March 28, 2024, 06:02:50 AM

Author Topic: Was Point Fortin Civic Centre the best?  (Read 12847 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was Point Fortin Civic Centre the best?
« on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:24 PM »
Fellas who was around at de time. How would you rank the Point Civic Centre team that contained the likes of Steve David, Warren Archibald, Leroy De Leon, Leo Brewster, Wilfred Cave, Alan Cupid, Tony Douglas, Steve Khan, the Murren brothers etc.?

Was that the best or the most entertaining local team you've seen?

How would they have fared against the Defence Force team of the 70s, or ASL of the 80s, or the latter day Jabloteh's and W-Connections?

Talk yuh talk.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Was Point Fortin Civic Centre the best?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
Fellas who was around at de time. How would you rank the Point Civic Centre team that contained the likes of Steve David, Warren Archibald, Leroy De Leon, Leo Brewster, Wilfred Cave, Alan Cupid, Tony Douglas, Steve Khan, the Murren brothers etc.?

Was that the best or the most entertaining local team you've seen?

How would they have fared against the Defence Force team of the 70s, or ASL of the 80s, or the latter day Jabloteh's and W-Connections?

Talk yuh talk.

How yuh go define "most entertainin" sah?  Daz a most subjective criteria.

But to answer you, de "most entertainin" local team I ever see is a tie.

Mucarapo Senior Comprehensive 1978

And De National U 16 team wit Latas & Marcelle dem
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
Civic Centre was always a very good team, going all the way back to the Shell days. What I liked most about them was the strong local following. It appears that the whole of Point use to back them. The people were real proud of them. Real nice. The rivalry between Point, Palo Seco, Fyzabad, Point-a-Pierre and Caroni was some of the best in TT. When a team from North go down to any of them three major grounds in the deep south, they were not always successful. I played about 3 games in Mahaica. Never won any. I did win in Palo Seco on PK.

But Regiment/Defence Force was the best. They use to go anywhere and win. Ask Coops.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:54:39 PM »
What did the point team win ? I never saw then play but heard a lot about them. For me to consider them the best they would have had to dominate, with results, at least the teams of their era...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
What did the point team win ? I never saw then play but heard a lot about them. For me to consider them the best they would have had to dominate, with results, at least the teams of their era...

Dey won de Chisholm Cup, but me eh tink dey ever win anyting big. Dais why ah also put entertaining, because some people equate "best" with "entertaining", kinda like de WC 1982 Brazil squad.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
They won SFL quite a few times. TTFA then started the Champion of Champions in the early 70's. They played in a couple. But then they run against DF jaggernaut.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »
Actually i liked the trintoc squad with leonson latas faustin jb fonrose philbert jones brian williams and these guys ....just a brilliant team with a mix of speed skill and intelligence a bomb squad

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
Yes some might ask what have Civic Centre won for people to rate them as one of the best,i can personally talk about this team because i've against them on many occasions over my career,as a matter of fact the big game in the country baring North/South etc was Defence Force vs Civic Centre,people used to leave all about to go Mahaica Oval for that game,what was good about them was the quality of players they had and the brand of Soccer they played,people always wondered how that part of the country produced such good players i still don't have the answer,although most will agree Defence Force was the best during that era there was a few very good teams Memphis,TECSA,Caroni,Palo Seco,Essex etc etc which made the quality of the games high so it was difficult for everybody.

It's difficult for me to say if Civic Centre was the best,you could have gotten a good game from any of those teams on any night,it's what brought the crowds out,the players/game.I can safely say my best games were against Civic Centre in Mahaica Oval and it was because of who i was playing against,you know your game had to raise.One thing i can say though is that they were a team regardless of what part of the country you from you just had to like them,they were a bunch of good guys,i think they will be in Brooklyn for the Labour Day weekend to play a couple games(old boys).

