April 29, 2024, 12:59:30 AM

Author Topic: Bolt donates $50,000  (Read 4873 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt donates $50,000
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »
Just heard on NBC Bolt donated $50,000US to the earthquake victims in China.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:00:49 PM by royal »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt donates $50,000
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:53 PM »
Just heard Bolt donated $50,000US to the earthquake victims in China.

Seems a bit artificial... as in designed by his 'handlers' to negate some of the publicity.  That money woulda been better served in JA itself... but I ent go begrudge him nutten, $50,000 US is still $50,000 US, and a pretty darn good gesture.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:12:20 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »
I think that it is a very good gesture, if true

this organisation helps Jamaica track athletes
www.fastestnation.com
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:51:04 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »
Wow $50k US is like 400 billion $JA right?

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »
Just heard on NBC Bolt donated $50,000US to the earthquake victims in China.

NICE :beermug:

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:47:21 AM »

Seems a bit artificial... as in designed by his 'handlers' to negate some of the publicity.  That money woulda been better served in JA itself... but I ent go begrudge him nutten, $50,000 US is still $50,000 US, and a pretty darn good gesture.
Negate what publicity?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 03:58:40 AM »

Negate what publicity?

"negate some of the [negative] publicity..."

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »
you know what I say........ F@#@#$ that publicity. the man break 2 no 3 world records.he have ah right to be cookey. F@#$ the haterzzz and them

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
you know what I say........ F@#@#$ that publicity. the man break 2 no 3 world records.he have ah right to be cookey. F@#$ the haterzzz and them

i love him as a runner, thought he looked likea n idiot dancing, buh say wuh he have de goods so let him do wuh he feel.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
the publicity isn't that negative to require negating.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »

The issue was big enough that the president of the IOC saw fit to comment on it, the criticism was broadcast live to an international audience, it has been the topic of numerous mainstream articles... generated much controversy...

But then again, what I know... you're apparently inside his 'handlers' heads to know conclusively their assessment of the situation.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
Usain Bolt speaks on the controversy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSpPaCIG0g
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:02:47 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:17 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"and we are going back to the track where the rest of the men are now crossing the line"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jw107

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »

You are right on that again Omarldinho. Most of the articles I've seen have stated that Rogge was absolutely wrong for saying what he did. Sports writers the world over, fellow athetes and the IAAF president today said that what Rogge said was wrong. Bolt is what track needs right now they say. Most are very disappointed by Rogge and the way he has embarassed his organisation with those comments.

Nice gesture by Bolt. Those folks need all the help they can get.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »

The issue was big enough that the president of the IOC saw fit to comment on it, the criticism was broadcast live to an international audience, it has been the topic of numerous mainstream articles... generated much controversy...

But then again, what I know... you're apparently inside his 'handlers' heads to know conclusively their assessment of the situation.

well apparently its both of us inside his 'handlers' heads given that you're the one who jump up first with the speculation.

fact is, we've yet to get anything from the Bolt camp to suggest any manner of regret or a need to correct their image. Moreso the vibes from Bolt and his camp is that its just much ado about nothing.

Until such a time, I see this for what it is, which is simply a very noble gesture.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 12:35:40 PM »
well apparently its both of us inside his 'handlers' heads given that you're the one who jump up first with the speculation.

fact is, we've yet to get anything from the Bolt camp to suggest any manner of regret or a need to correct their image. Moreso the vibes from Bolt and his camp is that its just much ado about nothing.

Until such a time, I see this for what it is, which is simply a very noble gesture.

I offered one rational as to why team Bolt likely made the gesture, and you responded quite conclusively that there was no controversy to begin with...  which itself is quite humorous.  Had the criticism not put Bolt in a negative light then there would be no need for anyone to come to his defense in the first place, would there?

If either of you two genuinely believe that all the attention garnered by the criticism hasn't resulted in any negative publicity for Bolt, then I have a bridge at the bottom of Boerum Hill to sell you.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:40:01 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

On the real tho, I doh think any of the publicity he's received has been negative, and even if it was, it certainly hasn't affected people's impression of him. As of today he is the biggest star in world sport, evein if its only for a few days, and his brand value has increased tremendously. I would go wid omarldinho and say it was just a noble gesture.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »

Except you weren't exactly speculating, were you?  I offered one rational why team Bolt likely made the gesture, you responded quite conclusively that there was no controversy to begin with...  which itself is quite humorous.

If either of you two actually believe that all the attention garnered by the criticism only has put Bolt in a favorable light, then I have a bridge at the bottom of Boerum Hill to sell you.

Huh?

how does me saying that "the publicity isn't that negative" = "conclusively saying there was no controversy to begin with"? 

Where did I say that the attention put Bolt in a favorable light?

