April 20, 2024, 05:18:29 AM

Author Topic: The Official Richard "Torpedo" Thompson Thread  (Read 54803 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thompson breaks Boldon record with 9.85 run
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
Thompson breaks Boldon record with 9.85 run
By: Clayton Clarke (Guardian).

Sprinter Richard Thompson gave fans their money’s worth with a national record run of 9.85 seconds in taking the men’s 100m in Sagicor Open National Track and Field Championships at the Hasely Crawford, Mucurapo last night. The double Olympic silver medallist, got a rocket start from lane six and took an early lead. At sixty metres out he pulled away to capture his third straight national crown (wind reading of 1.0 metre per second). Keston Bledman was runner-up for the second straight year in 10.06 seconds with Aaron Armstrong (10.07), Marc Burns (10.09), Emmanuel Callender (10.12), Darryl Brown (10.13) and Rondel Sorillo (10.17) as the top seven all ran under the IAAF ‘A’ qualifying standard of 10.18.

Armstrong, Burns, Callender and Sorillo also set season’s best times with Sorillo clocking also a life time best. Teenager Jamol James was eighth in 11.02. In the qualifying round earlier Thompson cruised to victory in the first heat in a pedestrian 10.40 seconds while Brown took the second in a casual 10.56. Bledman sauntered to the victory in the third in 10.53 while Callender was pushed into the fourth by Sorillo (10.16 to 10.33) as both advanced. Burns captured the first in a tussle with Armstrong (10.18 to 10.19), with Jamol grabbing the last qualifying spot in third in 10.43.

Thompson’s time lowered the previous national mark of 9.86 seconds held by quadruple Olympic medallist Ato Boldon (twice in 1998 on April 6 and June 17 and twice in 1999 on June 16 and July 17). Thompson said she was surprised about his time. “I know I felt good before the race and I was ready to dip under ten seconds, however 9.85 was beyond what I expected. I am just thankful for it.” Thompson said before he was not going for the time which may have helped him to be relaxed. “When you go into a race to have fun you sometime do your best and I broke the national record.” The Cascade resident was quick to pay tribute to Boldon. “I want to thank him. He still give me advice and he has paved the way for us to do what we are doing today so kudos to him. We love and respect him.”

Earlier Semoy Hackett took the ladies crown in a wind assisted 11.00 seconds. The 22-year-old pulled away from the field to take the victory. The time is not a personal best for her as the wind reading was 2.2, just over the allowable limit of 2.0. Hackett took an early lead and held off teenagers Kai Selvon and Michelle Lee Ahye (11.19 and 11.20). Veteran Ayanna Hutchison was fourth (11.30) with Reyare Thomas (11.59), Shu-Shauna Mason (11.53) and Kamaria Durant (11.98) behind. The victory is the first for the former Bishop High School student after finishing third in 2008, second in 2009 and 2010. In the heat Hackett was the quickest in preliminaries taking heat two in 11.35 ahead of Selvon (11.43), Hutchinson (11.63) and Mason (12.09). Lee Ahye took the first heat in 11.47 from Thomas (11.53) and Springer (11.82) and Durant (12.01).

Renny Quow took the men’s 400m finals in 45.81. The reigning World 400m bronze medallist made his move at the 200m mark and pulled away to capture his fifth national one lap crown ahead of Jarrin Solomon (46.40) and defending champion Zwede Hewitt (46.61). Jovon Toppin was fourth (47.34) with Dan-Neil Telesford (47.52) and Deverne Charles (48.01). Quow advanced to finals taking the second heat in the prelims in 47.19 ahead of Hewitt (47.45, Deon Lendore (48.12), Telesford (48.19) and Charles (48.42). Solomon was the fastest going into the finals topping heat one in 46.77 with Toppin (47.34) and Justin Maloney (48.43). Afiya Walker captured the ladies race in 54.48 ahead of Magnolia Howell (55.15). National record holder Ayanna Alexander triumphed in the women’s triple jump in 13.64 metres while Quincy Wilson won the men’s shot put in 16.10m ahead of powerlifter and visually impaired Carlos Greene (10.45) and Akil George (9.98).
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Thompson breaks Boldon record with 9.85 run
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:32 AM »
The quality of this final is stupendous considering the size of our nation.

I know we have electronic timing at the HCS but how are these PBs recognised? Do they take the word of the NAAA or is there an IAAF official there?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

I know we have electronic timing at the HCS but how are these PBs recognised? Do they take the word of the NAAA or is there an IAAF official there?

