April 28, 2024, 11:32:47 PM

Author Topic: Edwards out Wednesday's world cup qualifier.  (Read 7128 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Edwards out Wednesday's world cup qualifier.
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF)..

Puerto Rico Islanders utility player Osei Telesford was on Saturday added as a 19th player to the Trinidad and Tobago team in Havana and is scheduled here today. But the number of players that will be in camp at the Melia Cohiba Hotel went down by one after it was learnt on Sunday night that Sunderland midfielder Carlos Edwards will not journey to Havana for  Wednesday's 2010 semi-final round World Cup qualifier against Cuba. Edwards is overcoming a family tragedy and after being granted permission by the T&T management team to delay his travel by a day, eventually asked to be excused from making the trip.

Coventry City midfielder Chris Birchall and Turkish-based striker Darryl Roberts arrived on Sunday evening. Goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams and defender Avery John, after arriving the previous night, took part in Sunday’s session at the Cerro Pelado Sports Facility. T&T head coach Francisco Maturana picked up the pace in Sunday’s session and will try to make full use of the remaining two days leading up to match time.

Joe Public defender Keyeno Thomas, one of those contesting for a central defensive position alongside Makan Hislop, with Dennis Lawrence likely to be a sure starter, described Cuba as a tricky opposition for T&T.

“This round is going to be tough and for us starting away to Cuba will be difficult. I (am) not saying we can’t get the win but it will not be as easy as people think. World Cup qualifier is a different type of game,” Thomas told TTFF Media. “Personally I will try my best once the opportunity is given to me but is all about one team being put together to get winning results. I think in the camp right now we have a kind of spirit that is making us a stronger bunch of players and from experience around the national team… that only comes with time and that (is) happening right now. The win in DC (over El Salvador) I think showed that kind of spirit that is around the team now for us to get wins like that,” Thomas added.

Storm Watch in Cuba

Cuba's Government  issued a hurricane watch for parts of the country on Saturday as Tropical Storm Fay approaches. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said that the center of the storm was moving west away from Haiti, where it dumped heavy rain.

The hurricane watch is for the provinces of Camaguey, Ciego De Avila and Sancti Spiritus in Cuba. A tropical storm warning had also been issued for other areas of Cuba and remains in effect for the southeastern Bahamas, the Turks and Caicos Islands and the coast of Haiti Forecasters say Fay may turn toward the Florida Keys.

Up to mid afternoon there were no heavy showers nor winds in or around the T&T base at the Melia Cohiba Hotel, a five-star luxury high-rise hotel located near the coastline in the Vedado district of Havana.

So far the T&T contingent has not encountered any major hiccups. There has been no indication of what size of crowd is expected at Wednesday’s game which kicks off at 8pm but there has been the odd conversation about the match by guests at the Melia Cohiba which accommodates only foreign visitors and no Cuban citizens. The rest in terms of accommodation, meals and transportation to and from training has been on spot for the Team. The contingent members have taken note though of the unwillingness to accept US dollars and the use of dial up connections for very slow internet access here.

Only in March 2008 did the Cuban government lift the ban on purchasing computers and other consumer electronics including DVDs and microwaves, which is expected to  signal greater tolerance of internet use in the future. A single-page pull out on Cuban Facts here stated that  The (US) Bush administration tightened its embargo in June 2004, allowing Cuban Americans to return to the island only once every three years (instead of every year) and restricting the amount of U.S. cash that can be spent there to $50 per day. In response, Cuba banned the use of dollars, which had been legal currency in the country for more than a decade.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:49:01 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Edwards out Wednesday's world cup qualifier.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
Oh lord we missing real players for this match - the sunderland trio, whitely and Stern...that's almost half of our best XI right there!

So I guess Baptiste will start on the wing?  Or maybe they should put Birchall on the right where he plays club ball?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »
$h!t...

Lewwe hope Cuba ent able and all that licks they take in Germany demoralise them.

Middle will be

Daniel    Theobold   Birchall    Hyland

Leon

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
Dem fellas better step up!!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »
Everyday de news gettin worse

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
$h!t...

Lewwe hope Cuba ent able and all that licks they take in Germany demoralise them.

Middle will be

Leon

correct is right touches

if he change up it go be hyland on the left and daniel aint startin
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:50:27 AM »
$h!t...

Middle will be

Leon

correct is right touches

if he change up it go be hyland on the left and daniel aint startin

He could put Glenn on the right and Hyland supporting Roberts up front... but you'll hadda drop Leon... and let Birchy sit deeper that Theobald

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »

Edwards is overcoming a family tragedy and after being granted permission by the T&T management team to delay his travel by a day, eventually asked to be excused from making the trip.

