April 24, 2024, 03:08:44 PM

Author Topic: CONCACAF Next Round. Fixtures, Standings & More.  (Read 32979 times)

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF Next Round.
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »

Are our home games ..AT HOME or AWAY?

Offline TRINIMITCH

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Photobucket
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »

Are our home games ..AT HOME or AWAY?

Ah think that still to be decided depending on the mood JACKULA in. We will soon find out he bound to give some kinna press release.
PROUD TO BE MALICK

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica is Tops in round 2
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:50 AM »
They was the only team to share consitient licks. Simoes have them in form

But they in the group of death so we will see how far they go.

Mexico will go through, Honduras is a good squad and Canada hungry.
This is like the Hex for Jamaica, it will all depend on the start, if you can start with six points from the first 2 games everything get easy from there.

Trinidad to battle Cuba and Guate, the problem is that cuba does always give we problem they is we boggey side but at least we have a chance

Costa Rica sitting pretty, I suprised Guyana get bump, shabazz let a golden opportunity slip away. I would have love to see Grenada in the group stages,

If Trinidad get we act together off the field with the Blacklist and get back the togetherness in the side we could battle CUBA and Guate and come out to the Hex, but at the present rate we looking for excuse.

Imagine we in a must win and stern on the bench for a U17 man.....madness....maybe they was resting him for second half but that is real madness.

Side getting changed with no explaination, players getting leave out, coaching changing and every week is a different comess.

Just when you think that we had all the bachanal we could possible get somebody invent a different kind we aint see yet.

we need help.....as a people on the whole.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica is Tops in round 2
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »
Maybe they will peak too early.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »
did you guys actually see the game?
they got the flattering result but did not look good
i would say they are far from form
even Rf say they did not look good

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »
Steupse..How is Jamaica top for second round or tops in round 2!..when Mexico, Honduras and the U.S had better performances in the first round...maybe you are basing this on the amount of goals JA scored against Bahamas...these topics are becoming more and more amazing
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:27:02 AM by Sando prince »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2008, 11:26:36 AM »
Mexico will be repaired
Honduras ... no present comment
Jamaica ... deficient ... but durable
Canada ... Jamaica could outdo them

I don't believe this group will work out to be a group of death.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Panama Vs Elsavado highlights
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »
dat game was drama Boy.. I was supporting Panama .. Hard luck Panama!!!!!!!!!
http://www.telemetro.com/deportes/futbol/2008/06/22/nota15086.html
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
T&T open against Cuba, click here
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So we are through to the next round
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »
no thanks to Maturana/Corneal. What awaits the warriors? Well with that deadly duo nothing else but embarrassment. The only thing we can hope for is a healing between the players and administration and a recall of Wim or some other Dutch coach. Thjis maybe hard due to the reputation that Jack has foistered on us as a nation. All I know is that we aint going a place with the deadly duo.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 01:59:26 PM by sub1 »

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Homes games
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2008, 02:07:29 PM »
If yuh cyar win yuh home games in the next stages, yuh might as well not turn up. The teams that will qualify need to get maximum points from the home games as a minimum. So with all de bachannal about where we playin' de home games we already starting with a handicap.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Home games
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »
Should be 'home games'. My bad.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: So we are through to the next round
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
Jack stated with wim gone we were  lucky to get  Maturana  after the england game ... That  coach will stay Jack will want to prove a point..

we digg deep to beat bermuda .... with our overseas pros :applause:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:17:05 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 02:29:26 PM »
Jack stated with wim gone we were  lucky to get  Maturana  after the england game ... That  coach will stay Jack will want to prove a point..

we digg deep to beat bermuda .... with our overseas pros :applause:

