March 28, 2024, 03:40:09 AM

Author Topic: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread  (Read 15919 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »
The recent success of trini track team has to do  with the recent inspiration and guidance Ato gave back to the Track  program in TnT.  Especially, Richard Thompson.  All jealous cowards and bad minding people sitting behind a computer screen use the power of free speech over the internet to spread evil.   Ato privaleged photos hangs in my high-school Jamaica High School in NY,  an Olympic medalist, a primetime TV sports analyst, has a stadium named after him, a political leader, a socawarrior.net forum member, and the FUTURE  President of the Trinidad & Tobago Track & Field community.  Many envy those and try to bring him down instead of following his example to better themselves.  All Ato should say to all the haters that you wont win and he never scared
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=celnTedKAb4

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
Ah hope man like Brown and dem humble deyself and start to accept his guidance.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
I dunno how much praise and credit he truly deserves, but he is doing a lot that many aren't even aware of.  It's not all about self-promotion as some have insinuated, and all you have to do is talk to the other athletes and they'll tell you that.  Big up Ato in truth... I started posting this last night but then I deleted it... I really don't think this controversy will die down unless you have a chance to speak to the Jamaican people directly.  Not that you should chase dat, but if the opportunity presents itself...

That said, I think this incident just provided an opportunity for something that was festering just beneath the surface to come to the fore.  I won't give name to it, because frankly I think it may be any number of related things... and all of them personal.  So to a certain extent no amount of long talk or explanation will quiet some of your detractors.  All I can do is encourage you to continuing focusing on your job/career... and on the tremendous work you're doing privately.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:41:18 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:30:16 PM »

If not, then there's another generation right behind them in need of that guidance... Quow, Callender, Armstrong et al.

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »

If not, then there's another generation right behind them in need of that guidance... Quow, Callender,
et al.

too old ;D
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
Sincere thanks.

A very good point is raised. The People in TNT and JAM didn't suddenly wake up and say we hate him or this and that....that was clearly there before, and they have been given a reason. I wish them the best in getting it all out now, because I been dealin' with this kind of stuff since I was 18. I 2009 I'll be 36.

I right here.  ;)

A woman wrote in to the Express that I am an 'embarrassment to the country'.  If that is the case then we really gone thru.

Imagine a man like Paul Richards putting my name in he mouth. Few people disgust me more.

Same ass who knows nothing about anything, especially sports, who was talking in 2005 when the trials times debacle occurred - another time I was public enemy #1 for "hating" on the young men (not giving a professional opinion) - except that save for Burns (this year) not a man ent see them times again. In 3 years Amazing ent.

As for Anil and Fazeer, I realize today there is nothing left to say, so this wil be it.

People don't get it and I not letting more b.s overshadow my work or my dreams coming true. Anil and Fazeer know nothing about being Olympians - nothing - about what this stage is and what it means. Fazeer in particlaur thinks because it's on his TV set he knows it. He doesn't - just like many, he just doesn't 'get it'.   This is so much bigger than some man from JAMDOWN.  Fazeer's whole theory is that no one should tell us Caribbean people how to behave - Rogge, Boldon et al.  Brilliant. That is as far from what I said as can be possible.

Rogge - a man with that much power didn't wake up one day and decide to pick on the man who has made his games great - Bolt - he did it because he UNDERSTANDS that this is sacred ground that he has to defend, whether that registers or not with everyone. 

This stage here is not Europe, not some invitational - and is not even world champs. I 'buried' a British runner Rooney today for mocking a Jamaican relay team in the men's 4x400 - uncalled for and doesn't belong here.

I will just ask this.

Would you behave the same way in church as you would anywhere else?

This is our holy grail, our Mecca, and ask anyone coming with the ignorant "Ato used to show off too" to show you anytime at any Olympics that I was in any way anything but reverent.

TNT track is on the upswing, and I will not let it fall back to where we have come from. Not on my watch. Change is coming.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:15:46 PM »
The level of respect that you show your opponents should be the same at any meet whether it is in the olympics, world championships or hampton games.
Meets besides the Olympics are not exempt from gentlemanly behaviour.

P.S.
Thanks Ato for all the years at the top.
Yuhz still a hero.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
Ato, I wanna congratulate you on the great job you did as the track analyst for NBC this Olympics. In my mind, you have emerged as one of the premier if not THE premier track broadcasting analyst.

