocks during the Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium Training Field, in Port of Spain, yesterday. Standing behind John is former quarter-miler Reginald Brown, an assistant coach at the camp. —Photo: ANISTO ALVES

Triple Olympic silver medallist Richard “Torpedo” Thompson is optimistic about the future of sport in Trinidad and Tobago, under the stewardship of newly-appointed Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, Darryl Smith.

“I actually watched the news and I heard his speech,” Thompson told the Sunday Express yesterday, “and I was very impressed by the mentality that he has.”

After being sworn in to the new Cabinet on Friday, Smith proclaimed that he would be taking an “athletes first” approach to his job.

“He seems to be very athlete-oriented,” said Thompson, “and I think in this nation that’s what we need. We need to put the athletes first. We’ve seen in the past ministers coming in, and essentially they make themselves the number one priority. In order to see the athletes progress, as a Ministry, as a country, and as a Minister, Mr Smith has to follow through on his words and put the athletes first.”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:52:19 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mulugata happy with Thompson initiative
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Mulugata happy with Thompson initiative
By Sean Nero (T&T Guardian)
Published: Monday, September 14, 2015

Carifta bronze medallist Xavier Mulugata, 18, left greets Marc Mouttet, director, Vemco Limited while Olympic medallist Richard Thompson looks on. Occasion was Saturday’s inaugural Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp held at the outfield at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, Port-of-Spain. PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA

Carifta bronze medallist Xavier Mulugata, 18, is applauding the vision of three-time Olympic medallist Richard Thompson to bolster the ability of emerging athletes through his inaugural sprinting camp.

The Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp was the athlete development initiative undertaken by the Olympic sprinter on Saturday and held at the outfield at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, Port-of-Spain, with the aim of nurturing future champions in sport.

In a T&T Guardian interview, Mulugata, a 100m and 200m specialist, lauded the opportunity to be part of the weekend exercise which he firmly believed would strengthen his ability to medal going forward.

“Being the young athlete that I am, I came out here to learn more knowledge of the sport; to better the sport for my personal gain. It's good to meet with one of our local stars to get more knowledge. That's my main purpose,” he said.

Relating some major hurdles he had to overcome over the years, Mulugata said: “It was a hard road, because for the previous season, I've been in an out of injury. It was a hard road for me fighting with injury, trying to get to that competitive stage. So it wasn't an easy road at all. It was a lot of hard work and dedication and not giving up at all.”

Ahead of the practical sessions at the weekend, Thompson and his team engaged athletes in discussion on the importance of nutrition, before they went on to understand some aspect of the body's mechanics and how this area of knowledge could help an athlete run efficiently.

Gregory Seale and his team from Movement Mechanics and Shane Cooper of Atlis Performance Evolution were the coaching experts on hand to ensure the estimated 100 athletes in development achieved the right form in the execution of the routines.

Mulugata said: “The drills that were demonstrated here are very important drills, showing you how to work the smaller muscles, because a lot of people tend to forget about the smaller muscles. It's really about learning new stuff and incorporating it in your training sessions. Good drills were learnt. It’s really necessary for improvement and to carry about in your daily routine. I think it would enhance my performance in term of competitiveness.”

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NEW DAWN: 'Torpedo' Thompson excited about Ato move
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »
NEW DAWN
'Torpedo' Thompson excited about Ato move

Published on Sep 13, 2015, 9:48 pm AST (T&T Express)

'LIKE THIS': Richard “Torpedo” Thompson gives a demonstration during the Gatorade Richard Thompson Sprinting Camp, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium Training Field, Port of Spain, on Saturday. -Photo: ANISTO ALVES

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson will be in Florida in the first week of November, training under the watchful eyes of his new coach Ato Boldon.

Thompson, who cut short his 2015 season because of a knee injury, told the Express he is eagerly anticipating his partnership with Trinidad and Tobago's quadruple Olympic medallist.