I would love to know if he was overcoming the family tragedy before he played Liverpool on Saturday....

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:57 AM »
Oh lord we missing real players for this match - the sunderland trio, whitely and Stern...that's almost half of our best XI right there!

So I guess Baptiste will start on the wing?  Or maybe they should put Birchall on the right where he plays club ball?
        That's why it was so important to prepare and get those young players ready,if you in this for the long haul it's the sensible thing to do else all now we scrambling.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »
what allyuh worried about? we beat cuba with a mostly local team, with hardest and bleeder the best players on the team, i dont see what the hell the big worry is about, if u know your football, you'll know this team will do better but on the oher hand we dont have a creative mid like we did in the digicel

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »

Edwards is overcoming a family tragedy and after being granted permission by the T&T management team to delay his travel by a day, eventually asked to be excused from making the trip.

I would love to know if he was overcoming the family tragedy before he played Liverpool on Saturday....

oh sh!t... lol

I feeling bad... but ah had to laugh at this in truth
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
What about Samuel?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »
What about Samuel?

Samuel who?

Collin Samuel?

Which team is he playing for?

Do you know if he's been even training since he was released from Toronto FC 3 months ago?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
he gone back scotland to st. johnstone.

he play the 2nd half this weekend.

St Johnstone 0-3 Dunfermline

Dunfermline made it 12 games in 13 years without defeat at McDiarmid Park with a convincing victory over fellow promotion hopefuls St Johnstone.

The visitors dominated possession and took the lead shortly before the break when Iain Williamson's speculative drive beat goalkeeper Euan McLean.

Nick Phinn bundled in the second following a goalmouth scramble.

Saints' Collin Samuel had two good efforts saved by Paul Gallagher before Graham Bayne lobbed in the Pars' third.

St Johnstone: McLean, Irvine, A Trialist, Millar, Rutkiewicz, James, Swankie (Samuel 46), Craig, Holmes (Jackson 46), Milne, Sheerin (MacDonald 86).
Subs Not Used: McCaffrey, Main.

Dunfermline: Gallacher, Woods, Wilson, Phinn, Shields, McCann, Harper (Williamson 23), Glass, Bayne, Kirk (Muirhead 85), Burke.
Subs Not Used: Willis, Dearden, Reidford.

Booked: Wilson.

Goals: Williamson 43, Phinn 56, Bayne 89.

Att: 3,697

Ref: C Allan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:13:10 AM by Andre »

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »
edwards game is very off at the moment . i really dont see it as a big lost.
let him stay and fight 4 his place
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:39:11 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
What about Samuel?

If you remember, Samuel got a call-up whilst the blacklist was still in force and NEVER SHOW UP! He didn't even text to say he not coming. I don't expect him back anytime soon...and i will have to stand with TTFF/Pacho/Anton or whoever on that one.

If we want to be a professional team and do things professionally, that hadda work all round.
Same thing with theobald and the armband, he do what he thought was right and handover the armband to Stern, but that is not how things were done.

At the same time though, if Pacho didn say nutting and just act like a spoil child then he just dotish to react like that instead of being big men and say 'so and so is d scene', so I not defending his reaction, eh.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »
What about Samuel?

Samuel who?

Collin Samuel?

Which team is he playing for?

Do you know if he's been even training since he was released from Toronto FC 3 months ago?

That's not the issue with Samuel.  The issue is Maturana probably still fuming from when he missed his flight to Jamaica because of a "miscommunication".  I guess he didn't get the text message from the TTFF with his travel itinerary

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »
D blacklist get lift ash wed so dey say anyway. D miscommunication was after dat so he eh gettin pick because he eh turn up 4 JA in JA. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »
Half a team missing.

The two most potent scorers not there. And a man still coming off injury on the side.

Whiet Boy go have to assume some extra responsibility.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »
At least Me Mum and DR get in wit d storm I was lil concerned
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »

Agree.  Was MIA on Saturday.  I think it's more a matter of him realizing that he is no longer an automatic selection at Sunderland, and that he needs to stay in the manager's good grace. We should still be able to get a point versus Cuba.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »

Agree.  Was MIA on Saturday.  I think it's more a matter of him realizing that he is no longer an automatic selection at Sunderland, and that he needs to stay in the manager's good grace. We should still be able to get a point versus Cuba.

there's a good chance that a point versus Cuba won't be good enough.  Unless we going to take 3 points from Guatemala in Guatemala.