You look real smart on almost all your predictions/speculation and how you break down the race was superb. Noticing the hitch in Allison Felix's runs through the runs was real good because it make you look good when Campbell-Brown beat her in the 200. Many good insights and I was proud a trini mashing up in the broadcast booth too ;D

Hopefully Trinidad will benefit from and appreciate your great track IQ for years to come

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
Ato,
       Good job. No apologies, period.!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
Ato
I don't agree with you  on this one (Bolt's celebration) but I do see where you are coming from. So cool.
On another topic. I always call Brown, Burns, Thompson, Quow etc ..."The Children of Ato"
because you are the one who almost singlehandidly resurrected Track and Field in TnT with your success on the track. You made a whole generation of TnT athletes say (to borrow a phrase from Obama )...."YES, WE CAN"
Thanks Ato we still reaping what you sow.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
This debate could rage on and on because they are two different and conflicting schools of thought; neither of which is more correct than the other.  I still wholly disagree with Ato, but I respect that it is his and others' point of view.

I agree with what someone put forward, that it seems some have used this whole saga as a vehicle to express whatever personal grouses or agendas they been harboring. Some of the stuff I've seen and heard was really low. I don't mind yuh attack ah opinion, but the attacks on the individual were unwarranted.

Now its really time to draw a line under this whole thing and move forward. All this firefighting on this and other forums, on facebook and the rest of the www not doing ah damn thing besides adding more fuel to a topic thats already gone past its sell by date. Why you persisting with the answering back??

Forget these rabble rousing DJs with their mindless followers who harp on their every word like rats behind a pied piper. The same fools who talking accent talk, yet try hard to sound jamaican or american every day of the week. These uninformed fools like Paul Richards, feel that having a mike in their hand makes them experts on every topic known to man. Forget the same journalists who take license to wax lyrical on topics without even the basic required research. Men who talk cricket all their life and now getting a serious gig on other sports. Just forget them and move on.. Stop throwing pearls among swine..

I've repeated many times on this forum over the years that we Trinidadians don't know how to celebrate our heroes, only how to pull them down. Ato, Yorke, Lara, Stern, Shaka is de same blasted thing. And at the end of the day is just a mentality and small mindedness that seems to be inherent in our psyche. Even for the normal man in the street trying to step outside the box and move ahead; is always ah fight-down and ah pull-down.. Is only when yuh step outside the environment then step back in that yuh could appreciate it.  That could be a whole new topic of discussion.

I think you should just turn a blind eye to the small minded nonsense and go on doing the excellent job you're doing.

You make us proud doing what you doing, and rest assured you'll be a legend now while you here and long after you gone.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »
From the Guardian Letters.

Trinidad fortunate to see our Olympic athletes live

This is a reply to Noel Kalicharan and Shandy Sawh:

You are fortunate back home to see our local athletes. In Orlando we get the main feed from the NBC and there are no Trinis in it. We get to see our athletes only if an American is competing. So count your blessings and enjoy.

I have to go to the Internet to see the results for our athletes.

As for those people criticising Ato, please, get real. Michael Johnson, who is a great American icon, is doing colour for the BBC and our boy got the best gig and you people are talking about his accent?

You should all feel proud to be Trinis since a Trini is the face of athletics.

Wazir Mohammed

Orlando

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
TV Sports
A Detail-Oriented Voice for an Overlooked Sport
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Published: August 22, 2008

Ato Boldon, the NBC track analyst, was not alone when he faulted Usain Bolt for celebrating before the end of his gold-medal-winning, world-record 100-meter sprint.

“But right now I’m the most hated man in the Caribbean,” he said by telephone from Beijing on Friday morning. “I did an interview with Bob Costas and I said that I celebrated with the best of them, but I just wanted to see Bolt go through the line.”

He said his words outraged track fans in Jamaica, Bolt’s homeland, coming as they did from a former track star from Trinidad and Tobago. “Here I was, a Trinidadian on an American network criticizing their most famous son. A day later, Frankie Fredericks said the same thing and the I.O.C. said the same thing. But it was too late.”

In his homeland, people were not thrilled by his remarks or that he uses what he calls his “fake Yankee accent” on NBC.

“I can’t win with my people,” he said. “I called Bolt the athlete of the Games, meaning track and field. He hasn’t done what Phelps did.”

Boldon, 34, has emerged as one of NBC’s best analysts, a blend of athletic smarts (he won one silver and three bronze medals in the 100 and 200 meters at the 1996 and 2000 Games), charisma, precise analysis and brashness — his Web site, atoboldon.com, demonstrates no lack of self-esteem.

And he knows what he does not know. To call the men’s 400-meter hurdles, he consulted with Kevin Young, the world-record holder, who correctly predicted that Angelo Taylor would win. To prepare for the 110-meter hurdles, he exchanged e-mail messages with Allen Johnson, who won the Olympic gold medal in Atlanta.

“I’m into details because I’m obsessive-compulsive,” he said. “But with regard to lanes, it’s one of the nuances of the sport that I can share. If you’re watching the 200, there’s a reason why the guy in Lane 2 has no chance, or the woman in Lane 9 in the 200 has to run like a bat out of hell to win.”

