April 28, 2024, 02:05:17 PM

Author Topic: U.S. looks to take advantage of home setting  (Read 4879 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
U.S. looks to take advantage of home setting
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
U.S. looks to take advantage of home setting
By Jeff Carlisle, ESPNsoccernet

September 8, 2008

Home may be where heart resides, but when the U.S. men's national team hosts Trinidad and Tobago on Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2), the Yanks will be hoping it's where a few other things can be found as well. Like some goals, not to mention more consistency in attack, and, oh yeah, their third consecutive World Cup qualifying win in this semifinal round.

Former MLS journeyman Cornell Glen heads the Soca Warriors' front line.

It's gotten to the point where every time the U.S. wins, the victory is immediately followed up by the statement "It wasn't pretty but they still won." Yet a quick look around the rest of the weekend's World Cup qualifying action reveals that road qualifying victories can't be taken for granted. Witness England's 2-0 win at Andorra (which was tied 0-0 at half), or Sweden's 0-0 draw in Albania, and you realize that there is some value -- check that, a lot of value -- in playing effective soccer, even if it is drab.

But just like Dorothy laying eyes on the man behind the curtain for the first time, such performances leave one asking, "Is that all there is? Is this all we can expect?" Certainly a difficult match in Guatemala was anticipated. But a 1-0 result against what was essentially a semiprofessional side in Cuba leaves plenty to ponder, namely whether this team possesses enough potency in attack to trouble the world's better teams.

"I think we're moving in the right direction, and the goals will eventually come," said midfielder Clint Dempsey, who scored the only goal against Cuba. "The goals are there, and that's not something we're really worried about as a team. I think people will see more goals in this Trinidad game. I'm really looking forward to getting forward and having more of an attacking presence."

Consistency has been a problem, with performance levels tending to rise and fall within a matter of minutes. Maurice Edu played some excellent balls out of midfield on Saturday, but also had some dreadful turnovers in bad spots. Brian Ching was the beneficiary of one of Edu's passes in the first half, one that put him in the clear behind the Cuban defense, yet a poor first touch killed the threat. Then again, the Hawaiian did have a strong game with his back to goal.

U.S. men's schedule
U.S. vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Wednesday
Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Ill.
8 p.m. ET, ESPN2
ESPN360.com

The hope of course is that having some home cooking, not to mention some smooth playing surfaces and a reliable lighting system, will raise the Americans' game the requisite few percentage points needed to get the goals flowing.

"The last two qualifiers we've played it's been rainy and muddy, and the conditions of the field on [Wednesday] are going to be a lot better," said Dempsey. "I think the passing will be better and the speed of play will be quicker. When the game is played quick, and we do those type of things, we open up teams more."

Standing in the Americans' way is a T&T side that has undergone a fair amount of upheaval in the past year. When the team last visited the U.S. at the 2007 Gold Cup, it was a team in the middle of an ugly dispute over World Cup bonuses that robbed it of 16 players. The results were predictable, as the Soca Warriors were eliminated in the group stage having earned just a solitary point, and there was real concern over how much long-term damage had been done to the T&T program.

But a year later, it appears that all is not lost. The dispute was resolved in favor of the players, and several of those performers have been called in by head coach Francisco Maturana for qualifying. After defeating Cuba 3-1 in Havana in its opening semifinal match, T&T did suffer a minor setback on Saturday, coughing up a stoppage time equalizer against Guatemala, but the side is very much in the hunt for qualification for next year's final-round hexagonal.

Much of the credit for repairing the Soca Warriors' collective psyche goes to Maturana, who fans will recall presided over Colombia's devastating -- and ultimately tragic -- 2-1 defeat to the Americans at the 1994 World Cup, one that was followed two weeks later by the murder of defender Andres Escobar. With T&T, the Colombian has successfully brought back some of the previously banned players, while also blending in new talents like Keon Daniel, who has scored three goals in the team's last two qualifying matches.

But Maturana's road has been anything but smooth. He sensationally left out veteran striker Stern John for the semifinal round without bothering to give the Southampton forward so much as a phone call. Also excluded for Wednesday's match is midfielder Chris Birchall, who after suffering from food poisoning in the Cuba match, was informed by text message that his services wouldn't be needed.

Maturana also found himself on shaky footing during the preliminary round of World Cup qualifying, when T&T surprisingly lost at home 2-1 to Bermuda, although the Soca Warriors did rally to win the return leg 2-0, with John netting the game winner.

Yet since that match, Maturana has preferred the pace of former MLS veteran Cornell Glen to the finishing of John, while Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones recovers from knee surgery. And Glen has certainly repaid Maturana's faith, scoring against Cuba and providing some overall solid play as the team's lone forward.

"The team are certainly playing with more confidence than they were a month and a half ago," said ESPN analyst and former T&T international goalkeeper Shaka Hislop. "Maturana has shown that he's willing to make big decisions, and the team are playing better for it."