I agree.....i ahve played and watched football for too long not to realise that Maturana is way past his sell date. Football of today has left him and poor Anton never even came close to catching up to it. Entonces, we are in deep mierda. No se porque ese hombre no nos deja y regressa a su pais. Lets hope that Anton and his family follows.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 03:21:24 PM »
agree with Sub that it seems that Pancho may be past his prime.
In the long run though, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it, just complain, and yuh know JW aint listening to no mass of people, he doing he own thing.
On the face of it, we struggling to get past bermuda says that we will flop big time in the next round against better opposition.
I have seen enough football to know that this is not always the case.
Sometimes conference teams in england knock out premiership teams that go on to win great things in the same season.
And in concacaf where all teams except the US are so unpredictable, anything can happen in the group stages.
Remeber when we play woefully vs jamaica in 2000 in pos and lost 2-4, then one week later beat canada 2-0 in  canada and went on to win that semi-final group with awesome football?
Point is lets not be too flustered about the past, thank God its behind us and we have an opportunity to move on.
I for one believe we can get one of the spots in our group even with our present coach, but we have to sort out the selection impasse. We all know whats going to happen - team breaks up today on return from bermuda and re-assembles 4 days before the cuba game. So how much work can we realistically do in 6 weeks? Men have pro league and pre season duties to fulfil now.
People like Kelvin Jack, Brent Sancho, Cyd Gray, Avery John, Colin Samuel, Chris Birchal and Cornel Glen have to be involved, not because of past glories, but they are players in positions that the current teams shows weakness or lack of depth in at the moment. Plus these guys are proven and battle hardened warriors.
We stuck with Pancho and Corneal, so we need to do the next best thing....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF Next Round (fixtures).
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »
Saw the game yesterday in barbados @ kensington oval. 2bgin, bados had a fairly decent game going, but their down fall was absolutly no midfield whatsoever, apart from that, their back line was solid, & the yanks catch hell to score after the first goal, and the bajans had a good goal disallowed, and i never saw such loyal fans as the bajans.

i got an oportunity to see freddy adu and the other young bucks comming up to hurt we heart in the future, but all in all , the yanks had a 80% rookie team, and so did the bajans from what i've been told.                                      positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

Imagine we in a must win and stern on the bench for a U17 man.....madness....maybe they was resting him for second half but that is real madness.

U17 man? That is Jerrol Forbes.  He scored at the U17 world cup in Trinidad against Brazil in 2001.  He and Kenwyne is the same age.

But you are right, i cannot understand that in a critical game like that u have stern on de bench......

My pardner on work tell me dat the coach do that to build up some hunger in Stern John to make him player better.......lol

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »

U17 man? That is Jerrol Forbes.  He scored at the U17 world cup in Trinidad against Brazil in 2001.  He and Kenwyne is the same age.

But you are right, i cannot understand that in a critical game like that u have stern on de bench......

My pardner on work tell me dat the coach do that to build up some hunger in Stern John to make him player better.......lol

ah love it!!

Notice how stern does come out on fire when he get bench. Dahs how yuh get the best outta him...light fire under he ass.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Haiti & Panama
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2008, 11:59:56 PM »
We won't have to hear from dat bamsee Sting Pana for a long time.   :rotfl:

Haiti had a rough time.  Ah own goal send dem through.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Haiti & Panama
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2008, 04:37:58 AM »
Might me sooner than you think IF the July 27 friendly comes off.

here is the pana himself
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:02:57 AM by E-man »

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »

Dont worry bout stink pana.. Panamanian is we people doh,  I does support dem to de fullest....
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2008, 08:02:07 AM »

Dont worry bout stink pana.. Panamanian is we people doh,  I does support dem to de fullest....
War

vote mccain. :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
Saw the game yesterday in barbados @ kensington oval. 2bgin, bados had a fairly decent game going, but their down fall was absolutly no midfield whatsoever, apart from that, their back line was solid, & the yanks catch hell to score after the first goal, and the bajans had a good goal disallowed, and i never saw such loyal fans as the bajans.

i got an oportunity to see freddy adu and the other young bucks comming up to hurt we heart in the future, but all in all , the yanks had a 80% rookie team, and so did the bajans from what i've been told.                                      positive.

