April 28, 2024, 12:20:58 AM

Author Topic: Former coach warns of Guatemala’s new-look squad  (Read 5739 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Former coach warns of Guatemala’s new-look squad
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
By Hannibal Najjar (Trinidad Guardian)

T&T attained an excellent 3-1 away result against Cuba, and now heads the group with a one-goal, goal differential over second placed, USA, who themselves, had a very fortuitous 1-0 victory over our up-coming opponent, Guatemala, due to take place in Port-of-Spain on September 6.

What I would like to do at this stage is, to tender a few important thoughts after I observed the Guatemalan home game against the US that took place on August 20.

The following are a few points to watch:

Strong Points of Guatemala:

•  It appears that they possess a great mix of maturity and youth and is well-led by danger-man, Carlos Ruiz.

•  They are very fit and can run relentlessly over the full duration of the game. They also play with a tirelessness in the anaerobic, and explosive, non-stop, directional-changing demands of the game.

•  They are very quick and agile in both, the short distance, as well as the sprints over the longer 30 to 70 yards spread.

•  They are very attentive to one-on-one duelling they seek to win every battle and play intentionally and fearlessly even with the air ball.

•  They have several very deft left footed players who possess much guile and savvy, and are swift in change-of-play situations.

•  They are tremendously technical team especially in tight-room situations.

•  They contend every ball defensively, but especially in mid-field play, and this would be our biggest concern, since I have gathered that our mid-field ball-handling abilities and control, represent our greatest weakness.

•  They do not appear to be of the traditional Guatemalan, fragile and over-emotional mindset. And so, I do not suggest that we gamble on them being as easily thwarted or derailed from their individual and tactical game plan.

•  They have demonstrated to be tactically very sound they play well off the ball, and seems to be ready for the pop-ups and as well as, their rehearsed and trained movements.

•  They play very well in the transition, and recognise the change-over pauses that signal the mode of transition.

•  They possess two very dangerous outside attacking players whose speed, determination to get after every ball, abilities to dribble and run with the ball are amongst the best that our team will ever see in this, and the final round.

•  Their defence is physically very strong, attentive, and is all, no-nonsense and businesslike.

•  They appear to be a team with good elevation, and so must be watched in corners and freekicks

Weak Points of Guatemala:

•  They are still an emotional people and may be rather easily ruffled; although, I believe that this team possesses the best temperament of any Guatemalan team that I have seen over the years we must be careful not to underestimate them.

•  They are generally noted for not being as consistently good in away matches as they are in home games this is left to be seen, and my instincts tell me that this squad is ready to register a change in this stereotype they are good and dangerous.

•  Their goalkeeper appears to be a tremendous shot blocker, with a keen eye for faster plays, and reflexes that are impeccable. T&T players must always follow shots taken.

He possesses great quickness and explosiveness but, may be inclined to let his eagerness get the better of his readiness, and may therefore, make rash and untimely decisions.

Cautions:

•  Do not carry any victory hangovers leading our charge into that game.

•  Do not take lightly their confidence coming into this game. Be weary not to base anything on their loss to the US on August 20, and their last loss to us in T&T that threw  them out and put us in WC 2006 in Germany.

Positives:

•  We have had very commendable results against Jamaica, Bermuda, El Salvador, Haiti, and Cuba.

•  We have a proven coach and must continue to trust his lead, decisions, and style of transmitting sail or sink with him, is my advice.

•  We are playing at home.

•  We have people, hearts, and souls to win over and make believers of.

•  We are looking for respect

•  We are looking to return to the WC

•  We are looking for increased club recognition and recruiting possibilities in the form of contract opportunities and offers.

•  We have an opportunity to set the stage for your next foe - the US in the US carrying full, six points into that game, one I hope to attend myself, is as good as it get.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Former coach warns of Guatemala’s new-look squad
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:20:16 AM »
he observe things bout the side temperment and sense of urgency in one game?

i kinda think najarr have a kinda doh wa we win attitude........alot of people have it in relation to they rather things go bad so they cud talk than go too good.
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
Dis man buildin dese Guatemalan's into supermen or wha?

