April 18, 2024, 09:45:47 PM

Author Topic: Yahoo.com: Best and worst NBC commentators  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Re: Yahoo.com: Best and worst NBC commentators
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:57 AM »
Guy the author suggested that NBC should have had Michael Johnson rather than Ato Boldon!

How does that equate to credit for Ato?

How dumb!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
I thought Ato was pretty good!!! He is very knowlegeable about the sport.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »
Guy the author suggested that NBC should have had Michael Johnson rather than Ato Boldon!

How dumb!

In this new internet era if you didnt know.  Any publicity, good or bad. is a plus in the entertainment industry.  It adds to your "name drop worth" and on the internet or print media, its more permanent than just saying his name.  You dont think Ato having a field day with all his "name drops" during the controversial olympic 2weeks to add his popularity.  And I work in Marketing also, thats how I know  ;)

Congrats to your boy Maurice Greene joining "dancing with stars".  For an athlete this makes you 3=times more popular in the female market.  So after the show he can get soooooo much more money from Women oriented companys and sponsors.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
 Robinson, commenting about the imposing look of a Russian diver who had shaved his head: "I feel like I've seen this guy in a James Bond movie."

Potter: "I think I've seen him in some other kinds of movies."

Robinson, stunned into awkward silence: "  ...  "

Potter, as replay of the Russian's dive rolls: "Those other movies were about violence, not anything else."

:rotfl:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »

I believe that comment was more about nationality than performance.  I haven't really read anything negative about his performance except perhaps in relation to his comments about Bolt....and you'll find as many comments in favor as against in regards to that topic..

Leading the way: Favorite NBC announce team? That's easy: Tom Hammond, Ato Boldon and Lewis Johnson at track and field. Hammond is a pro's pro whose voice and delivery never change regardless who is winning or losing. Boldon never once tried to make an excuse for the disappointing U.S. track team.
- http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/bhorn/stories/082308dnspohorn.44be0d3.html

Boldon, 34, has emerged as one of NBC’s best analysts, a blend of athletic smarts (he won one silver and three bronze medals in the 100 and 200 meters at the 1996 and 2000 Games), charisma, precise analysis and brashness — his Web site, atoboldon.com, demonstrates no lack of self-esteem.

And he knows what he does not know. To call the men’s 400-meter hurdles, he consulted with Kevin Young, the world-record holder, who correctly predicted that Angelo Taylor would win. To prepare for the 110-meter hurdles, he exchanged e-mail messages with Allen Johnson, who won the Olympic gold medal in Atlanta.

“I’m into details because I’m obsessive-compulsive,” he said. “But with regard to lanes, it’s one of the nuances of the sport that I can share. If you’re watching the 200, there’s a reason why the guy in Lane 2 has no chance, or the woman in Lane 9 in the 200 has to run like a bat out of hell to win.”

Craig Silver, the CBS producer who hired him to call the N.C.A.A. championships in 2005, said: “He’s very astute, very bright, and does his homework. He’s not just saying stuff. We’re both track geeks, so we’re always texting each other about what’s happening.”
- http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/sports/olympics/23sandomir.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »

How dumb!

That statement was pure American jealousy.  He did not say any thing about their ability.  He only mentioned where the two men were from - one form America, the other from Trinidad and Tobago.  What the fool does not state was that Johnson has had a long time contract with the BBC.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:16 PM »
Robinson, commenting about the imposing look of a Russian diver who had shaved his head: "I feel like I've seen this guy in a James Bond movie."

Potter: "I think I've seen him in some other kinds of movies."

Robinson, stunned into awkward silence: "  ...  "

Potter, as replay of the Russian's dive rolls: "Those other movies were about violence, not anything else."

:rotfl:

I nearly dead when I read that yes....

That statement was pure American jealousy.  He did not say any thing about their ability.  He only mentioned where the two men were from - one form America, the other from Trinidad and Tobago.  What the fool does not state was that Johnson has had a long time contract with the BBC.

