April 27, 2024, 12:15:27 PM

Author Topic: Breaking news!! IOC, IAAF & WADA issue joint statement on Jamaican supplements  (Read 3557 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
In a joint statement issued by the presidents of the World Anti-Doping Agency, International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the following foods have been placed on the list of banned substances issued by WADA:

Yam, green bananas, cocoa, dasheen, breadfruit, ackee and saltfish, mackeral run down, turned cornmeal, Jerked pork and chicken, escovietched fish Malta, Supligen, Milo (said to be the food drink of Champions), Horlicks and coconut oil. Jamaicans seem to become extremely athletic on diets with these foods. Coming out of WADA labs, one of the major banned substances from Jamaica is the Cassava root, a high fibre, high starch tuber root eaten in Jamaica. It has properties which are said to enhance endurance and cause muscle fibres to twitch faster.

This comes after extensive study of the diets of the Jamaican athletes which took part in the Beijing 2008 Olympic games. Though natural foods it is felt by WADA that these foods because of their unique properties give Jamaican athletes an unfair advantage. High concentrations of carbohydrates and other naturally occurring substances are said to be mimicking the effects of Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs). Some foods have been noted to in particular cause an unusual increase in the male hormone testosterone. As such WADA has seen it fit to add these foods to the list of banned substances.

Given the sensitivity of this issue, Jamaican athletes participating in the current Olympic games underway in Beijing have not been banned but must submit to these new restrictions within the next two years. Two substances which have been discovered in testing of the Jamaican foods are “yamstenine”, a yam derivative and “cocosterone”, a derivative of the coco plant. These substances have been found to mimic nandrolone and the blood booster EPO, hence the preliminary banning of the substances themselves and the banning of the foods they derive from.

This ruling will also affect other Caribbean and some African countries which share similar diets as Jamaicans.

this is just for kicks people...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:55:11 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
and people say that I am idle

take WIN Bakes
Forum Record ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Dem leff out bully beef and beef inna baggie?  ::) ??? 8) 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
ah was laughing hard until ah reach "milo" >:(  Dat ain't right...Dat is blasphamy >:( >:(
but at least dey didn't interfere wid fry plantain :P

Bakes ya idle in tru'

I find you should post that in some Jamaican forum, let dem cause riot  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Me eh know what yuh put dat small disclaimer for

I wanted to see who woulda get vex and take de chain
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
my god i get catch  :D i now wondering if they mad lol  :rotfl:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
oxtail still allowed?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 Victor Conte movin to Trelawny soon

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/track_field/news?slug=reu-athleticsboltfather&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Bolt’s gold down to yam power, father says

Aug 16, 11:29 am EDT

By Horace Helps

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Usain Bolt streaked to 100 metres Olympic gold at the Beijing Olympics on Saturday thanks to yam power, his father said.

Wellesley Bolt said his son was partial to the vegetable grown in the north-western area of Jamaica where the sprinter was born.

“It is definitely the Trelawny yam,” Bolt senior told Reuters seconds after his son smashed the world record on the way to landing the biggest gold medal in sport.

The yam grown in the parish Trelawny is one of the staples that has made the area famous. It is sold in huge volumes here and much of it is exported. Citizens of the area believe that it has medicinal properties.

“I was very nervous before the race, my heart was pumping. I spoke to him about two days ago and told him that I was getting nervous and he said ‘don’t worry Dad, I am going to win this one for you’,” Wellesley told Reuters from his home, less than 30 minutes drive from the western tourist city of Montego Bay.

“My house has been taken over by more than 100 people from inside and outside the community.

“They are waving flags, beating drums and just making a lot of noise. But this is a special moment and to know that a Jamaican has done this and I am the father of that Jamaican makes me feel special.

“I never expected him to break the world record, but I am proud of my son.”

Bolt senior said he sympathised with compatriot Asafa Powell who finished a disappointing fifth.

“That was surprising to me. I really feel it for Asafa because I felt that he should have performed better,” he said.

Bolt’s sister Sherine said she knew he would break the world record.

“I expected my brother to win the race and I told my daddy last night that he would do 9.68 seconds. He didn’t quite do that, but I am happy still,” Sherine said. (Editing by Robert Woodward)
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
:rotfl: Bakes!! Yuh eh playing yuh damn idle, nah!! :rotfl:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Forum needed some levity man...

But ah cyah take no credit... ah see dat on ah next site and nearly dead.  Ah say some ah allyuh deserve de same ting too  ;D

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Me eh know what yuh put dat small disclaimer for
I wanted to see who woulda get vex and take de chain
Ed Zachery
de place quiet quiet ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
OKaaaaay! A pardner now call me pissed off because one of our local radio station just carried this story as factual news. I had to spend a few minutes to calm his nerves and convince him it was just an internet joke :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
aye Bakes, I jez heard that the powers that be in de IOC, IAAF and WADA, after hearing that Bolt was "running on Reggae", said that they would "ban this substance" if it was proven to give Bolt an unfair advantage.

allya tek ah small chain up dis saturday mornin ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>