13 Strong Points to 3 Weak Points?

And de so called Weak Points contain a big BUT....for example

They are still an emotional people and may be rather easily ruffled; although, I believe that this team possesses the best temperament of any Guatemalan team that I have seen over the years we must be careful not to underestimate them.

THANK GOD dis man is not we fleckin coach anymore nah or else we done lorse before we hit de forkin field!  >:(

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »
I pick up d Guardian dis morning and put it dong after the fuss two column. Dis wasn't the coach that cudn teach a monkey to peel bananas?
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »
The article didnt bother me too much..........i see it more as a warning against complacency, and not to underestimate them
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
Well this road is not easy....and like i said we have to set the tone on this game.....they the players should know what to expect from Guat...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
The article didnt bother me too much..........i see it more as a warning against complacency, and not to underestimate them

Breds....T&T in ANY position to be complacent against ANYBODY?  U self.

Lissen...I sure Mr Najjar heart in de right place and he want nutting but de bess fuh T&T eh.  But lawd man....even if yuh eh want to share potential tactical information dat might provide de opposition wit some insight as to how we might look to play dem (as if dem doh have enough videotape arready), yuh go list 3 weak points and in all a dem yuh contradictin yuhself?

Guatemala historically emotionally fragile BUT dis team have de bess temperament of any Guatemalan team

Dey historically not good away from home BUT dis team changin dah stereotype because dey good and dangerous

De goalkeeper could be rash BUT he brilliant and a great shot stopper

Steupes.  Daz weak points? 

I doh tink it have a serious football fan here who go be surprised if Guatemala beat we.  We ALL hopin fuh de bess but to suggest de fans or de players COMPLACENT doh mek any kinda sense.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
Trinidad football teams should never need anyone to tell them about complacency after the USA beat we in1989 to qualify for Italy.That was Trinidad at their complacency best.I am sure we have learnt that very,very,very sad lesson on that fateful day,19th November 1989.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »
he observe things bout the side temperment and sense of urgency in one game?

De man specifically said that he is commenting on what he observed in one game! What is wrong wid dat?  Surely the side would have displayed a particular temperament and sense of urgency on that day. All dat he has said can only help us, unless we choose to find fault, as you are doing, and ignore.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »
even if he can't write to save his life....

•  They are very fit and can run relentlessly over the full duration of the game. They also play with a tirelessness in the anaerobic, and explosive, non-stop, directional-changing demands of the game.  ???

... I appreciate the man efforts to give some insight from over on the other side of the fence.

But I still find he coulda be alot more specific. He coulda give us some individual players names and what they did that impress him in the game. He coulda tell us something about their shape and tactics. Alot of what he type is very general and is difficult to use to devise a strategy against them.

But I not worried, because I know that the scout the TTFF placed at the USA v Guatemala game is going to provide a much more detailed account than this.   ::)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
Thank you Hannibal
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
It is a warning! Take it, or leave it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
If they have all them positives then why they ent win against thee US? Then deh going an lose again in Trinidad on thee 6th, they going and geh licks. No wonder why he's ah "former" coach.;D

What yuh want.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:41:35 PM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 01:51:58 PM »
After avery john, and cyd grey put some blade on them Guatemalan, they will boil down like bahgee.  As long as the guys stick to the game plan T&T will be fine.  Plus Cornel Glen have a lil something for them which they can pick up in the back of their net inside they goal on match day.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:54:51 PM by fatimarima »

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:05:42 PM »

Breds....T&T in ANY position to be complacent against ANYBODY?  U self.

Lissen...I sure Mr Najjar heart in de right place and he want nutting but de bess fuh T&T eh.  But lawd man....even if yuh eh want to share potential tactical information dat might provide de opposition wit some insight as to how we might look to play dem (as if dem doh have enough videotape arready), yuh go list 3 weak points and in all a dem yuh contradictin yuhself?

Guatemala historically emotionally fragile BUT dis team have de bess temperament of any Guatemalan team

Dey historically not good away from home BUT dis team changin dah stereotype because dey good and dangerous

De goalkeeper could be rash BUT he brilliant and a great shot stopper

Steupes.  Daz weak points? 