Maturana had also given a lifeline to 36-year-old Dwight Yorke, who while lacking the pace of his earlier days, had helped T&T in an attacking midfield role, where his experience has been put to good use. But now it appears that a club versus country row will rob T&T of Yorke's services, dealing a heavy blow to the Soca Warriors chances.

"[T&T] have a lot of young players who are very creative, but who also play with a confidence that quite frankly is a little bit alarming," added Hislop. "What Dwight has is a certain quality, a certain composure at that highest level."

With Yorke now apparently unavailable, even more of the attacking onus will be on the Americans. It's a role that hasn't always suited them, but one in which they'll have to become more comfortable if they are to progress on the world stage.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: U.S. looks to take advantage of home setting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:56:40 PM »
I will say it here again......

After watching the USA against Guatemala and Cuba, albeit away games...I say they are ripe for the picking...we should go all out and try to win this game...and YES I think it's "winable"...so ah hope Matu gets this one right....we CAN win this game 

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »

After watching the USA against Guatemala and Cuba, albeit away games...I say they are ripe for the picking...we should go all out and try to win this game...and YES I think it's "winable"...so ah hope Matu gets this one right....we CAN win this game 

Big Up!

:whistling: ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
Notice the 4cars and them schedule  the game in the midwest and not in the sunny climes or larger TNT populations bases of L.A. or Florida.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 05:05:28 PM »
Notice the 4cars and them schedule  the game in the midwest and not in the sunny climes or larger TNT populations bases of L.A. or Florida.

well it's why they call it home advantage..no reason why they should make it easier for us...we jus need to go out there and play the game... :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »
Dat mean we could hold we home game in Valencia grounds?

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 06:08:30 PM »
I’m hoping we could go in Chi town and break people's heart with ah confident win.  Look out fuh Daniels and Carlos to come up big in this game.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:46:01 PM »
I feel we could rest ah bull-pistle on them yanks. Support? we go have enough people... look how we play against el salvador in dc and we only had bout 300 trinis. Buh we go need some luck on we side though

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »
This team that will be playing in de US on Wednesday is probably de weakest team out of any of our teams that has faced de US in de US in a world cup qualifier in a very long time.  If we make some of de silly mistakes we always make we could end up on de wrong side of a 5-0 beating or worse.  I think this team is so fragile right now that they are one or two early goals away from mentally collapsing.  I think we have to survive at least the first 20 - 30 minutes without conceding a goal for this team have any chance of building some confidence and picking up at least a point tonight.

Honestly, I don't care how ugly we look on Wednesday night as long as we don't concede a goal.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:53 AM »
Dat mean we could hold we home game in Valencia grounds?

Come on Alberta... make some kinda sense nuh man.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:56:54 AM »
This team that will be playing in de US on Wednesday is probably de weakest team out of any of our teams that has faced de US in de US in a world cup qualifier in a very long time.  If we make some of de silly mistakes we always make we could end up on de wrong side of a 5-0 beating or worse.   I think this team is so fragile right now that they are one or two early goals away from mentally collapsing.  I think we have to survive at least the first 20 - 30 minutes without conceding a goal for this team have any chance of building some confidence and picking up at least a point tonight.

Honestly, I don't care how ugly we look on Wednesday night as long as we don't concede a goal.

Shhhh....the US ripe for ah beating. The Strike Squad muster up a draw in Cali, the best result for a long time vs the US, the only team in T&T history to qualify for the WC get spanked going and coming, but the US ripe for the picking.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline vale

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:57:05 AM »
Vibes it up!!!

;D ;D ;D

Wish our team all the best. Win, Lose or Draw, I am a Soca Warrior!!!

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:00:09 AM »
The temperature will be 13 degrees cel. in the night in chicago, so it will be chilly, the US team trying to freeze us into losing lol, i would suggest the team play the US at midday in trinidad on the return home, instead of a night game.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »
This team that will be playing in de US on Wednesday is probably de weakest team out of any of our teams that has faced de US in de US in a world cup qualifier in a very long time.  If we make some of de silly mistakes we always make we could end up on de wrong side of a 5-0 beating or worse.   I think this team is so fragile right now that they are one or two early goals away from mentally collapsing.  I think we have to survive at least the first 20 - 30 minutes without conceding a goal for this team have any chance of building some confidence and picking up at least a point tonight.

Shhhh....the US ripe for ah beating. The Strike Squad muster up a draw in Cali, the best result for a long time vs the US, the only team in T&T history to qualify for the WC get spanked going and coming, but the US ripe for the picking.

