April 28, 2024, 09:01:56 PM

Author Topic: Akil DeFreitas Thread  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Akil DeFreitas Thread
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
A-Sun preseason honor for DeFreitas
By Adam Jonson (UNF Athletics)

August 13, 2008

An impressive freshman campaign that included a team-high seven goals in 2007 earned University of North Florida men’s soccer sophomore forward Akil DeFreitas 2008 preseason All-Atlantic Sun Conference team honors on Wednesday.

“Akil is a great player and he deserves this honor,” UNF head coach Ray Bunch said.

DeFreitas also topped the team with four gamewinners and 17 points, along with three assists, which ranked second on the 2007 squad.  The Port of Spain, Trinidad,native is one of six sophomores to earn preseason all-conference honors this year.

DeFreitas and the Ospreys finished fourth in the A-Sun standings last season, the same position they are expected to fill this season, according to the preseason coaches’ poll, also released on Wednesday.

“After being picked near the bottom in last year’s preseason poll, I am happy to see that we are closer to the top this time,” Bunch said.  “It does put more pressure on us to perform on the field, though.  But I believe our guys can stand up to the challenge.”

Campbell, Jacksonville, and Stetson were picked one, two, and three in the poll ahead of the Ospreys.  UNF faces two of those opponents – Campbell (Oct. 9) and Jacksonville (Oct. 26) – at Hodges Stadium this season.  Campbell and Stetson each placed four players on the preseason team, and Campbell’s Richard Jata was tagged as the preseason player of the year.

UNF returns eight starters and 14 letterwinners from last year’s team that finished 5-4-0 in league play and 8-9-0 overall.  DeFreitas, who will be looked to as the Ospreys top marksman will try to set the tone for a group 11 newcomers, including four from high school.

“It puts pressure on Akil as well,” Bunch said.  “Other teams know what he can do and they have had a year to prepare for him.  Now that he will be marked, he will need to work even harder to repeat his success of last year.”

The team’s hard work will be put to the test for the first time on Aug. 20 when Rollins College will come to Hodges Stadium for an exhibition match.  The Ospreys will travel to the west coast to open the season on Aug. 30 at UC-Irvine’s tournament in California.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:00:35 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
TT footballer collects top American honour
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
TT footballer collects top American honour
Newsday reports.

Thursday, August 21 2008

MIAMI: An impressive freshman campaign that included a team-high seven goals in 2007 earned University of North Florida men’s soccer sophomore forward Akil De Freitas 2008 preseason All-Atlantic Sun Conference team honours on August 13.

“Akil is a great player and he deserves this honour,” UNF head coach Ray Bunch said.

De Freitas also topped the team with four game-winners and 17 points, along with three assists, which ranked second on the 2007 squad. The Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, native is one of six sophomores to earn preseason all-conference honours this year.

De Freitas and the Ospreys finished fourth in the A-Sun standings last season, the same position they are expected to fill this season, according to the preseason coaches’ poll, also released a week ago.

“After being picked near the bottom in last year’s preseason poll, I am happy to see that we are closer to the top this time,” Bunch said. “It does put more pressure on us to perform on the field, though. But I believe our guys can stand up to the challenge.”

Campbell, Jacksonville, and Stetson were picked one, two, and three in the poll ahead of the Ospreys. UNF faces two of those opponents – Campbell (October 9) and Jacksonville (October 26) – at Hodges Stadium this season. Campbell and Stetson each placed four players on the preseason team, and Campbell’s Richard Jata was tagged as the preseason player of the year.

UNF returns eight starters and 14 letter-winners from last year’s team that finished 5-4-0 in league play and 8-9-0 overall. De Freitas, who will be looked to as the Ospreys top marksman will try to set the tone for a group 11 newcomers, including four from high school.

“It puts pressure on Akil as well,” Bunch said. “Other teams know what he can do and they have had a year to prepare for him. Now that he will be marked, he will need to work even harder to repeat his success of last year.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Akil DeFreitas signs with Capital City FC
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
CCFC announces signing of two more internationals
capitalcityfc.com

Capital City Football Club of Ottawa signs two more international players, Garret Webb from Drake University and Akil DeFreitas from North Carolina State University and Trinidad and Tobago International.