“I'm looking forward to the move. I can't wait to start training with Ato. It's the change that I need. There's no guarantee that it will work but I think any athlete has to give himself the best chance and opportunity to perform at a high level.”

Thompson earned silver at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, finishing second to Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt in the men's 100 metres dash. Thompson also has two Olympic 4x100m silver medals, as well as a World Championship sprint relay silver. Individually, though, he has not been able to reproduce his Beijing 2008 podium success at the global level.

“I always say out of any bad situation something good comes. Being injured this year gave me a lot of time to sit back and reflect on the past couple of years as a professional athlete. I know I haven't performed to the standard I expect for myself and what others expect from me as well. As a result I decided to make a switch.

“I wanted a new environment,” the triple Olympic silver medallist explained, “and I wanted a new programme. I'm extremely grateful to coach Dennis Shaver and everything coach and the LSU (Louisiana State University) programme has done for me over the years. They've been great to me and moulded me into the professional athlete that I am today.

“But I just felt like I had gotten to a point in my career where I had been stagnant. I had literally been doing everything, from massages, strength and conditioning training, all the different things, and utilising the necessary resources and tools to get myself better, and I wasn't seeing the improvement that I wanted to make.”

Boldon, meanwhile, was coaching teenager Khalifa St Fort in Florida. The American-born teenager made huge strides under Boldon's guidance. She lowered her personal best in the 100m to 11.19 seconds, and earned silver for T&T at the 2015 IAAF World Youth Championships and gold at the Pan American Junior Championships. She was also part of the women's 4x100m squad that bagged bronze at the IAAF World Championships.

“It came to my attention,” said Thompson, “that Ato was coaching Khalifa, who I believe is a huge talent and has great potential to do big things eventually. I always said that I think Ato would make a great coach. He's very knowledgeable, he's very up to the time, and he's a very proud person so if he puts his hands on something he wants it to be done in a particular way.

“I thought about it for a while,” the Torpedo continued, “then I picked up the phone and I called him, and I asked him if he would be interested in helping me to prepare for the 2016 Rio Olympics. He jumped at the opportunity, he was extremely enthusiastic about it. We started planning one time. It's a great, great relationship. It moved from Ato being my idol to becoming my friend to becoming my mentor and motivator, to now being my coach.”

Thompson is currently in Trinidad, preparing for his move to Florida.

“Shayne Cooper is helping me, Orlando Ortega, Peter Campbell. They are pretty much preparing me to be ready for Ato. I know Ato's programme is going to be tough, and I want to show up ready for whatever he has in store for me to do. I had a knee injury this year and that's something we had to focus on as well.

“I will officially start training with Ato in the first week of November. Ato is the head of the table. He is the one in charge and has the final say.”

Thompson said he will benefit from being part of a small training group.

“There's Khalifa, and also the possibility of another athlete coming over. Regardless of who it is, it still means intimate work. It wouldn't be a big group of us. That way Ato has time to have a special eye on us. That's essentially what I need right now. I need eyes on me full-time to straighten out some of the mistakes I've been making. These little details sometimes make a huge difference.”

Thompson, the national record holder in the 100m at 9.82 seconds, is confident he can still compete with the world's best sprinters.

“With the level Bolt and (Justin) Gatlin are performing at right now, and young kids like Trayvon Bromell and Andre De Grasse coming up and medalling in World Championships this year, it's tough competition. In order to put myself back in the mix again, there's a lot of work to be done.”

Bolt, the reigning world and Olympic champion in both sprints, will be the man to beat at the Rio Games.

“Just mounting the podium again would be a huge success for me,” said Thompson. “Bolt proved himself to be not just a physical champion this time, but he proved himself to be a mental champion, and he's a very difficult person to overthrow. People always say to shoot for the stars and you could beat whoever you put your mind to, which I essentially believe.

