March 28, 2024, 09:21:38 AM

Author Topic: Ato a hater  (Read 16534 times)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Ato a hater
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
I am ashame of the Ato comment on NBC. He was criticising Usain Bolt mocking the other runner. Be proud of the Carribbean achievements, not hating Mr. ATO
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Ato a hater
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:25:45 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 06:29:24 PM »
OK so I get meh answer I was hopin dat he did tell Bob he talkin nonesense. He eh disrespect nobody if it was a yankee he woulda b showboatin or some other nonesense.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
i wudn't say he was mockin d other runners, i didnt see it dat way, but jus a question, allyuh feel d other athletes wud have been distracted a bit by bolt's showboatin?
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
It is a great feeling for the Caribbean people to achieve medals at the Olympic. One love Caribbean people
-Karl Kraus

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
Warrior Queen 2 answer u in 1 word NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

In 2 words HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did Crwaford wait till he cross d line b4 he raise he hand?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
ok here is the article
allya be the judge

"Bob Costas, Ato Boldon Rip Usain Bolt for 'Disrespectful' 100-Meter Celebration
Posted Aug 18th 2008 8:18PM by Michael David Smith (author feed)
Filed under: Americas

Jamaica's Usain Bolt is one of the stories of the Olympic Games, a stunning sprinter whose world record performance in winning the gold medal in the 100-meter dash won't soon be forgotten.

Unfortunately, the way Bolt finished the 100-meter dash -- by celebrating, yelling and slapping his chest before crossing the finish line -- won't soon be forgotten, either. There is talk that Bolt might have intentionally slowed down in an attempt to keep the world record within reach of him breaking it again, and today on NBC, both Olympics host Bob Costas and track and field commentator (and former Olympic sprinter) Ato Boldon criticized Bolt's actions.

Costas called Bolt's disrespectful to his competitors, to the Olympic Games and to the fans who deserved to see Bolt at his best. And Boldon went even further: "It was a display that should not have been there," Boldon said. "You kids at home, this is not how you behave as an Olympic champion."

Although I love watching Bolt run and think he seems like a fine young man, I have to agree with Costas and Boldon: Bolt didn't finish the race the way he should have. I hope he wins the gold in the 200 meters, and I hope he runs at full speed until his chest hits the tape."
http://olympics.fanhouse.com/2008/08/18/bob-costas-ato-boldon-rip-usain-bolt-for-disrespectful-100-me/
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »
Now I know is crap dey talkin bout he deliberated slow down so he can break it again. He can also break he foot next race so that is ah real pile dat statement.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:07:48 PM »
buh aa ,so jus cause he from the WI ,Ato cant say nothing .If Phelps had stop in the pool and wait for men to ketch up ,then still beat them ,he woulda get heat to .

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »
I guess this wasn't showing off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3m0eKpNX24
-Karl Kraus

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
All Ato said is "You kids at home, this is not how you behave as an Olympic champion." and I agree..and if that means I am a hater too then so be it!.if ATO or any Trini athlete had done this I would say its wrong also..but wait a minute according to ttcom I should not say this i should be preachin caribbean love cause de winner from de caribbean

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
-Karl Kraus

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
-Karl Kraus

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
http://www.toronto-lime.com/music/classics/caribbean_unity.htm

http://www.toronto-lime.com/music/classics/caribbean_connection.htm

:rotfl:  ttcom these songs are nice...but does not substitute for Bolt  disrespect to the runners..Yes he has extreme talent but his inmaturity is obvious

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »
Steups, Ato is anybody to be talking about disrespecting other competitors?

He, he partner Maurice Greene and de ress ah he HSI squad was any examples for de kids to look up to as regards on track behavior?

Look doh make meh join up with Sam and go over to de dark side eh!  :devil:

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:49 PM »

:rotfl:  ttcom these songs are nice...but does not substitute for Bolt  disrespect to the runners..Yes he has extreme talent but his inmaturity is obvious

You are right. :) He is young.
-Karl Kraus

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

You are right. :) He is young.