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:43:53 PM »
Yes some might ask what have Civic Centre won for people to rate them as one of the best,i can personally talk about this team because i've against them on many occasions over my career,as a matter of fact the big game in the country baring North/South etc was Defence Force vs Civic Centre,people used to leave all about to go Mahaica Oval for that game,what was good about them was the quality of players they had and the brand of Soccer they played,people always wondered how that part of the country produced such good players i still don't have the answer,although most will agree Defence Force was the best during that era there was a few very good teams Memphis,TECSA,Caroni,Palo Seco,Essex etc etc which made the quality of the games high so it was difficult for everybody.

It's difficult for me to say if Civic Centre was the best,you could have gotten a good game from any of those teams on any night,it's what brought the crowds out,the players/game.I can safely say my best games were against Civic Centre in Mahaica Oval and it was because of who i was playing against,you know your game had to raise.One thing i can say though is that they were a team regardless of what part of the country you from you just had to like them,they were a bunch of good guys,i think they will be in Brooklyn for the Labour Day weekend to play a couple games(old boys).

Did Civic play any foreign teams Coops ?

Offline look at ting now!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:33:41 PM »
Tallman, I saw PFCC play at the top of their game several times, and although they may not have won many silver they were the most talked about team in their era. Yes Defence Force was great but PFCC always played very exciting football. They were the team many wanted to beat and failed. I think they had some of the youngest players on their team at the time who also filled many places on the South team when the rivalry between North and South came about. I think this spoke a lot about the skill and talent of the likes of Archie, De Leon, Wilfred 'Bound to score' Cave, Dick Furlonge, hard hitting with any foot Steve David, and the others. Boss team I must say. Archie used to drop beats on man and laugh loud loud going down the wing. Only teeth showing. Great football for their time.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:28:33 AM »

Is almost like the team had too much talent but for me the most entertaining football team at that time was TECSA
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »

Did Civic play any foreign teams Coops ?
       I don't know if Observer or some of the other South men can help me here,may be they played some games but i'm not sure or can't recall,the thing is that can be said of most teams around that time besides DF and Police because of the financial constraints clubs had.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 06:44:18 AM »
i saw de leon in a point league match earlier this week,most point people know that in the past the national team majoriy was from point at a time i understand 9 players from point was on the national team.look at most teams like benedicts, w conn full of point players and their have at least 2 players on each pro league team with the exception of maybe caladoina and ma pau.we had 3 players in the 2006 world cup,3 in the u17 last year,can only think of 2 in the 2001 u17 WC but some was from palo,siparia.just as how brazil is in south america we are in trinidad other  places produce great players but we just better  ;D
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »
Second to the glamour boys- MALVERN with their cha-cha- cha- Football
Jap Brown-  Niles-- Berassa- Hodge- Franco- Eddie Hart.
I would say that Point Fortin Civic was the best Community team and Mahaica was their Fortress.

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
Civic Centre had a big name, but I believe most of their achievements took place in South.  I am not sure if Steve Khan played with them.  Steve played in San Fernando.  Once, we, Maple, played them in Point around 1973 in one of the national cup preliminary rounds.  I know we won, but I cannot remember the score.  I saw Godfrey Harris a couple years ago in New York, and he was telling me about a goal he scored in that game.  As much talent as Civic Centre had, I do not recall them winning at the national level.  Keep in mind too, many of their top players left them early to play abroad or in POS.

Trevor

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
Can't comment on de 70s, but we cut dey backside many times in de 80s in de mang, so by def. that makes us one of the best in de 80s  ;D, I'd certainly say so since apart from Army and Oilboys, we produced a healthy # of national ballers
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 10:11:22 AM »
How old were these Point boys, I was too young to see them play but it appears to me that many of them left Trinidad when they were still very young. Perhaps neither Point Fortin Civic Centre nor the National team got to see the best of these guys? Just aksing? Can any one help me here.