“But I also believe,” the 30-year-old T&T track star continued, “it has to be incrementally done, and you have to take small steps to eventually make it to the finish line. Right now I'm just taking those small steps, and it means me being 100 percent healthy again and working very hard running amongst the elite again. A medal in Rio would be the icing on the cake.”
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:52:08 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
PLEA TO SPORTT and Minister Smith
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
PLEA TO SPORTT and Minister Smith
From Richard 'Torpedo' Thompson, facebook Page
Monday, 14 September 2015

Richard Thompson conducts Sprinting Camp, at Hasely Crawford Stadium Training Field

While there were a number of positive things that came from the Gatorade Richard Thompson camp this weekend, there was something that left me upset and quite frankly utterly embarrassed. I want you to pay attention to the condition of the track in the background of this picture. A similar pic ended up on the back page (and website) of the Trinidad Express, which can be seen around the world.

This is our warm up track at the Hasely Crawford stadium. How do we allow a NATIONAL FACILITY to deteriorate this badly? It is the responsibility of the Sport company of T&T (SPORTT) to ensure that all national facilities are maintained to a particular standard. I'm not sure what the explanation is for allowing the track to reach this state but its condition is unacceptable.

Many national athletes use this track to train and ALL of our athletes vying for a position on any national team warm up on this track before competing.

Minister Smith, I understand that you are newly appointed and your plate is full but my humble request is that you make this a priority on your to-do list. I'm calling on you because I believe that you have a genuine interest in progressing the youth of T&T. Please address this matter with SPORTT to ensure that we show some form of national pride in what belongs to us.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:40:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rio window: ‘Torpedo’ Thompson buoyed ahead of Olympic season
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:18 PM »
Rio window
‘Torpedo’ Thompson buoyed ahead of Olympic season

Published on Sep 14, 2015, 8:21 pm AST (T&T Express)

Looking for new start in Florida: Richard Thompson

A window of opportunity. This is Richard “Torpedo” Thompson's take on the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

The Trinidad and Tobago sprint star turns 31 next June, a couple months ahead of his bid for Olympic honours.

“I don't have it in my head that Rio is my last Olympics,” Thompson told the Express, “or my last shot. When you look at the top sprinters in the world right now…Justin Gatlin is 33, Tyson Gay is the same age, Asafa Powell is the same age (32). These guys have been around for a long time, so it's not impossible that I go to another Olympics and possibly do well there.

“But as people say you have to strike while the iron is hot. I still have youth on my side, and I still feel as though I have the energy and what it takes to run fast times. I want to capitalise on that opportunity. A lot can change between 2016 and 2020. When it's your time to do something you need to capitalise on it, especially as a professional athlete.

“We have a window that you're possibly going to perform at your best. When that window closes, it's very difficult to try to open it again. Sometimes it's shut and it's shut forever. For me it's still open and I want to find my way through it.”

Thompson was just 23 when he seized men's 100 metres silver at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, in China. He was a finalist at the 2012 London Olympics, but was unable to secure a podium finish.

Thompson has decided to make a coaching change ahead of the Rio Games. The US-based sprinter is moving his training base from Louisiana to Florida, where he will be coached by T&T's quadruple Olympic medallist and 1997 200m world champion Ato Boldon.

“As I progress to next season,” said Thompson, “I intend to put in the work. I know that Ato expects nothing less of me as far as giving a hundred percent, and I expect nothing less from him as well, giving a hundred per cent. Hopefully that relationship fosters great results.”

But while Thompson is optimistic that his decision to team up with Boldon will bear fruit, he is managing his expectations.

“I don't want to say it's my time. I want to take things step by step. I don't want to count the eggs before they hatch. I would like for it to be my year, and I am confident that I can do it based on the mentality that I have right now, that I can push to be better and better than I have ever been.

“But I do understand,” he continued, “that it takes a great amount of work. I'm up to the task, and if God has it in his plans for me to be a medallist or a champion or whatever it is again, I'd be grateful.”