VB

Good question. Somebody plz.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
me ain't no track and field pundit but how come year after year men does be producing times in Trinidad they cyar produce elsewhere?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
me ain't no track and field pundit but how come year after year men does be producing times in Trinidad they cyar produce elsewhere?

Good point but the others in the race all ran decent times that we could have expected of them anywhere else at this stage in the season just before Worlds and seeing that Richard definitely created a big gap between himself and the others his 9.85 looks legit. Note 2nd place by Bledman was 10.06 and he has already ran 9.93 this year! I would have expected a sub-10 from him as well in that race but based upon the gap of victory for Richard I would say that all the athletes recorded times were legit.

Also Ato said he first doubted the time when he heard about it but after looking at the race he accepts that Richard's time is legit. I am sure an expert like Ato would have questioned the time after seeing the race if he didn't think it was legit especially as it’s his national record that got eclipsed!

At any rate if Richard gets to the finals at World’s and runs a similar time or better in the final he would have confirmed that the time he ran yesterday at the trials is legit!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
To re-phrase the question: Is the electronic equipment calibrated to the correct international legal code and specs ?
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
To re-phrase the question: Is the electronic equipment calibrated to the correct international legal code and specs ?
::)

Like yuh trying for another Award or what?

Go ask that on the NAAA T&T website at http://www.ttnaaa.org & let us know if they bother to waste their time answering yuh!

We are not the one throwing this meet, its the NAAA of T&T!  8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:23:38 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »
Fastest 100m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_metres

So Richard is now in the top 13 of all time fastest 100m list!

Well done & congrats to him once again!  :beermug:

If he can improve on his 9.85 time in the Worlds then he's likely to be on the medal podium!  :)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »
Licks  :devil:

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Licks  :devil:

That gap so big that Richard could have posed for pictures like Bolt if he wanted & still win comfortable!
No wonder he wore shades to protect his eyes from all the flash bulbs!!  8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:14:52 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »
ketch meh if you can, nah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:49:19 AM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
Video

thanks ill get this up on youtube , so it wont be lost
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-G6KW0AgZXk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-G6KW0AgZXk</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110815/sports/sports3.html

T&T's Thompson sounds Daegu warning
Published: Monday | August 15, 2011

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, (CMC):

A lifetime-best dash from Richard Thompson made the men's 100 metres at this year's World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, even more mouth-watering.

The 26-year-old sprinter Thompson raised eyebrows when he scorched 9.85 seconds on the first day of the Trinidad & Tobago national championships on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Thompson, silver medallist over the distance at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, showed his class, finishing ahead of Keston Bledman (10.06 secs) and Aaron Armstrong (10.07) in a high-quality field that also included Marc Burns, Emmanuel Callender, Darrel Brown, and Rondel Sorrillo.

New national record

The result meant that Thompson, also known as 'Torpedo', established a new national record in the 100m, eclipsing Ato Boldon's 13-year-old mark of 9.86, as well as a new meet and stadium record.

"The national record was not the goal coming into the race today, but I'm very glad I was able to achieve it," said Thompson, whose victory comes against the backdrop of the National Association of Athletics Administrations turning down his request to skip the meet.

"This is just a bonus. Sometimes in life, when you're trying too hard, you're not able to accomplish it. That was the case in the past.

"I was trying too hard to get under 10 seconds, and this weekend, when I was most relaxed, I was able to achieve it. I'm just thankful to God, family, friends, and fans for coming out to support. I was able to feed off the energy from the crowd."

Before a crowd of 6,000-plus, Thompson benefited from a sound start, and had the race wrapped up at the 60-metre mark

"God does everything for a reason. If I didn't come home this weekend, I would not have gotten the national record this weekend. I'm thankful for the 9.85, and most of all, coming out injury free, and qualifying for Daegu."

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »

Go ask that on the NAAA T&T website at http://www.ttnaaa.org & let us know if they bother to waste their time answering yuh!

