March 29, 2024, 04:37:41 AM

Author Topic: Maturana holds firm on selections.  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maturana holds firm on selections.
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
Maturana holds firm on selections.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Trinidad and Tobago national football team head coach Francisco Maturana admitted to disenchantment after Saturday's 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw against Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.

Maturana offered that some of the mistakes might have been his own too. But the two-time Colombia World Cup coach made it clear that he was not interested in making popular decisions or massaging egos.

In the post-match press conference, reporters questioned Maturana on his team selection and, in particular, the omission of former 2006 World Cup midfielder Chris Birchall. The Colombian, who was thought to be easily influenced in matters of team selection early in his term, cut a defiant pose.

"The best eleven players were on the field," he said, though an interpreter, to dismiss the claims of Birchall and record national scorer, Stern John. "(All questions) should be on players who were on the field."

But, when tested, Maturana was not keen to talk about players who took part either. He assured the Trinidad and Tobago public that he was not shy to privately criticise his players, though.

"I do not want to judge individual players in public," he said. "I was once a football player and, if a coach criticised me in public, I would tell him where to go

"But privately I will (criticise). I have already spoken to some players between when the game ended and now."

He initially declined the opportunity to explain his halftime substitutions of Carlos Edwards and Densill Theobold although he later suggested that he hoped Anthony Wolfe and Andre Toussaint would bring more aggression in trying to wrestle ball possession from Guatemala.

"I have the privilege and responsibility to always try to do what I think is best," said Maturana. "Sometimes I might be wrong but I stand by my changes."

The Warriors are second in Group C, two points behind the United States but three points clear of Guatemala and four ahead of bottom placed Cuba. There are four remaining matches including their fixture away to the US on Wednesday. The top two teams progress to the final CONCACAF qualifying round.

"The group we are in is extremely even," said Maturana. "(But) this draw does not affect our strategy (against the US)."

Maturana was complimentary to Guatemala, who played throughout with a lone striker, Carlos Ruiz, intermittently supported by three attacking midfielders.

"We played against a good team," he said. "I want to compliment (Guatemala coach) Ramon Maradiaga for planting a solid team on the field. It was not an easy game but we had more chances to score."

Maradiaga was not nearly as diplomatic. He sought to convince the media that Trinidad and Tobago captain and midfielder Dwight Yorke, who set up the lone goal for Keon Daniel, was a defensive liability that Guatemala sought to exploit.

The Honduras-born coach also blamed Yorke for delaying the replacement of their injured goalkeeper Ricardo Trigueno in the 67th minute by insisting to the Panamanian referee, Roberto Moreno, that Trigueno should leave the field on his feet. The suggestion was that, for the four minutes Trigueno lay flat on his back, Yorke was bizarrely debating the medical diagnosis of the Guatemalan team doctor.

Maradiaga criticised the referee too for not allowing substitute goalkeeper Luis Molina more time to prepare before entering the fray although Molina warmed up from the halftime interval with the other substitutes, had the four minutes that Trigueno lay on the ground and took an additional two minutes to do jumping exercises.

Daniel beat Molina with a thumping strike off the underside of the bar in the 85th minute although, ironically, Guatemalan defender Carlos Gallardo fashioned an equalizer in the five minutes of injury time.

"I can understand disenchantment (at the result)," said Maturana. "I am a bit disenchanted myself because I really wanted to win. (But) this is World Cup qualifying and, at this stage, nothing comes easy."

Maturana knows a thing or two about World Cup qualifying games and building a victorious team. The Colombian insisted, politely but firmly, that he was not about to implement a suggestion box.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:31:09 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana holds firm on selections
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:49:37 AM »
How can you support a coach whose decisions are suspect?  Especially when there aren't the results to prove it?  I was in a conversation where men was berating Pacho and I was saying give de man a chance.  Now I aint so sure.  Would Stern, D. Roberts and Birchie have made a difference in the result? Maybe not but ah 90% sure the attitude and psychology of it would have made a better team.  It only getting harder from here, leh we try an help we own self.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »
Stand firm brudder stand firm.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:12:26 AM »
How can you support a coach whose decisions are suspect?

Whenever a coach loses his decsions can come under scrutiny and quite rightly in the case of Pacho.  But seriously speaking we need to move past questioning squad/team selection.  Question the resultant strategy and results based on the performance.  The very good performance on Saturday night gives Pacho a lifeline (actually a rope).  If I had a choice I would not change the starting 11.  Any player left out might have brought a difference both in attitude and result (one result possibility being a lost).  We made a mistake (actually we fell asleep on defense) in the last minute and was punished.  Case closed.

