April 26, 2024, 11:37:59 AM

Author Topic: Chris Birchall's hurt at omission.  (Read 10107 times)

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
Chris Birchall's hurt at omission.
« on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »
Chris Birchall's hurt at omission.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Chris Birchall is love sick these days. In love with football. But sick to the stomach after being left out of Trinidad and Tobago next two World Cup football qualifiers. The "Soca Warriors"-minus the Coventry City midfielder-are due to see action in two important World Cup qualifiers in the next week.

They play a home match against Guatemala next Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, before facing the United States on September 10 in Chicago. Birchall, who played the first half in T&T's 3-1 victory over Cuba on August 20, has apparently now made way for the return of former national captain Dwight Yorke.

The Englishman had looked T&T's most lively midfielder and set up the Soca Warriors first chance against Cuba. His diagonal cross in the opening five minutes picked out double goalscorer Keon Daniel, who in turn tried to square the ball towards lone striker Cornell Glen.

However, near the half, Birchall went down clutching his gut and was taken off as a result of stomach cramps. He was replaced by young Khaleem Hyland, who is now also out of the squad after picking up a red card against Cuba.

However, Hyland is available to play against the Americans. Englishman Birchall is not so much hurt by being dropped, but rather T&T's record goal-scorer.

John was dropped after scoring his 69 international goals in 104 international appearances following the match against Bermuda on June 22. Birchall believes that matter could have been handled in a better way.

"I received a text message saying my services aren't needed for the upcoming qualifier. No phone call," Birchall said when contacted by the Express.

He also wanted to clear the air on any rumour that he may be injured. Birchall says that he is fully fit, and ready to play football.

"I am not injured and I never was, "he insisted.

"I had food poisoning in Cuba. I came off because I was seconds away from fainting and couldn't breath, and had bad cramps.

"But, I tried to fight it as much as I could for the team but obviously that was not good enough for the Federation," Birchall said.

Meanwhile, Soca Warriors manager David Muhammad dismissed any notion that Birchall was left out because of injury.

Muhammad, who is already in Chicago making arrangements for the match against the USA, says that the choice of players is based on many factors. He said all these factors are discussed, before head coach Francisco Maturana decides which players he needs according to the opponents to be faced.

"It is not every time that a player is not selected, that we are going to issue an explanation," Muhammad said.

"This is just the squad that the coach wants at this time."

Muhammad said that to date, they had made several changes to the team's line-up, with players going out and being re-called for matches in which their talent is deemed necessary.

Muhammad mentioned that Toronto FC defender Julius James was getting a call to the national team for the first time and that changes were part of building a strong unit. Muhammad said in the end, just 18 players can be selected for an one game, thus someone will always be left out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:48:13 AM by Flex »
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Look de answer here bout Birchall not selected
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:34:31 PM »
This man M'hmmed still in d Nation of Islam if is yes then Farakan needs 2 b contacted. When have we ever been given an explination as 2 y a player has not been selected. At least we get BM? answer bout Hyland he can play v USA.

TTFF FYI TSTT have a package call Smart choice d rates 4 overseas call cheaperte so invest in it and call d players d text ting eh cuttin it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »
Maturana and Corneal are a joke... This is disgusting how our national heroes are being treated...its not to say yea the man play shit fine drop him...he was willing to kill himself with pain to play for us and this is how we repay him and especially Stern

This is sickening...Hopefully Yorkie comes back here and causes a full cleanout and breath of fresh air...cuz yuh know jack cant tell him no

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 02:58:35 AM »
Why allyuh doh let Maturana and them coach the team?!

Every omission, every move, is ah set of old talk and cussin.

People bawl when he drop Stern and we still drop three on Cuba.

Now he drop Birchall and people bawling again.

Let the coach coach.  He has been getting good results.  When the results get consistently bad then you have a reason to open your mouth.  Until then, relax and enjoy nah.  The team made light work of an active and dangerous Cuba team in Havana.  Can he get any credit for that?

A word to the players who gripe and complain in the press when dropped or not selected: cool allyuh self.  Nobody is bigger than the team.  If you are in the player pool that means you are either selected, or not selected.  You say that the technical staff is unprofessional by sending texts when you are ommited, but then you act equally unprofessional when you go and use the press to gripe and complain. Many, MANY coaches across the globe do not take public criticism by players about private team matters lightly.  Tread carefully.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
Maturana has not settled on a starting 11 .... baptiste was called up dropped now called back ......
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »

Let the coach coach.  He has been getting good results.  When the results get consistently bad then you have a reason to open your mouth.  Until then, relax and enjoy nah.  The team made light work of an active and dangerous Cuba team in Havana.  Can he get any credit for that?

These are teams which we have beaten  before ..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 04:38:28 AM »
Take a bow Jayouth,yuh tek de words right outta meh friggin mout.Dem fellas question every move by the coach although the team is doing well enough,I would hate to think what they would do if we wuz doing bad.Sometimes they frighten meh. 8) 8) 8)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:41:46 AM »
As you say we have beaten these teams before but that dont mean we have a divine right to beat dem all de time,you are only as good as yuh last match.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 05:25:45 AM »
Why allyuh doh let Maturana and them coach the team?!