Replays show the player offside ... albeit marginally.  A foul on the keep also featured in that play ... and I think that's what disqualified the goal.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2008, 01:03:58 PM »
I find we have it hard.

We are a side that need momentum and games to warm up.

That first away game to Cuba...where they have all there players and fresh...then to play Guatemala at home. That ent easy.

But it have no if or buts.........we need the full 6 points from them two games.

I look at our fixtures as 6 points from Cuba, 4 from Guatemala...one home win and a draw...and 2 cutarse from the USA.

I ent fooling mehself

That is what we could do and that is how it have to happen to move fwd.

Is USA and TT moving forward...the deciding factor is how much goal the USA rest on everybody else.

The other Groups is Mexico and Honduras...Jamaica ent have a chance...the teams and schedule are unkind to them. First game away in Canada, 2nd game at home vs Mexico is best a draw, away games to Honduras and Mexico is zero points after that....4 games in and looking at 2 points max. Dais it

Costa Rica and El Salvador coming tru easy.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
Win at home, draw on the road. That has to be our philosophy. Don't give an inch at home.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
I find we have it hard.

We are a side that need momentum and games to warm up.

That first away game to Cuba...where they have all there players and fresh...then to play Guatemala at home. That ent easy.

But it have no if or buts.........we need the full 6 points from them two games.

I look at our fixtures as 6 points from Cuba, 4 from Guatemala...one home win and a draw...and 2 cutarse from the USA.

I ent fooling mehself

That is what we could do and that is how it have to happen to move fwd.

Is USA and TT moving forward...the deciding factor is how much goal the USA rest on everybody else.

The other Groups is Mexico and Honduras...Jamaica ent have a chance...the teams and schedule are unkind to them. First game away in Canada, 2nd game at home vs Mexico is best a draw, away games to Honduras and Mexico is zero points after that....4 games in and looking at 2 points max. Dais it

Costa Rica and El Salvador coming tru easy.

I agree with your analysis.  Guatemala must be thinking the same thing...they need 6 pts. against Cuba and at least a draw in T&T to see them through.  We can't afford to be the only team in the group to drop points against Cuba so the first match is a must-win on the road...pressha.  Then we MUST beat Guatemala at home cause probably the best we can do away to them is a draw (we get nuff licks the last few times we play in Guatemala City).  Don't forget last WCQ we needed some serious late heroics to pull off that win at home and that was with a full squad, no blacklist, Latas, Yorke et al.  So it ent go be easy.
We also at a disadvantage cause USA more likely to drop points on the road in Guatemala than against us...but we have to hope they don't.  The only saving grace for us is that USA may have already qualified by the time they play in T&T in October, similar to the situation we had against Mexico 3 yrs ago when we pulled it orf.  Then the last game on Nov 19 will be a must win.... :nailbiting:

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »
ah know it said b4 eh but geez jamaica allyuh in ah tough group. i  can see somedays where RF et al will be AWOL

Jamaica in a tough group, yes...but look at this way...if your ultimate goal is to make the world cuup finals, you will eventually have to deal with the stronger teams when you get to the Hex. All the teams in our group we have beaten in the past, and will do again.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »
ah know it said b4 eh but geez jamaica allyuh in ah tough group. i  can see somedays where RF et al will be AWOL

Jamaica in a tough group, yes...but look at this way...if your ultimate goal is to make the world cuup finals, you will eventually have to deal with the stronger teams when you get to the Hex. All the teams in our group we have beaten in the past, and will do again.

this is present
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago and USA square off in World Cup Qualifying Group A.[/size]

In the first of three profiles, CONCACAF.com examines the three groups and twelve teams left in the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying campaign.

Group A Overview:

Group A, which is comprised of Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago and the USA may lack some of the on-paper glamour of Group B, but there is no doubt that when the teams take to the pitch, the passion and quality of play will be of CONCACAF’s highest order. The USA will be the odds-on favorite, but they will face three formidable rivals in a group devoid of any surefire also-rans.