A forward from Kansas City, Garrett Webb was a standout collegiate player.  In Kansas, Webb was a four time state champion and three time regional champion before moving on to collegiate soccer at Drake University.

In his senior year at Drake, Webb was a finalist for one of the highest awards for US/NCAA collegiate soccer players – the A Mac Herman trophy. He is a four year letter winner and starter, producing attacking numbers that brought him conference, regional and national honours.

Shaun Harris, Capital City FC’s Technical Director and Head Coach, says Webb’s experience as a top collegiate player will help the team.

“He is a true centre forward that has the pedigree from being a successful collegiate athlete that will bring a lot of stability to our side,” he says.

In 2009, Webb was the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) player of the year. He is also a three time MVC award winner and two time all-American. These collegiate honours gave Webb recognition that led him the 2010 Adidas-MLS combine.

But Webb was not the only signing.

Capital City FC also signs North Carolina State University and Trinidad and Tobago international forward Akil DeFreitas.

DeFreitas started his collegiate career at University of Florida where he was Atlantic Sun freshman of the year, a first team all conference player and multi time player of the week award winner. He led his team in total points in back to back seasons as a starter in 34 of 35 matches.

In 2010, DeFreitas transferred to North Carolina State University where he had immediate success. He was a multi-time Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) player of the week in his senior season. 

Before and during his collegiate career, DeFreitas was a mainstay in Trinidad as a youth national team player where he played four seasons for coach Nigel Grovesnor.  DeFreitas made youth national team appearances playing for the Trinidad and Tobago U-17 National Team and the U-20 national team squad before advancing to his senior career into the U-21 and U-23 teams.  He was also called to the Trinidad and Tobago full national team for World Cup training and qualifications.

“DeFreitas is a player that will bring more maturity to the group,” says Harris. “His experience with the national team will bring more of an international presence that some of the other players on the team don’t have.”

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Akil DeFreitas signs with Capital City FC
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
good to hear that name..skil..was impressive at st anthonys..pace like fire
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CCFC players make noise at year end awards
By Eric Balnar (capitalcityfc.com)

After an outstanding inaugural season the accolades keep coming for Capital City FC.

Forward Akil DeFreitas was recognized for his fantastic first season by winning the Canadian Soccer League’s ‘Rookie of the Year’ award.

Despite only joining the team in June, DeFreitas amazed fans with his quickness and ability to elude opposing defenders. The young forward tallied nine goals in his first year.

“It feels great to win a professional award,” said DeFreitas. “I feel like all my hard work and dedication has paid off over the years. Winning a professional award in my first year as a pro player is a great achievement for me and I hope can continue my success.”

While it may have been the only award Capital City FC won at the league’s awards banquet, they still had plenty of other nominations.

Clint Irwin was nominated for top goaltender after recording 13 clean sheets and leading his team to the CSL final. He was second in voting behind Toronto SC’s Scott Cliff.

To round out the awards, striker Sullivan Silva was nominated for Most Valuable Player after a season where he led the team in goals and assists. Silva was second in voting behind reigning MVP Tihomir Maletic of Toronto-Croatia.

Capital City head coach and technical director Shaun Harris said the nominations were a testament to the total group effort Ottawa put in this year.

“I think as a whole we were a team,” said CCFC head coach Shaun Harris. “I think any player in the group would tell you if they weren't pushed and challenged by their teammates we would not have ended up where we did. It took all 25 players to get to the 2011 Cup Final.”

The Capital City FC fans, staff and players also voted on their team awards and some great athletes came away with some hardware.

Sullivan Silva won two awards – walking away with team MVP and the supporter’s choice award.

"The award means a lot to me but without staff and teammates I wouldn’t be able to achieve it on my own,” said Silva. “The team worked really hard during the whole season so now I can see that it was worth it.”

Emir Zrnic was selected as the young player of the year award. The exciting midfielder was a key part of the team and consistently set up goals while adding a few strikes of his own. He finished the year with four goals and 10 assists.

Francis LeTourneau was selected as the most determined player. At the beginning of the season, LeTourneau was a squad player. He put hours of hard work into the team and earned an impressive distinction.

"We asked each and every player to have the right attitude and to work hard and Francis did each of those each and every day. He was very coachable all season,” said Harris.

