March 28, 2024, 06:32:52 AM

Author Topic: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread  (Read 15922 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: The official thanks & praise Ato Boldon thread
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
WestCoast: I live in my car in togo and it has a very fast QR20DET engine in it, 500 hp on stock internals...22lbs of boost.  I was able to support this car by pickin up bottles. ::)
ya know, I caught ah hint of ah  "Tobago love" twang in your on screen accent :devil:
wait is togo ya say dere ;D

an IF :D I had a high performance car, my engine would be ah GT500 with a 428-in³ (7 L) big-block V8 :rotfl:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:52:20 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 12:20:43 PM »
My Bredrin works on one of those Disney Cruise ships and he says basically we talk english with the same speed that you hear them venes talking spainish then he gave me an example of how he talks on the ship REAL yank thing without even adding an accent just slowing down his speed on stress points in the words. Which to me sounded like fresh water, Ato does sound trini to me but he just slightly enunciates differently so that the stress points in the words don't come off too fast having that sing-song effect that they say trinis have we sound like we singing all the time.
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
like all your cousins and nen nen who go away for a month and come back with an accent! 
Ato, back in the day, fellas used to go to Chargaramus and come out speakin yankee ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 07:48:44 AM »
Ato I feel that at some point yuh will have to stop respondin to all dese little tings.
It sound like yuh takin it on too much.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 08:06:33 AM »
Yuh right Peong. I hear yuh.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2020, 09:00:51 AM »
Ato voices concern for athletes’ mental state
NARISSA FRASER (NEWSDAY).

FOUR-time T&T Olympic medallist Ato Boldon says while physical training will undoubtedly be affected for athletes who were preparing for the 2020 Olympic Games, he is also concerned about their mental wellness.

Boldon, who is also a sprint coach and NBC sports analyst, was speaking on sports broadcast producer Don Cardona’s Sports in the Making podcast on Thursday. Cardona has worked with companies such as ESPN and NBC Sports.

When discussing the postponement of the Olympics to 2021 because of the covid19 pandemic, Boldon said it was not just the “right” move but “the only move.

“When you see countries like Canada and Australia pull out and say, ‘You know what? No matter if they’re having the Olympics or not, we are not subjecting our athletes to what could be possibly waiting in Tokyo, Japan.’”

Asked how such a change will affect athletes, Boldon said while he had never experienced anything like this during his athletic career, he believes a mental adjustment would have to be made.

“All of them just kinda said, ‘Okay, the work that I would have done since the fall is all pretty much gonna go away’.

“Everybody was laser-focused on being ready for something…I think the limbo is the hardest thing for a lot of these athletes, because Olympic athletes only know one speed, and that is, crank it. And right now, they can’t really crank it, because they’re not trying to be in the best shape of their lives in September. So I think that’s gonna be the hardest part for all of them.”

Cardona likened the situation to a record becoming scratched and disrupting the steady flow of music it once created.

Asked how he would help athletes to get through the next year, Boldon said, “The part that I’m worried about is athletes who would have spent an entire year not being in peak physical condition.

“That, to me, is the bigger situation, where I’m looking at my athlete and saying, ‘Okay, so she didn’t have a complete 2019 (season), and she only had an indoor season in 2020, and then she’s gonna be asked to ramp it up for 2021’. That, to me, is the tougher part.

“A lot of coaches are thinking it but they aren’t saying it. That is the real challenge.”

The two also discussed Boldon’s life, hobbies and athletic career, among other things.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2020, 01:06:26 AM »
This may be good:

Jereem “The Dream” Richards, Jehue Gordon, Jamaal James and Zwede Hewitt are keen to make a difference in the lives of young athletes, and have masterminded an online programme, “Athlete Talks”, designed to achieve that goal.

Each of the four athletes has competed with distinction for Trinidad and Tobago, and wants to give back to the Red, White and Black.

Twenty-eight-year-old Gordon is the 2013 men’s 400 metres hurdles world champion, and has three national records to his name. Richards, 26, is the 2017 IAAF World Championship men’s 200m bronze medallist.

He is also the national indoor record holder in the 200, and shares in the T&T outdoor and indoor 4x400 records.