A knee injury forced Thompson to call off his 2015 campaign in June. As a result, the triple Olympic silver medallist missed out on last month's IAAF World Championships in Beijing.

“My experiences have taught me that even through failures and bad times, the Lord always has a blessing for each and every person. Out of many bad situations I've had a lot of blessings, including this year. Being injured was disappointing. It was my first year since 2006 not being on a national team throughout the summer, and that was tough for me.

“It was weird too, being at home over the summer, but the blessing that came was that I got to spend a lot of time with my son Rhys and my fiancée (Monique Cabral). I got to spend a lot of time with my family in Trinidad and my family in Toronto. It also helped me make the decision to move to Ato, which I think is a good decision. I'm never discouraged by failure. I may be disappointed but never discouraged.”

Thompson is currently in T&T doing off-season training and rehabilitative work on his injured knee.

“I wouldn't say it's completely behind me, but I've been doing work to strengthen it and get it better. I've been doing a lot of the work relatively pain free which is a good sign.”

The Queen's Royal College old boy returns to Louisiana early next month, and will begin training in Florida in November.

“I'm in the middle of looking for a house in Florida. I never thought I'd say I'm sad to leave Louisiana, but in hindsight Louisiana has been my home for a third of my life, for the last 10 years…great people, great culture, just a wonderful place. I love Louisiana. But in order for me to achieve great things again I have to move away from Louisiana, on to bigger things.

“My fiancée and I spoke about moving to Florida some day and being closer to home, being closer to the family. By moving to Ato, we get a head start, and we look forward to a bright future in Florida. I'm not looking forward to the 10-hour drive (from Louisiana), but everything else will be fine afterwards.”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:54:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2015, 06:33:32 AM »
Hope the move does work out for him. Just wished he had made a similar move earlier. Actually , take that back. He was with JS, but left for reasons I cannot remember.

Anyway, I hope he gets all the success he expects from this move because this championship cycle is more than likely has last hurrah.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Giving back: Thompson inspires next generation of T&T sprinters
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »
Giving back
Thompson inspires next generation of T&T sprinters

By Sean Taylor, sean.taylor@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Sep 27, 2015, 10:02 pm AST (T&T Express)

FUN IN THE SUN: Multiple Olympic medallist Richard Thompson, second from left, looks on at Ethan Forde, foreground, as he runs through drills with 50 children selected from primary and secondary schools at the Track and Field Development Camp at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, on Saturday. --Photo: Kerwin Pierre

Fifty primary school youngsters were treated with a master-class of professional sprinting training tips as Atlantic Sports Ambassador, and multiple Olympic medallist Richard Thompson, spearheaded their Track and Field Development Camp at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, on Saturday.

“When I partnered with Atlantic a year ago, this was a vision of mine to give back through various camps,” Thompson said regarding the session. “I did a camp just about two weeks ago and the focus was a bit different in that we targeted teenagers who are possibly on the verge of going to university.”

Saturday’s camp, however, catered mostly to a younger group of athletes from the 8-12 age range, and five children were chosen by Atlantic from different primary school districts around the country.

The T&T Olympian and current national 100-metre record holder conducted several drills with the children including push-ups, various forms of abdominals, his own personalised routine called the “Torpedo Circuit”, as well as a series of relays to close off the morning.

Ethan Forde was one of the youngsters that stood out in the sessions. The 13-year-old, a student of Fatima College, is currently the Atlantic Athlete of the Year and looks to have a promising future in track and field.

“I actually had the pleasure of meeting him and giving him the award,” Thompson told the press. “He’s a well-spoken young man, very focused, very hard-working and I expect to see good things from him in the future if he stays on the right path.”

Forde told the media that Thompson is his idol and hopes to emulate him someday. The T&T sprinter was happy to be an inspiration to the future generation. “It’s actually good to have an impact on people and to know I can make a difference, whether it’s physically being there with them or just from my accomplishments on the track.

