April 25, 2024, 11:23:42 AM

Author Topic: Southern Football League Golden Anniversary Souvenir  (Read 1198 times)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Southern Football League Golden Anniversary Souvenir
« on: September 02, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
Well Tallman have me digging thru and scanning pics from the gramps articles etc. So while i scan i cud type up a couple of the interesting things from this booklet. Maybe Tallman will post some pics after

The President's Address

Fifty years is a long time in the life of any organization, and as President of the Southern Football League, as well as President of the Trinidad Football Association, I will consider it a great privilege to send this message to members and supporters of the League on the occasion of its Golden Anniversary.
    The league was founded in 1922 as an off-shoot of the Southern Amateur Football Assoc. and had its headquarters at Usine. The late Mr Mark moody-Stuart was the first President, with Mr Percy Knox as Secretary. In those days, there were only three recognised bodies controlling football in Trinidad and Tobago (TAFA, SAFA and SAFL) whereas today, there are eleven affiliates and a large number of what we call Minor Leagues, all doing the important job of catering to the needs of footballers in the various areas.
    The SFL under the guidance of people such as Mark Moody-Stuart, Reg Adamson, George Nixon, 'Sonny' Vincent Brown, "Eddie Hart", Alfred Hodgeson, V.St.C. Berment, Eddie Furlonge, FAD Griffiths, Goorshaire Hassanali, Ahamad CHarles, Carlyle Andrews, Douglas Baurzey, Oscar Harvey, Ivan Carter, Cax Baptiste and others too numerous to mention, has contributed in no small measure to the progress of soccer football in the Country and I have no doubt will continue to do so in the years ahead.
   However, there is a trend in some quarters today towards liquidating the various Affiliates and placing the complete control of football in the hands of one central body. It is to my considered opinion that this is the wrong approach, as the strength of the TFA lies in its Affiliates and rather than weakening or liquidating them, we ought to be strengthening them as well as making it possible for the "Minors" to join the TFA as Associate Members. The SFL as always, stands firmly behind the TFA in its efforts to improve the football in Trinidad and Tobago, but will not subscribe to the demise of the Affiliated Leagues and Associations, least of all to its own demise.
     Our standard of football has improved tremendously, playing conditions are getting better each year, and Government is giving more support than ever before. It is therefore up to each and everyone of us to rededicate ourselves to the further development of football in the League, and in Trinidad and Tobago during the second half of our first century.

K. Galt
                                                                                      President,
                                                                                      SFL & TFA
Back in Trini...

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Football League Golden Anniversary Souvenir
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:52:33 PM »
SFL Who's Who

Archibald, Warren
             Another product of St Benedicts College wonder team of the 1960's. Has played at left wing and center forward for Point Fortin Civic Centre and Caroni. Noted for speed, and swerve, this clever diminutive player gave every defence a lot of worry. Was a regular on Trinidad representative team. Has been playing professional football in the US.

Biard, William
           Versatile forward, whose best position was inner-right. Noted for clever dribbling. A terror to opposing defence men with "Watty" Douglas/ Spitfire FC, SFL, and SOuth. Played for Trinidad in the 1940's and 1950s

Baptiste, Rawlins "Cax"
           A goalkeeper with a safe pair of hands, a good temperament. For many years the understudy to Pat Gomez on Trinidad team at home, in the Caribbean and England. He has enjoyed great success with UBOT FC during the 1950s. A motor accident curtailed  his career.

Barzey, Douglas
           One of the many stalwart administrators of the SFL. More than twenty service has seen him move from club representative to second Vice President. Clubs always rely on Douglas for sound judgement and good counsel.

more to come later
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>