:devil: ah does wonder whey allyuh fellas does come from oui

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:33:21 PM »
Dey just lookin 4 someting 2 dismiss d yute boi when u win d 200 do it again

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »
All Ato said is "You kids at home, this is not how you behave as an Olympic champion." and I agree..and if that means I am a hater too then so be it!.if ATO or any Trini athlete had done this I would say its wrong also..but wait a minute according to ttcom I should not say this i should be preachin caribbean love cause de winner from de caribbean

There is a very simple way to look at this. If you go to the National Primary School Games (which I'm heavily involved with BTW) and a 12 year old child did what Bolt did...his teachers would run out on the track with strap in hand and WASH his arse!
So I don't see how it becomes acceptable for an adult to do it in the Olympic Games.

Is it the worst thing in the world? NO. Does it make Usain an arrogant punk? NO. Is it exemplary behavior? HELL NO

Furthermore Ato should not be taking heat for comments that Bob Costas made. IMHO Bob deliberately tried to put Ato on the spot to see if he was ready to be handed the keys to the NBC kingdom and he handled it beautifully!

Ato acknowledged that at the time the performance was so spectacular that he overlooked it and even pointed out that knowing Usain he did not believe he was trying to show up the opposition. However he said on reflection he has no problem with celebrating once it is done after you cross the line....but showing off like that before is overdoing it.

I think Costas went a bit overboard in that he tried to judge Bolt as a person based on his behavior during the most exciting moment of his young life.
However Costas has been VERY consistent with this line of thinking over the years.
He led NBC's crucifixion of James Carter (400m hurdler who looked back and gestured to the field) and the US 4x100m team in Sydney. In fact it was because of that outlash why Mo Greene was never fully embraced by the US public and didn't get as much endorsements as Marion Jones.
I was even quite surprised to hear Lewis Johnson disagree with Ato and Costas because in the Athens 100m semifinal when Crawford and Gatlin slapped hands before crossing the line, Lewis Johnson said "they embarrassed themselves and their country with that kind of behavior"

I don't mean to be too harsh because not everyone follows track like I do but I think some of us are still a bit too drunk off of the Caribbean's success at these Games and/or a bit too sensitive to the North American Media point of view.
If you disagree with Costas and Ato then fine but don't make it into a "is because dey jealous we" or "Ato sellout". Ato journey now start but Costas has been very consistent if nothing else as far as his point of view

Bear in mind that Carl Lewis...the most accomplished American Track athlete of all time...was ostracized in his own nation for stuff like this (among other things ;D ).
In 1983 Carl was on his way to breaking the then WR of 19.72 in the 200m but started acting "Usain" and ran 19.75. He never matched that time the rest of his life. The US Media ripped him for it.
In the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Carl won the Long Jump easily and instead of trying to break Bob Beamon's WR decided to save himself for the 200m and 4x100m to match Jesse Owens. He was BOOED by his own people and thrashed by the US media for not giving his best effort. He even lost endorsements from Nike and Coca Cola through this kind of behavior. Carl was NEVER embraced by the US public during his career and it was because of stunts like this.
If the US Media chastises their own Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson for their touchdown celebrations, as well as the other American athletes I mentioned, why do you think they would laugh off Bolt's display?
Hell...even the Canadian media dismissed Donovan Bailey  as a "sore winner" after his behavior and comments following the 150m race in Toronto that Michael Johnson pulled up in.

Let us all please stop being so sensitive about what others say about us as a poeple because I am sure had it been Tyson Gay who did what Bolt did EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU would have a problem with it...and I guarantee you, precedence show that the US media would have had a problem with it too. That is a fact!

I for one would be TOTALLY disappointed with Ato if he compromised his intelligence and objectivity only because a Caribbean athlete is involved. Ato is moving up in his new career and he should not jeopardize that just to satisfy a few thin-skinned people who are still tribal and insecure in their thinking despite their great accomplishments

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:08:23 PM by fLaSh »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
Proud of the job Ato doing. But he disappointed me cosigning that bullshit.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »
To Sando Priince and fLaSh:
You are exactly correct!  Ato handled himself with class, gave the appropriate answer and made sure that he didn't trash Usain Bolt.  When Ato and Greene celebrated, Greene was trashed by the media.  It is not Bolt bashing or Jamaica bashing or Caribbean-man bashing.  It is what the media normally does and we need not overeact.  When our athletes are on the International stage we must demonstrate international standards of behaviour.  Bolt just have to go in the 200 and trash the WR again.  Yuh go see how much millions in endorsements he go make.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
thats a good informative post Flash but you know what I have to laugh at.