Both Gordon and Richards plan to compete at next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan. James, 31, is the national junior record holder in the 800m. He retired from track and field in 2018, but remains heavily involved in the sport as a coach.

Hewitt, 30, who shares in the national junior 4x400m record, is also retired from track and field.

He has transitioned to technology, and has developed a network sharing app, LUHU (Let Us Help U), which has caught the attention of international investors.

Hewitt explained the genesis of “Athlete Talks”, which is set to be launched at 8 p.m. tomorrow on the popular Zoom platform.

“It’s a virtual discussion,” Hewitt told the Express, “between a group of national athletes who’ve dedicated their lives to representing Trinidad and Tobago internationally with great success. Our intention is to share some of the details of our respective journeys to inspire young people during this unprecedented Covid-19 lockdown.

“The idea was born out of trying to find ways to contribute positively to Trinidad and Tobago and the world at large during the pandemic. Jereem, Jamaal and I speak to each other to get ideas off the ground. Usually, I would reach out to Jereem if I have an idea, and if he has an idea he would bounce it off of me.”

Hewitt said the healthy exchange proved to be highly productive.

“It started off with me, Jereem and Jamaal bouncing ideas off each other, but also bouncing insight and experience off each other to aid each other. And then we realised that among the three of us, we had enough knowledge, advice, expertise to help each other, so we decided that this could be something where we could spread this knowledge and insight to the masses.

“That’s where Jehue came on board,” Hewitt continued, “in terms of testing the idea. He liked it, and that proved to us there is value in the knowledge we have, how we can share it among each other, and how we could learn from each other as well. That’s how the idea came about, and we decided to spread it to the masses to help people.”

Though Richards, Gordon, James and Hewitt are all young men, ranging in age between 26 and 31, they are very focused on being shining examples.

“We would love for everyone who views the webcast,” said Hewitt, “especially young people and athletes, to leave the meeting inspired and motivated to confront life’s challenges and with a newfound respect for some of the challenges elite athletes face.

“Between us, we have at least eight national records and are all holders of degrees from prestigious universities. We would love to let young people know that balance is important and there is life after track. So, join us at eight on Wednesday night at www.zoom.us (ID: 833 0815 2427).

“There may only be room for 300 people,” Hewitt ended, “so be early!”
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
Hello Ato, Happy New Year. This covid is making everything of importance appear insignificant. What do You think will happen for the Olympics. You still think it going to happen. Also what do you think about Devonta Smith, the WR and Heisman winner from Alabama. You think the US TF will encourage him to look at the Olympic trials. This guy has unbelievable speed and jumping ability. Stay safe, God Bless.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 12:52:02 AM »
Yes, I think they will happen, but I'm only 60% sure about it.

20 billion reasons why.

Devonta Smith has run his last track meet. NFL money is too alluring, and he was actually just OK in high school. He wasn't Olympic level. He is much better at football.

I don't foresee any TTO Olympic medals in Tokyo, unfortunately.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2021, 02:43:15 AM »
It's shocking that a country that is humungous in track (Jamaica) could hire our very own to coach them and in T&T we ignore and discard our heroes. Ato should be coaching T&T and also run the entire track association instead of that deadbeat Brian Lewis, no doubt about that !!!!

Briana Williams hits the track next weekend
BY PAUL A REID
Observer writer

World Athletics Under-20 double sprint gold medallist Briana Williams has been chomping at the bit to start her competitive season and Coach Ato Boldon says she will get going next weekend at the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix that will be held at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Staten Island, New York.

The meet is usually held at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, but was shifted this year out of concerns over the novel coronavirus pandemic. Williams says she can't wait to get going.

“I am really excited and also grateful to be able to run in this meet,” Williams said recently. “I have been eager to run, and I have been seeing everyone doing well so far indoors and wanted to give it another try.”

Like most athletes who have been sidelined because of the pandemic, Williams can't wait to get going. “I am going into the race happy and prepared and I just hope to do my best; I feel strong and in shape, and just can't wait to see the time that I will do and I just hope that I will do well.”

Boldon, who has conditioned the athlete all her career, bemoaned the delayed start of the season, and said he would have preferred, all things being equal, that she had started racing already. “She has been begging me to get out of training and into some competitions, but between COVID and the mishap in Freeport, Bahamas, [in December] it just did not work out.”