The tightest award was the defenders award. Casey Cordray proved to be the team’s ‘Defender of the Year’ but it was a close fight. The league’s top defence featured a cast which included Guyanan national player Julien Edwards, team captain Clint Irwin, ruthless defending midfielder Kenny Caceros and Bermudan national Andre Manders.

Harris said this team worked hard and deserved every award and nomination

"We had that determination day in and day out by each by everyone. It allowed the team to make the individuals better and to do what they did best,” he said.

CCFC continues their busy offseason. Stay tuned to capitalcityfc.com, twitter (@CapitalCityFC), Facebook and YouTube for season updates.

2012 Season Tickets will be released for purchase in early December and could make for a  terrific christmas gift as well as Capital City FC merchandise. Order forms will also be put online just in time for the holiday season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Akil DeFreitas signs with Finnish Premier League team, FF Jaro
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
Jaro signs DeFreitas and Banner
ffjaro.fi

Trinidad & Tobago international Akil DeFreitas and American Mike Banner signed contracts today with FF Jaro. Banner's contract is for two years and DeFreitas' is for one year with and option to extend for an additional year.

Akil DeFreitas played last season in the Canadian Soccer League with Capital City FC team where he scored ten goals and had six assists. He was named the Rookie of the Year for the 2011 season. DeFreitas has also been part of his country's national youth teams.

"I am satisfied with the contract and I am really excited to be playing in Finland and especially in Europe. The team is good and I am glad that I got selected. I want to help the team succeed. The team has a lot of skill and potential. Personally, I want to help the team achieve all of its goals", DeFreitas said.

DeFreitas will also be part of the coaching staff of Jaro's youth team.

Mike Banner has been playing professionally for the past five years with MLS team, Chicago Fire. Ther 27-year-old defender played 54 games and scored three goals for Chicago. "Everybody has been really friendly from the very beginning and I was soon in the team. I think tha Jaro plays well and I believe that we can progress under coach Eremenko. I am really happy for this opportunity", Banner says.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UU6cFMkrSmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UU6cFMkrSmY</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Akil DeFreitas signs with Finnish Premier League team, FF Jaro
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
Good. Congratulations.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 04:07:54 PM »
Jaro signs DeFreitas and Banner
ffjaro.fi

Trinidad & Tobago international Akil DeFreitas and American Mike Banner signed contracts today with FF Jaro. Banner's contract is for two years and DeFreitas' is for one year with and option to extend for an additional year.

Akil DeFreitas played last season in the Canadian Soccer League with Capital City FC team where he scored ten goals and had six assists. He was named the Rookie of the Year for the 2011 season. DeFreitas has also been part of his country's national youth teams.

"I am satisfied with the contract and I am really excited to be playing in Finland and especially in Europe. The team is good and I am glad that I got selected. I want to help the team succeed. The team has a lot of skill and potential. Personally, I want to help the team achieve all of its goals", DeFreitas said.

DeFreitas will also be part of the coaching staff of Jaro's youth team.

Mike Banner has been playing professionally for the past five years with MLS team, Chicago Fire. Ther 27-year-old defender played 54 games and scored three goals for Chicago. "Everybody has been really friendly from the very beginning and I was soon in the team. I think tha Jaro plays well and I believe that we can progress under coach Eremenko. I am really happy for this opportunity", Banner says.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UU6cFMkrSmY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UU6cFMkrSmY</a>

That will come back to work in your favour. Handle yuh biz boss.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Like DeFreitas, Latiff could be a Beep Test flop
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:13 AM »
Like DeFreitas, Latiff could be a Beep Test flop
By Shamir Osman (todayonline.com)

Blessed with lightning pace and a resume that highlights spots in Trinidad and Tobago youth squads up to the under-23 level, Akil DeFreitas, a Canadian Soccer League rookie of the year winner, was snapped up by top-flight Finnish club FF Jaro earlier this month.

It turns out the 25-year-old striker could have represented Tanjong Pagar United in this year's Great Eastern-Yeo's S-League, if not for the fact he had failed the mandatory Beep Test that players need to pass before being allowed to play here.

"He was our first choice foreign signing, he had tremendous speed and I was honestly impressed, but unfortunately he failed the Beep Test twice and we couldn't sign him," Tanjong Pagar coach Terry Pathmanathan told Today.

Footballers are required to reach Stage 13.1 to pass the Beep Test, but DeFreitas could not clear Stage 12 of the fitness examination that helps trainers measure the maximum oxygen intake of athletes (VO2 max).

