March 28, 2024, 02:46:18 AM

Author Topic: 'Tiger' Roars.  (Read 5086 times)

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Tiger' Roars.
« on: August 20, 2008, 04:55:28 AM »
'Tiger' Roars.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

Former national footballer Alvin Corneal had expressed in the Arena issue of July 6, the idea that the TTFF must not depend on the T&T women players who are resident in the USA to improve the level of the sport but must look locally for players. He was disappointed that 13 girls from the USA represented T&T in the recently concluded Concacaf Under-17 World Cup qualifying tournament. Today, T&T Football Federation (TTFF), technical director Lincoln Phillips gives a response to Corneal where he totally disagrees with his thoughts.

Alvin Corneal’s latest failed attempt at objective analysis appears to indicate, once again, that he is of the opinion that any endeavour in which he is not a main or significant contributor is unworthy. However this time, Alvin took the route of xenophobia in an attempt to undermine a project in which he is not the focal point. As one of the few witnesses to the inside workings of the T&TFF, Alvin should know better than to impishly raise the tired controversy of “foreign versus local” when addressing the U17 women’s program. In fact, he should be ashamed of himself for donning the robes of a demagogue.

The whole idea of hiring foreign coaches for the Women’s program did not occur in a vacuum. The entire women’s staff met with officials of the T&TFF, including Jack Warner (Special Advisor), Keith Look Loy (Technical Advisor) and myself.

After a lengthy discussion regarding the future direction of the woman’s program, it was agreed by everyone present that the U17 program would improve only under the guidance of coaching assistance from abroad. It should be noted that Jamaal Shabazz was in full support of bringing in coaches from abroad. Head Coach, Marlon Charles has also been a staunch supporter and beneficiary of the new direction and the commitment to bring resources to a women’s program that has endured despite being overlooked for many years.

As a result, two top Head Coaches from the United States collegiate coaching ranks were retained to prepare the U17 team for the recent U17 Women’s World Cup qualification tournament. These two coaches, Randy Waldrum, University of Notre Dame and Butch Lauffer, West Texas A&M University, performed their tasks admirably and with the utmost level of professionalism. Alvin’s attempt at sarcasm when alluding to the U.S. coaches’ “magic wand” was neither clever nor insightful but rather illustrated the insecurity of an individual who earned an unimpressive 49-34-7 (W-D-T) record while coaching at North Carolina State University. He is clearly not in the position to critique coaches who have actually won championships.

Aside from the unwarranted broadside of the coaching staff, Alvin’s assessment of the “American Trinis” was lacking in both substance and logic. While Alvin accurately recognized the technical and athletic deficiencies of many of our local female athletes, he seemed to advocate choosing a team based upon a player’s address rather than their ability. Such a strategy would be considered coaching negligence at best and at worst, discriminatory. It is well known that citizenship requirements determine whether or not a player is eligible to participate on a national football team. The players, known by some as “passport players”, that Alvin seems to take issue with are eligible to represent T&T. At the CONCACAF tournament like any other competitive endeavor, you play to win the game. This is the reality of international competition. Once we get past artificial controversies created by those who have their own agendas, the objective of any competitive program is to put together a team that has the best chance to win within the rules of the competition.

Are these “passport players” the future of women’s football in Trinidad and Tobago? I cannot say. In fact, the answer will be largely up to the local players themselves and their ability to answer the challenge of the new standard that has been established. Currently 9 of the 18 players on the present U17 team received their passports just prior to the recent tournament. As Technical Director, I would like to reduce dependence on international-based nationals in the shortest possible time. Not because of any misguided belief in what is “foreign” or “local” but because our national team players would be more accessible to both our coaches and supporters. For this to happen, support must be given to create and strengthen primary school and club football leagues and camps for girls in the U8 through U14 levels. Currently the T&TFF is negotiating with stakeholders to help facilitate bold initiatives in the development of the women’s game. Indeed, developing players domestically will be less costly than recruiting players with T&T parentage. We should, however, continue to provide opportunities for our nationals living abroad to maintain and strengthen the ties with their native land. However, we cannot lose sight of the fact that when the time to compete comes, we must select the players who are best prepared and able to win.

Even though our attempt to qualify for the U17 Women’s World Cup fell short by goal difference, our planning and approach has yielded increased visibility and attention to the women’s game in T&T. Costa Rica, who beat our women out for the third and final qualification spot by goal differential, beat our team 6-0 several months before the qualification tournament when we used all local players. We tied them 0-0 in the tournament.