Williams was scheduled to race at a meet in The Bahamas in late December, but the meet was eventually cancelled as many of the athletes did not show up.

Boldon said Williams was ready to run and might just be ahead of where she was this time last year. “She's ready, she is about as ready as she was last season,” he said. “She opened with 7.2 seconds and then started to get consistent at 7.1. I think she is a little bit ahead of last year, she is in better shape and a little stronger.”

While Williams is eager to see what time she will run, the coach says getting back into the starting blocks is more important for him. “Not really a lot of expectations going into her first race,” he said, “because the truth is it is a lot more important to just get her out of training and back on the horse, so to speak; she is very excited for it and we look forward to a good indoor season that sort of segue into a great outdoors.”

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 02:44:47 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:03 AM »
Yesterday, I caught a little of an indoor TF meet in Arkansas. I saw Sparkle McKnight fight up in the 800 ?. I think she came in 6th. As usual the JAs were very well prominent. McLeod the hurdler, is EXCEPTIONAL. but there was the women 400 .She was in a white kind of polka-dot bathing suit. Almost all her rare cheeks were exposed. I eh no prude, but she has to come better than that. I know some women will tell meto shut up, because I am preventing them from being empowered. But I could care less. Ato, as uasual, exceptional analysis. :thumbsup: Stay Safe!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:54:09 AM by Deeks »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »
Jamaica didn't hire me - and probably would never have.

To most Jamaican fans, if it's not locally grown, it's not legit, so when Briana showed up, she was seen as a nice addition to their future stable  - but never a featured player.

Briana, being born and raised in the USA, was supposed to play Robin to Kevona Davis' Batman (the only Jamaican junior she's ever lost to, back in 2017, who is now at U of Texas)

Briana just happened to win all the titles and break all the existing 100/200 u-18/u-20 national records, so a country with that sort of sprint acumen had no choice but to respect what she's done.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2021, 02:48:14 PM »

Ato I see one of my favourites races from you posted here ..https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago

that 98 final I remember watching from my Grandma house as if it was yesterday. good childhood memories man

I wish to see more of our young athletes with that same determination and will to win like you had throughout your career

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
Ato Sir,  I just asked a question in the Tyra Gittens thread out of curiosity regarding Non professional athletes like Tyra Gittens and their coaching going forward in a year when the college season is completed. I am interested in your input

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »
Last night I was watching the US trials for Tokyo. Man, the US has an abundance of riches. Imagine the women 200 meters had 5 heats. 40 top class women! And I am sure there are another 20 who did not make it for some reason or another.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 05:37:44 PM »
Last night I was watching the US trials for Tokyo. Man, the US has an abundance of riches. Imagine the women 200 meters had 5 heats. 40 top class women! And I am sure there are another 20 who did not make it for some reason or another.

Is this really surprising to you? really?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 09:56:50 PM »

Is this really surprising to you? really?

No. But it shows that the US is serious about it's TF. private corp. put substantial money into TF/Olympic programs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2021, 06:39:41 AM »
Sydney Ato, Sydney!!!!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2021, 02:04:12 PM »
Yeah, she is the future AND the present
BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2021, 06:29:35 PM »
In a normal year TX A&M would have sent her coach with Tyra to coach her, but I don't know how that will work this year...

The bigger issue is that Tyra will not get to compete in Tokyo in the hep, because she doesn't have the hep olympic standard and lesser athletes who are ranked higher because they weren't in college for years and have higher rankings in the World Athletics list will go ahead of her.

She has the LJ standard I believe, so she's definitely in that in Tokyo.

They have a campaign going now online to get her into the games in the hep but I can't touch that - the rules are the rules. People telling me to "do it for my country-woman" as if a. I have that power or b. that wouldn't be biased and shady, since she is from TTO.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2021, 08:27:10 AM »
Well Ato if Richardson is not allowed to run on America 4x1 relay team due to the weed failed test that means T&T chances of medalling in that relay just became better. Your NO medal prediction is under more threat now  :D

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2021, 01:00:00 PM »
The US has depth. They can pull some 200m women to make up for Shacarri and still get a medal.