Not one of you voiced displeasure with or objection to Bolt's celebrations until it came up in this article.

so if it was so blatantly unacceptable, where was the outcry all the long? how all of a sudden now man jumping on that train and saying yes, Bolt shouldn't have done what he did?

As for the post race as opposed to pre race argument, there's no significant difference in my opinion.

I'd take Bolt and the chest thump over any of HSI with Greene and yes Ato self with they testosterone driven lil boy pre and post race antics any day of the week.

At least Bolt does handle himself like ah big man.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 10:32:22 PM »

Not one of you voiced displeasure with or objection to Bolt's celebrations until it came up in this article.
so if it was so blatantly unacceptable, where was the outcry all the long? how all of a sudden now man jumping on that train and saying yes, Bolt shouldn't have done what he did?

As for the post race as opposed to pre race argument, there's no significant difference in my opinion.

I'd take Bolt and the chest thump over any of HSI with Greene and yes Ato self with they testosterone driven lil boy pre and post race antics any day of the week.

Omar the only reason I did not say anything bout Bolt celebrations cause I know some ppl in here will just say am a hater (like what they saying bout Ato)..sure alot of people was thinking what ATO saying when dem see the race

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 10:41:38 PM »

Omar the reasoon we taliking bout it is because we discussing the media.  We still not trashing Bolt.  There was no reason to publicly comment but reserve our private opinions.  Is not a big deal.  The media is waht highlight the matter.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
You know the more I think about it, the less I see what Bolt did that was so bad.

He won a race that he was not expected to win before middle of this year, in fact the race was not even in his plan until he BEGGED his coach to let him try it.

It is the Olympics, he did it with ridiculous ease and he is very young....youthful exuberance no doubt.

If he crushes Michael Johnson's 200m record...dat will be a damn celebration to behold.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »
The American Media quick to get on a soapbox, smugly throwing manufactured outrage at something or other. I knew they needed a way to discredit the brother before he steal some shine from they golden boy Phelps. They trying to craft a good ol' story for the bland Midwestern soccer moms. Michael, Merica and apple pie. Then here comes this cocky, aggressive outsider with swagger. Ruining the party. Rattling their sensibilities. They unsettled by it.

And if yuh don't think perceptions of race play a part in this yuh either sleeping or unaware of how the media out here does operate.

I'll just assume Ato trying to secure he wuk. If so, I doh blame him. Pay yuh dues while yuh still at de bottom rung. I only disappointed if he truly buy into that nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:02:38 PM by Dry So »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 11:03:52 PM »
I'll try to be brief.

Watching the replays after the 100 while still in the booth (off air), I said to my colleagues that is GREAT TV but it's awful sportsmanship.  No one prompted me to say anything. Ever. Those who know me know that is not me.

It is my opinion, others may disagree - and that's fine.

This whole "I am the enemy of the Jamaicans now" is a joke. So what, I walk to the Bird's Nest everyday with my Jamaican mother, then go on the air with a mission to dis Jamaica and praise the Yanks? How often before this week you think Trelawny, Jamaica has been "bigged up" on NBC by anyone? What channel are people watching??

Are some of these people watching the same broadcast??? Who else for the past 3 months has spoken more highly of Bolt? Who since the race has praised him more.  Oh, that's right, my opinion is only cool if it falls in line with what some individual thinks....NBC hired me because of my opinions. Not because everyone would agree with them.

As regards HSI - I was very vocal against James Carter in the 400h rounds (you know the incident) and the USA 4x100 (3/4 HSI) and I have no complaints with anything he does before or after (and he is GREAT at that) but not during. I don't expect everyone to get that but track athletes know - you respect the event. Always.  After, you are free to do whatever within taste limits...