Cuba: “Everything’s realistic in football. Qualifying will be tough but achievable.” It has been an oft-repeated quote from Cuban Coach Reinhold Fanz, perhaps this is because with so few words he’s been able to encapsulate one of football’s central emotions, namely, hope. Still, it takes more than ambition to reach the FIFA World Cup™ finals. For this reason, Coach Fanz has instilled a European training methodology and has begun to build the foundations of Cuban success for the future, "What I want to achieve in Cuba is to help the players develop technically, tactically and physically. They have huge potential, and there's quality here too" Coach Fanz recently stated. Among Cuba’s quality players is Roberto Linares, scorer of four goals in their Stage 2 series against Antigua and Barbuda and the likely hero if the Leones del Caribe are to make their first FIFA World Cup™ appearance since the 1938 tournament in France. Cuban soccer has developed steadily over the recent years and Coach Fanz’s aim is to see this trend continue, "I want Cuba to realize a dream by appearing at the World Cup," he’s said, but given their Stage 3 opposition this will be a tall task for the Leones del Caribe in 2010.

Guatemala: Guatemala, currently ranked #89 in the FIFA world rankings, will enter Group A with their sights set firmly upon a repeat of their semi-final performance from 4 years ago. Guatemala has positioned themselves as a team to be feared in the group, and there is reason to believe a return trip to the CONCACAF finals is well within the Chapines’ grasp. They not only return lethal striker Carlos “El Pescadito” Ruiz from the squad that came so close to tasting World Cup inclusion in 2006, but also Head Coach Ramon Maradiaga. There is no doubt that Maradiaga’s men are chock-full of motivation having never qualified for the FIFA World Cup™. But motivation aside, the Chapines boss is also quite confident in the teams quality, “I’m convinced we can [reach South Africa 2010]. All the necessary elements are in place and, above all, we have the ability,” Maradiaga has said. One thing is certain, under the guidance of this tactical wizard, the Chapines will be a tough team to beat, particularly when playing in the Estadio Mateo Flores in Guatemala City. Regardless of locale, it will be wise of their opponents to keep a close watch on the attacking trio of Carlos Ruiz, Gonzalo Romero and Abner Trigueros, who combined for eight goals in their Stage 2 match-up with St. Lucia

Trinidad & Tobago: When Paul Caligiuri fired home that fateful goal in 1989, it delayed by 16-years Trinidad & Tobago’s arrival on soccer’s grandest stage. However, when the Soca Warriors finally reached the FIFA World Cup™ in 2006 they did not waste the opportunity; performing valiantly and putting the island nation on the world soccer map. Now considered one of the regions tier-one teams, the Soca Warriors will look to a new generation of foreign-based professionals to take their place in a second consecutive World Cup. “We’ve had a lot of veteran players retire recently, like Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and Shaka Hislop, so there are a lot of fresh faces in the squad,” said Kenwyne Jones of Sunderland FC, “We’re going to give it our best shot, and I think we have the talent to return to the World Cup,” he continued. It promises to be a trial by fire for these new faces, as the group not only features the USA, but a Guatemalan team who will be eager for redemption after the Soca Warriors so cruelly dispatched them in CONCACAF’s final qualification round four years ago. If the Trinidadian team is to improve upon their lackluster Stage 2 aggregate victory over Bermuda, the responsibility will largely rest on the shoulders of three European-based professionals in Kenwyne Jones, Stern John and Darryl Roberts.

USA: On 19 November 1989, 25-year-old Paul Caligiuri scored against Trinidad & Tobago with US soccer’s version of “The Shot Heard Around The World”, thus launching the USA into a modern soccer renaissance by securing their spot in the 1990 FIFA World Cup™; the nation’s first in 40-years. Nearly two decades later, the USA are expected to qualify for what would be their sixth consecutive World Cup tournament and the focus for the USA has now shifted from mere qualification to the more lofty ambition of World Cup contention. But if the Stars & Stripes are to best their 2002 World Cup Quarterfinal appearance, they will need the savvy to perform well away from home during qualification. Games on the road in CONCACAF can be a tough experience for the USA, and with the burden of being group favorites, the USA will depend on national team veterans like Landon Donovan, Damarcus Beasley, Carlos Bocanegra and goalkeeper Tim Howard to keep the ship steady in the often harsh conditions. After thrashing Barbados 9:0 on aggregate in Stage 2, the goal for the USA is to avoid making world headlines by coming up short in Group A.
Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, Canada bracing for start of “Group of Death”[/size]

The person that coined the phrase “group of death” must have been thinking of Group B of the semifinal round of CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™.

