April 19, 2024, 02:41:03 PM

Author Topic: Why our female athletes cyah make the grade?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why our female athletes cyah make the grade?
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Trini women athletes are yet to make any major T&F final. How come Jamrock and Cuba women can but ours cant?

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why our female athletes cyah make the grade?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
doh 4get bahamas who  I find use to real rip up d place.

i really believe we still look at sports as a pastime. i tired see athletes (male and female), who were great at school ,not pursue a career  in that fieldl choosing  to focus  on their  books as top priority
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:34:54 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline cocoapanyol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
doh 4get bahamas who  I find use to real rip up d place.

i really believe we still look at sports as a pastime. i tired see athletes (male and female), who were great at school ,not pursue a career  in that fieldl choosing  to focus  on their  books as top priority

I agree.  I think the focus in schools in Trinidad is purely academics and everything else is an aside.  Whether is sports or anything else.  Unless yuh eh get 5 o'levels etc., you are not considered to have been successful and so anything that could possibly distract from that is not encouraged.  It is really the opposite as we see with many successful athletes. 

Until children who are gifted (and there are many like that) in which ever particular sport are encouraged and nutured it will remain so.  It requires a triangle of home, school and government participation.

Like China
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »
Boldon wants to help T&T athletes

Four time T&T Olympic medalist, Ato Boldon is at a loss for words over the performances of T&T’s female athletes at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

None of the eight females that represented T&T were able to make it further than the second round in their respective events.

“I really do not know how to explain it. I really don’t think we brought the caliber of athletes to compete and the sad thing is that I know we have the talent, it exists so why?” Boldon said.

“When I look at Kelly Ann Baptiste she looked tired,” he added.

Boldon who has been to the 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004 Olympics as part of the T&T contingent admitted: “In all my years with the national team, I have never seen the hunger and passion from our women in track that I see from the Jamaican women. I see it in Candice Scott and Cleopatra Borel-Brown, but not from the others, and that has got to be a major factor.”

No female athlete has ever won a medal for T&T in the Olympic Games.

“Four years on from Athens, we need to do something, one medal alone is not good enough, and that is the disadvantage of Richard winning a silver, if people are now happy with that alone, we cannot be contented by this,” Boldon continued.

“If this was Jamaica and they only had one medal when they returned home, they would not have accepted that, there would be many questions raised and answers would have to be given,” said Boldon.

“We have to accept that while there has been progress, what we have been doing, has not been reaping the rewards required and it is no good getting annoyed and talking about it every four years, we need to sort it out during the period leading up to the next Olympics (London 2012),” warned Boldon.

He said: “Everyone now, needs to work together. I feel it is time for me to make myself available to those in track and field in whatever way possible, so I am doing that, we need to put aside egos and do something to reverse this process of just one medal every now or then.

“The more I need to be, I will be involved, I will be setting up a base in South Florida and if it is that I can be an advisor, coach or anything that can help the team, I will,” said Boldon.

“People who have won at this level, cannot continue to be excluded, because they know about it, they have experienced it and when you have people involved who do not know that, no matter how pretty it looks, it will not succeed,” said a concerned Boldon.

Boldon, who is now a leading athletics analyst with the NBC network at the Beijing Olympics said: “If we can fix the system, then we will fix both the men and women in the sports. We need to have concrete plans and put it in writing, that is what works.” (Andre Baptiste)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:17:17 PM »
sorry to say..but Kelly Ann was a huge disappointment at the olympics..she did not even make semi finals

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »

“““People who have won at this level, cannot continue to be excluded, because they know about it, they have experienced it and when you have people involved who do not know that, no matter how pretty it looks, it will not succeed,” said a concerned Boldon.

Yuh know how long I saying de same damn ting !!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
I don't think we encourage our women to TF. Sometimes in a half-hearted manner. Just look how netball and field hockey has fallen. But like I said before, the entire population needs to participate. Right now, only Afro Trini are involed in TF anf football, hockey, rugby, netball etc. Our talent pool is small. We have to extend it to be inclusive.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »
Dais all that i does be contemplating when are our women going to step up to the world stage Kelly was incredibly disappointing. All she needed to run was 11.30 to make the semi's. But then again im not her so i cant determine under what circumstances she was running from cud of been fatigue. I think track like Jamaica shud be integrated from primary school, i know the government are very ignorant all dey studyin is business and energy but wa dey dont realise dat we can 'sell' ourselves via sports especially track. But deeks ur absolutely rite in tems of race bar the bovell brothers lol. But for now i jus hope the athletes are willing to accept Ato's support.

1]; } ?>