April 19, 2024, 04:40:55 PM

Author Topic: Govt must do its part for Warriors  (Read 3154 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Govt must do its part for Warriors
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:43 AM »
Without even looking at the content, from the time they repeatedly get the Minister's name wrong, the article lose all credibility before it start  ???

27th Aug, 2008
(Guardian Editorial)

http://www.guardian.co.tt/editorial.html

Given the importance of success in sports to the psyche of a nation, it is necessary for us to call, once again, for Minister Hart and Jack Warner to end the partisan politics and the verbal and written aggression.

In the midst of all the excitement and euphoria surrounding T&T’s two Olympic silver medals at the Beijing Games, the country’s footballers began their World Cup semi-final campaign in convincing style with a 3-1 whipping of Cuba.

When one considers that the game was played away from home, there is all the more reason for fans to be optimistic of the Soca Warriors’ chances of reaching South Africa in 2010.

They still have 15 matches to go before they arrive at that destination. These include five in this round—two against both the US and Guatemala and the return game against Cuba—while another ten await, providing the team is among the top two in its group at the end of this semi-final round.

The Warriors will then be involved in a home and away series involving six teams from which there are three guaranteed spots in South Africa, while the fourth-placed team will meet the fifth-placed team from South America in a play-off for the chance to put a fourth regional team in the finals.

Given all the negativity that has surrounded the campaign so far, it must be to the credit of all the team members that they were able to rise to the challenge and overcome Cuba in such an emphatic manner in the opening game.

Controversy and negativity appear to be the order of the day as Government and the Football Federation lock horns over the use of the Hasely Crawford Stadium for the home matches while the State’s reluctance to inject financial assistance for the team’s preparation remains a mystery.

These distractions, however, have not deterred the players. In true professional style, the negativity appears to have led the players to bond and they seem more determined than ever to show their detractors that they are going to South Africa in spite of all the obstacles.

They still have in their corner, Jack Warner, the Fifa vice president and local football’s benefactor. While there is no doubt that Warner has earned a great deal of money from his association with local and regional football, it is also true that he continues to dig deep into his pocket to maintain the integrity of the game here.

It may be that Warner’s political affiliation to the opposition United National Congress-Alliance has blinded Government as to its responsibility to the sport.

On the other hand, it may be that Warner has allowed his desire to score political points against the minister to get the better of him in some of his public statements, including one Warner issued last week in which he stated that Minister Hunt “deserves a gold medal for political indecency.”

Given the importance of success in sports to the psyche of a nation, it is necessary for us to call, once again, for Minister Hart and Warner to end the partisan politics and the verbal and written aggression for the good of T&T’s footballers, athletes, swimmers, cricketers and other sportsmen, sportswomen and especially sportschildren.

While it is clear that Minister Hart and Jack Warner need to end their feud in the interest of football, the two men need to go further. They must sit down with their technocrats and advisers and come up with the modalities by which the Government will fund the Road to South Africa.

As Warner hinted in the aforementioned statement, this funding must be sufficient to cover all the expenses of the effort. The minister must ensure, however, that there is full transparency on the issue of financial accountability—including the money that is disbursed by television and radio stations throughout the hemisphere for broadcast rights to the 2010 World Cup.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:11:29 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Govt must do its part for Warriors
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »
boy like people eh know the minister name
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
Hart or Hunt, just keep to that last sentence:

The minister must ensure, however, that there is full transparency on the issue of financial accountability—including the money that is disbursed by television and radio stations throughout the hemisphere for broadcast rights to the 2010 World Cup.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
I wonder who wrote that editorial. You means to says somebody in the editiorial staff  could not point out that the minister name is Hunt not Hart. You could see these people don't follow sports or at least football in a serious manner.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:21:59 PM »
I wonder who wrote that editorial. You means to says somebody in the editiorial staff  could not point out that the minister name is Hunt not Hart. You could see these people don't follow sports or at least football in a serious manner.

What... you really asking for some sort of journalistic standard?

This is the same paper, mind you.. which saw fit to publish an unattributed article about the alleged shambolic treatment of Hasely Crawford in Beijing... except that it didn't happen.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »
Boy i does really wonder what going on in this place,the topic is about Govt must do it's part for the Warriors and man gone of on the minister's name,the thing is they could put what ever name they want you and i know who they talking about,what's important is what Govt doing for the Warriors lets hear about that.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »
Why should the government do it's part? The government involvement with the warriors should be by choice and not a necessity. Imagine the government should pay out monies to an association where they don't have a say and cannot even get to see the books from the association. Give me a break. Let's us see what function each member of the TTFF have carried out in the last 2 years. Let us see what long term goals and the plans to achieve these goals the TTFF put in place. We like to look at the government, what have the TTFF done to make themselves independently sustainable?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
How about d TTFF payinn d 06 warriors maybe dat is y d govt eh givin dem money. Not 2 mention no accountability 4 d money dey get so far.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »
Without even looking at the content, from the time they repeatedly get the Minister's name wrong, the article lose all credibility before it start  ???

Would it not be more beneficial to look at the forest and not de trees? De correct name of de Minister is of least importance in the editorial.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »
anbrat,
           You can't be serious.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »
Any chile in Primary school suppose 2 know who is d Minister dem but deditorial have it wrong. Leh we hope d chile eh readin d papers 2 get d info
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:37:28 AM »
anbrat,
           You can't be serious.

