March 28, 2024, 04:05:52 AM

Author Topic: 22-man squad named for clash with Guatemala.  (Read 6138 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
22-man squad named for clash with Guatemala.
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
22-man squad named for clash with Guatemala.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

With just over a week to go before this country’s next 2010 World Cup qualifier at home to Guatemala, head coach Francisco Maturana has announced a 22-man provisional squad for the encounter at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on September 6.

The squad will have a return of several of the members from the one which came away 3-1 winners over Cuba in Havana on August 20. There are call ups for in form Swansea City striker Jason Scotland and Toronto FC defender Julius James while Sunderland midfielder Dwight Yorke is also on the list of invited overseas professionals. Yorke made a return from injury with a 70-minute run for Sunderland’s Reserves last week. Sunderland midfielder Carlos Edwards is also in the squad.

Defence Force defender Aklie Edwards is also in the squad and will be eligible for action in the qualifiers having completed a four-match suspension for a red card offense in an Olympic qualifier against Cuba earlier this year.

Among the other home-based pros include midfielder Keon Daniel, the double scorer against Cuba as well as Densill Theobald, Anthony Wolfe, Clyde Leon and goalkeeper Marvin Phillips. Maturana has also included Khaleem Hyland in the squad. He received a red card against Cuba but is expected to be available for the clash with United States in Chicago on September 10.

“The squad remains almost the same but you know we are always looking to try for improvements. We will be working towards it because it is possible that the next two teams (Guatemala and USA) will play a different game to Cuba,” Maturana told TTF Media.

“Against Cuba I think we remained disciplined in the field and we continued a similar game from the one against El Salvador. That was a positive indication of our progress. Now we will try to keep that going and prepare as best as we can for Guatemala and America,” he added. Maturana will see his players again when training resumes on Monday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Meantime, members of the squad which completed the win over Cuba were each offered a letter of congratulations from the TTFF for their efforts in Havana.

“It is with great pleasure that I offer these short yet heartfelt words of congratulations to you and all your other team mates on your success in your first game in this the semi-final rounds of the World Cup 2010 qualifiers,” TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner wrote.

“As I had stated to you just prior to the game, this game was especially important as the first at this stage, the most difficult phase of the tournament. I am proud that you heeded my words and came out of the encounter with a victory, and with the highest margin of all the games played in this segment by all the teams. This could prove to be very decisive later down the road and you are to be commended in converting most of your chances into goals, which as you can attest, are what wins matches.

The three points earned is a great first step. There is much work to be done and therefore now is not the time for complacency. Bask in your victory, but always keep in mind that it will not get easier. All teams have a burning desire to get to the World Cup. You must want it more and demonstrate this hunger for victory. With hard work and conviction that it can be done; it will be done!! You will always have my support and that of the T&TFF. Congratulations on this game, even as you continue to keep your eye on the main prize and do your team mates and your country proud,” Warner concluded. Tickets for the T&T versus Guatemala clash are now available via 800-fans and through online bookings at www.ttffonline.com/shop

T&T 22-man squad

Goalkeepers
Marvin Phillip (W Connection), Jan Michael Williams (Ferencvaros)

Defenders
Makan Hislop (United Petrotrin), Avery John (Miami F.C.), Dennis Lawrence (Swansea City), Cyd Gray (Clico San Juan Jabloteh), Julius James (Toronto F.C.), Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public F.C.), Aklie Edwards (Defence Force), Osei Telesford (Puerto Rico Islanders).

Midfielders
Carlos Edwards (Sunderland AFC), Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars), Densill Theobald (Caledonia AIA), Dwight Yorke (Sunderland AFC), Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), Clyde Leon (W Connection), Khaleem Hyland (Unattached), Kerry Baptiste (Joe Public F.C), Akeil Guevera (North East Stars).

Forwards
Andre Toussaint (W Connection), Jason Scotland (Swansea City), Cornell Glen (Unattached).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:05:07 AM by Flex »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke in 22-man squad for clash with Guatemala
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:29 PM »
Yorke still better than most of our midfielders today so I happy he in de roster

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:16 PM »

Having yorke is a definate plus, plus he may help fill the stadium for the waggionist them.......smile jack smile

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:10:48 PM »
I glad to see Scotty get call back...hope he do he ting on the day, scotland and glenn in front could be trouble...hope glenn been workin on his fitness, and patience
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »

Having yorke is a definate plus, plus he may help fill the stadium for the waggionist them.......smile jack smile

Ent. He go real seal tickets.