I doh tink it have a serious football fan here who go be surprised if Guatemala beat we.  We ALL hopin fuh de bess but to suggest de fans or de players COMPLACENT doh mek any kinda sense.

Palos, of course we shouldn't be complacent against ANYBODY. We in no position to have that kinda attitude. But you self must know that after any victory the team has, talk does permeate that we so great all of a sudden. Like 'once we beat Guatemala, we passage book to the hex'. Yeah it doh make sense for us to be complacent, but u hadda admit that it happens.

And yuh right, he write some shyte in that article. However, I think he at least had good intentions in providing his 'insight'.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
I know the man, his heart is in the right place. Guatemala played extremely well against the USA .I am surprised like Hannibal at the intensity, speed and never say die attitude of this Team.
 Say what? With good support at home and hard tackle we will be victorious.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »
After avery john, and cyd grey put some blade on them Guatemalan, they will boil down like bahgee.  As long as the guys stick to the game plan T&T will be fine.  Plus Cornel Glen have a lil something for them which they can pick up in the back of their net inside they goal on match day.

After Avery John and Cyd Gray put some blade on them Guatemalan we might be down to 9 men.

I doh really see de big fuss about de article.  I agree wid others who say it is ah warning fuh we players not too be swell headed after de win over Cuba.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 03:19:36 PM »
Puttin blade on men and committing red card fouls are two different things.   Makin sure to play aggressive is infact taking heed of the warning.   :beermug:   NO need to be scared and play no soft-man game.  Warriors !

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
Guys,
           I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that Hanni's heart is in the right place.All he saying is don't be complacent.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 03:36:09 PM »
Having watched the game , I happen to agree with his observations. I commented in another thread that they controlled the game for long period and were not daunted by the Americans (which would speak to their emotional state)

They were surprisingly good techincally. Harkes who was covering the game for the US media had to eat his words, before the game start, he commented that techincally, the US better  and would be more physical... he was wrong on both counts...

Yes its only one game, but if  T&T didn't scout this game, that would be a good report to plan from.

Ah would find it hard to believe that at this level, someone on the T&T technical/coaching staff didn't scout this US/Gua match.. so hopefully we could go into this match well apprised and ready to play because Guatemala look very impressive at times against a quality US team

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
After this article I think Brazil should be worried about facing Guatemala

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
We played this team before and it we play down the wing make some good crosses we will create opportunities there keepers is suspect
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 04:51:49 PM »
We played this team before and it we play down the wing make some good crosses we will create opportunities there keepers is suspect

The men who were responsible for us beating Guatemala last w/c qualifying won't be around this time (Yorke, Latapy and John) so ah hope de coaches have ah good gameplan in place.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
After this article I think Brazil should be worried about facing Guatemala

;D ;D

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
Nice to see Hannibal around.  I wish the TTFF can hire him for a special assignment project to boost the indian community in football. But i dont know if he indian or syrian

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Hanni is Syrian/Lebanese. But I don't think the gov't need to use Hanni to persuade certain ethnic groups to play ball. The TTFF, gov't, private organization and all the people of TT needs to instituted programs to encourage EVERYONE to participate in football. As a matter of fact, all sports.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:47 PM »
By Hannibal Najjar (Trinidad Guardian)

T&T attained an excellent 3-1 away result against Cuba, and now heads the group with a one-goal, goal differential over second placed, USA, who themselves, had a very fortuitous 1-0 victory over our up-coming opponent, Guatemala, due to take place in Port-of-Spain on September 6.

What I would like to do at this stage is, to tender a few important thoughts after I observed the Guatemalan home game against the US that took place on August 20.

The following are a few points to watch:

Strong Points of Guatemala:

•  It appears that they possess a great mix of maturity and youth and is well-led by danger-man, Carlos Ruiz.

•  They are very fit and can run relentlessly over the full duration of the game. They also play with a tirelessness in the anaerobic, and explosive, non-stop, directional-changing demands of the game.

•  They are very quick and agile in both, the short distance, as well as the sprints over the longer 30 to 70 yards spread.

•  They are very attentive to one-on-one duelling they seek to win every battle and play intentionally and fearlessly even with the air ball.

•  They have several very deft left footed players who possess much guile and savvy, and are swift in change-of-play situations.

