April 19, 2024, 11:48:47 AM

Author Topic: Jackie Chan  (Read 14216 times)

Offline Guyanese-Baller

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Jackie Chan
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »

Respect to all members of the Soca Warriors Forum.

Special respect to all members who support Guyanese in the Pro League.

Special congrats to Gregory 'Jackie Chan' Richardson for representing us all and Joe Public for representing the Pro League big time! Nobody at home calls Jackie Chan by his real name. He got the name 'Jackie Chan' as a child from the triple backflips and fancy forward sommersaults he would do after scoring while playing for his club 'Pele FC' back at home. He did the same playing in Barbados. He is a very good player, an extremely good dribbler who can also hold a ball well, in some ways is almost a complete attacking player but is so versatile that many coaches don't know exactly how to play him or or coach their team to play against him like NE ERvolution found out and other teams will find out.

If you enjoyed the thrashing Joe Public laid on NE Revolution you can easily understand why it was also a special thing for all Guyanese at home and in the US to witness this. We can only imagine what it was like for you Trinis watching Yorke score for Man United in Champions League. We have a long way to go to find stars that good but nice to see that we have a little start and are on our way with players like Jackie Chan and the others around. Even if Joe Public does not win the tournament no one will forget these last two games.

The Guyanese connection with the Pro League is good and I hope it continues because there is so much we can gain and learn from playing in the Pro League and I'm glad to see that we can give back with quality play. Someday hopefully we get to be like Trinidad and Tobago and have players in leagues all over the world representing Trinidad and Tobago but that is a long way off. Thanks to Trinidad for helping us out now. I did some research and found that there are many Guyanese players (Richardson, Codrington, Pollard, Boyd etc) in the Pro League, a Guyanese coach at North East Stars and a Guyanese director at Jabloteh. In addition our national coach Mr. Shabazz is a Pro League club coach thats great, he is an excellent coach.

Well done Jackie Chan.

Respect to all!

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jackie Chan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
Yow Respect !! Yeah he is a good baller. I saw the 1st game and was impressed with his play got good touches nice control and is fast no ass !!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
Just out of curiousity, how old is he?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »
Welcome GB!! I saw the first game as well; he does look like a good player.  :beermug: :beermug:
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I think Richardson is 25 or 26.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »
Just out of curiousity, how old is he?

The commentators said he was 26.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:57:24 AM »
Welcome GB.

Guyana has a very talented forward in Richardson. Pace, touch, and very poised in front of goal, a very clinical finisher. I wouldn't be surpised to see him get some offers from teams in the MLS or Europe very soon
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
guyanese the best player we have from guyana is a striker for tobago united

welcome to the site and support cali aia aka guyanese utd
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:28:12 AM »
Welcome... :beermug:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
That Guyanese nickname is second only to Nigel "Powers" Codrington   :)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »

If you enjoyed the thrashing Joe Public laid on NE Revolution you can easily understand why it was also a special thing for all Guyanese at home and in the US to witness this. We can only imagine what it was like for you Trinis watching Yorke score for Man United in Champions League. We have a long way to go to find stars that good but nice to see that we have a little start and are on our way with players like Jackie Chan and the others around. Even if Joe Public does not win the tournament no one will forget these last two games.

Welcome Guyanese-Baller... thanks in particular for sharing with us how much Richardson's performance meant to Guyana, lost in all the hoopla on this site was what his performance might mean for his countrymen.  Most poignant were the references to Yorke... while it underscores how far Guyana has yet to go, it also made me realize just how blessed we Trinis are in this arena... even if we don't always take note of it.  It also reminds me of just how big a role sports can play in boosting a people's morale.  I hope Richardson will be playing in Europe before long and by-pass MLS altogether... he's reached his playing prime and now would be the time to maximize his opportunities.   If MLS is his true level then I'm sure he'll be fine there as well. 

Bless up to Guyana and welcome tuh de forum again banna  :beermug:

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:52 AM »
Welcome GB...watching the first leg of the game, I realized that this man could go places... I went to the 2nd game in Foxboro, and there are many aspects to his game, that you don't neccessarily see on tv.  All I can say is he is a boss...

