March 29, 2024, 05:36:33 AM

Author Topic: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread  (Read 15929 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2021, 04:40:17 AM »
I can't remember Ato running for TT at Carifta. I am being honest. If I am wrong correct me please. I only know about Ato, when by chance I read that TT Ato Bolden won the world Junior TT gold in 100 and 200. It was real magic. Out of nowhere Ato brought glory to TT.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2021, 09:06:02 AM »
Never ran Carifta.

Truth is that most countries' junior medalists don't really transition well (nature of the sport) but we in TTO also have this thing where even our seniors get 1 individual medal...and then never medal individually again.That is a lot harder to explain. Go back to our earliest days and with one or two exceptions, EVERYONE has one global individual medal.

Keshorn has bucked that trend getting 2 Olympic medals in successive games.

Some have said it's complacency, but I could argue it's not easy at all to be on world or Olympic podiums.

Most distressing to me is that we STILL have never won an Olympic medal on the women's side. I'd say Tyra Gittens looks like she will be the first - in the heptathlon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 09:09:25 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »
Yeah I know you never ran Carifta. That's why I only mentioned WJs.

I read that Tobago has a girl.. either 15 or 16. She was supposed to run WJs. But pandemic messed up her training. Didn't get the standard. But I heard she is a talent. Forget her name.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »
Yeah? I hope so - where are all our talented sprinting youngsters, especially the females?

The system is so shitty now that they are never heard from again. It's bad enough that we are still asking our aging veterans to go one more rounds, but there is NOTHING in the pipeline! People ask me why I don't get involved and I say ok - to coach who?
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »
Yeah? I hope so - where are all our talented sprinting youngsters, especially the females?

The system is so shitty now that they are never heard from again. It's bad enough that we are still asking our aging veterans to go one more rounds, but there is NOTHING in the pipeline! People ask me why I don't get involved and I say ok - to coach who?

Ato, I feel your pain!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2021, 05:23:54 AM »

Ato you need to make another bold public prediction of 0 medals for T&T in 2024 so the country know where you stand from now  :D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2022, 04:29:37 PM »
As everyone in here knows, we can be very funny when it comes to public criticism and I tried in vain since 2016 to alert and warn and explain that the "do it as we always have, and hope for the best" path was going to eventually leave us in tatters - so where are we now as "worlds" starts next week?

ZERO 4x100m relays qualified, male or female.
ZERO realistic medal chances on the track, in any event (and TBH it's not really close)
ZERO world championship medals since 2017
ZERO Olympic medals since our 1 in Rio

and the worst part

ZERO juniors looking like they are ready to step up and be pros. Our college athletes have disappeared, for the most part.

So after all the warnings, back and forth talk, then the customary "fight-down" of the messenger, they still ran the ship into the iceberg, especially with the sprint relays which went from gold in 08 and bronze in 2015 (women) to lane fillers in 2021

Now, we pay the price, while they (admins) are long gone.

If someone asked me, I'd say the drought between '76-95 of no track and field medals at worlds or Olympics looks likely to repeat itself now. If TTO track and field was a stock, you'd be offloading it.

Meanwhile, Grenada will likely get TWO medals in Oregon (400m, JT)

We shall see.

I welcome any counter to this opinion. I'd gladly be swayed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:12:01 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2022, 08:27:52 PM »
Walcott ? :praying:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2022, 02:49:09 PM »
Sure. That's an event where anything can happen, and he's come good twice, both in Olympics. Never worlds. Didn't make the final in Olympics last year - but that's why I said zero chance TRACK, and not FIELD - our outside chance for track is Jereem, but that M200m event is basically for one medal - Lyles and Knighton not beatable except by each other, this year.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »
Yeah things aren't looking too promising. What can we do though.

Any news on Kelly Ann? Has she retired? Zakiya Denoon was looking good at LSU she has a very smooth, elegant technique. Not sure what happened if she got injured during her senior year. Jenea Spinks I'm not sure what happened. So many athletes we don't hear from anymore.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2022, 03:13:35 PM »
Ato, same trend happening in our football.

Something you always talked about was consistency. Becoming a nation of one medal wonders.

What's the word with Cedenio? He not even in the 4x400m team.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2022, 03:14:54 PM »
Kelly Ann retired. I believe Semoy too.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
Quote from: gawd on pitch link=topic ;D=38330.msg1004357#msg1004357 date=1657487615
Ato, same trend happening in our football.

Something you always talked about was consistency. Becoming a nation of one medal wonders.

What's the word with Cedenio? He not even in the 4x400m team.

So what’s Canada trending issues?  ;D

1]; } ?>