Group B, which features Mexico, Canada, Jamaica, Honduras and Mexico, will be required and intriguing viewing when the six-match semifinal round gets underway on 20 August. The group showcases three of the confederation’s top four nations, according to the FIFA World rankings, in Mexico (No. 1), Honduras (No. 3) and Canada (No. 4), along with a rejuvenated Jamaica. Each country is playing well, led by some of CONCACAF’s top players, with Honduras, in particular, on a 12-game unbeaten streak. The group is also home to some the confederation’s toughest venues in which to win in Mexico’s Estadio Azteca, the National Stadium (The Office) in Jamaica and the Estadio Olimpico in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

On top of these factors, a number of tantalizing storylines leap out and will be the focus of fans’ and media attention over the next four months. How will Mexico fare under new coach, former England boss, and Swedish native Sven-Goran Eriksson? Will Canada’s growing confidence and new attacking style of football produce the goals that have been so scarce in past World Cup qualifying matches? Can the return of Brazilian Rene Simoes bring back the magic that led Jamaica to a berth in the 1998 World Cup? Is Honduras capable of maintaining its unbeaten streak in games that really count? These questions and others will all be answered by the end of the semifinals on 19 November.

Canada: While Jamaica’s recent revival is noteworthy, the most interesting development might just be Canada’s new-look style of offensive soccer. Long-known as a defensive-oriented team that has had trouble scoring, Dale Mitchell’s side is playing an attractive style of soccer not seen from a Canadian team in many years. The style, which debuted at last year’s Gold Cup, takes advantage of the speed and higher skill level of the players, many of which have benefited from playing in Europe’s top leagues. The result? Goals – at least two in the last four matches, with some of the highest quality.

Deportivo La Coruna’s Julian de Guzman, MVP of last year’s Gold Cup, drives a creative and speedy midfield that includes Dwayne De Rosario of the Houston Dynamo and FC Copenhagen’s Atiba Hutchinson. They will look to set up striker Ali Gerba, who scored four goals in Canada’s defeat of St. Vincent and the Grenadines (7:1 aggregate) in its second-stage qualifier.“I'm very excited about qualifying and I'm anxious to start playing right away,” said DeRosario. “We've been in really good form and in order to be the best we have to be able to beat the best.” Following a recent 3:2 friendly loss to five-time FIFA World Cup Champions Brazil, Mitchell proclaimed his collection of players the best the country has ever had. Better talent combined with growing confidence and a refusal to be intimidated make Canada a legitimate threat to get one of the top two spots in the group.

Honduras: Honduras, one of the hottest teams (on current form) in the confederation, should be a favorite for one of the top two spots in Group B. The Central American nation’s 12-game unbeaten streak has helped it rise from 54th to No. 37 in the FIFA rankings. Under the leadership of coach and Colombian native Reinaldo Rueda, Honduras’ rise has been steady and impressive, highlighted by wins over CONMEBOL powers Paraguay and Colombia. The Catrachos advanced to the semifinals after beating Puerto Rico 6:2 on aggregate, led by three goals from David Suazo.The Inter Milan striker leads a confident and potent offence, which has not had much trouble scoring goals over its streak. Joining Suazo are Julio Cesar de Leon, Wilson Palacios and Toronto FC midfielder Amado Guevara. Guevara, the captain and most capped player in Honduran history, is the midfield engine that drives the Honduran offence and will be counted on to service Suazo and de Leon. “We have to prepare twice as well because the next stage is more difficult. We'll be facing teams that are stronger and with a wealth of experience, so we mustn't get carried away,” said Rueda.