Thompson also emphasised the importance grassroots-level training for the future of the sport, particularly with the mission to win ten gold medals by 2024.

“I think it’s extremely integral that we build from the ground up,” he said. “We’re trying to target some of the younger ones because they will be the ones we expect to win the gold medals by 2024. Not Keston Bledman, not Richard Thompson, not Marc Burns.

Brian Lewis is on a great campaign, and my dad always told me when I was younger to aim for the stars and worst-case scenario you end up on the rooftops, but you’re still higher than ground level.”

Thompson intends to continue spreading his knowledge and expertise across schools despite Saturday’s camp being the last of its kind for the year. He said that he will be heading to El Dorado Secondary on Friday, as he is familiar with their programme from his secondary school days.

At the end of the training, the pupils received certificates from not only Thompson, but also from fellow Atlantic Sports Ambassadors; T&T cricketer Sunil Narine and Keshorn Walcott, who famously threw his way to an Olympic gold medal in the javelin event at London 2012.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:45:20 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Torpedo’ trains, inspires young sprinters
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2015, 06:01:34 PM »
‘Torpedo’ trains, inspires young sprinters
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Sunday, September 27 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Richard Thompson conducting Atlantic Track & Field Training Camp - Elevating the future generation

THREE-TIME Olympic silver medalist Richard Thompson spent roughly two hours in blazing sun on the running track at the Hasely Crawford Stadium yesterday, guiding a group of athletically talented kids through a series of exercises and drills used by track athletes in training. It was an effort in keeping with the character of one of the country’s most popular athletes; a man whose humility and commitment to country has always stood out.

“You can’t build a strong house if you don’t have a strong foundation,” he told reporters following the session. “This is the purpose of what we’re doing here today — we’re trying to target some of the younger ones because they will be the ones that we expect to win the gold medals by 2024; not Keston Bledman, not Richard Thompson, not Marc Burns- you know, we’ve been around for a while.” The event was the final stage of the track and field element of the Atlantic Sporting Ambassador Programme that seeks to develop talented TT youths who show potential in several sporting disciplines, including swimming, cricket and sailing. A fortnight ago, Thompson had started with a group of already developing athletes. This clinic targeted kids between the ages of eight and 12; but yesterday, he had more than just track in mind.

“We wanted to introduce them to track and create awareness for sport and exercising at that age,” he explained. “A lot of kids now in our generation are stuck in front of the television, playing X-Box, PS3 and PS4. I think it’s my duty to bring them out of the house, show them different exercises, show them what it takes to be a great athlete.” Thompson has been back home for several weeks, going through the first stages of preparation for what could well be his swansong in the most prestigious arena for his sport — the Olympic Games in Rio 2016. Determined to ensure that TT’s tradition of great sprinters continues, he was making his contribution with the 20- odd youngsters who came out yesterday.

“I remember being very young and looking at Hasely Crawford and Ato Boldon and saying, these people are Olympic medalists and Olympians, and maybe it’s just something ingrained in them, they were born with it. But I didn’t know the actual process of coming to training everyday, working hard for many hours, all the different exercises. Those were things I didn’t have any knowledge about, so from a very long age I want to instil that into them, make them aware that if they do these little things each day, day in, day out, if they believe in themselves, have focus and the dedication and the discipline...” The partnership with Atlantic, therefore, came naturally. Derek Daniel, Atlantic’s Brand and Communications manager explained that yesterday’s exercise was an extension of a programme that has been running for over a decade.

“We invest heavily in the youth development area in sports,” he told Newsday.

“Atlantic has been the sponsor of primary schools cricket for the last 12 years; this is our tenth anniversary with football this year and with track and field, four years. We believe that this is where the future lies, so our investment is primarily around the youth of TT.” Thompson confessed that having been through the mill himself, he had long wanted to impart the basics to those who are likely to replace his generation of athletes.