With that rebuttal you sound like a typical Trini.. every fackin thing ah man say yuh reply with a negative remark. When ATO was in he prime I heard much people like you saying " he need to this and that to better he self " I think yuh fall in that category of negatives. A reminder ATO is one of our most successful track athlete with several medals.
Look!! maann!! Later fuh you... :talktothehand:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:23:58 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »

With that rebuttal you sound like a typical Trini.. every fackin thing ah man say yuh reply with a negative remark. When ATO was in he prime I heard much people like you saying " he need to this and that to better he self " I think yuh fall in that category of negatives. A reminder ATO is one of our most successful track athlete with several medals.
Look!! maann!! Later fuh you...
:talktothehand:

I trying hard to get you to use your brain but is like ah wasting meh time!!
Keep trying & yuh bound to win another award! Yuh definitely got that on lock, no contest!

Check the link posted by 1-868 in this thread for your benefit and tell me if the electronic time at the HCS wasn't accepted as legit if they would already have it published in Wikipedia!
Fastest 100m

After yuh work out if the time legit or not then come back and accuse me of being a typical negative Trini for trying to force you to use yuh brain!  ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:55:58 PM by Socapro »

AirMan

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
Congrats to RT ! I hope he takes this form into teh Worlds in Korea

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »

Keep trying & yuh bound to win another award! Yuh definitely got that on lock, no contest!

Check the link posted by 1-868 in this thread for your benefit and tell me if the electronic time at the HCS wasn't accepted as legit if they would already have it published in Wikipedia!
Fastest 100m

After yuh work out if the time legit or not then come back and accuse me of being a typical negative Trini for trying to force you to use yuh brain!  ::)

Doh study my brain you may have a stroke tomorrow and would not be able to use yours.

Aye!! I did not question the electronic time equiment.  Again...  :talktothehand:

I gone.. and I will not reply to anyone of your further comments.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:23:56 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »

Fastest 100m

Doh study my brain you may have a stroke tomorrow and would not be able to use yours.

Aye!! I did not question the electronic time equiment.  Again...  :talktothehand:

I gone.. and I will not reply to anyone of your further comments.

I think you really pushing hard for another award yes!!  ::)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
Interview from this morning. CTV

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZKg_Cd41OQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qZKg_Cd41OQ</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
Interview from this morning. CTV

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qZKg_Cd41OQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qZKg_Cd41OQ</a>

Nice one D.H.W!

Many thanks for recording & posting this here!!

Great interview by the panel!!  :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »
 :beermug: Thanks !
Youtube Channel

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
Good, well rounded interview!!!
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:27 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/5352-thompson-gets-em-with-national-record

Thompson gets ‘em’ with national record
Monday, 15 August 2011 10:25 By Taharka Carrington, taharkacarrington@yahoo.com

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - As recently as Thursday, Richard Thompson was uncertain as to whether he would return home for the National Championships, but at 6:40pm on Saturday night, Richard ‘Torpedo’ Thompson became the new national 100m record holder at 9.85 seconds at the Hasley Crawford Stadium.

The ‘Torpedo’- a long narrow under water missile – exploded out of his blocks and when he was over the finish line, and the time appeared on the screen, the raucous, but adoring crowd burst into celebrations.

Yes, it was a new national record. Ato Boldon’s 9.86 stood no more.

“I knew I felt good before the race and I was ready to dip under 10 seconds, however 9.85 was beyond what I expected. I am just thankful for it.” He also acknowledged the man who he replaced in the history books “I want to thank Ato. He still gives me advice and he has paved the way for us to do what we are doing today so kudos to him.” The time eclipses his previous personal best of 9.89 which he produced in taking silver behind Usain Bolt at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.

The race was of such high quality, that 7 of the 8 finalists made the World Championships ‘A’ qualifying standard (10.18 seconds).

Trailing Thompson was Keston Bledman—the pre race favourite - in 10.06. Aaron Armstrong (10.07SB) and Marc Burns (10.08 SB) were third and fourth respectively. Rounding off the list was Emmanuel Callender (10.12 SB), Darryl Brown (10.13 SB), Rondell Sorrillo (10.17 PB) and teenager Jamol James (11.02). The victory made it three titles in a row for Thompson.

The National Championships were postponed from the 26th and 27th of June to last weekend because of the delays in the relaying of the track at the Hasley Crawford stadiu.  Richard Thompson and his agent then wrote to the NAAA asking for his exemption from the championships, because they thought it was too close to the World Championships in just under two weeks. The NAAA replied saying six runners had made the qualifying time (including Thompson), and he needed to attend in order to justify his pick.

The NAAA decision to turn down Thompson’s request was definitely justified, since seven athletes made the A standard qualifier, but for Thompson “[It] was a blessing in disguise” as he produced a life time best and national record on a spanking new track.