Jamaica: A spot in the final round is also on the radar for Jamaica, written off just a few months ago as a footballing country on the wane. Buoyed by the return of coach Simoes, who led Jamaica to its only World Cup berth in 1998, the rejuvenated Reggae Boyz are back in form and eager to recapture their past glory. Since taking over from Bora Milutinovic late last year, the Brazilian has reinstalled confidence in a side that had fallen on hard times, punctuated by failures to qualify for last year’s CONCACAF Gold Cup and Digicel Caribbean Cup. That new-found confidence was on display in Jamaica’s 13:0 rout of Bahamas in its second-stage qualifier. Captain Ricardo Gardner, who had a goal in the two game series leads Jamaica’s attack, which also features Luton Shelton (four goals) and veteran striker Deon Burton (two goals).“We played well to get this far, but we'll have to do a lot better in the second round,” said Burton. “We're in a very difficult group, but we've got a lot of self-belief and I'm sure we will be able to pick up good results.”

Mexico It is not only the Hondurans that come into this stage with offensive firepower. Mexico also has a potent side with a mix of veterans and talented youngsters waiting in the wings for their chance on the big stage. Veteran striker Jared Borgetti, who had three goals against Belize, is back in the national team picture and will lead the offence with Carlos Vela (two goals) and Fernando Arce (two goals). The rise of Vela, along with skillful midfielders Giovanni Dos Santos and Cesar Villaluz has led many in the Mexican sports media to proclaim the present as the “Golden Age of Mexican football.”

With such a proclamation comes high expectations and it was their weight that led to the sacking of previous coach Hugo Sanchez. Sanchez was fired in late March as both the Olympic and national team coach after he failed to lead Mexico out of the group stage of the CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament in the USA. Jesus Ramirez took over in April on an interim basis and helped the Tricolores reach the semifinals after an easy win over Belize (9:0 on aggregate) in its second stage qualifier. The pressure will be on Eriksson to adjust to the CONCACAF style of football and find the right combination of veterans and youth that will take Mexico to the final round.

Teams in Groups A and C may like their chances of qualifying for South Africa once two of the Group B teams are eliminated. The same could be said for the two nations that get through the Group of Death. Whatever the case, no team will enjoy facing the survivors of this group.
Costa Rica, El Salvador, Haiti and Suriname compete in tricky Group C.[/size]

There are some who view Group C as a foregone conclusion, fancying Costa Rica to have little trouble with their group-mates and expecting Caribbean Cup champions Haiti to triumph over the surprise qualifiers, Suriname and El Salvador. However, with the group’s two top teams struggling with bouts of under-performance and the so-called minnows making yearly gains on their regional counterparts, Group C could be the setting for some big upsets and intriguing action.

Costa Rica: In years past, Costa Rica’s semifinal draw would have been deemed a gift. These days, the Central American power will need to bring an attitude of utmost focus to Group C if they are to advance unscathed. With a recent history of success in CONCACAF, and an ever-positive Head Coach, Hernan Medford, the Ticos will be a favored to run the table, but in order to do so they will have to improve on recent performances that even Medford has had to describe with phrases such as, “not a disaster.”

Unlike years past, Costa Rica lacks any true international star to call upon in trickier matches, so if Medford is to guide his team to their fourth FIFA World Cup™ in 2010 he will have to continue to build his men into a cohesive unit. And there have been positive signs for the Ticos of late; in their Stage 2 triumph over Grenada they showed grit in rescuing a 2:2 away draw in leg-one, before securing advancement by beating the island nation 3:0 at home. In so doing, the Ticos finally broke a mentally taxing 12-match winless streak and received goals from five different players. A relieved Medford will hope this is a sign of things to come.