I read that Tyra may be able to do the heptathlon if her current ranking/points stays within the top 24 from 2019 onwards. Last I checked she was #5 or 6 in 2021.. and is currently holding a spot in the 24.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2021, 01:22:42 PM »
If ShaCarri is not part of the relay team the US is less stronger and more vulnerable. Emphasis on less stronger. Better chance for TnT to medal. That is the reality

As for Tyra Gittens it is asking a lot for a college athlete to come out of an entire college season and medal at an Olympics same year against world class pros.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2021, 01:46:45 PM »
I think that is a leap. Other than MLA and KAB, the other runners not even making the Olympic standard this year. KSF is far from where she should be. SH hasnt run sub 23 in years. RT, KS and KD are not performing their best either. They all have potential. But their training has been stymied by the Covid..

There are about 4 to 6 teams ahead of the TNT women's team:

JA
USA
GB
GER
SUI
NED

For TT to medal, those women who don't have the Olympic standard, will need to step up big time.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »
Someone who not in fantasy land is back to have a real discussion. That women's relay stopped being a threat in 2016. 5 years ago. And yes, the parts are not anywhere close to what they were so there isn't enough weed in America to help that.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2021, 01:38:10 AM »
Someone who not in fantasy land is back to have a real discussion. That women's relay stopped being a threat in 2016. 5 years ago. And yes, the parts are not anywhere close to what they were so there isn't enough weed in America to help that.

Maybe in fantasy land after taking that hydrochlorothiazide that was given to your Briana Williams... :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 02:12:02 AM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2021, 02:53:47 AM »
I am surprised ShaCarri fell into that trap. Yes, she is young and it appears, to me, that peer pressure and her gullibility may have caused her to do it. How on earth a top athlete don't know the illegal substances that you are not supposed to use. Ganja may be legal in some states, but on the federal it is still illegal. Come thru any international airport smelling of ganja and see if they doh jack you up and search parts of your body you don't know about. Her handlers failed her. Until the feds relax ganja laws, stay to f--k away from it. If she was Trini, she would never get the benefit of doubt in this case.

Should she run in the 100 ? She should because I don't think ganja gave her the edge. But then all the other substances takers of the past will cry foul.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 03:06:23 AM by Deeks »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2021, 03:31:59 AM »
I am surprised ShaCarri fell into that trap. Yes, she is young and it appears, to me, that peer pressure and her gullibility may have caused her to do it. How on earth a top athlete don't know the illegal substances that you are not supposed to use. Ganja may be legal in some states, but on the federal it is still illegal. Come thru any international airport smelling of ganja and see if they doh jack you up and search parts of your body you don't know about. Her handlers failed her. Until the feds relax ganja laws, stay to f--k away from it. If she was Trini, she would never get the benefit of doubt in this case.

Should she run in the 100 ? She should because I don't think ganja gave her the edge. But then all the other substances takers of the past will cry foul.

Just another young duncy head American athlete. Who smokes weed right before US trials knowing you will get tested and jeopardise your chances of running in the Olympics? Maybe a dunce who does not know weed stays in their system for 30 days. Let Ato come and defend her...  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/CaribShowBiz/photos/a.581999751818365/4440257502659218

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »
So Ato what really going on? You have a lot of access to resources and other things to give direction and improve TT track and field. Why them guys who running the NAAA not reaching out to you?

The NAAA seem like they doing guess work.

Ato what if you can sum it up in a sentence or two, why do all of our WJ medallist never make a good transition into senior? Even if they medal as a senior. There are never multiple medals.. with the exception of Walcott. I can name about 8 TT athletes who won medals on the junior level:

- Khalifa S
- Renny Q
- Darrel B
- Keshorn W
- Janelle B
- Machel C
- Jehue G
- you
- Rhonda W

Then when they transition to senior, only five have medalled - Renny Q, Jehue G, Keshorn W, Darrel B and of course you. This tells me the talent is there. But what is really happening. Is this just bad choices made by the athletes and Management?

You always pointed this out. It wasn't until I seen Jehue slowly decline, is when I realized your theory was 100%

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:22:04 AM by gawd on pitch »

1]; } ?>