April 25, 2024, 01:03:12 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland pull T&T captain from USA match.  (Read 13047 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland pull T&T captain from USA match.
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
Sunderland pull T&T captain from USA match.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

YORKE RECALLED

The Trinidad and Tobago national football team's preparations for Wednesday's 2010 World Cup qualifier away to the United States were thrown into disarray yesterday when coach Francisco Maturana was denied the use of newly installed team captain Dwight Yorke as well as left back Avery John and promising teenaged midfielder Khaleem Hyland.

John, a 2006 World Cup player, is suspended for collecting yellow cards in successive matches while Hyland's automatic one match suspension for violent conduct against Cuba was extended to two games. But Maturana might be particularly aggrieved by the departure of Yorke, just days after adding him to the team's South Africa campaign.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) claimed that the combination of a thigh and ankle injury ruled Yorke out of their September 10 engagement against the group leaders. However, Yorke admitted to the Express on Saturday night, that Sunderland ordered his return to England.

Sunderland manager Roy Keane, who played alongside Yorke at Manchester United, warned the Tobagonian in July that his international aspirations could jeopardize his future with the club. However, the pair decided that Yorke may be allowed to join the "Soca Warriors" if he did not figure in Sunderland's first team plans.

Yorke, who was unavailable for the start of the season through injury, is yet to wear Sunderland colours this term while Keane-whose 30-member squad is the most populous in the Premiership-has used four different players in the two central midfield roles that the 36-year-old Warrior could fill.

But, even before Yorke wore the armband on Saturday, Keane is believed to have phoned and said that he was in the frame to play against Wigan on September 13. The Irish coach does not feel the veteran can be at his best with three matches in eight days and issued an ultimatum.

Yorke insisted, on Saturday, that he wants to represent his country but was unwilling to fight with Sunderland on the matter. Although FIFA law insists that Sunderland make their players available for World Cup duty, Keane made it clear that he wanted Yorke to stick to his international retirement when he gave him a one-year deal in the summer. Sunderland also offered to look after Yorke's future by promising him a coaching job at the end of his playing career.

"I am feeling caught between a rock and a hard place with my club and my country," Yorke said on Saturday. "I want to play against the US but I don't know if I will be allowed to."

Yorke, who teed up Keon Daniel for Trinidad and Tobago's lone goal against Guatemala, said he felt physically capable of playing on Wednesday.

"I was 90 per cent fit (against Guatemala)," he said. "I have been dealing with a thigh strain but I am still fit enough to play for my country. I feel fine."

It is unlikely that FIFA vice-president and T&TFF special advisor Jack Warner will take action against Sunderland considering the possible ramifications to the country's most celebrated player. It is not immediately clear whether Yorke would be allowed to represent his country again in the World Cup campaign and if all future appearances depend on Keane's say-so.

Yorke's place in the squad goes to Economy North East Stars midfielder Akeil Guevara, while Defence Force wing back Aklie Edwards and Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA right back Gyasi Joyce replace John and Hyland respectively. The three replacements have 11 international starts between them. United Petrotrin defender Makan Hislop also returns to the squad after suspension.

Maturana is already without the services of injured W. Connection midfield star Aurtis Whitley, while he opted not to summon record scorer Stern John, combative midfielder Chris Birchall-both 2006 World Cup players-and Turkey-based striker Darryl Roberts who all played in earlier qualifiers.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:36:01 AM by Flex »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: YORKE RECALLED (by Sunderland)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
Didn't realise Whitley's injury was that serious, how long is he projected to be out?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
The sad thing is that Keane going to bench Yorke this weekend after all the grandstanding...