No one who has written me (again a small minority, less than 20 emails, as opposed to the hundreds of very positive Jamaican emails since the games started to call me everything from a house "u know what" to a traitor, can point to anything I did on a track resembling that during a race, anywhere at anytime in my career.

Yesterday when Wallace Spearmon did a "brush my shoulder off" move in his 200m round, I asked that it not make air...it didn't. Where is Wallace from?

I am a big boy and I realize this is the big leagues now. I can take it.

No one who has listened to me go on and on about Bolt's greatness can possibly say now that I suddenly begrduge the young man his win, his success or his glory. That doesn't mean that he is somehow above reproach. I said it because I believed it TO BE SO. Disagree if you do, and then put a full stop after it - but turning it into a conspiracy theory is lunacy.

There are lots of people who are writing me to say they thought it was a bit much, let the 21 year old celebrate as he feels fit. I don't think one opinion is wrong and the other right. People see things from their own perspective.

Stop the Caribbean insecurity. It's 2008.  No one is out to "get" anyone, and certainly not me.  

Trinis vex I ent big up RT enough, Jamaicans vex because I dissing King Bolt - after spending months praising just about everything he has done - and will do.

Welcome to my life.....

Take the good:

Hello, again!

It was a very good interview, just wish it were longer.  Your commentary regarding Usain Bolt was very much on target.  Thank God for having someone as talented as yourself representing the Caribbean.  I look forward to hearing and seeing more of you on NBC.

Be safe while in Beijing.  Hope you have a pleasant trip home upon the conclusion of the Games.

With the bad:

Your comments about Usain Bolt were distasteful.  Please learn to raise above Mr. Costas comments and be a professional.....nuff respect youth.

P.S. I do think 19.32 is gone, and will say so!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 11:17:37 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 11:25:55 PM »
Ato and Flash: Well said!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:32 AM »

You can stop laughing at the fact that I raised no objection before the article because I said in my post that what Bolt did is not the worst thing in the world. It isn't!
Usain Bolt is the most incredible athlete I have seen in person...period!  I saw the man live in person at Hampton Games this year and when I saw his acceleration the first image that rushed to my mind was a BWEE plane taking off. That 9.92 he jogged in the Beijing QF is eaxctly what he did in Trinidad.
This chesthumping incident does not make me any less off a Usain Bolt fan simply because I know the kind of person he is. I ran unto the infield and waited till he finish his cool down and got my autograph and the next time he comes to Trinidad come hell or high water I'm getting a picture with him this time!

Having said that I can laugh at his antics and then say I wouldn't want to see any of the kids in my club or school district doing that. Beating your chest is entertaining...it is not exemplary. I haven't lost sleep over Usain's behavior but I'm not gonna sit here and say it is behavior worth emulating and I sure as hell am not gonna sit and say Ato should defend it because his mother is from Clarendon.

All of you who sooo offended by Ato's criticism of Bolt would cringe if you went to Primary School Championships and Secondary School Championships and every school boy celebrated in that manner. THAT is what this debate about Bolt's display is all about. Kids emulate these guys and you know it. Perhaps many of you don't even attend those championships but if you do I am certain you would see any such behavior admonished by the teachers and coaches involved. As someone involved in BOTH events I have to disagree with the indifference with Bolt's behavior simply because I can't preach one thing to children and not have a problem with their hero, Usain, practicing another

If you think Bolt is more "manly" than HSI that's your perogative.
Ask yourself this question though...which is more likely to make an IOC commercial promoting the Olympic Spirit in four years to promote the London Games?
Mo, Ato and Obadele praying after the Sydney 100m or Usain looking around and beating his chest as he crosses the line?
I know which image I'd pick and I think Jacques Rogge does too.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 02:08:01 AM »
Yow Ato , you have time to satisfy these  fellas who looking for attention! stuueepppsss, bredder yuh have ah job to do and yuh doing it well.

these dick heads can't pay yuh, so fack away with them! i suggest that yuh concentrate on yuh bread and butter and tuh hell wid john public.

you are ah legend in my book, so keep on keeping on. Good luck fardder with yuh new career. these punks just looking for rank so they could say they dis Ato bolden.                            positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>