April 26, 2024, 04:03:22 PM

Author Topic: USA midfielder confident of win over T&T  (Read 6466 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
USA midfielder confident of win over T&T
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »
USA midfielder confident of win over T&T
Trinidad Express

Wednesday 27th August ,2008

United States head coach, Bob Bradley and his USA team are determined to contest a sixth Fifa World Cup finals in succession by qualifying for the 2010 spectacular in South Africa.

The North Americans have appeared at every single showdown between the 32 best nations in the world since the 1990 tournament in Italy.

Bradley and his boys have no intention of breaking that streak when the global event touches down in African soil for the first time. Their qualifying campaign has passed off without a hitch, so far.

The USA comfortably overcame Barbados in pre-qualifying, and now lie second in a group, also including T&T, Cuba and Guatemala, on three points from their solitary fixture so far.

When the USA visit the Cubans on September 6 in search of three more points on the road to South Africa, midfielder Steven Cherundolo will be on the eve of his ninth anniversary as an international.

After, the Americans host T&T at Bridgeview, Chicago, on September 10 and Cherundolo reveals that he feels his team can pick up a sure six points in their next two matches.

"I'm certain we'll win these matches (against Cuba and T&T), provided we play to our potential. However, and I'm sure it won't happen, but if we fail to take these games seriously, it'll be extremely difficult. Both countries are capable of very good football, but I'm still expecting two wins for us," he said on fifa.com.

"Mexico are our strongest opponents. Then there's Costa Rica, who always put out a good team. Canada are physically strong and improving technically all the time. Then you have T&T, who made it all the way last time. And there's always a surprise package, maybe Guatemala or Jamaica, who are very, very good. So there are a number of teams in with a chance."

Already looking ahead to South Africa 2010, Cherundolo added: "I think the tournament will be a real boost to South Africa's confidence as a nation, due to staging such a big event, building the stadiums and organising a successful tournament. I think it'll be an important factor for the years afterwards too, both financially and in terms of youth development.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:09:45 PM by E-man »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA midfielder confident of win over T&T
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »
and people does want to know why ah doh support de US...damn arrogance.. ..now if only we could get some pride and put them in dey place....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 10:27:59 PM »
We have pride. our team is not good enough......... yet!!!!!

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »
Yes....we are good enough....but....we must believe it.

We will be here in Chi-Town to support our Soca Warriors!

Soca Warriorrs you must believe...like we believe in you.

Big shout out....when you come to Chicago...we will be there for you...be there for us!

Ah hope some...if not all....know it is all about God....and your skills....believe in yourselves....and I hope you read this!

YOU CAN DO IT....DONT GIVE UP.....be prepared to out do yourselves.....OURSELVES!

IT is war.....and we prepared.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »
Cherundolo is an arrogant twat who probably couldn't make the T&T team himself

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
Cherundolo is a defender -- not a midfielder.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:09 AM »
6 points from Cuba and TnT...

I think that article should be posted in our locker room,
motivation enough to have mr defender eat his words.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:00:25 AM »
and people does want to know why ah doh support de US...damn arrogance.. ..now if only we could get some pride and put them in dey place....

You're entitiled to your opinion and all...but I don't see what's so arrogant about what he said..."I'm certain we'll win these matches (against Cuba and T&T), provided we play to our potential."  Let's face it, going off recent history...anytime we beat the US it's an upset.  If they play to their potential it will be difficult for us to beat them.  Frankly, if we were in their shoes and we were talking about a Jamaica... then we'd be perfectly correct as well.

Still... this should make for good locker room motivation all the same.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 04:05:20 AM »
we would be confident too if we were playing a side that hasn't beaten us in a competitive match in decades...or perhaps ever?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:07:13 AM by arrow »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 05:30:55 AM »
We wasn't arrogant facing Bermuda? Kenwyne and all was quoted as saying it would be like 2 practice matches. Do so ent like so? Cherundolo eh do a damn thing wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:34:22 AM by Monkey Genius »

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:37 AM »
was expecting the protestation.

Cherundolo ent say a damn thing wrong.