because it's early going doesn't mean we have much margin for error.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »

wot. allyuh eh playing yuh heartless nah. anything possible, but dat is one ah we national heroes man. give de poor fella de benefit of the doubt. best wishes to Carlos. Hope he and his family well. If he hiding behind dat excuse jess to fight for his Sunderland place...well ..yuh know what he could haul. But for a man who regularly bleed for de red, white and black...de forum should be showing more love. some serious injuries, ah loss of form and men turn on yuh yes

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
how calling a spade a spade is turning on a man?  he is going to be in a sunderland uniform next game  thats the honest truth. he  is out of form and i think right now he is in the right place re. regaining his form and his starting spot.
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »
some serious injuries, ah loss of form and men turn on yuh yes

That is de reality of de career he chose hoss.  Is nutting pussonal.  Yuh tink he would hole on fuh long wit Sunderland if he wasn't capable?

He not startin because he currently not good enough and that's plain fuh everybody to see.  What he did 2 years ago is irrelevant in dis business.  

Unfair?  Yes.   Unfortunate?   Definitely.   Cruel even?   Perhaps.

But daz de realities of a professional sportsman.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Edwards is not a great loss at the moment and can easily be replaced,that is evident from his last couple of matches against Bermuda ,add to that his injuries and lack of games in England,hopefully we should get out of Cuba with at least a draw and Edwards could gradually get back to what we know he is capable of.Some of us may feel that we must beat Cuba but you can bet there would be a couple of odd results in this group,  as there will be in the others, there is no reason why Guatemala cannot get a draw against USA.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 03:06:52 PM »

That is de reality of de career he chose hoss.  Is nutting pussonal.  Yuh tink he would hole on fuh long wit Sunderland if he wasn't capable?

He not startin because he currently not good enough and that's plain fuh everybody to see.  What he did 2 years ago is irrelevant in dis business.  

Unfair?  Yes.   Unfortunate?   Definitely.   Cruel even?   Perhaps.

Ah think Filho talking bout the insinuation that he faking a tragedy to stay in Sunderland.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 03:17:35 PM »
Edwards is not a great loss at the moment and can easily be replaced,that is evident from his last couple of matches against Bermuda ,add to that his injuries and lack of games in England,hopefully we should get out of Cuba with at least a draw and Edwards could gradually get back to what we know he is capable of.Some of us may feel that we must beat Cuba but you can bet there would be a couple of odd results in this group,  as there will be in the others, there is no reason why Guatemala cannot get a draw against USA.

Actually that would be a disaster because realistically there's no way we beating the US home or away or on overall points so we need Guatemala to drop as many points as possible so we can finish 2nd

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 03:19:19 PM »
Haven't heard anything other than what is above re family tragedy, so can't shed any light on it from this end.

It maybe he feels doesn't want to be away / out of the country at the minute with whatever is going on.  Whatever it is I wish him well.

TBH I don't think it will be because RK doesn't want him to go or him fighting for his place, its not the kind of thing you would say to get out of it, not for me anyway.  Everyone knows his form has not been good since the broken leg, but he probably needs this at the minute like a hole in the head, maybe it was part of the reason he was poor when he got involved on Saturday.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
how calling a spade a spade is turning on a man?  he is going to be in a sunderland uniform next game  thats the honest truth. he  is out of form and i think right now he is in the right place re. regaining his form and his starting spot.

ah hearing yuh breds, but yuh could only call a spade a spade when yuh know the facts. playing for Sunderland next weekend does not mean he stayed to fight for his spot. it is equally likely that the family tragedy happened in England, and he may not want to travel and be away for days at a time...something that is not an issue if he trains and plays for his club. Whether he trains and plays for Sunderland says nothing about his motives, when you consider the plausible scenarios. i jess saying..dais we boy, so i figure I'll give him de benefit of the doubt, as I owuld any of our football heros. but like ah said...anything is possible. hiding behind a family tragedy to stay and figt for your club place is low...bess he jess man up like countless others before him and say he rather stay with his club..or lie and say he have a slight injury. but like I say..until the facts come out, i giving him a bligh and hope he and his family well...

That is de reality of de career he chose hoss.  Is nutting pussonal.  Yuh tink he would hole on fuh long wit Sunderland if he wasn't capable?

He not startin because he currently not good enough and that's plain fuh everybody to see.  What he did 2 years ago is irrelevant in dis business. 

Unfair?  Yes.   Unfortunate?   Definitely.   Cruel even?   Perhaps.

Ah think Filho talking bout the insinuation that he faking a tragedy to stay in Sunderland.

thank you sir.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:31:03 PM by Filho »

1]; } ?>