From five-time S-League top goalscorer Mirko Grabovac, to former Tampines Rovers defender Sead Muratovic and local players Razif Mahmood and Gusta Guzarishah, the Beep Test has hit several talented individuals hard.

This year, champions Tampines were forced to start the season without veteran Ahmad Latiff, who played a vital role in the Stags' run to the title last year but has failed the test seven times so far.

Latiff, 32, has two more attempts this month to clear the test and earn the right to play for Tampines.

At 42, team-mate Aleksandar Duric is often used as the poster boy for fitness and discipline.

The Singapore international, who is still a prolific striker, continues to pass the Beep Test easily, but he said: "I'm totally against it. I think it should have been scrapped a long time ago. To pass the test requires players to be at the peak of their fitness even before the season starts and it really kills us as the year goes on.

"We've lost so many quality players because of this and this year it could be Latiff. He gives 100 per cent every game and he was fantastic for us last year.

"I'll be heartbroken if he can't play because of the test."

Former Singapore skipper Aide Iskandar and ex-SAFFC captain Noor Ali believe that the way forward for a league looking to entertain and bring fans back to stadiums is to take a step back in time.

In 2003, S-League clubs were required to pass the test, but the entire team's average result was used instead of individual scores.

Both called for a return to the old system.

"Why should the league have to ensure that players are fit? Club coaches should take responsibility for their team's fitness, and (under the 2003 system) they'll be allowed to form a balanced squad with players who can entertain too," said Noor.

Recent media reports have highlighted local footballers' bad habits like smoking, drinking and keeping late nights, and critics feel a mandatory test will help ensure players remain fit.

But Duric believes it is a job for clubs.

"Most players are fit enough anyway and it should be left to clubs to educate their players on how to live the professional life," he said.

In response to Today's queries, a Football Association of Singapore (FAS) spokesperson said: "It is a matter of concern for us when we lose quality players who cannot pass the test, but we do not want an instance where clubs field unfit players during a match.

"FAS sees fitness testing of our footballers as something positive and relevant especially in this modern era of professional football, but as a forward looking organisation, we always welcome new ideas and are constantly on a lookout for innovative solutions to enhance the capabilities of our players."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
That Yo-Yo IRT is the great equalizer. 

"Why should the league have to ensure that players are fit? Club coaches should take responsibility for their team's fitness, and (under the 2003 system) they'll be allowed to form a balanced squad with players who can entertain too," said Noor.

Recent media reports have highlighted local footballers' bad habits like smoking, drinking and keeping late nights, and critics feel a mandatory test will help ensure players remain fit.

But Duric believes it is a job for clubs.

"Most players are fit enough anyway and it should be left to clubs to educate their players on how to live the professional life," he said.

In response to Today's queries, a Football Association of Singapore (FAS) spokesperson said: "It is a matter of concern for us when we lose quality players who cannot pass the test, but we do not want an instance where clubs field unfit players during a match.

"FAS sees fitness testing of our footballers as something positive and relevant especially in this modern era of professional football, but as a forward looking organisation, we always welcome new ideas and are constantly on a lookout for innovative solutions to enhance the capabilities of our players."

As far as this ... yuh can't have a race to the bottom in which there is no accountability for a minimum threshold of fitness. That entertain thing carries no weight ... iz also partially bad for internal team dynamics when one man has busted his gut and an exception is made for another player.

Reminds me of a 24/25 y/o from Cameroun who could ball but when he was spotted he was warned that he would have to pass the Cooper Test during pre-season ... senior baller got cut because he was fully on de I could ball thing, but inattentive and resistant to de can you take your ass across de field in support of your teammates consistently thing.

Footballers are required to reach Stage 13.1 to pass the Beep Test, but DeFreitas could not clear Stage 12 of the fitness examination that helps trainers measure the maximum oxygen intake of athletes (VO2 max).

Steups. At the recent USL tryouts men was easily hitting past that. Preparing for this test is such a constant that players should regard it as something they can control going into a tryout.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AM7mBGQnoJY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AM7mBGQnoJY</a>

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:25:50 PM »
nice  player
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Akil DeFreitas Thread
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
Akil DeFreitas has signed with Finnish Second Division club, Kokkolan Palloveikot aka KPV. This will be Akil’s second stint in Finland, having previously played with FF Jaro in 2012.
http://www.kpv.fi/uutiset/79531/akil-defreitas-sopimukseen

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »
Akil DeFreitas has signed a 3-year contract with Finnish club, FC Jazz. Based in Pori, Finland, the club plays in the Finnish First Division (Ykkönen).

