March 28, 2024, 09:09:33 AM

Author Topic: Has Marvin Phillips cemented the goalkeeper spot?  (Read 6902 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Has Marvin Phillips cemented the goalkeeper spot?
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
I've been paying some attention to his performances and I must say, despite a few lapses is concentration here and there, he's been brilliant during his stretch in the team.. Particularly his shot stopping has been excellent.

So should he be above Ince and Williams in the pecking order?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Has Marvin Phillips cemented the goalkeeper spot?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »
Williams for sure.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »
if we take the last fuentes article as being accurate then ALL spots up for grabs and that decision go come before each game (competition is always good in my opinion).  I hope all dat dey say come to pass.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
We still have Ince Jack and Even Warner once all of them fit and playing for clubs they will have to be the top choices

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
As long he is very focus during the game...i don't have a problem...even if he start or not because T&T has being producing quality goalkeeper

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
he definitely better than williams!
his concentration is getting better an if his distribution is as well then there is no need to change him from starter
Back in Trini...

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »
the big story is de defense lookin suspect
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »

Real talk.  How much block shots did Makan Hislop had in that game.  Thomas should start over him.  Since when hislop should be a regular

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »

The defence more suspect now with the basically the whole defence carrying yellow cards.  They best play it safe against Guatemala and then leggo everything against the US if it come to that.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
One thing I like about Phillips from de games I see is he seems more confident than Williams with crosses and high balls.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
I've been paying some attention to his performances and I must say, despite a few lapses is concentration here and there, he's been brilliant during his stretch in the team.. Particularly his shot stopping has been excellent.

So should he be above Ince and Williams in the pecking order?
Since moving to W-Connection, he has been the most focussed of his career. He admitted his past disciplinary issues, and took anger management courses to deal with the problem. With that said, I don't think he has been tested enough to lay claim to being the best. However, he has been keeping things tidy when called upon, so I believe he will maintain the starting position unless he starts making blunders or Jan-Michael stars out in Hungary. Me eh know what relly going wit Ince, so ah go leave he out of de equation for now. Kelvin Jack is a non-factor because he is not yet fully fit (although he's close), and have not played competitive football in a while.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »

The defence more suspect now with the basically the whole defence carrying yellow cards.  They best play it safe against Guatemala and then leggo everything against the US if it come to that.

well guy's suspect or not....they have to be on the ball come next game ....because there hand will be full so ah hope they know that

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 06:02:40 AM »

Real talk.  How much block shots did Makan Hislop had in that game.  Thomas should start over him.  Since when hislop should be a regular

One young quick(er) defender and one (old) experienced defender. That is the formula there...Hislop only getting replaced by a young gun, not an old hand.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:43:09 AM »
 Marvin Phillip has always been a Great GoalKeeper. Had he left the country to play abroad I would go so far to say he might even be world class now. I watch him play from way back and was always a cut above the rest. IN fact people have told me that he used to actually help train Jan Michael during under 17 times.I dont know how true that is but even ole talk does come from somewhere. So far he has been consistent and I see no reason why we should replace him because someone else foreign based. His shot stopping, collecting crosses, commanding the defence and distribution just as good and even better than the crop of goalies available however in terms of physicality and size he is lacking a bit and that is just a nutrition and weight problem.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:02:03 AM »
Marvin Phillip has always been a Great GoalKeeper. Had he left the country to play abroad I would go so far to say he might even be world class now. I watch him play from way back and was always a cut above the rest. IN fact people have told me that he used to actually help train Jan Michael during under 17 times.I dont know how true that is but even ole talk does come from somewhere. So far he has been consistent and I see no reason why we should replace him because someone else foreign based. His shot stopping, collecting crosses, commanding the defence and distribution just as good and even better than the crop of goalies available however in terms of physicality and size he is lacking a bit and that is just a nutrition and weight problem.

Is true, at youth level, he was above Jan-Michael.

Yuh ever notice how de goalkeeping jersey does always look ah size too big fuh him?

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:16:42 AM »
Dont forget Tony Warner!
Hart for president

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
How tall is Phillips?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 12:50:55 PM »
How tall is Phillips?
Ah tink he is around 6' 1"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
I thought Marvin was suppose to go on trial with TT Pro League partners- FC Dallas. ?
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
I thought Marvin was suppose to go on trial with TT Pro League partners- FC Dallas. ?
Dat was supposed to back in February.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
Would love to see that Cuba game, from all reports he was truly outstanding.  