Two months before our training camp in the U.S, we lost to the T&T U20 team 6-0 with all local players. Upon our return with the new “Passport Players”, we tied the same U20 team 0-0 twice. Costa Rica and Mexico understand the realities of competition and Alvin should take note that over percent of the Costa Rica and Mexico teams were made up of “passport players” from the U.S.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:49:30 AM by Flex »
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tiger' Roars
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »
Would that be a OR a
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »
The Tiger real roar- . I love it- Maybe this is the latest off the field baccanal  that Fazeer alluded to re - the national Team.
 Like Carnival starts early .

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:04:42 AM »
I going and send one of these to Alvin oui
ole age is ah bitch :devil:

I am of the opinion that if the local league was good enough to cater to the players who now play outside that this problem would be nonexistent
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:09:09 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »
I'm with Lincoln on this,sometimes is not what's right or wrong but what works and what will not and also the common sense thing to do,i too am an advocate for our local players but if we don't change our mentality and move with the times our programs will not improve,the important thing is to have our best players represent T&T and if that's where they are or how we have to get them it should not be a problem,all this does is widen our selection base,all those countries are bigger than us and have a wider selection to choose from.

I try to refrain from critiquing our national teams because i understand the disadvantages and problems our players face in this world of professionalism,what i observe most times are how easy it is to identify the problems we have in our Football but no one can give you the answers or how to solve these problems,i think that's the nature of this sport you are never sure of anything,it's the reason for so many if's and but's and peeps blood pressure going up when they don't get the required results they wanted.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 06:40:14 AM »
I support Lincoln all the way on this one.  In a nutshell, Alvin Corneal is a biased individual.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »

Today, former T&T Football Federation (TTFF), technical director Lincoln Phillips gives a response to Corneal where he totally disagrees with his thoughts.

Say it isn't so ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:07:34 AM »
Would that be a OR a

i would say that look like the umpire need to call for.....

cause de ball loss...

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:17:12 AM »

Good one Tiger .... it's time for Alvin to just "shut up"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 07:17:21 AM »

Today, former T&T Football Federation (TTFF), technical director Lincoln Phillips gives a response to Corneal where he totally disagrees with his thoughts.

Say it isn't so ;D

yes doc same thing stood out when i read it.........
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 'Tiger' Roars.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
Actually Lincoln is the current TD for the TTFF. The Guardian made a typo... whats' new.....
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »
'Tiger' Roars.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

Former national footballer Alvin Corneal had expressed in the Arena issue of July 6, the idea that the TTFF must not depend on the T&T women players who are resident in the USA to improve the level of the sport but must look locally for players. He was disappointed that 13 girls from the USA represented T&T in the recently concluded Concacaf Under-17 World Cup qualifying tournament. Today, T&T Football Federation (TTFF), technical director Lincoln Phillips gives a response to Corneal where he totally disagrees with his thoughts.

Alvin Corneal’s latest failed attempt at objective analysis appears to indicate, once again, that he is of the opinion that any endeavour in which he is not a main or significant contributor is unworthy. However this time, Alvin took the route of xenophobia in an attempt to undermine a project in which he is not the focal point. As one of the few witnesses to the inside workings of the T&TFF, Alvin should know better than to impishly raise the tired controversy of “foreign versus local” when addressing the U17 women’s program. In fact, he should be ashamed of himself for donning the robes of a demagogue.

The whole idea of hiring foreign coaches for the Women’s program did not occur in a vacuum. The entire women’s staff met with officials of the T&TFF, including Jack Warner (Special Advisor), Keith Look Loy (Technical Advisor) and myself.

After a lengthy discussion regarding the future direction of the woman’s program, it was agreed by everyone present that the U17 program would improve only under the guidance of coaching assistance from abroad. It should be noted that Jamaal Shabazz was in full support of bringing in coaches from abroad. Head Coach, Marlon Charles has also been a staunch supporter and beneficiary of the new direction and the commitment to bring resources to a women’s program that has endured despite being overlooked for many years.