Offline Guyanese-Baller

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:25 AM »
Jackie Chan was born around June 16, 1982 so 26 would be right. His national and Pele club striking partner Nigel "Power" Codrington was born around the same time couple of years earlier and they both tend to play a similar game and keep level heads on and off the field. The striker from Tobago United you speak of must be Collie 'Hitman' Hercules, very good talent, skillful too but lets just say he is a bit older than those two guys and never was as quick. There is another good quick striker too named Anthony 'Awo' Abrams and couple of younger strikers who are good and will hopefully play in Trinidad and get a chance to show their stuff.

I don't think you have seen the best of Jackie Chan as yet he can score many goals and still be hungry for more. Those four goals will not satisfy him. I heard that after winning the FA Cup MVP last year he was laid off injured even prior to the NEngland match so that makes it even more special. He and Power Codrington both played with Camptown, and Pele in Guyana then played semi-pro in Barbados prior playing in Trinidad. They used to trade the title for most goals in the gymnasium playing indoor futsal competition where he  was a ruthless goalscorer, one time he scored 9 of his team's 14 goals in a match but I think that record was broken by Codrington.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
So is everybody in Guyana have a nickname or is just the strikers?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »
Welcome GB.

Your homeboy is truely nice. He won't stay in the PFL for too much longer, I'm sure scouts are already making enquiries about him. I wish him well in footballing future. Hopefully we'll see him in Europe bigging up Guyana.

P.S

My grandmother is Guyanese ;D :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »
Welcome GB,
                     I saw both games on the internet. One of the most composed players I have seen in a long time. I hope he gets a contract overseas. I know everybody wants him to go England. But he should try Holland on France. Or do like D. Roberts and look for a contract in Turkey or even Greece. Big uo BG!!! Ooooopps!!! Guyana.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
So is everybody in Guyana have a nickname or is just the strikers?

I was wondering de same!  ;D

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 04:45:13 PM »
I think it is everyone, just like Antigua (Gayson "Bubbler" Gregory, George "Sowa" Dublin, Peter "Big Pete" Byers, Desmond "Zico" Bleau, Ranjae "Carpy" Christian, etc.).  The best Antigua one might be Jamie "Taliban" Thomas though  :D

If you read Kaieteur News, Stabroek News, or Guyana Chronicle (or Antigua Sun) they have the nicknames, some good ones there  :D

I also remember Anthony "Awo" Abrams and the now (internationally) retired Collie "Hit Man" Hercules
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:50:23 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline Guyanese-Baller

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »
Its very common to have nicknames that stick from a very young age so I would probably have to agree and say that it applies to everyone unless you already have a first name or surname that is already unusual and/or funny.

Our strikers though tend to get their nicknames from their style of play or something related they do on the field as in Jackie Chan's case, from his goal celebration and acrobatics. Some of the more popular ones are mentioned already like 'Jackie Chan', Nigel 'Power' Codrington for the low but very hard shots he took on penalties and free kicks, always trying to rip the net, (taps-ins were not his thing and he was the last Digicel Cup overall leading goalscorer), Collie 'Hitman' Hercules because he was a good goal scorer and all-round poacher, Matthew 'Assassin' Pollard who really assassinated defences with a knack for deadly late goals, Dexter 'Dribbler' Bentick who was kinda chubby but had crazy dribbling ability and then his striking partner Anthony 'Awo' Abrams who was quick and flashy running to goal and so the list goes on and on. Not to forget Randolph 'Blackhead' Jerome who is already well known in the Pro League and has a very funny nickname.

Respect.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:18:57 AM by Guyanese-Baller »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
I thought Codrington's name came from Austin Powers' dad, Nigel  ???

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 09:05:25 PM »
welcome GB

jackie chan have a rel bright futue ahead and if he keep his form he will get most gaol in cocacaf championship
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline Guyanese-Baller

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
After returning from injury, doing what he did in the Champions Cup and now with four goals in the last two games (including another hat-trick), it appears that he has carried this form back into the Pro League as well. He will stay hungry for goals so thats good for everyone, country, club, and certainly very good for his career prospects.