You see an article saying the man give 50k to charity and jump up and bawl it seem artificial..  If that is your assumption then fine, but I just don't see anything to suggest a need for him or his camp to buy themselves some brownie points as you seem to suggest.  This is the saviour of the sport of Track you talking about here, you feel he have Rogge and some critics in the minority to study?

It really aint that serious.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »
"The establishment", in the person of Rogge came down on Usain Bolt because of his antics...  Jacques Rogge with his criticism has a greater chance of negatively impacting Usain Bolt's marketability and earning potential than any "support" in the media or on message boards around the world can.  Don't be so naive as to think that Bolt's people don't recognize this... even if you folks here don't. 

As I said, my gut feeling is that this was a factor behind the move, but regardless the motive I won't begrudge him anything.

Bolt reaches out to young Chinese earthquake victims with personal donation

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=2512&tp=n
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:30:39 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
I'll not change, that's my personality - Bolt
published: Saturday | August 23, 2008

Elton Tucker

Rogge

BEIJING:

Triple Olympic Games gold medallist, Usain Bolt, has vowed not to change his style after coming under criticism here from International Olympic Committee (IOC) head, Jacques Rogge, for his showmanship.

Bolt, speaking after winning his third gold medal of the Games in the 4x100 metres, said he was a performer who wanted people to enjoy themselves.

"To me, I am a performer. I go out there to perform and let the people enjoy themselves. This is my work, my job, if you do not enjoy your job it does not make much sense. That's just me. I will not change, that is myself, that is my personality," Bolt said at a post-sprint relay press conference.

Bashed

Bolt, winner of the 100m and 200m in world-record times, had been bashed for his showboating during the 100m final when he dropped his hand and beat his chest while nearing the finish.

Rogge, wire services reported, had suggested that some of Bolt's actions were against the spirit of the Games.

"That's not the way we perceive being a champion," an Associated Press report quoted Rogge as saying. According to the report, Rogge made his comments to three international news agencies.

The report went on to say that the IOC boss hailed Bolt's stunning achievements in the two sprints and compared him to American great Jesse Owens, who won the sprint double at the 1936 Games in Berlin, Germany, but said Bolt should have cut out the look-at-me flaunting and acknowledge the other athletes.

Meanwhile, Jamaica Olympic Association president, Mike Fennell, a man who knows the IOC president very well, came out in his defence yesterday at the Games Village.

Misunderstood

"He is going to issue a statement later on. He feels that his statement had been totally misunderstood because he is overawed by Bolt's performances and has said so quite openly and will say it again," Fennell said.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »
Jamaicans love too much blasted passa passa...

Bolt, winner of the 100m and 200m in world-record times, had been bashed for his showboating during the 100m final when he dropped his hand and beat his chest while nearing the finish.

Now he was 'bashed'... only people bashing Bolt is de ignorant racists on blogs and in chat rooms.  The Jamaican press like they deliberately blowing this out of proportion to fire up Jamaican people... who just eating up de chain up normal normal.

Another thing... president of the JOA come out in Rogge's defense talking about he was "misunderstood"... but Ato whose criticism was even milder (and more sensible) getting crucified.

Allyuh Jamaicans is kicks yes.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »

Don't be stupid.  Usain is now a world figure and go be called on everywhere.  By that gesture alone, he will make 100 times that in new endorsements and appearance fees that may have eluded him.  It is a great PR move.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »

Now he was 'bashed'... only people bashing Bolt is de ignorant racists on blogs and in chat rooms.  The Jamaican press like they deliberately blowing this out of proportion to fire up Jamaican people... who just eating up de chain up normal normal.

Another thing... president of the JOA come out in Rogge's defense talking about he was "misunderstood"... but Ato whose criticism was even milder (and more sensible) getting crucified.

Rogge is Fennel's Boss. Also the normal interpretation of that article is that ROGGE is backtracking and will re-issue a statement "clarifying" what he meant. And stop with the "you Jamaicans", have you need read my posts? This issue is more of a fuss here than over at the Carib track site.

I just saw Lord Coe issuing superlatives about Bolt on TV. They said that FF is profusive in praise. There is absolutely NOTHING disrespectful about Bolt and you trying to make that case would be a futile exercise. Bolt is genuine too. I know the fellow.