...and if he start, is only cause Keane probably watch the game and realise how effective he still is and that he could start still and not play just a bit part role.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I doh understand how Yorke can treat our team and country like this...EPL season now start and Sunderland ent going nowhere this year, they not competing for nothing, and Yorke not even sure to get a sweat from Keane...we trying to get to the friggin World Cup here man!!  1 match and he gone??
I understand the club paying the wages but Dwight done make plenty money already and plenty more to come in the future.  Only 4 matches left in this semi-final round man...the Fifa rules are there for a reason to protect the players desire to play for country.   
I guess after seeing it first hand Yorke must be figure we ent going nowhere with Pacho and this current team  :'(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:02:01 AM by arrow »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »
I couldn't believe mih eyes when ah read dat online dis morning....so first it had no forum, den no Yorke, den Avery cyar play Wednesday (oh lord Blade yuh need to stop chopping down men), den Hyland band extended, den Whitley STILL cyar play (what de hell really happen to Whitley....nobody on here have ah direct line to him??).....let's just say Monday morning start bad....*sigh*....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
Ah hope Maturana realize now how foolish it was to leave out players like Birchall, John an Roberts now.  Even if he didn't play them on Saturday they would have been available for the USA game.  Now we chances of picking up even 1 point on Wednesday gone from slim to none. Good job Maturana.

Ah have ah bad feeling that the 2 points we drop on Saturday will keep us out of de hex.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
Just another manic monday. As 4 FIFA rules remember when Sancho game Bahrain against d coach wishes and he suck salt 4 mths. Dis is d same FIFA dat know that JW tief d players and dey eh get dey money yet
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
Ah have ah bad feeling that the 2 points we drop on Saturday will keep us out of de hex.

Guatemala have the upper hand now...we have to rely on Cuba to pull a result against them home or away.  And we need at least a point in Guatemala...tough but based on Saturday's match not impossible.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »
Nuff u post what I feelin and DY feel d same way and gone back 2 d UK
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:12:42 AM »
Ah hope Maturana realize now how foolish it was to leave out players like Birchall, John an Roberts now.  Even if he didn't play them on Saturday they would have been available for the USA game.  Now we chances of picking up even 1 point on Wednesday gone from slim to none. Good job Maturana.

exactly
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:15:54 AM »
But what is this…like we blight Boi. What I doh understand is why thee same men always getting carded.  We start off thee run with a skeleton crew, so wha is thee big deal. We go have to do with what we have. Leh Yorke go back to Sunderland and sit down on thee bench. 
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
We had ah chance to basically knock Guatemala hopes of making de hex out on Saturday and we blew it.  We have to find some way to tie de US on wednesday and pray that Cuba pull off a tie  against guatemala.

Ah cyah believe we back to this club vs country thing with Dwight Yorke again.  This is nonsense.  Yorke know it is up to him and not Sunderland if he wants to play against de US.  If he chooses to go back to Sunderland instead of play on Wednesday I say drop his ass permanently.  

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
I think the technical point is that dwight retired officially from international games- I think Keane is playing on this ... dwight will be missed by t & t  - he really made a difference in the team on saturday >:(

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »
All yuh Trinis  is d best d man come out ah retirement 4 we. All yuh ever tink dat if Keane did know he did plan 2 play 4 we he might not have gotten d contract

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »
nah nah nah NOT FOR THIS GAME DREAD!!!!! we need all the firepower we can get for USA. is about flikking time T&T beat USA.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »
Yea, lemme hear all of all yuh who was telling Keane to hull he mudda so and so...steups.

As I said in the previous thread....D Boss speak.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=37592.0

It doh matter how much friggin times Yorke retire and un-retire no one should have the power from stopping any player from his country in a major thing like World Cup qualifying matches,ah say nobody and ah mean nofactingbody.That is the way football going in our times yuh doh own them bcoz yuh pay them.

Its written all over the international news wire dat Dwight Yorke of Trinidad and Tobago came out of retirement to resume football duties for his country..................tell Kean to shut he dutty mudderkhunt...........he feel Yorke chupid ah wah

If Yorke want's to represent his country then that is his choice.  Keane needs to shut his ass...
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland pull T&T captain from USA match.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:38:10 AM »
no news as yet of this at this end, must say I am surprised, can't undersatnd it myself.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 10:41:13 AM »
Roy Keane cant be serious

hear nuh Roy
give de man he freedom to play for his country
this is no ordinary match, dis is a WCQ
righto Roy...he gobe dere den?
tanks man ;)
we cool now ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »
D man all ready in jolly old England d conord stop fly he eh go b dey

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 10:46:26 AM »
Don't be surprised fellas.