•  They are tremendously technical team especially in tight-room situations.

•  They contend every ball defensively, but especially in mid-field play, and this would be our biggest concern, since I have gathered that our mid-field ball-handling abilities and control, represent our greatest weakness.

•  They do not appear to be of the traditional Guatemalan, fragile and over-emotional mindset. And so, I do not suggest that we gamble on them being as easily thwarted or derailed from their individual and tactical game plan.

•  They have demonstrated to be tactically very sound they play well off the ball, and seems to be ready for the pop-ups and as well as, their rehearsed and trained movements.

•  They play very well in the transition, and recognise the change-over pauses that signal the mode of transition.

•  They possess two very dangerous outside attacking players whose speed, determination to get after every ball, abilities to dribble and run with the ball are amongst the best that our team will ever see in this, and the final round.

•  Their defence is physically very strong, attentive, and is all, no-nonsense and businesslike.

•  They appear to be a team with good elevation, and so must be watched in corners and freekicks

Weak Points of Guatemala:

•  They are still an emotional people and may be rather easily ruffled; although, I believe that this team possesses the best temperament of any Guatemalan team that I have seen over the years we must be careful not to underestimate them.

•  They are generally noted for not being as consistently good in away matches as they are in home games this is left to be seen, and my instincts tell me that this squad is ready to register a change in this stereotype they are good and dangerous.

•  Their goalkeeper appears to be a tremendous shot blocker, with a keen eye for faster plays, and reflexes that are impeccable. T&T players must always follow shots taken.

He possesses great quickness and explosiveness but, may be inclined to let his eagerness get the better of his readiness, and may therefore, make rash and untimely decisions.

Cautions:

•  Do not carry any victory hangovers leading our charge into that game.

•  Do not take lightly their confidence coming into this game. Be weary not to base anything on their loss to the US on August 20, and their last loss to us in T&T that threw  them out and put us in WC 2006 in Germany.

Positives:

•  We have had very commendable results against Jamaica, Bermuda, El Salvador, Haiti, and Cuba.

•  We have a proven coach and must continue to trust his lead, decisions, and style of transmitting sail or sink with him, is my advice.

•  We are playing at home.

•  We have people, hearts, and souls to win over and make believers of.

•  We are looking for respect

•  We are looking to return to the WC

•  We are looking for increased club recognition and recruiting possibilities in the form of contract opportunities and offers.

•  We have an opportunity to set the stage for your next foe - the US in the US carrying full, six points into that game, one I hope to attend myself, is as good as it get.

Is this the same Guatemala who play a setta shit last week on they home ground throwing away goal after goal, with Ruiz trying to tief the ball off Tim Howard. The same team who had an asshole ejected for wild ass head butt, yeaah ok bring that shit side

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 06:11:33 PM »
Don't underestimate a shit-side!!!!!!!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
Hanni is Syrian/Lebanese. But I don't think the gov't need to use Hanni to persuade certain ethnic groups to play ball. The TTFF, gov't, private organization and all the people of TT needs to instituted programs to encourage EVERYONE to participate in football. As a matter of fact, all sports.

Aight the TTFF should do it just to build a bigger and more competitive player pool to get national players.  and marketing wise too.  Some politician tried to do that by bring some indian footballer from france (i forgot there both names).  Thats the same aspect the MLB in the USA did with the latin american public and it was a success.  The NBA is getting success with in foreign countries with people like Dirk Diwiski, Yao Ming, Paul Gasol. etcs.  It will be great the Pro League.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »
Guatemala away from home and guatemala at home is 2 different sides.

They also put out more against the US because is the US, The country as a whole have a deep rooted hatred toward the us and this transcends to the field.

Guatemala will dominate the ball possesion against us and key for us will be how our defense stand up and perform.

Our key advantage over guatemala would be our physical presence and air attack.

If we had jones he alone would run them ragged but we will defenitely need stern to show up for this one.

Look for lawrence to maybe get a goal in this game.

That is the reason Jamaica does beat up Guatemala and honduras all the time.
They struggle with the strong black man.

With Withley back in defensive mid that should lock them off!

1-0 TnT goal from a set piece.

1]; } ?>