El Salvador: “I am relaxed and satisfied since we still have another 90-minutes to play, and we are a very good team at home.” These were the words of Carlos De Los Cobos, the Head Coach of El Salvador after his team’s 1:0 defeat at the hands of Panama in the first-leg of Stage 2. Though peculiar words from a losing manager, they proved to be prophetic as the Cuscatlecos were able to turn the highly favored Canaleros over in the second-leg, thereby advancing to the semi-finals. After the nation’s poor performance in the run-up to Germany 2006, De Los Cobos was appointed to resurrect Salvadorian soccer and bring the nation back to World Cup caliber. Salvadorian soccer officials will be happy to see the early signs of success, as the Cuscatlecos have scored 19-goals during their current qualification campaign and boast recent defeats of European power Denmark and CONCACAF rival, Trinidad & Tobago. A return to the World Cup could still prove to be a dream for the future, but with a superb manager and the always-intimidating Cuscatlán Stadium working in their favor, the Salvadorians could surprise their Group 3 counterparts. In search of triumph, any Salvadorian success will likely be inspired by their three top marksmen in Rudis Corrales, Ronald Cerritos and Eliseo Quintanilla, who have combined for 13 of the team’s 19-goals in qualifying.

Haiti: It has been a tumultuous year for Haiti, crowned “Kings of the Caribbean” after a miraculous ascension from last-to-qualify to tournament champions in last year’s Digicel Caribbean Cup, Les Bicolores have fallen on hard times. After a string of loses in pre-qualifying friendlies and a 47-spot plummet in the FIFA world rankings to #113, the Francophone islanders must be left scratching their collective head,wondering where the results have gone. The qualification campaign hasn’t proven much easier for Wagneau Eloi’s men. Given a #9 seed and an improving, but still lowly Netherlands Antilles as their Stage 2 opponent, many expected Haiti to glide into the semi-finals. But even this was achieved by the narrowest of margins, as it took a 1st minute own-goal from Eugene Marta in the second-leg of their series to save Haiti from a possible early exit. Despite the recent run of poor form, the Haitians will still likely be considered the favorites to claim one of two finals tickets out of the group. Indeed, if Les Bicolores can manage to live up to their former selves, it would be an important step towards the nation’s second FIFA World Cup™ appearance and the resurgence of international football in the country.

Suriname: Suriname has the distinction of being the only South American-based team remaining in CONCACAF qualification. They, along with Guyana and French Guyana, are the three teams from South America who interestingly belong to the CONCACAF Confederation. In fact, Suriname was able to defeat their much-fancied continental neighbors, Guyana, one of CONCACAF’s 12-seeded teams in Stage 2, to take their place in the semifinals. A former Dutch colony and birth nation of Dutch superstars, Edgar Davids and newly appointed LA Galaxy Manager Ruud Gullit, the Surinamese will look to continue building on a platform of recent national soccer success begun by a respectable performance in qualification for Germany 2006 and a second phase debut in last year’s Digicel Caribbean Cup. Leading the charge for Suriname will be domestic star Clifton Sandvliet, scorer of two goals in their series with Guyana.

CONCACAF.COM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:45:45 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

TrinInfinite

Which Group of Teams Would you Love to See T&T Play in South Africa 2010
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:56 PM »
Some may say this is pre-meditated on my part but I know we are going to qualify for South Africa in 2010. I am just wondering what 3 teams would T&T fans like to see T&T play?

I for one am never a person who wants T&T to play the easiest teams, I want them to have the greatest challenge and play at the highest level because I believe our players can play with the best and beat the best with the right preperation and coaching.

The 3 teams I wish T&T get grouped with when we qualify is:

Brazil/Argentina - My preference would be Argentina but the 2 Carnival countries clashing is monumental
Ghana
Nederlands

I would also want to see us advance from a group like this, playing teams of this calibre will only make us a better team and will provide us with a challenge that if we advance from a group like this we can strive for football's highest prize, the World Cup, simply because I was never a man who believed T&T should make up the numbers in any major football tournament.

God is de BOSS....

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:09:45 PM by TI »

1]; } ?>