April 20, 2024, 06:42:55 AM

Author Topic: Havelange & Brazil Youth Team Are Here  (Read 854 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Havelange & Brazil Youth Team Are Here
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:34 AM »
Havelange & Brazil Youth Team Are Here
TTFF Media

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner was in high spirits as he walked through the arrival lounge of the Piarco International Airport on Wednesday afternoon flanked by former FIFA President Dr Joao Havelange and members of the Joe Public Football team victorious in the Concacaf Champions League encounter over New England Revolution on Tuesday night. The Brazilian National Under 16 team also came in on the same flight from Miami for two matches here, first one being against the T&T National U-17 team on Thursday at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

Havelange, the 92-year-old who served as FIFA President from 1974-1998, is here to be part of the T&T Football Federation's Centennial Celebrations Gala Dinner on Friday night and though weary from his journey over, he too appeared excited over his visit.

“I am very pleased to be in Trinidad and Tobago to be part of their centennial celebrations. Jack Warner has been a longtime friend and colleague of mine and I would never have given up the opportunity to return to Trinidad. Also here is the Brazil National Under 16 team for two matches which we expect will be exciting. The football in this part of the world continues to develop at a good rate and I am looking forward very much to my stay here over the next few days,” Havelange told TTFF Media via an interpreter.

Havelange even competed as a swimmer in 1936 in the Olympic Games of Berlin. He also competed in the Brazilian water polo team in the Olympic Games of 1952 in Helsinki.

Warner meantime reminded the media that this would be a “big” week for local football with the influx of foreign dignitaries and the staging of several matches headed by Saturday’s 2010 World Cup qualifier between T&T and Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

“This is the beginning of what promises to be a most memorable week for Trinidad and Tobago through football. And we couldn’t have had a better start than Joe Public’s 4-0 victory in Boston last night. It was a remarkable night for Joe Public and a historic result for our club football in Trinidad and Tobago and the Caribbean. I mean to go to the home stadium and beat the top ranked American club team must be a feat that cannot go unnoticed. I am extremely proud of the entire team, “ Warner said.

“Now we have Dr Havelange here with us, the Brazilian National Youth team, the Guatemalans come in tomorrow, several other top dignitaries including the FIFA President Sepp Blatter among others. Then of course you have a National Senior Team with our own top players preparing for a World Cup qualifier  as well as our National Under 17s and Under 20s. What more can you ask for? But this does not happen by the snap of fingers. It has come about by the extended efforts of the football fraternity and can only continue through the collective effort of all,” Warner added.

Joe Public head coach Keith Griffith added: “I think it is a great night for us but already we have to look ahead to the next stage of the tournament. We want to continue this run but for all of us this second consecutive win was well deserved and came after long hard run of preparations. Everyone involves deserves to savor the win.”

Joe Public now moves on to Group C in the Champions League alongside Mexico’s Atlante FC, CD Olimpia of Honduras and Canada’s Impact de Montreal. Joe Public's next outing is away to Impact on September 17.

Warner and Havelange walk through arrivals at Piarco on Wednesday.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Havelange & Brazil Youth Team Are Here
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:54:28 PM »
Dem Brazillian boys look big for 16.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »
While d chinese gynmanist look small 4 16
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
Jack iz ah boss yes...d man get ah 92 year old to fly from brazil via miami to trinidad....

d man get mandela to fly all d way from south africa...

platini coming...

God iz ah trini yes...

D man really respected outside TNT
Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>