March 29, 2024, 02:11:54 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors shoots down Cuba.  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Soca Warriors shoots down Cuba.
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »
Daniel fires T&T past Cuba.
By: Flex Mohammed.

Trinidad and Tobago kicked of their 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying group stage with a 3-1 victory over host Cuba at the Estadio Pedro Marrero in La Habana today. Tobago born sensation Keon Daniel opened the score-line for the Warriors in the 22nd minute and then doubled the lead for T&T in the 59th with a spectacular free kick. Cornell Glen would add to the Warriors tally in the 66th with a great finish. Cuba however, pulled a goal back in the 88th through Yenier Marquez but it was little to late for the host nation as the Soca Warriors held on even with 10-men after Khaleem Hyland was ejected in the 70th minute to win the away tie and walk away with 3 vital points.

Starting Line-Ups.

TRI:
- 1.Marvin Phillip; 8.Cyd Gray (capt), 4.Makan Hislop, 6.Dennis Lawrence, 3.Avery John; 7.Christopher Birchall (16.Khaleem Hyland 39), 2.Clyde Leon, 12.Densill Theobald (10.Darryl Roberts 65th), 17.Keon Daniel; 9.Anthony Wolfe, 13.Cornell Glen (5.Osei Telesford 74th).

CUB: - 1.Dany Luis Quintero; 2.Silvio Pedro Minoso, 3.Yenier Marquez, 5.Jorge Luis Clavelo, 13.Carlos Francisco, 16.Reysander Fernandez, 14.Jaine Colome, 11.Hensy Munoz (17.Pedro Faife 81st), 7.Luis Hermilo Villegas (9.Alain Cervantes 56th), 18.Heriel Cordoves (19.Leonel Duarte 56th), 10.Roberto Linares.

Goals

Goal T&T 22nd: Keon Daniel (Clyde Leon).

Goal T&T 59th: Keon Daniel (free kick).

Goal T&T 66th: Cornell Glen (unassisted).

Goal Cuba 85th: Yenier Marquez.

Cautions

Yellow Card T&T: Makan Hislop (24).

Yellow Card T&T: Avery John (50 ?).

Yellow Card Cuba: Reysander Fernandez (60 ?).

Red Card T&T: Khaleem Hyland (70).

Yellow Card T&T: Dennis Lawrence (80).

Other Results

T&T 3-1 (1:0) Cuba 0 - F.
Haiti 2:2 (0:2) Suriname - F.
Canada 1:1 (0:0) Jamaica - F.
Mexico 2:1 (0:1) Honduras - F.
Costa Rica 1-0 (0:0) v El Salvador - F.
Guatemala 0-1 (0:0) v USA - F.
Daniel double guides Warriors to 3-1 win.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago secured its first three points of the CONCACAF Semi Final round of World Cup qualification with a 3-1 victory over Cuba at the Estadio Pedro Merrero on Wednesday night. The win was a reward for the gritty display by the "Soca Warriors" before 2,200 fans and came from three beautifully taken goals. United Petrotrin Keon Daniel silenced the buoyant home fans with a clinical left footed rifle in the 22nd minute.

And as Cuba continued to press and looked threatening at various points of the match forcing Marvin Phillip to make some timely saves, Daniel turned up to curl a left footed free kick from the edge of the penalty box into the right corner of the goal in the 52nd minute. Cornell Glen then sealed the three points for T&T with another well taken goal in the 69th minute.

Francisco Maturana's team, which started the slower of the two teams had an early setback when midfielder Chris Birchall was forced to go off because of stomach cramps and his replacement Khaleem Hyland was later sent off for violent play in the 71st minute. Cuba pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when Jeniel Marquez Molina won an air battle with Dennis Lawrence to powerfully head home from a right side cross.

Following the win, Maturana expressed satisfaction with the team's ability to collect the points on the road.
"It is a good result from us to start the round. Getting three points  away from Trinidad was a great achievement and now we must try to continue to achieve good results. I was happy to see the team work according to our plan and we scored our three goals very well. Cornell Glen for me was very good tonight again. He started alone and he did what we needed from him. And Keon (Daniel) for me can always give you that possibility (in attack) and tonight he showed us how well he can do it. I am happy about the result," Maturana told TTFF Media after the win.

Cuban front duo Roberto Linares and Heriel Cordoves managed to make some inroads into the T&T penalty box in the first half and were also willing to trying the goal from outside. On ten minutes a powerful crack from Linares brought the best out of Phillip.

A couple minutes earlier T&T had their first shy at goal when a Birchall cross almost met the head of Glen.
Just as the Cubans began to settle, T&T broke the deadlock through Daniel. Midfielder Clyde Leon played one for him to collect behind the defender and he moved goalwards before placing a left footer past Luis Quintero on his near left post. Cuba thought they had the equalizer three minutes later but Jensse Munos’ effort was ruled offside after he knocked in the rebound following Phillip’s initial block.