As a result, two top Head Coaches from the United States collegiate coaching ranks were retained to prepare the U17 team for the recent U17 Women’s World Cup qualification tournament. These two coaches, Randy Waldrum, University of Notre Dame and Butch Lauffer, West Texas A&M University, performed their tasks admirably and with the utmost level of professionalism. Alvin’s attempt at sarcasm when alluding to the U.S. coaches’ “magic wand” was neither clever nor insightful but rather illustrated the insecurity of an individual who earned an unimpressive 49-34-7 (W-D-T) record while coaching at North Carolina State University. He is clearly not in the position to critique coaches who have actually won championships.

Aside from the unwarranted broadside of the coaching staff, Alvin’s assessment of the “American Trinis” was lacking in both substance and logic. While Alvin accurately recognized the technical and athletic deficiencies of many of our local female athletes, he seemed to advocate choosing a team based upon a player’s address rather than their ability. Such a strategy would be considered coaching negligence at best and at worst, discriminatory. It is well known that citizenship requirements determine whether or not a player is eligible to participate on a national football team. The players, known by some as “passport players”, that Alvin seems to take issue with are eligible to represent T&T. At the CONCACAF tournament like any other competitive endeavor, you play to win the game. This is the reality of international competition. Once we get past artificial controversies created by those who have their own agendas, the objective of any competitive program is to put together a team that has the best chance to win within the rules of the competition.

Are these “passport players” the future of women’s football in Trinidad and Tobago? I cannot say. In fact, the answer will be largely up to the local players themselves and their ability to answer the challenge of the new standard that has been established. Currently 9 of the 18 players on the present U17 team received their passports just prior to the recent tournament. As Technical Director, I would like to reduce dependence on international-based nationals in the shortest possible time. Not because of any misguided belief in what is “foreign” or “local” but because our national team players would be more accessible to both our coaches and supporters. For this to happen, support must be given to create and strengthen primary school and club football leagues and camps for girls in the U8 through U14 levels. Currently the T&TFF is negotiating with stakeholders to help facilitate bold initiatives in the development of the women’s game. Indeed, developing players domestically will be less costly than recruiting players with T&T parentage. We should, however, continue to provide opportunities for our nationals living abroad to maintain and strengthen the ties with their native land. However, we cannot lose sight of the fact that when the time to compete comes, we must select the players who are best prepared and able to win.

Even though our attempt to qualify for the U17 Women’s World Cup fell short by goal difference, our planning and approach has yielded increased visibility and attention to the women’s game in T&T. Costa Rica, who beat our women out for the third and final qualification spot by goal differential, beat our team 6-0 several months before the qualification tournament when we used all local players. We tied them 0-0 in the tournament.

Two months before our training camp in the U.S, we lost to the T&T U20 team 6-0 with all local players. Upon our return with the new “Passport Players”, we tied the same U20 team 0-0 twice. Costa Rica and Mexico understand the realities of competition and Alvin should take note that over percent of the Costa Rica and Mexico teams were made up of “passport players” from the U.S.

Pre-#%*ing-cisely!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 02:36:10 PM »
i am definitely backing lincoln on this as well!! dem corneals is ah bunch ah goat yes!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 05:47:19 PM »
Give them good Lincoln. Alvin Corneal is a two face clown.

Good read and I am happy to finally see our TD stamping his authority.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
While Mr Phillps' reply is a strong one, I think he misses a key component in the issue.  Has Trinidad and Tobago ever made a sustained well financed attempt to develop our local talent ?

I have no problems with North American athletes trying out for our teams, I have no issue with foreign coaches being brought intoto improve the system.  What I have a problem with is the absence of  a concerted attempt to develop permanent systems and structures that give our local coaches and players the tools they need to excel.

If as a 13  year old a local player is not introduced to proper  strength and conditioning methods, and given a sound physical foundation. How do we expect them to compete with the worlds best as a 17 year old?

There is a lot to learn from Jamaica's example in athletics, coach Francis of the  MVP track club that has won so many medals in Beijing; is on record as saying he decided to establish a local base when American track coaches claimed Caribbean coaches could not develop world champions and suggested our athletes had to go abroad to fulfill potential .

Anil Roberts developed the worlds first female black Olympic finalist Leah Martindale of Barbados by putting together a world class training camp in Trinidad and Tobago using his house as a base.

What we have infact done is try to fast track the process, I do understand the reasoning behind it, but to say our local girls must rise to that level is folly and shows a lack of understanding of systems and poor analysis of our situation.  What we are doing is using these Foreign Based girls as a plaster for our inaction.