Craig Silver, the CBS producer who hired him to call the N.C.A.A. championships in 2005, said: “He’s very astute, very bright, and does his homework. He’s not just saying stuff. We’re both track geeks, so we’re always texting each other about what’s happening.”

For nongeeks, Boldon appears to have emerged from nowhere to appear on NBC, partly because track is a TV orphan in America, and was before the sport’s drug scandals.

He has worked for the BBC and Fox Sports, and started with NBC in 2007. Like other track commentators, he is a free agent. In June, he called the Reebok Grand Prix on CBS from Randalls Island (on tape delay from the previous day). There, Bolt set his previous 100-meter world record, of 9.72, in only his fifth attempt at that distance.

“I never thought this was something I would do when I retired,” he said. “Back in 1995, my ex-wife, just from being around me and listening to me talk about sports, said TV would be my future. I said, ‘No way.’ ” About a decade later, Boldon saw Peter Diamond, an NBC Olympics senior vice president, and said that he told him, “You have to hire me.”

Boldon leaves no room to doubt his admiration for Bolt.

“There’s nothing like Bolt,” he said. “Come on, he could be the starting point guard on the Redeem team. That’s why the track and field has such adulation for him.”

Fans are ultrasensitive to slights to their heroes, however minor. When Bolt crossed the line, Boldon praised his 100-meter time of 9.69. “The 100 meters is run in a straight line, but he just turned the corner and the line starts behind him,” he said. (Nice!)

On replay, he said: “Once his superior top-end speed comes out, he leads the world and it’s not even close.” (Nicer!) Then, he said that if Bolt had not started his happy dance 15 meters before the end, his time might have been 9.59. (Praise, if taken the right way.)

The 9.59 was not a precise calculation but one based on experience.

“From years of shutting down early myself, I saw how far back he started to decelerate,” he said. “He really started at about 78 meters and there was a massive deceleration with 12 meters left. So it’s an estimate of how much he gave back.”

He could not have offended Jamaicans — or Trinidadians — with his assessment of Bolt’s gold-medal win in the 200 meters in just 19.30 seconds. “The record I thought would be the record when I died is history,” he said. (Were Jamaicans listening?)

Somehow Boldon has a blind spot: performance-enhancing drugs.

“I was never suspicious, even at the height of the Balco stuff,” he said. “My teammate, Inger Miller, who ran against Marion Jones, accused her of doing all sorts of things, but I said, ‘No, she’s a prodigy.’ I’m an eternal optimist on my sport, but that’s souring a bit now. I don’t want to look at someone and say, ‘Oh yeah, that’s one.’ ”

E-mail: sportsbiz@nytimes.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 10:51:51 PM »
Wow.

Richard Sandomir is a very fair guy... always enjoy his columns.  Nice to see him get Ato's back here.

Offline QR20DET

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »
ok, so the thing pass....

I have a question tho that I want ATO to answer....This is my question and i see you answer here so this will be the only place i could ask you cause me and you never pitch marble and is not like we go lime when you come home.

Ato, why do you speak in such a strong american accent on NBC, but when you come here online you speak trini, or when you are in Trinidad physically in public forums you speak good english in a trinidadian accent. Now I wonderin about this for a while eh, i not begrudgin you, is your perrogative. Is just that i hearin all kinda thing bout people wouldnt understand if yuh talk proper english with a trinidadian accent, but I have an aunt workin and livin in the states for over 35 years and she has never once had to change her accent. She just speaks slower and pronounces her words better, which makes it much easier for them to understand, but she has never changed her accent...shakka hislop does commentary for Fox sports and he sounds more trini than english on TV (in my opinion) and he was born over there.
As i say, this is just something that i always wondered. I THINK i know the answer and some of your resoning but I want to hear it from you without putting it out there first.

thanks
QR20DET

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 08:44:33 AM »
While we asking Ato questions, here are some of mine:

1) Why is Lane 1 always empty in these games?
2) How long will it be before a HUGE name is disqualified from a high profile race (with respect to Jon Drummond, I mean HUGE name) by the STUPID rule of the first false start being attributed to the field rather than the guilty athlete?
3) Apparently there is some "inside story" as to why Michael Johnson is commentating for the BBC and not in the US. Can you shed any light?

Thanks.  :beermug:

Oh, and I thought this line was really funny

his Web site, atoboldon.com, demonstrates no lack of self-esteem

:rotfl:

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:28 AM »
Could it be that Ato speaks the way he does becasue of his audience?

Could it be that he speaks the way he does becasue he has lived here in the US since childhood?

Maybe he should have spoken with a Jamaican twang, since his mother is Jamaican?

Maybe it is his choice?