After the half time break, Maturana maintained the 4-5-1 formation and Cuba continued to press for the equalizer but nothing would beat Phillip and his defense of Dennis Lawrence, Avery John, Cyd Gray and Makan Hislop stood  firm when they had to. On 58 minutes T&T’s Densill Theobald should have done better with a left side delivery by Daniel but he failed to control the ball around the top centre of the box and soon after Hyland’s ambitious drive drifted away from the upright.

It was then time for the Daniel show to continue as the Petrotrin man turned up with another of his trademark free kicks, curling a left footer into the right corner of the net from the top edge leaving Quintero for dead. Munos tried to capitalize on a bad clearance from the usually reliable Dennis Lawrence, turning and firing one wide of Phillip’s far post in the 63rd.

Glen, like he did against El Salvador put on a demonstration on finishing. He collected from Hyland just outside the box and quickly looked up and saw the opportunity for goal, hitting a right footer away from the ‘keeper and into the right corner to put the game out of Cuba’s reach The 100 odd T&T fans in the stands were now celebrating in style for a third time on the evening.

Two minutes later though Hyland was given an immediate red for an apparent stamp as he made a late attempt to block an incoming challenge after delaying on the initial pass. Leonel Durante came off the bench for Cuba and looked lively down the stretch but by then Cuba’s lights were already out. Molina’s header eventually beat Phillip for a late consolation for the hosts who continued to play even forced three corners in the closing minute. Already T&T were counting three points and looking ahead to Guatemala on September 6 a the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Trinidad and Tobago's soccer team pose for a photo before their game againts Cuba during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).

Cuban Jeniel Marquez (R) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Chris Birchall (L) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).

Cuban Danny Quintero (R) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Chris Birchall (L) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).

Cuban Reysandri Fernandez (R) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Anthony Wolfe (L) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).

Cuban Jorge Luis Clavejo (L) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (R) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).

Cuban Carlos Francisco (R) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (L) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1. AFP PHOTO / STR (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:49:17 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Good Vibes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:23:49 PM »
Didn't I tell allyuh that when I have a good feeling about something it always turn out good.Well ah said so bout the Cuba TT match and watch me for the rest.Before de match ah said we will blow Cuba away and dat is what happen,I said that coz of how ah was feeling.Watch me for the rest.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Good Vibes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:24:27 PM »
Didn't I tell allyuh that when I have a good feeling about something it always turn out good.Well ah said so bout the Cuba TT match and watch me for the rest.Before de match ah said we will blow Cuba away and dat is what happen,I said that coz of how ah was feeling.Watch me for the rest.

what yuh feeling for guatemala?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors shoots down Cuba.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
Nice summary Flex!

Congrats T&T on a nicely taken win.

Many thanks for all the details prior to the game.

I followed game live on I95.5FM.

Just about to head to bed here in London, , its after 3am in morning.

Looking forward to seeing our boys in action in the Olympics 4 x 100m relay heats tomorrow or should I say later today!

Respect to all formites supporting the Soca Warriors come rain or shine!!

Lights out, Socapro
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
yah had ah vibes .

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

any chance yuh feeling good as to if ah going and win the lottery???  ;D

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I didnt expect you guys to win 3-0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »
Is Cuba that terrible?  ;)

Congrats....Cuba looks to be out of it.

Looks to be a good day for away teams. Honduras roughing up the Mexicans as I type this. Of course, the Boyz stole a point from Canada.
Suriname scared the Haitians....the haitians might be in early trouble.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I didnt expect you guys to win 3-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »
You know what they say about expectations, they can be the mother of dissapointments  ;D 

We won 3-1 BTW
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »
Is Cuba that terrible?  ;)

Congrats....Cuba looks to be out of it.

Looks to be a good day for away teams. Honduras roughing up the Mexicans as I type this. Of course, the Boyz stole a point from Canada.
Suriname scared the Haitians....the haitians might be in early trouble.

link for mexico game

http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_live.r8713.swf?channel=bsctv
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »

I watch both matches...Mexico and Honduras going through to the Hex easy easy

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:08 PM »
    Aye Reggae boy...    I did not expect your women to come 1,2,3 in the 100 metres final... what can I say... (But I hoped and am happy that Lightning Bolt broke the 200m record - now he just have to re-start running the 400 m and break that record in months to come...)

Big up Soca Warriors, see you all live on Sept. 6th here.

Congrats all around...

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

TrinInfinite

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »
i tell dem dat long time, man was frighten and ll that garbage, people will eat their words soon enough when maturana take us to south africa 2010 :beermug:

God is de BOSS....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
TI,
        I want to eat my words.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
TI,
        I want to eat my words.

You want some pepper sauce with that? :devil:

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:01 PM »
i tell dem dat long time, man was frighten and ll that garbage, people will eat their words soon enough when maturana take us to south africa 2010 :beermug:

God is de BOSS....
easy to say after months ah we f**king him up ,about the blacklist and selecting kids like Gay and a bunch ah nobodys like Corneals kids.And he still ent selecting the best side ,but he look like a genius now eh.Once they keep listening and keep winning ah guess he could get the props.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:07:40 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
TI,
        I want to eat my words.