Tenors, as a keeper yourself what are your thoughts on Marv relative to the other eligible keepers?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 12:30:38 AM »
How tall is Phillips?
Ah tink he is around 6' 1"

I hope so, because I never see a world champion ship or top winning team with a short keeper.  I know we have a small nation and limited amount of goalie to choose from.  Hopefully he can make up for it with his speed and skills.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
he definitely is 6' 1"....he might even be a lil taller than that
Back in Trini...

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »

We defense still need some new blood. It looking suspect! :o It had ah youth who came off the bench at the El Salvador game. He tall and took a free kick that almost scored. Does anyone know his name? ??? He kinda reminds me of the youth who plays in defense for Man-U, Les Brown.   

On ah next note: None ah we keeper's should be cemented.Why? Soon as anyone slip up, it have ah man to replace them ASAP! Leh we keep it so fuh thee whole team...Everyone have to earn ah spot on this team and if yuh ent playing yuh go have to sit down.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:16:14 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »

We defense still need some new blood. It looking suspect! :o It had ah youth who came off the bench at the El Salvador game. He tall and took a free kick that almost scored. Does anyone know his name? ??? He kinda reminds me of the youth who plays in defense for Man-U, Les Brown.   

On ah next note: None ah we keeper's should be cemented.Why? Soon as anyone slip up, it have ah man to replace them ASAP! Leh we keep it so fuh thee whole team...Everyone have to earn ah spot on this team and if yuh ent playing yuh go have to sit down.

could you be refering to randanfah abu bakr? tall and good at set pieces been refining his freekick since his days at QRC...but still fairly slow...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:04:39 PM by Arazi »

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »

could you be refering to randanfah abu bakr? tall and good at set pieces been refining his freekick since his days at QRC...but still fairly slow...

Yeah! I believe so, he was on the You tube practicing that free kick ah couple times, so it might be him. How was his play at QRC?
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »

Tenors, as a keeper yourself what are your thoughts on Marv relative to the other eligible keepers?

He is not of the mold of the modern-day keeper in terms of size, and that might be a deterrent to him attracting European interest.  He is an excellent shot stopper, has decent handling skills, and distribution, and is capable of challenging for cross ball.  He does show some indecision coming off his line, and needs to communicate and command the back line more.  That is something he will have to earn.  Great keepers grow into being the leader in defence and they inspire their back line when they make crucial saves.  He is still adjusting to the international game, so I think he needs to be given more time.  I wouldn't say that he has earned the #1 jersey yet.  He needs to be tested against more formidable oppponents.  But as one fellow keeper of the lineage of solid goalkeeping that has come out of P. Town, I will say that he is doing us  ;Dproud.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »

Yeah! I believe so, he was on the You tube practicing that free kick ah couple times, so it might be him. How was his play at QRC?
solid ...styled his game after rivaldo...competent as a deep lying midfielder but can play as a centre back..good in the air and his aerial passing and dead ball game was something that kept getting better at the college..i remember in a internal school league we had score on his team and he score back on us taking the kick from the half line kickoff. keeper had no chance...

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:39 PM »

He is not of the mold of the modern-day keeper in terms of size, and that might be a deterrent to him attracting European interest.  He is an excellent shot stopper, has decent handling skills, and distribution, and is capable of challenging for cross ball.  He does show some indecision coming off his line, and needs to communicate and command the back line more.  That is something he will have to earn.  Great keepers grow into being the leader in defence and they inspire their back line when they make crucial saves.  He is still adjusting to the international game, so I think he needs to be given more time.  I wouldn't say that he has earned the #1 jersey yet.  He needs to be tested against more formidable oppponents.  But as one fellow keeper of the lineage of solid goalkeeping that has come out of P. Town, I will say that he is doing us  ;Dproud.

quick to claim him for ptown there! pres, mod sec and williamsville cud all do the same!  :devil:
continue to big things meh boy and yuh will definitely get picked to go play outside of t&t
Back in Trini...

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
dont forget  troy marquis hes back and in full form he will be on d team haha watch out marvin
bajanscout

1]; } ?>