Glad for Scotty and welcome Julius James who deserve a Spot over like of Akilie Edwards.   Scotland should start up front with Glen,  He's back in shape thanks to his manager making him run real lapses and got surgury

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 07:26:56 AM »
juliussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

big up nasshy do yuh ting one time
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
Yorke still better than most of our midfielders today so I happy he in de roster

based on what...when was the last time anyone see Yorke play a competitive match.

technically he better than anyone we have, and his experience could be a plus in the dressing room and in the dying minutes if we holding on to a slim lead. but the idea that Yorke still better than anyone we have becasue his name is Yorke is a leap of faith.

I gald he there for the reasons I mention, but if he could still perform as a starter, I would be pleasantly suprised

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
Hmm...we almost at full strength now.
Is either Scotty or Stern, not both...and like Scotty back, so Stern hadda get off the bench at Southampton and start to bang in some goals to get attention again.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 22-man squad named for clash with Guatemala.
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »
Is either Scotty or Stern, not both...and like Scotty back, so Stern hadda get off the bench at Southampton and start to bang in some goals to get attention again.

he will :beermug:

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:56:57 AM »

How could a Trinidad and Tobago team missing:

Ince, Jack, Sancho, Birchall, Whitley, Hyland, Samuel, Jones, Roberts and STERN be almost full strength?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
No Chris Birchall, Stern John and Darryl Roberts but yet a suspended Hyland got called to keep fit, and three fridge players (Kerry Baptiste, Akeil Guevera and Aklie Edwards)...

I saw Osei Telesford play two days ago, this man is a waste in midfield, for Puerto Rico he was running without an idea, he lucky he end up scoring. I believe he is good at right back and he cant play over Gray and Birchall is a better defence midfielder.

Seems Whitley injury is bad... or so they telling us when maybe he was kicked out...

Bravo !!! bravo !!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:04:23 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:11:14 AM »
The fact that Hyland is in the squad means that this is the team that they would be using for both games........

Brichall - Remember he came off early in the last game due to injury.  So he very well might still be injured.

Whitley - Still injured.

Roberts - I confused

John -  I confused

Good to see James, Yorke and Scotland in the squad.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
They call 22 men so they could play full field scrimmage.

But No Whitley...he must be injured bad.

No Stern...they playing up in they arse.

Watch the line up

4-4-2

Phillips

Cyd       James/Thomas    Lawrence    Avery

Edwards    Yorke   Theobold/Leon    Daniel

Scotland     Glenn

If we play 4-5-1  they will take out Scotland and put both Theobold and Leon.

I think unless James real impress in training the coach will not lose faith in Hislop or Thomas to partner Lawrence. They have an understanding is plenty games they play together. But I would give james the chance.

Stern woulda make a difference on this side...I woulda rest Toussaint for him.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

TrinInfinite

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 09:11:43 AM »
they wont play 442 against guat, they playing 451, they may transition into a 442 later in the game if needed but i doubt they starting in that formation

phillips

gray    james       lawrence     john

leon

edwards          yorke       bleeder     daniel

glen

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
james is more of a left back than a left centre back so i think is avery he go be vying for

and if he look composed in traing i aint go be suprised if he get subbed on in the guatemala and start in usa after avery get a wild man red :beermug:

still no stern no peace and a depleted strike force go always mean we lookin for goals from the middle

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
my client would play and position given but he prefers to play in the middle or on the right

personally i would put him right in front of the back 4. de man could pass
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 09:45:51 AM »
my client would play and position given but he prefers to play in the middle or on the right

personally i would put him right in front of the back 4. de man could pass

we bunnin fire on telesford for da position

julius for captain

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »
james is more of a left back than a left centre back so i think is avery he go be vying for

and if he look composed in traing i aint go be suprised if he get subbed on in the guatemala and start in usa after avery get a wild man red :beermug:

still no stern no peace and a depleted strike force go always mean we lookin for goals from the middle

James have no left foot, yuh ever see him play?  Right now julius best opportunity to make the team is center defence because makan hislop is ah goat.  Julius is not a wing back but if push come to shove he could possibly play right back.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 11:01:29 AM »
Hislop a real goat
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »
De lack of speed in central defence against Guatemala is something that worrying me.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »

James have no left foot, yuh ever see him play?  Right now julius best opportunity to make the team is center defence because makan hislop is ah goat.  Julius is not a wing back but if push come to shove he could possibly play right back.

no left foot??? beenhakar would disagree with you. that was the position beenie liked him best.

