April 24, 2024, 04:20:59 AM

Author Topic: Phelps or Bolt...you decide  (Read 7269 times)

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
Re: Phelps or Bolt...you decide
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »
I'll belittle Phelps by saying this:

No one gives a damn about swimming. Track & Field is the main event at every olympics. Has been and will always be. This whole new swimming interest is being fueled by NBC. Their trying to force swimming down people's throats because they getting destroyed in track & field.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Pur_Trini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:48 AM »

No one gives a damn about swimming. Track & Field is the main event at every olympics. Has been and will always be. This whole new swimming interest is being fueled by NBC. Their trying to force swimming down people's throats because they getting destroyed in track & field.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
.........and may God bless our Nation.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »

He actually has a point. If the US was doing well in track, even getting maybe one gold and the rest in bronze. The US media would glorify that 1 gold medal as if it was better dan Phelps and his 8. Simple reason, Track and Field is the Olympics... Have you been hearing about Phelps and his 8 gold medals lately ??? Everything has it's time.

I always wondered why they left Track and Field as the last competition in all Olympics.  Could be that the WORLD takes part in Track and Field as compared to Swimming ???

Juss my opinion folks.  Doh come beating ya chest in meh face please and thanks :beermug:

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 10:07:28 AM »

He actually has a point. If the US was doing well in track, even getting maybe one gold and the rest in bronze. The US media would glorify that 1 gold medal as if it was better dan Phelps and his 8. Simple reason, Track and Field is the Olympics... Have you been hearing about Phelps and his 8 gold medals lately ??? Everything has it's time.

I always wondered why they left Track and Field as the last competition in all Olympics.  Could be that the WORLD takes part in Track and Field as compared to Swimming ???

Juss my opinion folks.  Doh come beating ya chest in meh face please and thanks :beermug:

Actually the two are held at separate times as they are considered the two most traditional olympic sports. Not opinion, just fact. As for the track being held on the second week it could be to ensure that the stadium is back in competition mode after the pomp of the opening ceremony.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
okay Swimas :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »

'Cana Track and Field has traditionally always been held the latter part of the Olympics... this has always been the premier event of the Summer Games so they've been scheduled as the climax to the games (sorta).  Track, because of the scandals has suffered in reputation and as a result NBC felt like they had to play up Phelps more than anything else to try and get dey $2.2 billion dollars back. Based on the ratings they've gotten and the boost in women viewers because of swimming and gymnastics... looks like they gambled right.  I doh have to like it.

Had the US been it's traditionally dominant self in Track, they still wouldna come ahead of swimming in the schedule... and in fact NBC woulda been happy, that way they wouldna have to worry about a drop off in ratings the second week of the Olympics.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
In T&F I believe that you are restricted to 4 events. An athlete like Bolt may choose 100m, 200m, 4x100 and either long jump or 4x400 if they were to go after the 4 event. Apparently in swimming you can do whatever you want.

Marion Jones tried it once.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
I'm inclined to favor Bolt but I have to admit that I'm suffering from Phelps overexposure you can't turn on the tv or read  the paper without some kind of report about him ("and tonight on NBC Michael Phelps eats a sandwich and changes his socks!!!!").

I could also be projecting my disgust at NBC's Olympic coverage on Phelps as well but Bolt simply dominated his events without question.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
check Phelps in he yung boy daze
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
Sounds good but actually not true.  NBC had no idea the US would be that bad on the track. No one did.

Track was screwed with drug scandals and relegated to a 'back burner' event - and swimming was moved to the morning because of Phelps 8 goild medal attempt so they could be live to back in the USA

Remember that the US team was coming off its BEST ever showing at worlds last year in Osaka, so it wasn't an "oh we go get lix let's not highlight the sport thing" at all...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
Y it have 2 b 1 or d other both made d olympics memorable
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>