Personally, I find his commentary, analysis and race calling to be far superior to ANY that I have ever heard!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 09:02:54 AM »
Like i said in another thread, the end point is to communicate with your audience...Ato is speaking to a Global audience...how may of his listeners will understand the trini dialect?.. most foreigners consider our dialect a different language...

Offline QR20DET

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »
^
^
to all the ato impersonators, please do not tote feelins on behalf of the man, i ask a simple question that I wanted HIM to answer because i wanted to know if MY reasoning was right. Please read the ENTIRE question before trippin out. You would realise there was no malice in teh question

mmkthnxbai!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
mmkthnxbai!!!
Bless You
take some tylenol fa dat eh ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline QR20DET

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 09:43:47 AM »
lol

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »
Ato sweetie, I have found that the best way to shut people up, the best way to get some payback, is to just succeed. Greatly. So you go out there and do just that. I suspect where you are heading, and can promise you that in a few years these same critics will scamble over each other to get an opportunity just to see you, and will be busy trying to show off their minute connections to you, whether real or perceived.

And for those who don't get the accent thing, you need to check out Sir Trevor McDonald. He is THE most revered journalist/TV presenter in the UK. He is ALWAYS referred to as a national institution. He speaks with the same accent, tone and inflection as the british aristocracy. He has tried to retire from newscasting twice in the last five years and each time has been begged to come back, because as far as the public is concerned he IS the news at ten. And most of the UK has no clue that this man was born and spent the first 30-something years of his life in Trinidad. And most Trinidadians pay him no mind whatsoever and don't acknowledge him or his achievements. At the end of the day this is where his career was going to be made, this is the audience he was trying to connect with. I can assure you that for a black immigrant from the caribbean to be the journalistic pioneer in so many areas and most beloved newscaster of the Queen, he would never have gotten there using a Trini accent. Even slowing it down and "talking proper english" lol
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »
Personally, I find his commentary, analysis and race calling to be far superior to ANY that I have ever heard!
Well said
I ent goin an "throw out the baby with the bath water"
I personally think that Usain was just Damn Happy to win

RTG, check a couple links here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Mcdonald
http://www.100greatblackbritons.com/bios/trevor_macdonald.html
Check this quote
"Once viewed as the best-spoken person in the country and was reported to have fronted a two-year inquiry into the state of language learning. It warned that government education policy failed to teach pupils the necessary language skills needed for later life. "
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:54:47 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline QR20DET

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:32 AM »
Will the real ATO BOLDON please stand up, please stand up, please stand up???

De man commentary bess, NOBODY could deny it!!  Anil roberts had say none of them "big" commentators that gettin money had notice that bolt had run the 200 into a .9m/s head wind. He was wrong, guess who noticed it FIRST...ATO. Just anil roberts had the CMC feed and didnt hear ato and them commentar on NBC in de night.
ANYWAY..
i just want to hear the reasonin bout the accent from him and not a bag of people who have they own explanation. But like ato have body guards here and nobody could ask him anything unless it have some sort of "ato you are the best thing ever" twang in it.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »

De man commentary bess, NOBODY could deny it!!  Anil roberts had say none of them "big" commentators that gettin money had notice that bolt had run the 200 into a .9m/s head wind. He was wrong, guess who noticed it FIRST...ATO. Just anil roberts had the CMC feed and didnt hear ato and them commentar on NBC in de night.
ANYWAY..
i just want to hear the reasonin bout the accent from him and not a bag of people who have they own explanation. But like ato have body guards here and nobody could ask him anything unless it have some sort of "ato you are the best thing ever" twang in it.

What would be the purpose of responding? Is it that you can declare yourself more Trinbagonian than him? Waswte of time, pardnah. Just exhale and let it go!! :angel:
Live large and prosper!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
ANYWAY..
So leh meh ask you something
Where are you living and making your livelihood, QR20DET?
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »

Ato yuh let mih down.
Yuh shoulda run for Prime Minister
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline QR20DET

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »
^^^
^^
WHAT??

like alyuh have selective readin and pickin what alyuh want to see from my post or what...AH NOT BERATIN THE MAN  ;D

WestCoast: I live in my car in togo and it has a very fast QR20DET engine in it, 500 hp on stock internals...22lbs of boost.  I was able to support this car by pickin up bottles. ::)

I get your point, but do you get mine at all? If yuh don't please re-read my post with the question sllllllooooowwwwwlllllyyyyyy.
to de man that want to know if i want to find out if i more trinbagonian than him...i know you aint CANNOT be serious so i ent go answer that.

mmmkthnxbai!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:34:18 AM by QR20DET »

TrinInfinite

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:18 AM »
after God

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 10:42:27 AM »

ANYWAY..

You choose ah appreciation thread to come ask de man some "Express Woman" questions hoss?

I surprise yuh ent ask him if is boxer or briefs or if he does floss every night.

...steups

1]; } ?>