Every omission, every move, is ah set of old talk and cussin.

People bawl when he drop Stern and we still drop three on Cuba.

Now he drop Birchall and people bawling again.

A word to the players who gripe and complain in the press when dropped or not selected: cool allyuh self.  Nobody is bigger than the team.  If you are in the player pool that means you are either selected, or not selected.  You say that the technical staff is unprofessional by sending texts when you are ommited, but then you act equally unprofessional when you go and use the press to gripe and complain. Many, MANY coaches across the globe do not take public criticism by players about private team matters lightly.  Tread carefully.

Well said king.                                                          positive
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 06:00:49 AM »
next week i will hear all mouths talking, whether good or bad. time will tell
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 06:01:29 AM »
Jah Youth

dont attack the posters nah man, i read all the above post, yes they may not like the fact that certain players are not selected

but no one would be knocking that issue if the ommission was done in a more respectfull manner.

its the two word text thing. Had me wondering if they running low on credit with a prepaid phone or something

In fact I AM SURE B-MOBILE WOULD BE HAPPY TO SPONSOR THEM SAY A $500.00 CREDIT PER GAME TO CALL OUR FOOTBALLING HEROS
just to say stern boy, pancho feels this forward line is adequate for this game, we will call you for the more difficult games or something

Let Pancho do his job, But the back staff of the TTFF sucks and are a bunch of cowards. It takes a big man to pick up the phone and make such a call out of respect

They are acting like teenagers breaking up with their girlfriend/boyfreind, send a text !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 06:07:31 AM »
Mataburro and he clan are a bunch of jokers. Forget who get dropped etc. It's the manner in which they communicate with these players that are bin question in my book. According to Russel Peters "be ah man".. pick up the blasted phone and call the fellas and say, you're not needed this rongs and this is why. Common courtesy!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 06:21:53 AM »
Mataburro and he clan are a bunch of jokers. Forget who get dropped etc. It's the manner in which they communicate with these players that are bin question in my book. According to Russel Peters "be ah man".. pick up the blasted phone and call the fellas and say, you're not needed this rongs and this is why. Common courtesy!

exactly breds, 
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Birchall's hurt at omission.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
dis whole ting remindin me of One Missed Call

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 07:24:48 AM »
Say what you want about getting results etc., the fact of the matter is the coach is a f*#king madman.  How can Birchall be good enough to start in a WCQ match and then 3 weeks later not be good enough to be part of a 22-man squad?  Meanwhile Hyland who was obviously 2nd choice behind Birchall in the pecking order and only played after he was injured, picked up a stupid red card and is only available for 1 of the 2 matches coming up is still in the squad?  Same thing goes for Stern, Roberts, Forbes etc. etc. one minute they good enough to be playing in important WCQ matches next thing they orf the squad completely?  But Toussaint still there even though he hasn't been good enough to get a minute of playing time in a WCQ so far.  Just madness.

Has Maturana done such in-depth scouting to be confident that Birchall's game is only suited to playing against Cuba and he will not be effective against Guatemala or USA, but Hyland and Akeil Guevera will?  I THINK NOT.  He might be a good coach (wait till we play stronger opposition before we pat him on the back) but his selection policy is pure f&#king madness!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »
All who say let d coach coach I hope all yuh go b just as happy wen all yuh c all yuh wuk being advertised in d papers. Dat go b d equivalent way all yuh findin out accordin 2 d Donald yuh fired
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 07:29:13 AM »
Say what you want about getting results etc., the fact of the matter is the coach is a f*#king madman.  How can Birchall be good enough to start in a WCQ match and then 3 weeks later not be good enough to be part of a 22-man squad?  Meanwhile Hyland who was obviously 2nd choice behind Birchall in the pecking order and only played after he was injured, picked up a stupid red card and is only available for 1 of the 2 matches coming up is still in the squad?  Same thing goes for Stern, Roberts, Forbes etc. etc. one minute they good enough to be playing in important WCQ matches next thing they orf the squad completely?  But Toussaint still there even though he hasn't been good enough to get a minute of playing time in a WCQ so far.  Just madness.

Has Maturana done such in-depth scouting to be confident that Birchall's game is only suited to playing against Cuba and he will not be effective against Guatemala or USA, but Hyland and Akeil Guevera will?  I THINK NOT.  He might be a good coach (wait till we play stronger opposition before we pat him on the back) but his selection policy is pure f&#king madness!

i concur....ppl bawlin he gettin results but is results against who??...i cya call myself sweet man cuz i get tru wit rel bad ting..

TrinInfinite

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »
there is a method to the madness as they say  :devil: :rotfl:

God is de BOSS....