It is good to have the resulting depth, especially if we make it to the Hex.  Noting the injuries, suspensions and personal decisions not to run for the country, having players who have played well and gained confidence in some earlier games is critical to the long term plans.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana holds firm on selections.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »
Maradiaga criticised the referee too for not allowing substitute goalkeeper Luis Molina more time to prepare before entering the fray although Molina warmed up from the halftime interval with the other substitutes, had the four minutes that Trigueno lay on the ground and took an additional two minutes to do jumping exercisesahmm

excuse meh ignorance eh, but is de ref supposed to allow a sub-keeper time to warm up?

"We played against a good team," he said. "I want to compliment (Guatemala coach) Ramon Maradiaga for planting a solid team on the field. It was not an easy game but we had more chances to score."

IMHO, who gives ah rat's ass whether he plant a friggin solid team, concentrate on planting ah solid team yuh damn self, steups!!!

anybody who was in de stadium hear anybody from de bench shouting-before de freekick-to not let anybody run free and to pick men up.....and yes, yes ah know as international players dey supposed to know dis, but was anyone shouting from de bench, steups, complimenting guatemela coach bout de solid team he pick, steups!!!!!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »
As far as de kpr injury ... struck me as a situation that could have gotten outta hand ...

We needed someone to step in, so big up to Dwight for doing so. Intervention was necessary.

Two examples of goalkeeper injuries necessitating a kpr change that come to mind are Nery Pumpido being replaced by Goicochea (World Cup 90) and Bobadilla stepping on for current captain, Justo Villar in the Paraguay v England match from our group in Germany. Ah cyah recall any special privileges being extended to either ah dem. Maradiaga only playing ting ...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:27:54 AM »
It is a substitution so the ref does not allow anytime to get ready, you have to be ready. Injury or not is a substitution.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
Lower St. John... extremely well said dred  :beermug:

Asylum... Pumpido... Goicochea???  Wheyyyyyy you take mih back tuh mih childhood wid dem names sah... before my distaste for the Argentinians crystallized.  I was juss starting to follow international ball den.

elan... I'm not sure but my guess is that the referee has it in his discretion (if not outright required) to grant extra time for a player to get loose when he's pressed into service b/c of injury.  After all, forcing a man to come on cold and tight is just inviting another injury on the field.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »
What is de difference between public criticism and private criticism? We want to know why yuh ent playing the same man yuh need to hassle thee ball in the middle ah thee field. Birchall?? Thee more ah hear he talk is more ah getting vex. Like is ah fool we have fuh ah coach boi.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
Referee's decision as far as a reasonable time for goalkeeper to get ready. Any field player does not get this consideration
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
What is de difference between public criticism and private criticism? We want to know why yuh ent playing the same man yuh need to hassle thee ball in the middle ah thee field. Birchall?? Thee more ah hear he talk is more ah getting vex. Like is ah fool we have fuh ah coach boi.

Nah pardna, de private versus public criticism distinction is valid. Dahis de mantra of many, many top flight coaches ... Generally, coaches only ever go public when is a lever dey trying to pull.  How dat go wuk when yuh geh on TV and bawl ... so and so play shit ... and man over so cyah follow instructions to save he life etc etc ... in sum it not productive or professional.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:04 PM »
carter?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  (Albert Einstein)

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:44 PM »

Nah pardna, de private versus public criticism distinction is valid. Dahis de mantra of many, many top flight coaches ... Generally, coaches only ever go public when is a lever dey trying to pull.  How dat go wuk when yuh geh on TV and bawl ... so and so play shit ... and man over so cyah follow instructions to save he life etc etc ... in sum it not productive or professional.

So just sit down ah man fuh passing off ah captain arm band and you doh have to say nuttin?? He needs to update we with info, that is we national team. If he says it private or public it go still come out. He drop Birchall fuh thee two games, but talking about hustle in thee middle. That is ah fool!

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 01:10:11 PM »
Forgive me for making just a general statement, but sometimes I think us supporters are living in some fantasy world where we supposed to be beating teams like Guatemala easily and mashing up the U.S. I saw the game on Saturday and quite frankly, we looked as solid as we can expect for the level of talent we’re putting on the field.