“A lot of the things that we focused on today were very basic,” he said, adding, “But I would say, for the age group that we are dealing with, I am almost certain that around TT they aren’t doing these little exercises, so as basic as it may seem to a lot of people, at this age it’s new to them and they would have gained a lot of knowledge today.” Yesterday’s target group would be approaching maturity in 2024, the year TT Olympic Committee president Brian Lewis has set in the drive he champions for TT to achieve ten Olympic medals.

Asked for comment, Thompson explained why he was in support of it.

“I think it’s a realistic goal, as long as we start putting that in their minds from now. Brian Lewis I think has a great campaign there, and even if it is that we don’t win ten gold medals in 2024. My dad always told me when I was younger, you aim for the stars and the clouds; worstcase scenario, you end up on the rooftop, so you’re still higher than ground level.

Even if we end up with five gold medals in 2024, it would be a step up from where we are right now.” Thompson plans to visit a couple of schools in the coming week, hoping to reach out and inspire other talented youngsters; one of them, he said, will be the former El Dorado Secondary which played a significant role in the development of the likes of Darrel Brown, Marc Burns and Dion Rodriguez, among others.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:50:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Richard "Torpedo" Thompson Thread
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153670543557996/

RICHARD THOMPSON TRAINING CAMP

Richard Thompson has been a busy man over the last few weeks.

This past weekend the Olympic silver medalist completed his third training camp in the last three weeks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 06:55:30 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »

^^ I noticed there are two separate threads dedicated to RT.  Feel free to delete one of my Video Report posts if the threads are eventually merged

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »

^^ I noticed there are two separate threads dedicated to RT.  Feel free to delete one of my Video Report posts if the threads are eventually merged
:beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson motivates Atlantic coaches
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2015, 11:53:52 PM »
Thompson motivates Atlantic coaches
Published on Sep 28, 2015, 8:23 pm AST (T&T Express)

Richard Thompson

The primary school coaches may have attended the third annual Atlantic Coaching Excellence (ACE) Symposium to hear about football and cricket, but an ethical governance lawyer, a management consultant and an Olympic track and field athlete were also on the propgramme, held earlier this month at the Trinidad Hilton and Conference Centre.

Sponsored by LNG producer Atlantic, the Symposium supplemented the technical training given to the coaches in special certification sessions held earlier this year as part of the ACE Programme.

Under the ACE Programme, Atlantic helps to prepare the coaches to meet international standards in their respective disciplines by enlisting the guidance and expertise of Cricket Australia and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA). To date, Atlantic has facilitated certification for more than 600 primary school coaches.

During the Symposium, the coaches were exposed to sessions on Leadership Development by Management Consultant, Nigel Wall; Ethical Governance by Atlantic's Senior Attorney-at-Law, Oresa Charles and a motivational address by Atlantic Sports Ambassador and Olympic Sprinter, Richard “Torpedo” Thompson.

Cricket coaches who were certified this year also received tokens from Atlantic Sports Ambassadors, Kieron Pollard and Thompson.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Primary school coaches inspired by ACE
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2015, 08:02:25 PM »
Primary school coaches inspired by ACE
Published: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Coaches pose with Richard Thompson, back row, centre, and Kieron Pollard at Atlantic Symposium last month.

Primary school coaches may have attended the third annual Atlantic Coaching Excellence (ACE) Symposium to hear about football and cricket, but an ethical governance lawyer, a management consultant and an Olympic track and field athlete were on the event’s agenda, which was held earlier this month at the Trinidad Hilton and Conference Centre.

The symposium supplemented the technical training given to the coaches in special certification sessions held earlier this year as part of the ACE Programme. Under the programme, Atlantic helps to prepare the coaches to meet international standards in their respective disciplines by enlisting the guidance and expertise of Cricket Australia and the T&T Football Association (TTFA).  To date, Atlantic has facilitated certification for some 600 primary school coaches.