Bolt visits earthquake survivors
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Jamaic...t3CVDO7eEnncUF
Bolt visits China quake victims, urges them to look forward   

1 hour, 51 minutes ago

Triple gold medal winner Usain Bolt put his celebrations on hold to visit victims of the devastating earthquake in Sichuan, urging survivors to use the Olympics as inspiration to look forward, not back.
The Jamaican, who set an unprecedented three world records in claiming gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay, said he hoped people from the quake-battered province would "get through the tragedy".
"We came here, tried to perform well. I hope people enjoy the Games, forget the past and move on," he said as he posed for pictures with victims on Saturday, including Huang Siyu, 13, who lost both her legs in the disaster.
"You have to move forward after the disaster. The Olympics ask people to move forward," added Bolt.
The 8.0-magnitude quake on May 12 in Sichuan left nearly 70,000 dead, and just under 18,000 people are still missing. At least 10 million people lost their homes.
Bolt said he watched the devastation unfold on television.
"I feel sorry for the victims so I asked my management team to do something," he told Xinhua news agency after handing over a cheque for 50,000 US dollars to the Red Cross.
"They are kids. They deserve a better future. I hope they can still enjoy themselves because they are still kids. I just want to help them. I'm looking forward to more people coming out and helping them."

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »
"The establishment", in the person of Rogge came down on Usain Bolt because of his antics...  Jacques Rogge with his criticism has a greater chance of negatively impacting Usain Bolt's marketability and earning potential than any "support" in the media or on message boards around the world can.  Don't be so naive as to think that Bolt's people don't recognize this... even if you folks here don't. 

As I said, my gut feeling is that this was a factor behind the move, but regardless the motive I won't begrudge him anything.

Bolt reaches out to young Chinese earthquake victims with personal donation

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=2512&tp=n

Your entire train of thought has been begrudging.

What if some Jakan started posting that RT was disrespectful to Bolt because he did not run up to him immediately after the 100m and shook his hand (as is the normal practice)? See how stupid this thing can become? RT was  busy enjoying his silver and later made very flattering statements about the winner, but anyone can look to find fault where it does not exist.

Bolt was the biggest Star to go to Hampton Games this year. You better hope he shows up next year.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
stewps.

yuh know... men trainin all their lives for this moment, perhaps if bolt showed some solidarity for the men that trained like mad for years, ran as hard as they could and couldnt cut it, i mean it must be painful, seein him dance around like a monkey after is easily seen as disrespectful.

i mean, i dont have any big problem with it but i can see how it was seen as direspectful.

when dix said that shite about bolt i was always ready to defend him but this critism of bolt is not out of line at all.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 09:58:22 AM »
stewps.

yuh know... men trainin all their lives for this moment, perhaps if bolt showed some solidarity for the men that trained like mad for years, ran as hard as they could and couldnt cut it, i mean it must be painful, seein him dance around like a monkey after is easily seen as disrespectful.

i mean, i dont have any big problem with it but i can see how it was seen as direspectful.

when dix said that shite about bolt i was always ready to defend him but this critism of bolt is not out of line at all.

I take it this is your first time watching a 100m race?

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »
stewps.

Please explain how the dancing was disrespectful. Perhaps you can educate me here.

Also, remind me when last the winner run go congrats everyone, and not the other way around.
Some of you seem to be like drowning men clutching at straws.

This is getting bizarre now. I done with this stupidness.

Offline Lionpaw

• Highest Grade.
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Smoke Weeeeed, under the Jamaican Sky Light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »

You guilty of the same thing u condemning. The man didn't say he was misunderstood. He said "he feels" he was misunderstood. Big difference.
Smoke and Fly

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
Just wondering...did any1 in this thread who thinks Bolt was wrong feel personally offended? Pretty sure the answer is no.

This whole ting is such a non-issue.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 01:35:48 PM »

Rogge is Fennel's Boss. Also the normal interpretation of that article is that ROGGE is backtracking and will re-issue a statement "clarifying" what he meant. And stop with the "you Jamaicans", have you need read my posts? This issue is more of a fuss here than over at the Carib track site.

I just saw Lord Coe issuing superlatives about Bolt on TV. They said that FF is profusive in praise. There is absolutely NOTHING disrespectful about Bolt and you trying to make that case would be a futile exercise. Bolt is genuine too. I know the fellow.

Yes I have read your posts... and quite frankly I wasn't referring to you yourself.  I generalized so that's my fault... but still stand by it.  I've read far to many comments on other websites, including Jamaican ones, blogs... editorials etc.... BY JAMAICANS.  By and large I have to even question whether any of them saw the interview.  THOSE Jamaicans, including your Prime Minister (with he foolish "red eye and jealousy" talk) have taken Ato's comments and spun them and made the criticism out to be some personal attack on Usain, and some attempt to impugn his character...which I'm sure you yourself know to NOT be the case.

As for Usain Bolt being disrespectful... now it's MY turn to ask. Have YOU read any of MY threads??  Rhetorical question, because I know you have.  But it seems like the basic reading comprehension we were all exposed to in primary school has been lost on you.  No offense, you seem like a good guy (for a jamaican)... but nowhere have I ever said that Usain Bolt is a disrespectful person... nowhere have I ever said that Usain Bolt tried to be disrespectful or intended to be disrespectful.  Therefore I'm not sure why you even mention some hypothetical scenario about me "making the case... would be futile".

1]; } ?>