Yorke knows that he has to fight for his place in Sunderland team. All the talk about how much he already do and how much money he already make means nothing. Yorke knows that the top flight career is nearing an end and he desperate to keep it going as long as possible. Can't blame him for that.

On the other hand he could retire from TnT tomorrow and if we playing England or Germany in 2 years time he will walk back on the field without a question being asked. In fact everybody will rejoice.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
Yorke is very valuable to the team, but we played well without him and won in cuba, i am being positive as to say that we can win without him, the US did not look impressive at all and if we attack we can win or draw at least; i dont see any reason to lose hope.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 10:48:49 AM »
History is ah hell of a ting d US have we number and d veterans who go want 2 beat dem badddddddd disruptive and eh on d team so all who smellin victory etc I hope all yuh is some good bloodhound

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 10:53:40 AM »
Obviously Keene is using a guarantee of a coaching role for Yorke in the Sunderland setup as a bargaining tool in this issue, becasue he has no grounding under Fifa rules to recall Yorke, once he has made himself available for selection and has been included in the squad.  The undertone of Yorke's statement hints that there is more in this for him in the long run, and he has asked the TTFF not to pursue the matter.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »
Yorke recalled because of injury.
especially since the KJ disaster.

Going into the game kene must have told him you will only be allowed to play one game so as not to stress the injury too much.

It really does not make sense for some one with limited match fitness to play 2 matches in 4 days especially with a muscle strain.

It was one game from the time he left to go and play from england, he just not did not make it known publicly because of the comess.

Yorke playing the blame the manager not me game.

they know what they doing.

Maturana probably even know upfront.

That and all would not surprise me.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
We had ah chance to basically knock Guatemala hopes of making de hex out on Saturday and we blew it.  We have to find some way to tie de US on wednesday and pray that Cuba pull off a tie  against guatemala.

Ah cyah believe we back to this club vs country thing with Dwight Yorke again.  This is nonsense.  Yorke know it is up to him and not Sunderland if he wants to play against de US.  If he chooses to go back to Sunderland instead of play on Wednesday I say drop his ass permanently.  
Ent!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »
didnt know the contract extension had all that behind it...

after reading that i think it doesnt make sense to have yorke as a key figure to rely on IF this is going to be the case all the time now.
Maturana will have trouble settling his squad.
As much as i want yorke to play every game cause he real play against Guatemala (doh mind i hear from d replays of the goal he was partially to blame for it....any confirmations?), it gonna hurt the team int he long run

Plus men like Birchall and whitley not there
wtf going on with maturana not to call up Birchall though?? set up 2 goals a couple games ago...now he benching..
hhmmm
and i think kerry baptiste hadda start

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
      I agree totally! With Yorke gone Maturana is a real ass to not beg Birchie to come and play ASAP!! We doh even have Whitley either. And yes Stern and Darryl Roberts will definitely be missed vs. the US in particular based on the strategy and the way the US plays as opposed to the Central American countries. Gosh you mean he could not get Birchie self wheey...

I was real hoping for a draw but now I eh sure yes... as usual we love to shoot ourselves in the foot over and over and over again!! Bring back Birchie for Good asshold Maturana even as a sub self!!

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
i accepting the fact that stern aint in the reckoning again..as much as he's get me pissed with his laziness...
he is a goalscorer who can make something outta nothing.....

but birchall and roberts would be needed in this case i think. that USA game gonna be physical for sure
the key in that game is not to concede in the first 20mins at least!
otehrwise we screwed. happened in teh 2006 WC qualifying...got a dumb goal and that was it...deflated our team...

what all ya think should be the starting 11 for the USA game?

Offline Saywha

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
All yuh ent check how Dwight Yorke muscles bulging  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »
I can't see how you all blaming Yorke. It's not like one of us own a EPL team and can give Yorke a coaching job whenever he cannot play no more. The man have to secure he future and it is up to the TTFF to sit down with Yorke and discuuss his intent before allowing him to join the team. As volatile as Yorke is the onus is on the TTFF. Whereas they don't care, the figure sya 14000 people in the stands for the last game.

It does not matter if Keane play him or not, realise the promise of a coaching job or not, Yorke taking the steps which are necessary to get to where he want to go. Cannot blame him for that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>