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
not a bad player... i think SH should give him a chance to run with the team and see how he does...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
WATCH: Akil DeFreitas (Speed, Skills, and Goals)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EVMvn3s08k4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EVMvn3s08k4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
Akil DeFreitas has been appointed Head Coach of Icelandic fourth division (fifth tier) club, Kormákur/Hvöt. In addition, he will be on their roster as a player. Akil is currently working on obtaining his UEFA B Licence.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 06:51:59 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 12:37:46 AM »
Similar to Yohance Marshall with Fenrir - from talking to a scout in Iceland its to get around the fact its all enforced amateur at that level, so if you want to pay a player they need to be a coach too.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Akil DeFreitas has played abroad since the age of 18
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 07:15:51 AM »
Akil DeFreitas has played abroad since the age of 18
feykir.is

One of the key players for Kormák Hvöt this summer, as well as the team's assistant coach, is Akil DeFreitas, a 34 - year - old professional footballer from Trinidad and Tobago, a small island in the Caribbean. Akil says he usually plays on the left wing, but he can also play as a center or as a forward midfielder. Now on Tuesday, Akil scored the winning goal for Kormákur Hvöt when Húnvetningar met Hamars from Hveragerđi in the final for a place in the 3rd division this year. He has therefore better written his name in the history books of football in Húnavatnssýsla.

Akil first came to Iceland in 2017 after receiving an offer from Sindri in Höfn. "At that time I was looking for a new challenge and since then I have played football here in Iceland," says Akil. He scored eight goals with Hornfirđingar that summer, then played with Vestra in Ísafjörđur in the summer of 2018 and Völsung in Húsavík 2019. He then switched to Kormák / Hvöt this winter and has scored nine goals in 14 games with the team. "Before I came to Iceland, I played in Finland for five years. I played in Veikkausliiga which is the top division in Finland and I also played with a team in Ykkönen [1. division] as in Kakkonen [2. department]. "

What surprised you the most when you came to Iceland? "The small number of people surprised me and the distance between towns, which often requires a lot of driving."

How do you feel about being part of Kormákur Hvöt? "It is good to be part of the team, the players and the people around the club have been friendly and welcomed me."

What do you think about football in Iceland and what is the difference between playing here or abroad? "My feeling for football in Iceland is that the style of play is very straightforward and it puts a lot of pressure on the physical strength of the players compared to the game in other countries. As I played, more effort was put into technical ability and the style of play was more based on a slower build and holding the ball better.

Who is your favorite teammate or the most fun? "The most fun club is Yepes because his English is not very good - it has a lot of fun listening to him speak English."

Akil says that when he came to Iceland he hoped that he could play football in high quality and that he saw it as a challenge. It was something he hoped to be able to do everywhere he played. "I have experienced playing twice in a cup competition against teams in the top division, FH and KR, and it is a feeling I would like to be able to experience every weekend," says Akil.

Which footballer has been your role model? "I may not be able to say that any player was a role model, but I like watching Messi because for me he is the best player today. "I also like watching Manchester City's Mahrez and Newcastle's Saint-Maximin."

What do you do in Blönduós other than play football? "A normal day with me here at Blönduós is done in such a way that I make sure that the football field is in good condition, so I train the kids here in football and practice in the evenings. After training I go to the gym and then to the ice bath. The day usually ends with dinner around nine o'clock, massage and stretching exercises before I go to bed. Apart from football, I spend most of my time relaxing, watching movies or talking to relatives and friends. "

Has your stay in Iceland been difficult in any way? "I have been away from home since I was 18 years old. So moving to Iceland has actually been very easy. I have become accustomed to traveling to different countries for football and have lived in Finland, Lithuania, Sweden, Singapore and Thailand to name a few. "

Finally; Isn't Bjarki Már too old to play football? "Haha, he is very old but his legs are still moving and he gives his all on the pitch," says Akil and adds with a laugh: "I think he is the oldest player in Iceland!"

1]; } ?>