April 26, 2024, 04:12:00 PM

Author Topic: T&T back on the rise  (Read 1524 times)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
T&T back on the rise
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
T&T back on the rise(FIFA.com) Thursday 28 August 2008
 Print Email to a friend Share

Trinidad and Tobago are back on track after coming perilously close to tumbling out of qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. Losing the first leg of their pre-qualifying series to Bermuda on home soil, the Germany 2006 finalists were forced to contemplate a disastrous early exit.

However, goals from Darryl Roberts and Stern John in Prospect saw the Soca Warriors steady their ship and limp into the first group stage of qualifying from North, Central America and the Caribbean. A 3-1 win over Cuba in their first Group game now has the Caribbean side edging the USA for top spot on goal difference, while spurring a jump of ten places up the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

Moving from 102nd to 92nd this month, the island side are finding a foothold even with their fair share of recent hardship. New coach Francisco ‘Pacho' Maturana, who took over from former boss Leo Beenhakker in February, has had to make do without the services of Sunderland ace Kenwyne Jones, who injured knee ligaments in a June friendly loss to England.

The Colombian boss has also been without Jones' Sunderland teammate and T&T's greatest-ever player, Dwight Yorke. After he fractured his cheekbone, the former Manchester United man's July pledge to return from international retirement and help the team in their qualifiers has proven a tough one to keep.

One of the men who has stepped into the void left by the dual injury blow is Keon Daniel, two-goal hero of T&T's recent 3-1 win over the Cubans in Havana. "We really wanted those three points against Cuba," said the United Petrotrin man and former U-20 international, recently linked with a move to England. "Now we just need to take heart from the progress we showed in that game and keep moving forward."

Guatemala test
Their next test will come against Guatemala in Port of Spain on 6 September. The Chapines are eight places behind T&T in the global standings (two behind them in the CONCACAF zone), and smarting from a slim 1-0 loss to the USA in their first group-stage qualifier.

Although the Central Americans will be out for blood against the Caribbean hopefuls, Cornell Glen - who also scored against the Cubans - is keen for the side to keep up the progress.

"The win over Cuba is the perfect start for us as we look ahead to our games with Guatemala and then the USA," the San Juan Jabloteh forward said. "Getting points on the road in our opener is a terrific boon for our confidence and we will just need to keep it up."

With sturdy recent performances in defence from Dennis Lawrence, Avery John and Clyde Leon, the Soca Warriors are firing on all cylinders even without their key injured pair. Maturana is hoping they can ride their current upswing in form further up the world ranking, and all the way to a second straight world finals in South Africa in 2010.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T back on the rise
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
1 day of sun does not make it a summer
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
yuh start back with the negative vibes?   ::)

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
hard play every day makes for a lovely day
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »
New coach Francisco ‘Pacho' Maturana, who took over from former boss Leo Beenhakker in February

With sturdy recent performances in defence from Dennis Lawrence, Avery John and Clyde Leon, the Soca Warriors are firing on all cylinders

I want a Fifa wok dread...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:36:52 PM »
U bury u head andstay positive winnin a game in d WCQ eh mean u back on d rise
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
We leaps and bounds from where we were just 2 months ago ,weary .We getting back players and when shit stick in they arse again Stern self  go come back ,yah hear Berris say Muturan is  start to shake and shit in he pants when they losing  :rotfl: .So  our biggest problem is the Coach which we cyah help rite now........my next problem is the non selection of some of our bright jabloteh starlets ,Mc comeh gone so it should not have an issue with these players returning ,bring them back and we at our full potential .
Muturana did good in spotting Gays impact ,but he give up on him ,we also losing Peltier ,Trent Noel Guerra ,and one more ,cant remember.and maybe other forgotten warriors from Wims regime
So the team coming back.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:51:53 PM by Quagmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »
Leaps and bounds I agree but more leaps 2 b made. We luv 2 celebrate 2 early

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:53:40 PM »
Yep we still up in shit creek ,but at least we have men who could paddle.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:30:28 AM »
Dat is an improvement Q

1]; } ?>