The US just posted 2 away victories in countries where they had never won before and you think they ripe fuh ah beating?  I think I would be a lot more cautious in my thinking than that.  I think we will be facing a very confident team.  They are also coming into this match knowing that with a victory they will just about be qualified for the hex.
I see that as a very dangerous team.  There is no pressure on de US in Wednesday's game.  All de pressure is on us especially after we gave away 2 points at home on Saturday.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:21:01 AM »

The US just posted 2 away victories in countries where they had never won before and you think they ripe fuh ah beating?  I think I would be a lot more cautious in my thinking than that.  I think we will be facing a very confident team.  They are also coming into this match knowing that with a victory they will just about be qualified for the hex.
I see that as a very dangerous team.  There is no pressure on de US in Wednesday's game.  All de pressure is on us especially after we gave away 2 points at home on Saturday.

NUFF yuh lose it man, I was being sarcastic read this  vvvvv

Big Up!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »
Elan I actually have to agree with DeSoWa... the US midfield is currently in a state of flux, and like the Soca Warriors they too are struggling to find their early identity.  They are at their strongest in the back, as per usual... and their pace up front and on the flanks will give us problems... again, nothing new there. 

The typical formula in our defeats to this squad has been that we concede early (for whatever reason... nerves, intimidation, awe...bad doubles...) then we find our legs midway thru the first, settle in by the break, then force them to hold on for the second half.  In going all out we then usually leave ourselves vulnerable to further tallies... late in the second half.  I haven't looked at the stats recently, but I'd be surprised if I'm wrong with this.  Matter of fact prior to one of our recent games they acknowledged as much... how historically they've tried to jump on us from the gun and immediately impose their will.  This shows a tremendous lack of respect (perhaps justifiably) for our composure and morale as a team... but it's up to us to change that.

So again, given their current vulnerabilities we should capitalize by not conceding anything early... be content with the draw if necessary, but certainly make the most of our opportunities when they present themselves.  We know we won't get too many opportunities because this is a team that doesn't concede a whole lot, certainly not to inferior competition (which is what we presently are).  Again, up to us to change that.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:43:21 AM »
Check our lineup from the last time we faced the US in a World Cup qualifier and lost.  Compare it to our current squad (note the central midfield trio of Whitely, Birchall and Yorke and look who was on the subs not used list) and ask yourself who's ripe for a beating now...

21-Kelvin Jack; 3-Avery John, 4-Marvin Andrews, 2-Atiba Charles (8-Scott Sealy, 46+), 6-Dennis Lawrence; 9-Aurtis Whitley, 16-Silvio Spann, 7-Christopher Birchall, 20-Collin Samuel (5-Brent Sancho, 46+); 19-Dwight Yorke (capt.), 14-Stern John (15-Kenwyne Jones, 55)
Subs not used: 1-Shaka Hislop, 18-Densil Theobold, 23-Anthony Wolfe, 24-Cyd Gray
Head Coach: Leo Beenhakker

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
Check our lineup from the last time we faced the US in a World Cup qualifier and lost.  Compare it to our current squad (note the central midfield trio of Whitely, Birchall and Yorke and look who was on the subs not used list) and ask yourself who's ripe for a beating now...

21-Kelvin Jack; 3-Avery John, 4-Marvin Andrews, 2-Atiba Charles (8-Scott Sealy, 46+), 6-Dennis Lawrence; 9-Aurtis Whitley, 16-Silvio Spann, 7-Christopher Birchall, 20-Collin Samuel (5-Brent Sancho, 46+); 19-Dwight Yorke (capt.), 14-Stern John (15-Kenwyne Jones, 55)
Subs not used: 1-Shaka Hislop, 18-Densil Theobold, 23-Anthony Wolfe, 24-Cyd Gray

So....

your point would be that the Soca Warriors are more ripe for a beating?  Interesting point, I'm sure... except no one was really arguing which team is more ripe for the beating.

If you don't think the US are ripe for a beating then feel free to make your case.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
The temperature will be 13 degrees cel. in the night in chicago, so it will be chilly, the US team trying to freeze us into losing lol, i would suggest the team play the US at midday in trinidad on the return home, instead of a night game.

Saddest we try that already...November 19, 1989...ahhhh it didn't work...

Arimian to meh heart

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »

So....

your point would be that the Soca Warriors are more ripe for a beating?  Interesting point, I'm sure... except no one was really arguing which team is more ripe for the beating.

Bake N Shark, Please follow the thread before attempting to spin words.
Hart for president

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »

If you don't think the US are ripe for a beating then feel free to make your case.