Respect.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »
richardson wicked. i think columbus crew want him.

big week for guyanese sport. i doh follow cricket but i see on sky sports that a cricketer name chanpaul get some big award akin to world footballer of the yr but for cricket.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
richardson wicked. i think columbus crew want him.
big week for guyanese sport. i doh follow cricket but i see on sky sports that a cricketer name chanpaul get some big award akin to world footballer of the yr but for cricket.
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=38751.msg473872#msg473872
 :D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:10:02 AM »
why the big smile WC? u guyanese and proud?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »
why the big smile WC? u guyanese and proud?
only from the point of view as a fellow West Indian...I am giving de man props
an ya sounded vague as to who he was
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:33:18 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:45 AM »
‘Jackie Chan’ on brink of landing MLS contract with Toronto FC.
By Rawle Toney  (Stabroek News)

National Guyanese and Joe Public FC striker Gregory ‘Jackie Chan’ Richardson is set to become the first Guyanese to play in the US Major League Soccer (MLS) as he wrapped up his one week training session with the team in Miami, Florida.

Speaking to Stabroek Sport from New York where he was meeting former Guyanese broadcaster and journalist Gary Tim, along with Garth Nelson who was instrumental in his overseas accomplishments, Richardson said, “Soon I will make my country proud.” He said it’s just a matter of time before he is signed to Toronto FC and after one week training with the team in Florida he is looking forward to returning with them next week.

“Playing here is great so far. I’m a football player so I know how to adjust and what I have to do when so ever I go out on the field. I was asked to stay one more week, but things will be made legit in a few weeks, so I will be making my people proud soon,” the striker said. “First I had a slight problem adjusting to the different climate but then it was good for me, but words can’t really express how I feel and I will continue to work hard to make my dream a reality,” Richardson said.

Richardson and an African player were asked to stay on for another week. The team returned to Canada but Richardson remained in Miami since he does not hold a Canadian visa. However, he is expected to rejoin the club when they return to Miami for their pre-season training.

Meanwhile, Nelson said Richardson’s tenure with the club is practically a done deal. He said they asked him to stay on after sending home players who had played at some of the highest levels in world football. “They know what Gregory has to offer and according to the coach he has blend in really well with the system they have at the club. So I see him being signed in a matter of two weeks or so and I know how much it will mean for him knowing how much he has given to football,” he said. Further, Nelson said senior players on the team have also been advocating for Richardson as they enjoy playing with him. Among those is Canadian international player Dwayne De Rosario who is of Guyanese parentage.

Richardson said that De Rosario who is a popular figure in Canadian football, had been very supportive during his stint. “I know I will make it so right now I’m happy to be here and even happier to stay,” Richardson said. He has been featured in all the club’s four games played during the one week camp but did not score although he had had several opportunities to do so.

Twenty-six-year-old Richardson came to prominence last year during the CONCACAF club Champ-ionship with his Trinidad and Tobago Pro-League club Joe Public when he devastated MLS top club New England Revolution scoring four goals in his club win. He also single-handedly ripped apart several other top clubs in the tournament. Several international news agencies linked the striker with moves to New England Revolution and other top MLS clubs including Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquake.

A buoyant Richardson had also told reporters after he had just helped Pele win the million-dollar first prize in the Kashif and Shanghai Tournament, that he had nothing more to accomplish on the local scene. He had said too he planned to move further afield.

Toronto FC will open their 2009 MLS season on March 21 against the Kansas City Wizards. Richardson hopes to don the club’s colours on that day.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:15 AM »
Richardson should be the catalyst for other budding footballers in Guyana and as long as they play in the pro-league and are good enough contracts would come their way to the MLS and Europe hopefully.Guyana's football would equal the rest of the Caribbean in a few years time,they are presently better than many. 

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
Gr8 news
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
anxious to see how dat Guya connxion work out...Hope everything fall in place...stay ah extra week doh necessarily mean on the roster, yet better news than ah 'send home'. Hope To FC come true and thru.

1]; } ?>