I think Stern John, Roberts and Birchall should at least be on the team if not starting but what if their attitudes do not please the coach and their play on the field isn’t good enough for him to put up with their disruptive attitudes? Not saying this is the case, but maybe it is.

What exactly do we as the supporters want from this coach? We’re in second place in a group behind one of the top teams in the region. We were very very unlucky not to win the last game, a game in which we competed from start to finish. What is the big problem with the coach? Is it because he’s not picking our favourite players? Should he put up with disrespectful and disruptive behaviour because we the fans want to see certain players on the field? I love this forum but when I read some this stuff I just have to wonder what kind of dream land we living in when we expect Stern John and Chris Brichall to make us CONCACAF powerhouses.  Yes they should be on the team but we have to trust the coache’s decision; he didn’t drop from a tree and started calling himself a coach, he may actually have a clue of what he’s doing.

For example, when Aklie Edwards, Jamal Gay, Guevara, Joyce and Cupid among others were playing in all those games before WCQ started we were criticizing the coach for using too many players and experimenting too much. With Yorke, Hyland and John out already who are we looking too to fill the gaps in the team, those same young players who he was giving exposure too in the earlies. He knew there might come a time when he will have to call on these same young players to replace the veterans. Yet all we did was bawl how Edwards not ready and blah blah blah as if we know anything about running a national football program.
Anyway, don’t take offense to my rant but these are just some of my humble opinions. In my fantasy I’ll be looking for a point on Wednesday   

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »
On  195.5 on sunday when speaking about the game they said  stern talks down on player etc etc and he a disruptive element..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
On  195.5 on sunday when speaking about the game they said  stern talks down on player etc etc and he a disruptive element..

Yeah, buh all dem men duss read de forum :devil:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 05:12:03 PM »
Forgive me for making just a general statement, but sometimes I think us supporters are living in some fantasy world where we supposed to be beating teams like Guatemala easily and mashing up the U.S. I saw the game on Saturday and quite frankly, we looked as solid as we can expect for the level of talent we’re putting on the field.

I think Stern John, Roberts and Birchall should at least be on the team if not starting but what if their attitudes do not please the coach and their play on the field isn’t good enough for him to put up with their disruptive attitudes? Not saying this is the case, but maybe it is.

What exactly do we as the supporters want from this coach? We’re in second place in a group behind one of the top teams in the region. We were very very unlucky not to win the last game, a game in which we competed from start to finish. What is the big problem with the coach? Is it because he’s not picking our favourite players? Should he put up with disrespectful and disruptive behaviour because we the fans want to see certain players on the field? I love this forum but when I read some this stuff I just have to wonder what kind of dream land we living in when we expect Stern John and Chris Brichall to make us CONCACAF powerhouses.  Yes they should be on the team but we have to trust the coache’s decision; he didn’t drop from a tree and started calling himself a coach, he may actually have a clue of what he’s doing.

For example, when Aklie Edwards, Jamal Gay, Guevara, Joyce and Cupid among others were playing in all those games before WCQ started we were criticizing the coach for using too many players and experimenting too much. With Yorke, Hyland and John out already who are we looking too to fill the gaps in the team, those same young players who he was giving exposure too in the earlies. He knew there might come a time when he will have to call on these same young players to replace the veterans. Yet all we did was bawl how Edwards not ready and blah blah blah as if we know anything about running a national football program.
Anyway, don’t take offense to my rant but these are just some of my humble opinions. In my fantasy I’ll be looking for a point on Wednesday   

well this is my first post here....................... been lurking for a while hello everybody and I have to say I agree with the above, I saw few thing wrong with Saturday's game, the equalizing goal was a set play.....right? how the hell does formation become an issue in a situation like that ??? as suggested above

stern would have been a nice to have....sure, but there needs to be succession planning as well, and if the rumours are true and he's more of a pain than an inspiration to the younger players .......um isn't that a bad thing, regardless of his resume ???

for the most part they looked a cohesive unit, and to me that more important than giving everybody their favorites.

Latapy is my favorite player of all time, but when it took his return from retirement to re-ignite our qualification hopes the scary thought that there might not be much life in trinidad football after him entered my mind, I have to say that those worries have been quieted a lot, because to me this is one of the more solid group od four starts I have seen

mi 2 cent.

I pity the fool....

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 06:36:20 PM »
Well ah hope he make this selection fuh thee US game...