I may be interpreting it differently but 'ripe for a beating' implies to me that the chances of the US being beaten now are higher than they have been in the past.
So to make my case, for one thing you cannot judge their performances on the road against Cuba and Guatemala and draw conclusions from that because they usually play much better at home.
Secondly, even if you feel the performances were less than impressive in those games, they achieved something no other US team has achieved before, a road WCQ win in Guatemala.  Hardly the sign of a team that's ripe for a beating.
Anyway the point is that you have to look at both sides of the coin, not just what the US squad is doing...even if you feel this US squad may be more vulnerable than in the past...the shortcomings in our current squad make that beating rather unlikely to come to pass.  In other words, they may be 'ripe for a beating' but not by us.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 09:45:30 AM »
Ripe or not....all things being relative of course...if we take 3 points from this game, it'll be a big big surprise....if we get 1 point, we'll take it and smile, if we lose respectfully it would be the normal course of business, and if we get embarassed we will cuss Maturana, Corneal, Keane and Wim.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »
I may be interpreting it differently but 'ripe for a beating' implies to me that the chances of the US being beaten now are higher than they have been in the past.
So to make my case, for one thing you cannot judge their performances on the road against Cuba and Guatemala and draw conclusions from that because they usually play much better at home.
Secondly, even if you feel the performances were less than impressive in those games, they achieved something no other US team has achieved before, a road WCQ win in Guatemala.  Hardly the sign of a team that's ripe for a beating.
Anyway the point is that you have to look at both sides of the coin, not just what the US squad is doing...even if you feel this US squad may be more vulnerable than in the past...the shortcomings in our current squad make that beating rather unlikely to come to pass.  In other words, they may be 'ripe for a beating' but not by us.

All fair points... but the assessment of the US squad hasn't been because of what they did in Cuba or Guatemala.  Like Midknight suggested in his 'macco' thread, I like to keep abreast on what's going on with the competition, paying particular attention to Mexico and the US.  The fact is that there is only a slight bit more stability on that US team than there is with the Warriors currently... just look at the line up changes they've had since the beginning of the year and you'll begin to appreciate just how unsettled even they themselves are.

No one is suggesting that TnT would have a good or even fair chance of beating the US tomorrow.  I think the central point is that they're not invincible... AND, if there is any time to steal one from them now would be the time.  So within that context, they're ripe for a beating.

--------------

Supporter doh worry... juss now we'll dumb down de talk enough so that even you could keep up.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:38 AM »
This team that will be playing in de US on Wednesday is probably de weakest team out of any of our teams that has faced de US in de US in a world cup qualifier in a very long time.  If we make some of de silly mistakes we always make we could end up on de wrong side of a 5-0 beating or worse.  I think this team is so fragile right now that they are one or two early goals away from mentally collapsing.  I think we have to survive at least the first 20 - 30 minutes without conceding a goal for this team have any chance of building some confidence and picking up at least a point tonight.

Even though yuh correct deh Mr. Nuff. I glad you is not thee coach fuh thee team.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
All fair points... but the assessment of the US squad hasn't been because of what they did in Cuba or Guatemala. 

Big Up!

Elan I actually have to agree with DeSoWa... the US midfield is currently in a state of flux, and like the Soca Warriors they too are struggling to find their early identity.  They are at their strongest in the back, as per usual... and their pace up front and on the flanks will give us problems... again, nothing new there.

:P  :beermug:

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »

Even though yuh correct deh Mr. Nuff. I glad you is not thee coach fuh thee team.

If I was de coach ah guarantee we woulda have ah stronger lineup going into tomorrow night's game.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

If I was de coach ah guarantee we woulda have ah stronger lineup going into tomorrow night's game.

That is true..but yuh is not thee coach. ;D Thai why we have ah squad training in thee lobby area in ah hotel. Thai why we ent have man who could out hustle them US man in thee middle like Birchy etc. Thai why we sending people text instead ah making ah call. Send in yuh application fuh thee wuk.  Oh yeah ah forget...How thee coach put Kaleem Hyland on the roster only to find out that he cah play fuh two games?? We in ah mess! But yuh leave out man who could realle jam in thee middle.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:25:28 AM by Weh-it-is »

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:37 AM »

Saddest we try that already...November 19, 1989...ahhhh it didn't work...

Thats true. its alot easyer to play in hot sun than it is to play in cold. plus, it does get hotter in the us than it does in t&t anyway.... and it have ah desert so if they want, they could pratice there to simulate 12 0 clock hot sun.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
Whether dey ripe, green or false ripe a win go make mey nite a draw go insure dat ah sleep ah rite ah defeat go give me a headache a good cuttail go give meh nightmares. So just do all yuh business have a sense of history and b listed as d team 2 deal wit d yanks
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »
The US team will never be ripe for de picking on their soil...especially with the squad we have. I kinda agree that this isnt the more dominant US squads we have seen and many changes have been made during the course of the year, but their pool is deep enough where they can afford to make those changes. TNT approach cannot be to come out guns blazing from the start. They need to build momentum and confidence throughout the game and then they can start asserting themselves on the US. Any early goal will leave this TNT team in a mess!! We just dont have the experience on this team to find a way back in games like this, in a hostile environment such as the one they will be facing. All in all I wish them the best however!!  :beermug: :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

1]; } ?>