In the context of which I speak, of course I am serious. I am of the view that the focus of this forum is geared towards issues related to T&T football and therefore if all attention is directed on what appears to be an oversight in the spelling of a name, then we are undeniably way off course. If, however, we are discussing journalistic standards and not the main message of the editorial, then I humbly withdraw my initial comments as that is a different story altogether.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 07:45:00 AM by anbrat »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
Before we reach to Gov't doing its part for this group of Warriors....where de last setta money that the Government give?
Where de money Jack??!!.....Where de money??

Which reminds me.....where de damn arbitrator and de figures that he was suppose to decide on??....is almost September now.... ??? :-\ >:(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
How about d TTFF payinn d 06 warriors maybe dat is y d govt eh givin dem money. Not 2 mention no accountability 4 d money dey get so far.
        How Lincoln,Anton,Pacho etc etc getting paid i thought was the government,what i find funny is that everything going orn,on schedule,the players who eh get pay playing,the stadium available so home games don't have to be played abroad,tournaments taking place at all levels,teams playing friendlies at home and abroad,WC qualifying start.
        Imagine all that without government help, if we saying government should not help then the question should be asked, where the money coming from and not where it's going.   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
JW payin dem I Blieve because d first set ah money dey get dey eh no accountability. As 4 LP I blieve he get sorted out through SPORTT.

What does get me vex bout dem journalist and I did expect betta from Tony Fraser dey does write what dey tink peeps want 2 hear instead ah what dey need 2 hear like why u rob d boys dem, where d KMPG audited acts and d list could go on etc etc

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »
the TTFF pays for it all... is just someone holding the money
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »
Boy i does really wonder what going on in this place,the topic is about Govt must do it's part for the Warriors and man gone of on the minister's name,the thing is they could put what ever name they want you and i know who they talking about,what's important is what Govt doing for the Warriors lets hear about that.

I does try my best to bite my tongue when it comes to you yes dred.

The point is that the article is biased and one-side... anybody with a brain and no agenda could see that.   For instance... it still calling fuh de gov't to 'resolve' the stadium issue.  Resolve what again?  Gary Hunt done back down from his original position and reduce de price for the use of the Stadium...Hunt HAS DONE HIS PART.   What else allyuh want 'de government' to do?

Government should step up and spend more taxpayer money and the TTFF shouldn't be obligated to account for how it's spent?  They should pour money in... and then neither them nor the football fans have any kind of say or accountability on team matters?  The TTFF is a private enterprise.. how much money should gov't really be spending on them?

I really doh expect you to respond with any answers to my questions... as usual you'll respond with "breds I understand what yuh saying"... then go on to 'clarify' yuh position.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:46 PM »
anbrat,
           You can't be serious.

In the context of which I speak, of course I am serious. I am of the view that the focus of this forum is geared towards issues related to T&T football and therefore if all attention is directed on what appears to be an oversight in the spelling of a name, then we are undeniably way off course. If, however, we are discussing journalistic standards and not the main message of the editorial, then I humbly withdraw my initial comments as that is a different story altogether.

You either being deliberately obtuse, or haven't been following the situation with the TTFF to appreciate why people are responding in the manner they are.  Either way you miss the point spectacularly... our dismissal of the 'article' isn't as superficial as your reading suggests.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »
I have a palour I opening soon and needs some funds from the government. One or two national players does buy "Tea Time, Solo, the occasional Red Mango and Tambrind Ball" by me so in seeking our national interest the government should fund my venture.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

27th Aug, 2008
(Guardian Editorial)

http://www.guardian.co.tt/editorial.html

While it is clear that Minister Hart and Jack Warner need to end their feud in the interest of football, the two men need to go further. They must sit down with their technocrats and advisers and come up with the modalities by which the Government will fund the Road to South Africa.

As Warner hinted in the aforementioned statement, this funding must be sufficient to cover all the expenses of the effort. The minister must ensure, however, that there is full transparency on the issue of financial accountability—including the money that is disbursed by television and radio stations throughout the hemisphere for broadcast rights to the 2010 World Cup.

Read carefully what I highlighted and put in bold. This "writer/journalist" don't have a clue.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »

Would it not be more beneficial to look at the forest and not de trees? De correct name of de Minister is of least importance in the editorial.

Don't understand how you claim that to be the least important.

How credible are any of the facts/opinions expressed in the article if something as simple as the name of the minister of sport they can't get correct; in fact get repeatedly incorrect.

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 02:23:43 PM »

I does try my best to bite my tongue when it comes to you yes dred.

The point is that the article is biased and one-side... anybody with a brain and no agenda could see that.   For instance... it still calling fuh de gov't to 'resolve' the stadium issue.  Resolve what again?  Gary Hunt done back down from his original position and reduce de price for the use of the Stadium...Hunt HAS DONE HIS PART.   What else allyuh want 'de government' to do?

Government should step up and spend more taxpayer money and the TTFF shouldn't be obligated to account for how it's spent?  They should pour money in... and then neither them nor the football fans have any kind of say or accountability on team matters?  The TTFF is a private enterprise.. how much money should gov't really be spending on them?

I really doh expect you to respond with any answers to my questions... as usual you'll respond with "breds I understand what yuh saying"... then go on to 'clarify' yuh position.
        Bakes all i was refering to was what the headline/topic called for because before i posted my tread everybody was going off on the minister's name,it does not matter to me who spend or who don't spend money on Football,once Football going on i fine,i'm about Football and try to keep away from all this politics people on,i realize long time everything here have a anti JW/TTFF overtone. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:22:41 PM by Coop's »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »
  WHEY DE MONEY JACK??!!!...WHEY DE MONEY GONE??!!!    
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>