It hurts me because most of our local girls who would have given there all, have not had that reciprocated by the management.  I do feel they deserve to reap the benefits of playing for Trinidad and Tobago more than some one who has visited these shores once or twice.  I also believe when our local bred stand for the anthem; representing our country will have significance.

The welfare of our youth is more important than winning any tournament
we must do all in our power to develop them, they are our future.  Mr Phillips has to remember he is the Technical Director his job is to put proper systems in place not just find plasters . Plasters only hide wounds.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:41:20 AM by fatman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
Did Leah Martindale win an olympic medal? I am not sure about.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 11:33:02 PM »
now lincold done with that.  Take on the national team now.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
Fatman. I think you may have missed some points.

While Mr Phillps' reply is a strong one, I think he misses a key component in the issue.  Has Trinidad and Tobago ever made a sustained well financed attempt to develop our local talent ?

Those who are knowledgeable about football in T&T, specifically women's football would agree that the women's game has not received the level of attention the men's game has received. However, since Lincoln returned to T&T the women's program has received more funding and support. There is also a woman by the name of Dr. Iva Gloudon who has single handedly established a beachhead for women's sports at UWI. So to answer your question; yes there have been attempts to develop local player and coaching talent. From what I hear, the under 17 tournament created a lot of buzz and encouragement to do even more. However, much more could be done but until the TTFF and Gov't take politics out of football, Lincoln, Moses, or Jesus himself will have a challenge developing the local game.

I have no problems with North American athletes trying out for our teams, I have no issue with foreign coaches being brought intoto improve the system.  What I have a problem with is the absence of  a concerted attempt to develop permanent systems and structures that give our local coaches and players the tools they need to excel.

This is being done. Development is not flashy nor does it gain a lot of attention, but coaching workshops and courses as well as player camps and clinics are being offered. But the concerted attempt you demand requires cooperation so I think your concern should be directed towards Jack Warner and Gary Hunt.

If as a 13  year old a local player is not introduced to proper  strength and conditioning methods, and given a sound physical foundation. How do we expect them to compete with the worlds best as a 17 year old?

Agree, and I think Lincoln mentioned in his article the way to raise the level of the local athletes is to offer more league and training opportunities for girls as young as 8. But remember, he can only make recommendations. I don't think his office has a budget

There is a lot to learn from Jamaica's example in athletics, coach Francis of the  MVP track club that has won so many medals in Beijing; is on record as saying he decided to establish a local base when American track coaches claimed Caribbean coaches could not develop world champions and suggested our athletes had to go abroad to fulfill potential .

Anil Roberts developed the worlds first female black Olympic medalist Leah Martindale of Barbados by putting together a world class training camp in Trinidad and Tobago using his house as a base.

What we have infact done is try to fast track the process, I do understand the reasoning behind it, but to say our local girls must rise to that level is folly and shows a lack of understanding of systems and poor analysis of our situation.  What we are doing is using these Foreign Based girls as a plaster for our inaction.

Your comparisons are all individual sports. This is not a good analysis. Very different needs exist when developing team sports programs. What football country have you seen develop it's program from backwater to international power within five years? I think Lincoln's challenge to the local athletes is grounded in reality rather than the folly you say. I believe only 7 countries have raised the World Cup trophy in the history of the competition. Football development takes time. The one country that has developed an impressive program over a short period of time is the U.S. Between 1990 to 2004, they were the only country in the world to qualify all of their national teams for FIFA tournaments.

It hurts me because most of our local girls who would have given there all, have not had that reciprocated by the management.  I do feel they deserve to reap the benefits of playing for Trinidad and Tobago more than some one who has visited these shores once or twice.  I also believe when our local bred stand for the anthem; representing our country will have significance.

Yes, but why must it be one or the other. Plus the youth have to be made to understand the importance of competition and rising to the increased level of competition that will be a daily part of their lives. Football is not an infant industry in T&T. What good is it for us to field a team that will be defeated by double digits. That would be more traumatic, wouldn't it?

we must do all in our power to develop them, they are our future.  Mr Phillips has to remember he is the Technical Director his job is to put proper systems in place not just find plasters . Plasters only hide wounds.