P.S. my player could play any position. even midfield
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »

Ince, Jack, Sancho, Birchall, Whitley, Hyland, Samuel, Jones, Roberts and STERN be almost full strength?

I assumed Birchall injured..but

- Roberts is not a surety as one of our top 4 strikers IMHO. He get a contract through Wim and he automatically jump over everybody else who come out of University and in the Pro league without doing anything spectacular that set him apart from the rest.

- Samuel just didn't turn up for a game...no other national team in the world forgiving a fringe player for that. He will have to wait until the next regime. If big players like Anelka and Totti paid the price for turing down national team call-ups, who is Samuel? Plus the new left midfielder now score a double in the last game.

- Sancho and Jack not sweating and this combined with the desire to build for the future means they not indispensible and should not stand in the way of a younger player trying to fulfil potential. Please note that with Jack and Sancho back, it is Phillips, jan Michael, Makan Hislop and Julius James who not getting experience. So in 2011, when all of them gone again, we will have 27 year old players who now trying to fulfil potential when they should already be in their prime. Is not like the cupboard bare in those two spots, we have replacements.

- Ince was third choice keeper and I don't see the problem with giving two young keepers the chance to stake a claim "without a disruptive influence". In addition, he do ta-ta against Bermuda and paying the price for that.

Hyland and Whitley in the mix barring injury and suspension. So i really doh see how saying almost full strength is a problem.

You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »

- Roberts is not a surety as one of our top 4 strikers IMHO. He get a contract through Wim and he automatically jump over everybody else who come out of University and in the Pro league without doing anything spectacular that set him apart from the rest.

- Samuel just didn't turn up for a game...no other national team in the world forgiving a fringe player for that. He will have to wait until the next regime. If big players like Anelka and Totti paid the price for turing down national team call-ups, who is Samuel? Plus the new left midfielder now score a double in the last game.

- Sancho and Jack not sweating and this combined with the desire to build for the future means they not indispensible and should not stand in the way of a younger player trying to fulfil potential. Please note that with Jack and Sancho back, it is Phillips, jan Michael, Makan Hislop and Julius James who not getting experience. So in 2011, when all of them gone again, we will have 27 year old players who now trying to fulfil potential when they should already be in their prime. Is not like the cupboard bare in those two spots, we have replacements.

- Ince was third choice keeper and I don't see the problem with giving two young keepers the chance to stake a claim "without a disruptive influence". In addition, he do ta-ta against Bermuda and paying the price for that.

Hyland and Whitley in the mix barring injury and suspension. So i really doh see how saying almost full strength is a problem.

thank you spider.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:31:25 AM by omarldinho »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »

no left foot??? beenhakar would disagree with you. that was the position beenie liked him best.

P.S. my player could play any position. even midfield

we will see, just because beenie prefer something doh mean he always right.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »
Hmmm...de Bakr boy get dropped........Say what

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

Watch the line up

4-4-2

Phillips

Scotland     Glenn

I think unless James real impress in training the coach will not lose faith in Hislop or Thomas to partner Lawrence. They have an understanding is plenty games they play together. But I would give james the chance.

REST ALONE??!!

Man dis fella is flat out not good enough to play international football!! - Based on the one time I have seen him play  ;D ;D

but shucks man...touches is touches ...if yuh cyar trap yuh cyar trap...if yuh lazy  ... yuh lazy..(good ting Stern does at least score)....

Toussaint cannot be the best local based striker in Trinidad!  

From watching the JP/Revs game the other night ...I find Saunders could even get a call up..hard nosed..tackles well ...keeps the game simple.

PACHO - please stop picking Toussaint Please!!! ah beg yuh!!!
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

Watch the line up

4-4-2

Phillips

Scotland     Glenn

Nah cyar start on his debut.  But will be a starter by the time the Hex start!
 :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »

WIM How did WIM  do that? roberts is with a mlf sports and has an agent ..  AND he is wayyyy better than toussaint
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 01:53:23 PM »
Fellas Julius James is a centre back...not a wing back or midfielder...allyuh jus giving de man new position out ah de blue...

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

WIM How did WIM  do that? roberts is with a mlf sports and has an agent ..  AND he is wayyyy better than toussaint

Amen Bredda!!! .....

1]; } ?>