Maybe said fool wasn't aware that MJ had a long-term contract with the BBC.  The norm for track announcers is that they freelance... Ato alone has worked for 2-3 different networks this year.

I find that too quickly that when it comes to Americans, rather than speak of the failings of the individual we impute their failings some larger flaw in their national identity.   Yet we don't like it when Jamaicans (and others) do it to us... simply is no need for all that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:23:45 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
Ato broadcasting to a new audience... (near the end)

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=38394.msg467802#msg467802

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
BORN TO DO IT

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
http://fangsbites.blogspot.com/2008/08/fangs-bites-awards-for-olympics.html

Nice going Ato

I see that Dwight Stones did not get mentioned and he has been around since the 80's.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 02:17:20 PM »
I didn't see any boxing talk on here so I assume many didn't watch... but Teddy Atlas and Jim Gray came up aces... Atlas was on point in his analysis, and in showing just how flawed the scoring system is in Boxing.  This isn't me just eating chain up American propaganda... you'd watch man head getting snapped by ah fella throwing jabs and the refs either wouldn't give him points... or worse award the man who get hit. 

I saw that shit happen twice with mih own eye.  Ah next semi-final match it had ah French fella fighting ah Dominican(?).. and it was clear they wanted the Dominican to advance.  The DR fella would constantly try and grab the back of the Frenchie head with his right hand while punching wth the left... a clear violation.  Nutten called.  He would constantly grab and hold the Fr. and nutten called.  In the fourth and final round with 30 secs left and the Fr. fella up by ah point the two fighters get in ah clinch.  The ref separate dem and send each to their corner... then inexplicably penalized the Fr. fighter two points for 'holding'.  De poor fella drop to his knees in despair right there in the ring.  30 secs later fight over, Olympics over.  He was inconsolable afterwards.

Jim Gray hustled after plenty fighters to interview them... which made for good comedy because some ah dem didn't speaka de engrish too well, lol

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
Ato broadcasting to a new audience... (near the end)

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=38394.msg467802#msg467802

I wonder how much they pay NBC for the audio?  lol i know they probably just theif it

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
Thanks, as always, to the haters...

Boldon, 34, has emerged as one of NBC's best analysts, a blend of athletic smarts (he won one silver and three bronze medals in the 100 and 200 meters at the 1996 and 2000 Games), charisma, precise analysis and brashness  New York Times

Favorite NBC announce team? That's easy: Tom Hammond, Ato Boldon and Lewis Johnson at track and field. Hammond is a pro's pro whose voice and delivery never change regardless who is winning or losing. Boldon never once tried to make an excuse for the disappointing U.S. track team.   Dallas Morning News

Track analyst Ato Boldon has become a real star for NBC with his enthusiasm, knowledge and colorful style, which lights up the TV screen.  In his first Olympic assignment, Boldon and his partner Tom Hammond have done a brilliant job of not missing a single detail of the track and field coverage. Boldon, who is a four-time Olympic medalist for Trinidad and Tobago, is entertaining in his analysis.  The Sports Business Journal

NBC commentator and four-time Olympic sprint medalist Ato Boldon was outspoken, as usual, in analyzing the 100 meters.  Asked if Tyson Gay's hamstring, injured at the Olympic trials, would hold up for four rounds, Boldon said bluntly, "No." Los Angeles Times

"He's very astute, very bright, and does his homework. He's not just saying stuff." Craig Silver, CBS Sports

The reason Boldon is a star at NBC is the passion for the sport that he brings to his broadcasting. His Caribbean/British accent, his colorful descriptions of the races and the competitors make him entertaining. His insights on the sport add to a long list of reasons to watch him and his partner Hammond cover the track events.  Bottom line, Boldon makes watching the track events fun, which is more than NBC could ask for from their first-time analyst. The Sports Business Journal

"I quote Ato so often that I feel like he should have a co-byline on some of my stories, but  he's just that good" Tim Layden, Sports Illustrated