Addressing the coaches at the symposium, vice president, Corporate Operations at Atlantic Toni Sirju-Ramnarine said, “Atlantic’s vision has always been to help enable the next generation of cricketers and footballers and we want you to become partners in our mission.

“Over the last three years, the ACE Programme has facilitated international certification for 600 coaches in primary school cricket and football. The ACE Programme also took you through specialised leadership training in the annual ACE Symposium. Each Symposium helped to facilitate your holistic development. You have learned that you are more than mere coaches: you are also mentors and counselors, training children not only in sporting techniques but also imparting to them life skills to equip them to build a brighter future.”

During the Symposium, the coaches were exposed to sessions on Leadership Development by Management Consultant, Nigel Wall; Ethical Governance by Atlantic’s Senior Attorney-at-Law, Oresa Charles and a motivational address by Atlantic Sports Ambassador and Olympic Sprinter, Richard “Torpedo” Thompson. Cricket coaches who were certified this year also received tokens from Atlantic Sports Ambassadors, Kieron Pollard and Richard Thompson.

Rhonda Jones, a participant in the programme since its inception in 2012, said that the sessions had helped to boost her confidence in her cricket coaching abilities.   

“As a certified cricket coach, I feel more confident about my ability to nurture the love for the game that the children have,” Jones said. “Every time I attend these symposiums, I learn something new about developing and mentoring children in a professional way. Some children may have learning disabilities or problems at home. Now, I am better able to detect these things and deal with them in a better way, you know.”

Theo Boyce, a football coach attached to the Port of Spain Educational District, said that the programme had given him new perspectives about the development of the children he coached. 

“I have to interact with a lot of young boys and girls who live under very difficult conditions,” Boyce said.  “Sessions like today help me to mentor these children and give them the encouragement they need to use their talents on the field to go further in life.”

Boyce also said the Symposium’s session on Ethical Governance would help him in his personal capacity as a sporting administrator.

The coaches also commended their session in the Symposium with Thompson who shared his experiences on the international athletic circuit. Thompson spoke of the admiration he felt for his own coach and the influence of his coach on his success to date. He encouraged the coaches to continue in their “calling” to produce sporting stars that excel both on and off the field. In addition to nurturing future generations of athletes through the Atlantic National Primary Schools Cricket League and the Atlantic National Primary Schools Football League, LNG producer Atlantic has committed to provide these young athletes with all the necessary tools to succeed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:08:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Thompson inspires pupils on Gatorade school tour*
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »
Thompson inspires pupils on Gatorade school tour*
Published on Oct 21, 2015, 10:11 pm AST (T&T Express)

INSPIRATION: Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, centre in Gatorade jersey, poses with members of the Queen’s Royal College athletics team during the Gatorade school tour.

On the heels of a successful sprinting camp with secondary school athletes last month, triple Olympic silver medallist Richard “Torpedo” Thompson continued to motivate pupils during a school tour sponsored by Gatorade. On Friday October 2, students from Queen’s Royal College (Thompson’s alma mater) and St Francois Girls’ College enjoyed close-up time with the star sprinter.
In addition to the motivational talk by Thompson, students received donations of Gatorade drinks, coolers and bottles. Following his talk, Thompson answered questions from the audience and took photographs with the eager students and teachers. His presence at the schools had a great impact as participants lauded him for his achievements and ability to inspire them to go to great lengths in pursuit of their dreams.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More 200s for Thompson, Baptiste, says coach Ato *
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:55 PM »
More 200s for Thompson, Baptiste, says coach Ato *
Published on Oct 19, 2015, 8:08 pm AST (T&T Express)

YOUNG CHARGES: Coach Ato Boldon, right, back row, poses with his group of young athletes at Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar, Florida, USA. Standing next to Boldon is 15-year-old Gabriel Serrano. Standing in the front are 17-year-old Sarah Wollaston, left, 10-year-old Samantha Kavanagh and 17-year-old Khalifa St Fort. --Photo courtesy ATO BOLDON

The Ato Boldon training camp is located in Miramar, Florida, USA, but has a distinctly Trinidad and Tobago feel to it. Richard "Torpedo" Thompson is the national record holder in the men's 100 metres at a sizzling 9.82 seconds. Kelly-Ann Baptiste, meanwhile, is the fastest-ever T&T woman, having clocked 10.84 on two occasions.