Marvin Phillips

Dennis Laurence

Cyd Gray                           Keyeno Thomas                          Juluis James

Densill Theobold          Keon Daniel

Carlos Edwards                                                                           Jason Scotland

Andre Toussaint

Cornell Glen    (Ah Angel ;D)   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:37:13 AM by Weh-it-is »

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »
wait nah, roberts was in trinidad saturday and he eh play? would be nice to have Dwarika in that mix to boi

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 07:05:40 PM »
the difference between all this criticism and negativity is 90 seconds.
there should be no big adjustments to tactics, nor big basing of players.
90 second again and we would have been on the back of 4 straight wins...

Lets hope we continue our good away form (jamaica, bermuda, cuba, el salvador in the us) and do well on the road....
Not too sure how the missing yorke will go down, he is indeed a little bit of a defensive liability it seems, the us will come running at us with a very fast game and force us into errors, i can see it already..yorke woulda calm us down but he mighta struggle with the game.
point is, lets move on and deal with what we have.

Hope carlos comes good for us, he is overdue for a gem of a performance and maybe a goal.

Like plety of allyuh, i wish stern and birchall was there, maybe they have a place in the near future, esp birchall, but i feel stern's style woulda be easy to shut down vs the usa...its clear maturana has an idea on how his strikers should play, and stern does not fit that mould.
good luck on Wed!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 07:14:36 PM »
No one individual ought to be bigger than the team. We ought to respect a man's decision if he is given that job to coach and to make the decisions for the betterment of the team, we ought to live with it. We may not all agree with it but at the end of the day, is the coach who has to be accountable.

Imagine  how it would feel if we knew that there were players who were deliberately taking actions to 'sabotage' a coach? Let's not be naive to think  it does not happen. What if certain players  refused to play because their partners eh get pick?

I would like to think that our very best ought to be on this team but the mere fact that as fans we are not privy to reasons for player selection could be disconcerting. I would like to respect that what happens between players and a coach is a private matter. If and when  those disagreements could be resolved and the player is deemed worthy to contribute to the team, them the coach could make that decision. I would like to believe that since no one of the fans in here I know of has never coached a team to the World Cup and this present coach has, then  some credit must be given for the decisions he has made regarding player selections.

I may not totally agree with  the omission of some players, but I am not the coach; I am not aware of what  considerations were factored into that decision. Anything that is aired may just be speculation. At the end of the day, players have to be accountable to the team and not themselves when they waer the national colours.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

So just sit down ah man fuh passing off ah captain arm band and you doh have to say nuttin?? He needs to update we with info, that is we national team. If he says it private or public it go still come out. He drop Birchall fuh thee two games, but talking about hustle in thee middle. That is ah fool!

Pacho isn't... nor should he be accountable to the fans.  We don't like it but that's just how it is.  Like Asylum say...big difference between criticizing a player privately and tearing him down in the press.  Look at it this way, if it was beef between two players... or if the player had a problem with the coach, should he/they address it privately, or take it to the press?

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
wait nah, roberts was in trinidad saturday and he eh play? would be nice to have Dwarika in that mix to boi

It look like he geh ah text to Boi. He name was on thee list then it fall off just so.  ???

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
Referee's decision as far as a reasonable time for goalkeeper to get ready. Any field player does not get this consideration

Just going back to the goal keeper injury issue.....when the goal keeper went down, I started looking for the reserve keeper warming up one time, but only the regular reserves were warming up.

After about 2 mins of the keeper being down, I still eh see the reserve keeper warming up....so when they finally take the keeper off the field, after about 4 mins of being on the ground, the reserve keeper NOW start to warm up.

So when the referee blow to restart, de reserve keeper now stretching and thing....dis went on for about 1 -2 mins....

Something eh wrong dey??....shouldn't de reserve keeper have been warming one time once the first keeper hit de ground??....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 08:53:52 AM »
Just going back to the goal keeper injury issue.....when the goal keeper went down, I started looking for the reserve keeper warming up one time, but only the regular reserves were warming up.

Sitting in the covered stands, we observed the keeper was going thru the warm-up session with the other reserves behind the team bench on the track almost a full 10 minutes before the incident involving the injury.  The warm up session became more intense for the reserve goal keeper almost 3 minutes into the starter being on the ground.  The warm up excuse by the Guatemal Coach is weak at best.

Blessing
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »
So Stern disruptive which team in sport eh have a disruptive talented player? What dem have is coach and mgmt who know how 2 manage these individuals. If Forbes did start b4 I ah all yuh all yuh would a b disruptive 2
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>