Ato Boldon did make sense when he said about Usain Bolt's world record time of 9.69: "The 100 meters is run in a straight line, but he just turned the corner, and the line starts behind him."   Dallas Morning News

Is there a better track analyst than Ato Boldon?  Los Angeles Times

Ato Boldon, the ex-sprinter from Trinidad and Tobago who made his NBC Olympic debut, came through. He was insightful and didn't pull punches, such as saying the U.S. team "underperformed, the likes of which we have never seen from a U.S. track and field team."  USA Today

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:54:17 AM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:31 AM »
GOLD medal Job, Ato :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:02:43 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
"The reason Boldon is a star at NBC is the passion for the sport that he brings to his broadcasting. His Caribbean/British accent......."

De yankee tink yuh does sound British
De Trini tink yuh does sound  yankee
De chinee must be think yuh sound Korean?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »
Thais why you just do the best you can and let whoever sort it out....if all the critics hated it I would still be happy I did the best I could.

Please yuhself first (some of all yuh does do that often :devil:)
BORN TO DO IT

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
Please yuhself first (some of all yuh does do that often :devil:)
ah set ah man did scatter after reading dat :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »
I didn't see any boxing talk on here so I assume many didn't watch... but Teddy Atlas and Jim Gray came up aces... Atlas was on point in his analysis, and in showing just how flawed the scoring system is in Boxing.  This isn't me just eating chain up American propaganda... you'd watch man head getting snapped by ah fella throwing jabs and the refs either wouldn't give him points... or worse award the man who get hit. 

I saw that shit happen twice with mih own eye.  Ah next semi-final match it had ah French fella fighting ah Dominican(?).. and it was clear they wanted the Dominican to advance.  The DR fella would constantly try and grab the back of the Frenchie head with his right hand while punching wth the left... a clear violation.  Nutten called.  He would constantly grab and hold the Fr. and nutten called.  In the fourth and final round with 30 secs left and the Fr. fella up by ah point the two fighters get in ah clinch.  The ref separate dem and send each to their corner... then inexplicably penalized the Fr. fighter two points for 'holding'.  De poor fella drop to his knees in despair right there in the ring.  30 secs later fight over, Olympics over.  He was inconsolable afterwards.

Jim Gray hustled after plenty fighters to interview them... which made for good comedy because some ah dem didn't speaka de engrish too well, lol

Wham? He eh geh de Cuban internal memo? Kuff down de ref!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »

Yeah dat boxing like de WWE

I heard that the IOC initialy withheld $1 Million dollars 4 years ago from the boxing federation
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2007-04-26-2310119330_x.htm
looks like the problem is still there
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:24:47 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »
Ato, congrats on de plaudits... my advice to you is tuh not even acknowledge de detractors too much.  As I like tuh say, juss let dem watch de back ah yuh head getting smaller in de distance...

--------------

Asylum and WC... shame too, had some real good boxing matches, but of course the American team wasn't expected to do much, then to top it off one of their top contenders, Gary Russell, Jr. ketch some kinda dehydration malkady on de eve ah de Olympics.  So ah guess NBC decide tuh cut dey losses and doh bother.

But very competitive stuff... amateur boxing at it's best (inspite of the officiating).

...and I'm not even that much of a fan.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 05:25:45 PM »
Congrats Ato!!!!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
I been saying it since US Championships and before: Ato is the best.  Now doh let it get to you head.  Just keep humble, get some big contracts and show them.  One bit of advice.  If you become an expert in another sport, you go get a long term multimillion dollar gig.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:06 AM »
No, unfortunately I must quit now since I am incapable of having a proper Trini accent on air.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lawd if people stop talking shit I swear I would have zero reason to get up every day.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 07:12:44 AM »
No, unfortunately I must quit now since I am incapable of having a proper Trini accent on air.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lawd if people stop talking shit I swear I would have zero reason to get up every day.

Hahahaha,

I recall the first time speaking to you in person...Trini 2 D bone!

1]; } ?>