Both Thompson and Baptiste will be coached by Boldon in the build-up to the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Another T&T athlete, 2015 IAAF World Youth Championship girls' 100m silver medallist Khalifa St Fort is part of the Boldon camp. Sarah Wollaston, who will challenge for a spot on T&T's 2016 Carifta Games team, started training with the quadruple Olympic medallist last week. And American quartermiler Natasha Hastings, who will train twice a month in Florida under Boldon's guidance, is a Trinbagonian of sorts. Her mother, Joanne Gardner-Hastings represented T&T in athletics.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2016, 06:10:57 AM »

CONGRATS to Richard Thompson :beermug:

Richard Thompson Ties The Knot!

The Olympic silver medalist wedded his long time sweetheart of ten years, Monique Cabral at the All Saints Anglican Church on Saturday (Jan 2).

https://www.facebook.com/120001471370258/photos/a.125598920810513.8647.120001471370258/944041998966197/?type=3&theater

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 03, 2016, 07:12:24 AM »
Hearty Congrats to Mr and Mrs Thompson. God Bless.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
REAL THREAT ...Boldon sees Thompson pushing for Rio medal
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2016, 06:26:08 PM »
REAL THREAT*
Boldon sees Thompson pushing for Rio medal

By Mark Pouchet, mark.pouchet@trinidadexpress.com
Published on Jan 30, 2016, 8:52 pm AST (T&T Express)

Richard Thompson

Trinidad and Tobago multiple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon is confident a reinvigorated Richard Thompson, under a new programme tailored by Boldon himself, could challenge for a medal in the men’s 100 metres dash at this year’s Rio Olympics.

And Boldon also believes his youngest charge, the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee and First Citizens Youth Female awardee Khalifa St Fort, can possibly dip under 11 seconds this year.

Thompson, a silver medallist in the 100m at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, switched camps from his alma mater Louisiana State University to Boldon last November.

And Boldon, a four-time Olympic medallist, said with some tweaks to his programme, Thompson is making the gains to set himself up as a serious challenger to the Men’s 100m podium.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:00:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
Richard Thompson wins T&T 2016 National Trials in new SB of 9.97 and says best is yet to come in after race interview.

Richard Thompson & Sorrillo Goes SUB-10 Men's 100m Final T&T National Trials 2016
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bC9lrEfLTk4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bC9lrEfLTk4</a>
2016 NGC/SAGICOR/NAAA NATIONAL OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
Live Results @ ttnaaa.org - 6/24/2016 to 6/26/2016 HASELY CRAWFORD STADIUM

Men's 100 Meter Dash Final

1 Thompson, Richard 85 Rebirth 9.97 OG 1.7 2
2 Sorrillo, Rondell 86 LA Brea 9.99 OG 1.7 2
3 Bledman, Keston 88 Simplex 10.10 OG 1.7 2

4 Callender, Emmanue 84 Memphis Pioneers 10.19 1.7 2
5 Duncan, Marcus 86 Rebirth 10.25 1.7 2
6 Greaux, Kyle 88 Abilene 10.27 1.7 2

7 Allsop, Shermund 91 Concorde 10.31 1.7 2
8 Morain, Moriba 92 Simplex 10.33 1.7 2

Richard Thompson On Winning 100M (After race interview)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CXx8ZXWduLk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CXx8ZXWduLk</a>

1]; } ?>