April 25, 2024, 11:07:10 AM

Author Topic: Time For The U.S. To Act Like CONCACAF's Top Dog  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Time For The U.S. To Act Like CONCACAF's Top Dog
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
Time For The U.S. To Act Like CONCACAF's Top Dog
By Noah Davis (goal.com)

With the United States men's national team in the midst of third round qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, it's time to take a serious look at the team's attitude towards the rest of the CONCACAF region.

In the simplest terms possible, the U.S. is a better team than every other squad else in the region -- make a case for Mexico, but away from the friendly confines of Azteca, El Tri rarely win -- yet it doesn't act like it. It's time for this to change. They shouldn't sink to the arrogant levels of the American men's basketball team in 2006 or the French 4x100m swim team in Beijing, but the overly respectful rhetoric that litters the sound bites of their interviews needs to go. 

Just today, Steve Cherundolo told FIFA.com, "We have to get through the group, but it won’t be at all easy."

Are you sure about that, Steve? The Guatemala match wasn't pretty but the U.S. came away with a win on the road, the mark of a solid, experienced team. Even if it had lost that game, qualification to the Hexagonal wouldn't have been in question. Recent history proves the team's utter dominance of its CONCACAF foes. The squad lost two of 18 games during the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign, posting an 8-0-1 record at home. Results shouldn't vary much during this cycle.

Humility Is Not Always Good
Contrast this success with Cherundolo's statements, such as his assertion that, "Obviously we're aiming to qualify for the World Cup." Taken out of context, you'd think he played for Jamaica or Cuba, not -- yes, we'll write it -- the region's soccer power.

After the U.S. fell short of the second round in the Olympics, commentators around the country said for the team to reach the next level internationally, it needed to start advancing out of the group stage. This is true, but in soccer, attitude is as much a part of success as talent. Look at Brazil. They win more than a few games on swagger alone.

In short, The U.S.'s attitude towards its qualification opponents needs to be altered. If you give Trinidad and Tobago the ultimate level of respect, how can you up the ante when you play, say, Argentina in the second round of the World Cup?

Everything In Moderation
Granted, you never want to give an underdog bulletin board fodder. And this attitude readjustment might cause the United States to overlook the occasional CONCACAF minnow and lose a game it shouldn't, but the region is weak enough to allow the team to recover. Besides, the ultimate goal for the U.S. is no longer simply qualification.

Near the end of his interview with FIFA, Cherundolo says, "There are a number of teams in with a chance [to qualify]."

That's true, but first place is the U.S.'s and its players should start acting as if that's the case.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Time For The U.S. To Act Like CONCACAF's Top Dog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:30:59 PM »
Dis article makin me feel to   :puking: :puking: :puking:
Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 08:42:53 PM »
That reporter obviously don't know much about football.  Sure, the US is th best CONCACAF team but not by much.  They have to play hard to win  every game.  Nothing is easy.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
goal .com again

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:03:02 AM »
People just getting worked up because is Americans who saying that... allyuh blood too close to allyuh skin.  What Noah Davis saying is the absolute truth... you need to go into games with a killer mentality, especially games against opponents that you should be beating.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 03:05:53 AM »
I agree put them in CONMEBOL group then  ;D
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:49:30 AM »
Dis article makin me feel to   :puking: :puking: :puking:

Ditto.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 03:51:50 AM »
People just getting worked up because is Americans who saying that... allyuh blood too close to allyuh skin.  What Noah Davis saying is the absolute truth... you need to go into games with a killer mentality, especially games against opponents that you should be beating.

People just getting worked up because is Ameicans saying it? Well you just defending it for the same reason.

And ah eh see nobody getting "worked up".
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
So who is the "big dogs" now in CONCACAF? T&T, Mexico, ore JA. Come on guys the USA is the "big dogs" in our region. Show me which team in the world sails smoothly through the qualification to the WC? We just hating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LFBNbDzBs          ;D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »
USA are top dog in CONCACAF, I will not argue against that. But on the World stage Mexico has been far more consistent and are recognized as the true threat.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
F#CK DEM
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
USA are top dog in CONCACAF, I will not argue against that. But on the World stage Mexico has been far more consistent and are recognized as the true threat.

I agree with you boss!! I would definitely say the US and Mexico are on a level above the rest. after them, it have a bunch of teams that fighting for 3rd, 4th etc. Those include Canada, Trinidad, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica!! on any given day any of those teams will beat up each other but the top two to lose to any of the others would be seen as a shock result!! :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »
When is ah tread relating to thee US football we should leave it blank. Like ah new poster with ah stupid topic. Just read and never reply. ::)
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
could be that this fella confusing off the field humility and respect with on the field self belief. I agree wth Churondolo...prior to the game and after the 90 minutes, be a good sportsman and show respect to your opponents..at least in public. But internally..you must be an arrogant killa with no room for self doubt. You must have the utmost belief that you are the best and you will always overcome. But let your feet do the talking. and once the game done, return to showing respect to your opponents and the game. This fella should not confuse how an athlete presents himself to the media and how he feels once he step on the field

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 12:07:41 PM »
We getting @ least ah draw in chi town come the 6th sept, this is the worst US team i've seen in yrs.                                          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »
Our team need to prepare for the game and leave it all on the field. I think as another poster stated the difference between USA and the rest of CONCACAF is the goal keepers.

Our forwards need to go out and run at the US defense and take the game to them. The midfield need to not be afraid of attacking. Brazil start playing this total team football and now they getting they a$$ wash. Plain talk bad manners.  Pressure does buss pipe. We cannot defend for 90 mins and look for a draw.

USA does grind out their results. I think Guat was the better team on the night but USa stuck in the game  and got the result.  I think we can do the same too. The midfield just need to work harder on both sides of the play.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
My brother, friends, and everyone in between asks me, how can you hate the US National team and the MLS?  You were born in America, right?

This is why, the arrogant, uninformed pieces of shit like this is why I pray every game that the USA loses to Barbados or Grenada just to shut the dumbasses who support this team or the league will shut the f**k up.

I asked my brother if he heard the result from the Joe Public game yesterday and he said first New England must not have played their best team, when he realised they did, he said oh it was fluke and they will get crushed in Boston.   ::) 

If Trinidad beat the USA on the 10th I will be rubbing as much shit in his and his fellow Fire and USMNT supporter face as humanly possible.

I'm sorry for the swearing, nothing pisses me off like this crap  :-[

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:04 AM »

People just getting worked up because is Ameicans saying it? Well you just defending it for the same reason.

And ah eh see nobody getting "worked up".

Stop acting like corn fall in yuh yard... clearly yuh didn't see the other thread on Cherundolo's comments so hush yuh ass.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
We getting @ least ah draw in chi town come the 6th sept, this is the worst US team i've seen in yrs.                                          positive.

If Freddy and Bradley(still suspended?) in the middle with Donovan on the side and Altridore up top we in for some serious trouble.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>