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 10:15:12 AM »

Is almost like the team had too much talent but for me the most entertaining football team at that time was TECSA

Ah was only waiting for somebody to say TECSA ...  :beermug: :beermug:
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
yes point fortin civic center was a very good team but like coops say back then they were a lot of very good teams and on any given night anyone could beat anyone it depended on who wanted it most. What made football great back then was the full community support that all they all enjoyed people took pride and felt good about there team win loss or draw..........I love when you guys talk about those teams I was blessed to be able to watch and play football from an early age teams like Creek he giant killers, Memphis, tesca, challengers, malvern maple, essex, point fortin civil, palo seco mayro, barataria ball players no matter where you went is was the community or village you had to beat

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
Can't comment on de 70s, but we cut dey backside many times in de 80s in de mang, so by def. that makes us one of the best in de 80s  ;D, I'd certainly say so since apart from Army and Oilboys, we produced a healthy # of national ballers
     The Civic Centre i'm talking about i don't think Ball Players played in that league at that time,Ball Players came out afterwards,why i'm saying that is because i don't remember ever playing against Ball Players,they were in another league,if Ball Players played Civic Centre it had to be after all those guys were gone.My memory not to good but could you mane some senior national players that Ball Players produced,i already know of Alaby.   

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »
     The Civic Centre i'm talking about i don't think Ball Players played in that league at that time,Ball Players came out afterwards,why i'm saying that is because i don't remember ever playing against Ball Players,they were in another league,if Ball Players played Civic Centre it had to be after all those guys were gone.My memory not to good but could you mane some senior national players that Ball Players produced,i already know of Alaby.   

Mid to late 80s Coops, they were in the same league along w/Army, Trintoc, Coffee Giants, Police, etc, several threads ago I had enquired about this.  Anyway, the other nationals (apart from Alibey) spanning a few years include Faustin, Noel, R. Charles (RIP), and others, College could help meh out w/the other names, those are the ones I recall off the top of my head
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »

Mid to late 80s Coops, they were in the same league along w/Army, Trintoc, Coffee Giants, Police, etc, several threads ago I had enquired about this.  Anyway, the other nationals (apart from Alibey) spanning a few years include Faustin, Noel, R. Charles (RIP), and others, College could help meh out w/the other names, those are the ones I recall off the top of my head
        You are correct but remember we are refering to the Civic Centre with certain players which were around at that time,the times we are refering too here were already gone,same era but different teams.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:18:59 PM by Coop's »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »
Archie, DeLeon, David, Douglas all left quite early and were never available for an extended period of time. They were dominant in SFL & SFA yes but NFL came later when zonal football was scrapped. Most of the players left for foreign by then.
Steve Khan played in San Fernando with Milan not Civic at that time period.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
Archie, DeLeon, David, Douglas all left quite early and were never available for an extended period of time. They were dominant in SFL & SFA yes but NFL came later when zonal football was scrapped. Most of the players left for foreign by then.
Steve Khan played in San Fernando with Milan not Civic at that time period.
     Exactly what i was trying to say,thanks.

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »
Another good team around that time frame was Paragon...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

You are correct but remember we are refering to the Civic Centre with certain players which were around at that time,the times we are refering too here were already gone,same era but different teams.

Hear yuh Coops, I would have liked to see dem breddas sweat...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
I have never seen PFCC play football, but I remember in T&F they had some dread sprinters and distance runners. It had a fella called Jimmy Farmer or Jimmy Joseph can't remeber which, but the man was a terror on the track.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
I have never seen PFCC play football, but I remember in T&F they had some dread sprinters and distance runners. It had a fella called Jimmy Farmer or Jimmy Joseph can't remeber which, but the man was a terror on the track.
Wasn't Jimmy 'Farmer' Joseph a boxer ?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 06:29:17 AM »
Wasn't Jimmy 'Farmer' Joseph a boxer ?

Could be, but it had a sprinter from Civic Center name Jimmy, that was blistering.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>