The truth is that it is not solely Lincoln's job to put in place these systems. The reality is that Jack Warner is the Coach, Technical Director, and CEO of the TTFF. Lincoln has made his presence felt in areas outside the TTFF such as the SSFL. He was behind the Ministry of Education rule that will require SSFL coaches must possess a coaching license. Plus, it is not a coincidence that since Lincoln arrived 4 years ago, the national teams have qualified for two world cups and there is a more coherent, but still needy, national teams program on both the men's and women's side. Corneal has been there a long time with no results and Jack has been there a long time with no results. I think the tone of Lincolns article and the spot on criticism of Alvin Corneal has something to do with the nonsense he has had to deal with every time his programs are undermined by "experts" like Alvin who unfortunately has Jack's ear.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:50:17 PM by tempo »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
I eagerly await Alvin's response....

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 02:24:57 AM »

My recollection is that she's not an Olympic medallist.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 05:56:06 AM »
I now going to read this.  Ah read the opening 2 lines and ah baaawwlll ooohhh guuuuudd....Lincoln vex boy...

Right now to read the rest.... ;D

Edit:  So ah finish and he eh vex nah.....he

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :bs: :bs: :cursing: :bringiton: :bringiton: :duel: :duel: :flamethrower: :flamethrower: :busshead: :busshead: :busshead: :cursing: :cursing: :bs:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:12:20 AM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 06:11:12 AM »

My recollection is that she's not an Olympic medallist.

My apologies she was the first black female finalist.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 06:46:17 AM »
 Tempo
You do appear to have an acceptable knowledge of this area and I welcome your critique. I however have been involved in several of the projects you mention and you are very much over stating what is being done for womens football at the university and by the federation to put structures and systems in place in womens football.  Dr Gloudon has been  tremendous at developing academic programmes, she however does not have the resources at the university to make any major input in women's sport .

Comparisons can be made between team and individual sports !
 I will agree that it is easier to put a system in place for individuals, however  the Ivory Coast mens football program , Angola's basketball team and Kenya's rugby sevens squad  all demonstrate what can be done to build structures and gain success in team sports, in a relatively short space of time.

I am not a supporter of  Mr Corneal nor a detractor of Mr Phillips, but I am actively involved in the field of sport, and make my comments based on what I see.

Lincoln as technical director is accountable for all attempts to remedy these problems, that comes with his post; in the same way Maturana as head coach was responsible for all performances during his tenure black list or no black list. 

I agree Jack warner and Gary Hunte are the ones who must be heaped over hot coals, but I was responding to Mr phillips' article and the point he himself made.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
fatman, tempo...nice points each.

question for fatman: why one and not both? yes, we need to develop the right infrastructure and systems from grassroots. but we must also allow anyone with a T&T passport to stake their claim to represent us. it's good for our local girls to see there may be bigger stronger better players out there, ready to eat their food. it should serve as inspiration and determination to improve. it should remove all complacency and be a reminder that the bubble is much larger than our twin isle. and they will learn about training techniques, nutrition, work ethic and improve as they train and befriend their foreign based counterparts. just like our local men can gain alot when they get to train with the likes of Yorke and Latapy...it' all an important part of their development. As long as the actual selection process is not unbiased and being foreign based is not an automatic tciket for making a team, then including the foreign based should prove complementary to the other types of player development you mention.

edit: I meant...unbiased...NOT...not unbiased  :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:29:23 AM by Filho »

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
fatman, tempo...nice points each.

question for fatman: why one and not both? yes, we need to develop the right infrastructure and systems from grassroots. but we must also allow anyone with a T&T passport to stake their claim to represent us. it's good for our local girls to see there may be bigger stronger better players out there, ready to eat their food. it should serve as inspiration and determination to improve. it should remove all complacency and be a reminder that the bubble is much larger than our twin isle. and they will learn about training techniques, nutrition, work ethic and improve as they train and befriend their foreign based counterparts. just like our local men can gain alot when they get to train with the likes of Yorke and Latapy...it' all an important part of their development. As long as the actual selection process is not unbiased and being foreign based is not an automatic tciket for making a team, then including the foreign based should prove complementary to the other types of player development you mention.

Fiho I agree with many of the sentiments expressed by both yourself and tempo. This however is not  a simple matter,as many make it out to be. 

I do not believe bringing 12 players into a team (many of who have never stepped foot on our island)one month before a tournament and simply dropping over 16 players who had trained for over 2 years is the answer.

This can also easily result in player disenchantment, I do not think this thing was done with much thought. I also wonder why the financing to make this move was not available three years ago whaen the development of our players was paramount.