You want some pepper sauce with that? :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 09:04:17 PM »
Great job T&T :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
And we score goals without Stern and/or Scotland.  No Carlos! No Yorke and Latapy! No Ince!  Well is either the full moon out, Cuba is not as good as we thought or Maturana is a genius. But don't forget we added Chris Birchall, Avery John, Cornell Glen and Cyd Gray since the disasters early on.  No doubt this is a different team than played Jamaica, Bermuda, Grenada.  Congratulations to T&T and you have to give Maturana credit.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:05 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago 3 defeats Cuba 3-1
 Print article 
 Refer to a friend 
© AP
2008-08-21 04:41:02 -

HAVANA (AP) -Keon Daniel  scored twice as Trinidad and Tobago used its superior size and strength to top Cuba 3-1 in CONCACAF qualifying for the World Cup on Wednesday.
Keon scored in the 27th and 61st minutes, Cornell Glen made it 3-0, and Cuba was consoled by a late Jeniel Marquez score when it was
reduced to 10 men in front of 1,500 subdued spectators at crumbling Pedro Marero Stadium.
Keon swiped an errant pass by the Cuba defense and won a foot race against a pair of defenders to beat Cuba goalkeeper Danny Quintero for the opening score.
Cuba nearly equalized three minutes later but Jensy Mulios' goal was nullified by an offsides call. It was Cuba's best chance of the half.
The second half opened with Cuba pressing but failing to mount a shot on-goal.
Keon scored again from a left-footed free kick, then Glen broke free for a long-range shot that Quintero had no chance to stop.
Cuba substitute Khaleem Hyland was red-carded for rough play in the 71st, and Marquez scored with two minutes left.
In the next Group 1 qualifiers on Sept. 6, the United States travels to Havana, and Trinidad hosts Guatemala.

Lineups
Cuba: Danny Quintero, Silvio Pedro, Jeniel Marquez, Jorge Clavelo, Carlos Francisco, Reysandry Fernandez, Jaine Colome, Jensy Mulios (Pedro Faife), Luis Villegas (Alain Cervantez), Heviel Cordoves (Leonel Duarte), Roberto Linares.
Trinidad and Tobago: Marvin Phillip, Clyde Leon, Avery John, Makan Hislop, Daniel Keon (Daryl Roberts), Dennis Lawrence, Chris Birchall (Khaleem Hyland), Cyd Gray, Densil Theobold, Anthony Wolfe, Cornell Glen (Osie Telesford).

Trinidad and Tobago's Glen Cornell, front, fights for the ball with Silvio Minoso during a World Cup 20 qualifying soccer game at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008.

Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (17) celebrates his second goal against Cuba during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier soccer match in Havana August 20,

Trinidad and Tobago's coach Francisco Maturana, from Colombia, gestures during a World Cup 20 qualifying soccer game against Cuba at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008. Trinidad and Tobago won 3-1.

Trinidad and Tobago's players celebrate after scoring their team's second goal during a World Cup 20 qualifying soccer game against Cuba at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008. Trinidad and Tobago won 3-1.

Trinidad and Tobago's Densil Theobald (L) and Clyde Leon (R) battle for the ball with Cuba's Heviel Cordoves (C) during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier soccer match in Havana August 20, 2008. Trinidad and Tobago won the match 3-1

Trinidad and Tobago's Cyd Gray (L) and Cuba's Carlos Francisco Serrano battle for the ball during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier soccer match in Havana August 20, 2008

Trinidad and Tobago's Glen Cornell, front, fights for the ball with Silvio Minoso during a World Cup 20 qualifying soccer game at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana, Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008

Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (R) battles for the ball with Cuba's Carlos Francisco Serrano during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier soccer match in Havana August 20, 2008

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »
as I said, I give up. I just watching the "entertainment".
I doh understand a thing about this game anymore.

Let we see how long the magic dust go last.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:08 PM »
Fire Pacho.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 10:11:46 PM »
the kit looking realll nice

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 10:15:30 PM »
Congrats fellas...the Entertainment going good...keep it up.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »
it nice it nice!!!!   Let's keep it rolling.  Wait nah is next month we in Chicago?  Let's go!!!!   :D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
Babalawo where you get that article? It say Hyland was a Cuban sub and they played with 10 men. The captioning on the pictures worng too.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:44 PM »

Cuban Jorge Luis Clavejo (L) vies for the ball with Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (R) during their FIFA World Cup South Africa-2010 qualifier football match, on August 20, 2008, at the Pedro Marrero stadium in Havana. Trinidad and Tobago defeated Cuba 3-1.

Trinidad and Tobago's Keon Daniel (17) celebrates his second goal against Cuba during their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier soccer match in Havana August 20, 2008.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:28 PM »
the kit looking realll nice

i was thinking the same thing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 10:58:08 PM »
Congrats Warriors. Please let me eat my words. Qualify for SA WC

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 11:28:18 PM »
Babalawo where you get that article? It say Hyland was a Cuban sub and they played with 10 men. The captioning on the pictures worng too.

Yahoo and Reuters.  Well you should already know to them all trinis look alike.  They even call the man Daniel Keon instead

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 02:27:55 AM »
TI,
 I want to eat my words.

Classic :)

1]; } ?>