Ato Boldon, who ran the previous record on four occasions between 1998 and 1999, lost his second record this season. In May, Zimbabwean Ngonidashe Makusha took down his 15 year old NCCA record.

In fact, this may have been revenge for the 26 year Thompson. If you look back to the 2008 NCAA Championships, Thompson had missed Boldon’s (then) NCAA 100m record of 9.92 second by one hundredth of a second. Three years later, he has broken Boldon’s national record by the same margin.

For the second year in succession, the winner of the Trinidad and Tobago trials in the men’s 100m has gone faster than the Jamaican Champion, Asafa Powell (10.08 seconds) and the USA champion, Walter Dix (9.94 seconds).

The time now puts Thompson joint fourth on this year’s performance list and is his first sub 10 clocking in two years.

So with Daegu (2011 World Championships) on the horizon, and all the hype been made about who will take the 100m dash, has the ‘Torpedo’ which exploded at the Hasely Crawford stadium this evening just before dust sounded his own warning?

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »

VB

I said I was not going reply but take this in.

The re-phrase issues was surrounding this above. I still didn't question anything. again...   :talktothehand:

Are you Darcus Howe?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:50:30 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 07:10:31 PM »

VB

The re-phrase issues was surrounding this above. I still didn't question anything. again...   :talktothehand:

Are you Darcus Howe?

The procedure for official recognition of an electronic time as opposed to questioning the working of the electronic timing equipment are too completely different things but I can only expect an intelligent person to understand that so won’t even waste my time trying to explain that to you!

VB's question was a valid one but unfortunately your question was an effort to have other folks waste their time on your behalf. I simply suggested in a roundabout way that you waste your own time to get the answer to your own silly question that you should already know the answer for if you brain was more functional!

Regards your 2nd silly question about if I am Darcus Howe, if you are silly enough to believe it then my answer is yes! ::)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:22:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

VB

Are you Darcus Howe?

The procedure for official recognition of an electronic time as opposed to questioning the working of the electronic timing equipment are too completely different things but I can only expect an intelligent person to understand that so won’t even waste my time trying to explain that to you!

VB's question was a valid one but unfortunately your question was an effort to have other folks waste their time on your behalf. I simply suggested in a roundabout way that you waste your own time to get the answer to your own silly question that you should already know the answer for if you brain was more functional!

Regards your 2nd silly question about if I am Darcus Howe, if you are silly enough to believe it then my answer is yes! ::)

Maann... For your FYI and to end all this double dipping situation by which you have now confirmed my thoughts that you are very ignorant and don't know what you are speaking of from a technical standpoint of intelligence. Procedure qualification development is to determine compatibility on a variety of issues surrounding testing per equipment application standard. That is why I had simply mentioned specs and codes, there is so much more I can go into but won't waste any more time with you. To ease some of your lack of knowledge this site my help wipe away some of your ignorance from a general point of view.

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/intl/intlstds.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue.htm     

Again... :talktothehand:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:14:56 PM by davyjenny1 »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:49 PM »

VB

Are you Darcus Howe?

Maann... For your FYI and to end all this double dipping situation by which you have now confirmed my thoughts that you are very ignorant and don't know what you are speaking of from a technical standpoint of intelligence. Procedure qualification development is to determine compatibility on a variety of issues surrounding testing per equipment application standard. That is why I had simply mentioned specs and codes, there is so much more I can go into but won't waste any more time with you. To ease some of your lack of knowledge this site my help wipe away some of your ignorance from a general point of view.

http://standards.ieee.org/develop/intl/intlstds.html

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue.htm     

Again... :talktothehand:

How many times now have you promised that it was your last reply to me then you’ve come back again to make yuhself look even more stupid?!  ::)

Glad you've confirmed that you already knew the answer to the silly time wasting questions you asked!
I won't even waste my time looking at those links you posted! Reason why? Because I ain't interested in wasting my time on irrelevant matters!

What matters to me is that Richard Thompson's new national record time of 9.85 has been accepted by the world as legit and the electronic timer at the HCS is not faulty! And in case you haven’t noticed, read the title of this thread and understand that your question as well as being irrelevant was in bad tasted from a Trinidadian standpoint!

Now once again, please read my lips, “Go waste yuh own time”, unless of course you are pushing for yet another award! :clown:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:34:15 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>