We just need to play to ours and see how it pans out.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 06:03:33 AM »
If you are a player in Cherundolo's shoes you would say the same thing if not worst...The man is confident in his team and needs to portray that especially to the media. Who do you think he would say is the best coach in the tournament...Bradley!! This type of talk comes with the territory and the way he phrased his comments covered his butt both ends..When we do indeed put a spanking on them he will turn around and say,"Trinidad & Tobago really took it to us today, we never really played to our potential". :rotfl:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:21 AM »
thank goodness for the sane responses from the latter group of posters. i was wondering if some of allyuh cannot read. nothing arrogent about what the man sasid. he is confident his side can win, but he explicitly said that T&T and Cuba can play good football and the US has to play to its potential and take the games seriously or they will be in trouble. The man went on to list  a set of teans in Concacaf, INCLUDING T&T, who the US have to watch out for. Steeups...some of allyuh is jess plain kix yes. We cyah beat the U.S home and away and I fully expect our players to be confident that they can win the home leg. Yet a man who team used to whetting we on de regular cyah be confident of victory...that supposed to be arrogance?  ::)

at the same time..I glad he said it. That is jess extra motivation for us. Jess the part where he said they expect the 6 points..doh show the players the rest. Manipulate that interview to fire up de troops. But lewwe study Guateh first. De Guatemalans have a nice side. Dat is the direct competition for us

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »
“I'm certain we'll win these matches (against  T&T)”,  This is what you chalk up on ah black board when you doing class room work with your team and fire them up! If we ent beat nobody else, Beat the US!   I want we to beat them bad, bad, bad.  :whip:
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:37:14 AM »
“I'm certain we'll win these matches (against T&T)”, This is what you chalk up on ah black board when you doing class room work with your team and fire them up! If we ent beat nobody else, Beat the US! I want we to beat them bad, bad, bad. :whip:

Man,I hope we beat that US team, Just to prove a point to them...

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
“I'm certain we'll win these matches (against T&T)”, This is what you chalk up on ah black board when you doing class room work with your team and fire them up! If we ent beat nobody else, Beat the US! I want we to beat them bad, bad, bad. :whip:

Man,I hope we beat that US team, Just to prove a point to them...

They like to run they mouth to much. It should only motivate and fire up yuh team to put hard lash on them. Hard tackle every time, especially fuh thee one who run he mouth.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:54:35 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »
What exactly did he say that was wrong.
Bulletin board motivation for the T & T team, but nothing out of line.
The last time we beat dem fellas was when Adam was a little boy.
In fact I don't even remember.
Until we beat them,they will continue to think it is a sure six points.
It is up to us to walk the talk.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 07:58:22 AM »
What exactly did he say that was wrong.
Bulletin board motivation for the T & T team, but nothing out of line.
The last time we beat dem fellas was when Adam was a little boy.
In fact I don't even remember.
Until we beat them,they will continue to think it is a sure six points.
It is up to us to walk the talk.

Well said, as said by other posters before, I'd put this up in the locker as a motivator....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »
D man ent lie.

At our best we never beat them in a WCQ.

Let it just pan out on the field.

Hope for the best and expect the worse.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
The thing is thee US ent really no football nation. They have money. We on de road with no shoe kicking ball bare feet, gehing buss foot and bo bo and thing... on thee beach playing football since we small anything we see, we kicking. Is we culture! US ent know nothing about that...so leh them go so with tha formality  of the game “soccer”. We have passion for the game.

What yuh want.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:09:59 AM by Weh-it-is »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 08:13:25 AM »
Well ususally when we refer to a small side as one that we sure to beat, we is pay the price ( a la Bermuda) so hopefully it work in our favour this time
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »
I read de headline and de fus thing come to mind was oh gosh what Donavon gone and say now...That being said de man could talk all he want, until we show  that we have what it takes to consistently beat the best teams in the region, we cyar fault de man for making dem comments....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
I look forward to the day when all of our players are as comfortable in the spokesperson role as Cherundolo comes across in those few paragraphs.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »
I want to see us beat the US. Let hope it eh turn out like USA vs Bimshire couple months ago cause with our defense and no midfield we ripe for it. The US would not send a 2nd team to play us watch for the full squad. Pressah.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
Win the game and talk done!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »
How is he being arrogant? Everything he said sounds about right to me
Hart for president

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
f#ck dem
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 09:21:08 AM »
The thing about these articles too is that usually, nothing is said about the question that was posed. A man responds to a question but only the response is printed. That could easily lead to interpretation of arrogance.

That said, I don't think it was an arrogant comment either. the man clearly noted that T&T is a capable team, but that he feels they can handle the challenge if they play to their full potential. Nutten wrong wit dat. I making the trip to see it unfold for miself.
Toujour Pret!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:53 AM »
De man eh lie..De last time we beat US in an international match was a friendly at the Haseley Crawford Stadium back in the mid nineties (can't remember the year). After dat, was defeat after defeat fuh we.

So, based on prior history, Cherundolo is justified in his statements.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »
allyuh fellas is sum jackass in here boy.. wey de facking man sey dat is so arrogant>. USA Have own TNT and they have de flicking right to say what dey want. Come September, TNT need to step there game up and then Things will be great.. If Anybobody should be upset should be Reggaefan.. de man outright diss De Reggaeboys class dem wid shitsquad Guatemala..
war
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>