I respect your opinion which has some merit, but something just does not seem right to me, I feel our priorities have been gotten all wrong and actually think it is we(coaches, teachers, administrators) who have failed our young girls.

I actually believe home grown girls have more right to the bounty of our country than some one who has never stepped foot on our shores.  We owe it to them to do all in our power to develop their abilities.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 06:58:15 PM »
Fatman, Three years ago, most of the resources were being spent on the senior men's team. I would argue it was a good investment.

No one disagrees that more programs for local girl players are needed. Leagues, camps, and tournaments for girls and women are a must. But, these things must be planned and implemented with serious financial and administrative support. Also, I think you can take the approach of recruiting eligible players AND develop your local players at the same time. While I understand your compassion to the local players that were given the opportunity to make the team but did not earn their spot, I don't think any coach in his right mind would pick a player for anything beyond their temperament and talent; regardless of the length of time they have been training. The opposition certainly wouldn't have as much compassion once the whistle blows. I do understand your advocacy for the local girls though but they must rise to the challenge.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »
OH BWOYYYYYYYY ALL DAT WHEN I WAS AWAY. Now LP deal wit d selection of d senior team and join d bitter crew
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 07:03:18 AM »
Fatman. I think you may have missed some points.

Those who are knowledgeable about football in T&T, specifically women's football would agree that the women's game has not received the level of attention the men's game has received. However, since Lincoln returned to T&T the women's program has received more funding and support. There is also a woman by the name of Dr. Iva Gloudon who has single handedly established a beachhead for women's sports at UWI. So to answer your question; yes there have been attempts to develop local player and coaching talent. From what I hear, the under 17 tournament created a lot of buzz and encouragement to do even more. However, much more could be done but until the TTFF and Gov't take politics out of football, Lincoln, Moses, or Jesus himself will have a challenge developing the local game.

This is being done. Development is not flashy nor does it gain a lot of attention, but coaching workshops and courses as well as player camps and clinics are being offered. But the concerted attempt you demand requires cooperation so I think your concern should be directed towards Jack Warner and Gary Hunt.

Agree, and I think Lincoln mentioned in his article the way to raise the level of the local athletes is to offer more league and training opportunities for girls as young as 8. But remember, he can only make recommendations. I don't think his office has a budget

Anil Roberts developed the worlds first female black Olympic medalist Leah Martindale of Barbados by putting together a world class training camp in Trinidad and Tobago using his house as a base.

Your comparisons are all individual sports. This is not a good analysis. Very different needs exist when developing team sports programs. What football country have you seen develop it's program from backwater to international power within five years? I think Lincoln's challenge to the local athletes is grounded in reality rather than the folly you say. I believe only 7 countries have raised the World Cup trophy in the history of the competition. Football development takes time. The one country that has developed an impressive program over a short period of time is the U.S. Between 1990 to 2004, they were the only country in the world to qualify all of their national teams for FIFA tournaments.

Yes, but why must it be one or the other. Plus the youth have to be made to understand the importance of competition and rising to the increased level of competition that will be a daily part of their lives. Football is not an infant industry in T&T. What good is it for us to field a team that will be defeated by double digits. That would be more traumatic, wouldn't it?

The truth is that it is not solely Lincoln's job to put in place these systems. The reality is that Jack Warner is the Coach, Technical Director, and CEO of the TTFF. Lincoln has made his presence felt in areas outside the TTFF such as the SSFL. He was behind the Ministry of Education rule that will require SSFL coaches must possess a coaching license. Plus, it is not a coincidence that since Lincoln arrived 4 years ago, the national teams have qualified for two world cups and there is a more coherent, but still needy, national teams program on both the men's and women's side. Corneal has been there a long time with no results and Jack has been there a long time with no results. I think the tone of Lincolns article and the spot on criticism of Alvin Corneal has something to do with the nonsense he has had to deal with every time his programs are undermined by "experts" like Alvin who unfortunately has Jack's ear.

At the younger age level we have to view the development of players as an individual sport. This is where I believe we falter. As I stated in another thread we try to make players play the game to early. The focus of youth (< U-14) development should be placed on the individual and not the team. By developing the individual properly it would make teaching the tactical aspects of the game to the player much easier. A player who does not have to worry about"if he/she can receive a ball properly or complete a pass" will show much more accomplished understanding of team concepts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »
dey all have to go...Revoloution coming
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>