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Say what you want about getting results etc., the fact of the matter is the coach is a f*#king madman.  How can Birchall be good enough to start in a WCQ match and then 3 weeks later not be good enough to be part of a 22-man squad?  Meanwhile Hyland who was obviously 2nd choice behind Birchall in the pecking order and only played after he was injured, picked up a stupid red card and is only available for 1 of the 2 matches coming up is still in the squad?  Same thing goes for Stern, Roberts, Forbes etc. etc. one minute they good enough to be playing in important WCQ matches next thing they orf the squad completely?  But Toussaint still there even though he hasn't been good enough to get a minute of playing time in a WCQ so far.  Just madness.

Has Maturana done such in-depth scouting to be confident that Birchall's game is only suited to playing against Cuba and he will not be effective against Guatemala or USA, but Hyland and Akeil Guevera will?  I THINK NOT.  He might be a good coach (wait till we play stronger opposition before we pat him on the back) but his selection policy is pure f&#king madness!
[/b]

THANK YOU VERY FRIGGIN MUCH ARROW!! look is all well and good for some ah we to dress back and say let "the coach coach' eh, but jed wha kinda forumite yuh go be if yuh just sit dong dey and eh say nutten when de cacaholeness continues.

my point (very humbly) is, if men want to give dey opinion bout dis, so what? men does be talking all kinda out-ah-timing-talk bout all kinda sh#t here, so if men have ah lil opinion on we one lil piece ah white boy who friggin help we reach WC '06, oh God allow men to say dey piece nah.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »
Its my view that the coach should hold a one a e one conversation with the players informing them of his plans for them one  way or the other and by doing so we will avoid players airing their grievances in the press and on a forum such as soca warriors .net

This gives the impression that the TTFF has no policy when handling such matters as its not the first time we have been down this road,also it appears that there are two distinctly different policy for players,those who are unattached and those who have a club

Well I take it pays to have a GODFATHER

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
Impression what policy oh yr d Under 20's in d SL

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »
1 Message Received

From +8686857744, 3:22am UK:

oye gringo. no need svcs 4 guat n usa.
u play good en cuba but los cornealos no like u lol.
siempre su amigo, pacho.
[/font]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:53:10 AM by omarldinho »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:01 AM »
Say what you want about getting results etc., the fact of the matter is the coach is a f*#king madman.  How can Birchall be good enough to start in a WCQ match and then 3 weeks later not be good enough to be part of a 22-man squad?  Meanwhile Hyland who was obviously 2nd choice behind Birchall in the pecking order and only played after he was injured, picked up a stupid red card and is only available for 1 of the 2 matches coming up is still in the squad?  Same thing goes for Stern, Roberts, Forbes etc. etc. one minute they good enough to be playing in important WCQ matches next thing they orf the squad completely?  But Toussaint still there even though he hasn't been good enough to get a minute of playing time in a WCQ so far.  Just madness.

Has Maturana done such in-depth scouting to be confident that Birchall's game is only suited to playing against Cuba and he will not be effective against Guatemala or USA, but Hyland and Akeil Guevera will?  I THINK NOT.  He might be a good coach (wait till we play stronger opposition before we pat him on the back) but his selection policy is pure f&#king madness!

preach it arrow..

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »

my point (very humbly) is, if men want to give dey opinion bout dis, so what? men does be talking all kinda out-ah-timing-talk bout all kinda sh#t here, so if men have ah lil opinion on we one lil piece ah white boy who friggin help we reach WC '06, oh God allow men to say dey piece nah.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :beermug:i love this !!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:21:46 AM »
Pat him on heback we pass dat stage longggggggg time. We have a boss coach 2010 4 sure. I don start 2 seek meh SA money we goin d dumbtist takin we 2 d big dance.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
I have no problems with men not getting pick but give a little explanation please nah. Call the player and tell him hear is what happening "yuh still in we plans for down d road but for this game we going and try something different." How hard is that.

My opinion......Birchall is need for the Guatemala game to deal with the physical play in the middle. The only other player we have rough and tumble in the mid is Whitley and he out. Yorke, Theobald and Hyland in the mid cannot compete with mad man Ruiz and the next one.

I want to believe that a Theobald, Yorke  and Birchall midfield look to much like 06 team. Yorke have to play so who to drop? The management want to show they not copying Mr. Beenhaker. They very close to it, but not quite.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 03:26:46 PM »
New addition 2 kit of national players based overseas a cell phone. Dat cell ting is 4 foreign players because d locals probably on b mobile and dem text have been known 2 come on a snail back man go turn at d HCS and eh go b able 2 get in

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
Fellas how much a you'll really play ball? Explain to me how yuh on a starting 11 today and off the entire squad of 22 players tomorrow.Explain that one to me.This is madness..... unsettling the players and therefore the entire team.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 04:13:53 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the omission; it's the coach's perogative.

There was a lot of clamouring for Birchall to be back in the mix; he gave him two  bligh and in Pacho's opinion did nothing worthy of securing a regular place, punto final.

I doh see the problem and don't see why he 'deserves' to give us an explanation and tell us all the criteria he uses in selecting a team.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:15:45 PM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
People coaches do not have to give players explanantions for not selecting them...

My opinion is dat..there a few midfielders who should not have been chosen instead of Birchall

1]; } ?>