May 23, 2024, 03:28:17 AM

Author Topic: USA beats Cuba in Havana  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USA beats Cuba in Havana
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »
U.S. beats Cuba in first trip to Havana since 1947

With few fans in the stands and little light on the field, the United States hung on to win its first soccer game in Cuba since 1947, beating the hosts 1-0 in a sloppy, sleepy World Cup qualifier Saturday night.

Clint Dempsey scored late in the second half and Tim Howard made two key saves to give the United States its third straight road win in qualifying from the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA beats Cuba in Havana
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25:49 AM »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:28:33 AM »
So bright and early?

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
 just imagine we beat this same cuba team 3-1, but we draw with guatemala, what a shame. i wish we had our best team right now, it would make it so much easier.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:32:02 AM »
Where the thread for the TnT v USA game?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:47 AM »
Anybody watch this game? You eh see how poorly lit that stadium was? You could have barely see the corner flags. The lights were over the stands which were on the side lines, it look real poor dread. They coulda play d game at 4 pm before it get dark. Shame on you Raul!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »
Tha's part of the home field advantage, Papa. It nearly work too...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline 7 blessings

• Lion II Zion
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »
USA look real beatable in that game...scored from a defensive blunder of of ah clearance from the US keeper..we could more dan beat dis team Wed if we doh come out and play like we fraid dem..we not suppose to come out ah that game without points.
Jesus Christ died for us....now it's time for us to Live for Him

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
anyone saw de Cuba # 10 .. de yute badd for days!!!!!!!!!!
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »
"USA look real beatable in that game...scored from a defensive blunder of of ah clearance from the US keeper..we could more dan beat dis team Wed if we doh come out and play like we fraid dem..we not suppose to come out ah that game without points."

No Yorkie, No Hyland, No Whitley.  Easier said than done.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
USA look real beatable in that game...scored from a defensive blunder of of ah clearance from the US keeper..we could more dan beat dis team Wed if we doh come out and play like we fraid dem..we not suppose to come out ah that game without points.

Agree. De key is to attack them. They looked vulnerable when Cuba attacked. If we play that knock around in the back BS, is all over. We have to run at them, but stay diciplined in the back. Cuba didn't give them any space and that held them in check for most of the game.
Toujour Pret!

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
Yeah number ten was real running at the defense and almost get thru too! I surprised the US eh really dominate.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »
We have to raid the US left side.  Beasley had an awful game and Heath Pierce is a goal.  Carlos Edwards MUST come up big in this game.  Keon Daniel have to rest some serious beat on either Steve Cherundolo or wildman Frankie Heyduk...Onyewu weh too strong in the air.

I have meh ticket in hand and hoping that we could produce a good showing...  
Arimian to meh heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
We all Arima hope dat Carlos and co turn up big time
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
i was real impressed with cuba in this game, them fellahs play their heart out...

had a baldhead in de centre of the park who was running things, (i eh know if is de same #10) and another youthman who was doing it on de wing.. A fatman in de centre was holding he own too, and tim howard had to sprawl a good few times..

they could have won this game...

doh mind the field was some high grass looking like qp savannah..

big up cuba.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
i was real impressed with cuba in this game, them fellahs play their heart out...

had a baldhead in de centre of the park who was running things, (i eh know if is de same #10) and another youthman who was doing it on de wing.. A fatman in de centre was holding he own too, and tim howard had to sprawl a good few times..

big up cuba.
after watching this game
how de hell we beat Cuba if we team supposedly playing shit?
did we score 3 lucky goals?

the thing i notice was that the Cubans weren't afriad to attack and run at the US
i just don't see us doing that in Chicago
right now i think we need to see a draw between Cuba and Guatemal in order to get some breathing room.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:00:11 PM »

big up cuba.
Sounds like Cervantes

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
U.S. beats Cuba in first trip to Havana since 1947

With few fans in the stands and little light on the field, the United States hung on to win its first soccer game in Cuba since 1947, beating the hosts 1-0 in a sloppy, sleepy World Cup qualifier Saturday night.

Clint Dempsey scored late in the second half and Tim Howard made two key saves to give the United States its third straight road win in qualifying from the North and Central American and Caribbean region.

(continue)

The US had 3 away games already? I guess the write is including games prior to the semis?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:27:24 PM by assrancid »

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »
The US had 3 away games already? I guess the write is including games prior to the semis?

Correct.

It goes back to the Barbados game.
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »
It would be too easy to laugh at the facilities... stadium had galvanized roof... lights blinking like Christmas come early... field looking like they cut it with a herd of cows..

but the thing was built in 1937 from what the two nobody American announcers said... so I have to give them a bligh on that.  Only affirms why I love the Cuban people, who persevere in spite of the bs that the Castro regime/s has put them through.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
Considering that Cuba has lost players through defections, ah really have to tip my hat to them.  It was a game in which you could see de coach's imprint. Buh I have to say as much as Cuba stayed in the game, yuh still had a sense that the US was the more threatening team. I had one eye on the clock right thru b/c ah dat.

The US movement of the ball seemed more decisive. With the Cubans there was a will to attack but there was still a missing ingredient in the combination play among the 2 or 3 Cuban players left with making the final decision 18-30 yards out from Tim Howard.

Buh I'm fully aboard with all the positive comments regarding their effort. As far as our game versus the US, if we show even ah lil bit ah dat commitment to go forward we ought to be able to stay in it deep into the match.

1]; } ?>