April 27, 2024, 05:00:00 PM

Author Topic: Simoes fired !!!  (Read 13782 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Simoes fired !!!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »
Simoes was fired at 1:00 am last night in Honduras

Idiotic to the core but a bit understandable. The problem is money. The JFF would be financially incompetent to keep Simoes on board if they saw no real hope of qualifying. Now if he was getting small money most likely they would have kept him to look to the future.
Now we can see why JW went bargain basement shopping and brought Maturana. HE looked at all the permutations and thought.....no way we cant come out of this and reach the hex. He never catered for the fact that he was bringing a man who is mentally unstable.  There is nothing I wish for more than to see the back of maturana entering a jet heading ofr colombia. I used to jump on BSC but at least he is my own. This man come from whe he come from and allowed me to witness the second worse display by a national team in a wcq. The worst was against mexico when skull took out blanco.
I

Ah sub this sound like you now ..... We can beat gutemala-+----but it would take a serious great effort
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »
Dem Jamaicans real jump de gun. Ent they have 3 home games left..and they winnable. Maybe the player selection and the manner of defeat was to blame. But losing to Mexico and Honduras on the road is no big failure and taking a point off Canada was good. Then again...I really don't care

JUMP THE GUN !!!!!...They accomplish one point in three games...and they have been complaining bout the general aspect of the team performance

Well you clown, ent I hypothesize the same thing in my third sentence. Or you only capable of reading the first sentence in a post? And one point in three games ain't bad if you have 3 home games left and two of your away games are Mexcio and Honduras. Dey shoulda know that licks book. The hurricane mess up their schedule. Is not like a new coach could right that ship now. Best wait and see if they had beat Mexico. But again, I figured it was the manner of the performance to blame moreso than the results...so I eh really know why you waste you time responding to the post.
You know it serious when you start getting vex and calling man names....  :rotfl:

Offline Yardie08

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »
Dem Jamaicans real jump de gun. Ent they have 3 home games left..and they winnable. Maybe the player selection and the manner of defeat was to blame. But losing to Mexico and Honduras on the road is no big failure and taking a point off Canada was good. Then again...I really don't care
Honduras has 2 home games left, Jamaica's max pts 10, Honduras max pts(assuming JA beats them in JA) is 12. Jamaica plays Mex next on Oct 11, Honduras plays Mex as their last match. If Mex sends a "B" team to any of their last 3 away games it would more likely be the last game, and not the Oct 11 game. So if we beat Mex then Honduras should be able to get max points as well from them at home.

Simoes plays 4-5-1 against Canada, 4-4-2 against Mexico and 4-5-1 against honduras. The team might not be good, but that formation rest solely with the coach.  

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
I bounce up Tyrone Marshall in Miami airport dis afternoon, and he was steupsin, shaking he head and saying how tough it was to play three away games in ah row. He say de team only found out about de firing when dey was in de airport in Honduras.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 02:27:07 PM »
I bounce up Tyrone Marshall in Miami airport dis afternoon, and he was steupsin, shaking he head and saying how tough it was to play three away games in ah row. He say de team only found out about de firing when dey was in de airport in Honduras.

why they had 3 in a row on the road to start? was it because of hurricane and one get moved or it was FIFA
if FIFA did them that, that ent right

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »

why they had 3 in a row on the road to start? was it because of hurricane and one get moved or it was FIFA

it was the hurricane. they were supposed to play mexico in Jamaica in their second game.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »

it was the hurricane. they were supposed to play mexico in Jamaica in their second game.

ok thanks
figured so

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Simoes played with fire
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »
Jamaica is not Brazil. We dont have the talent pool to pick up 19 and 18 year old kids and throw them into a tough world cup qualifying series and expect them to come out of a group that includes 3 of the top teams in the region, while seasoned professionals, many with over 30 international caps look on from the sidelines.

I see Maturana pulling the same thing with T&T to a smaller extent too...Stern John is avaialable for selection but not playing. Totally different story from what happen in Central America, they have all their big guns availabale at all cost.

spend the US$1M on something else. Goodbye Rene.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Simoes played with fire
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
Small nations like us have to make the best of our player pool.  Right now, Maturana acting as if our locals are up to the task, while ignoring seasoned professionals.  I don't know if these men giving him lip service in practive when they come home, but good coaches know how to manage egos and get the best out of them.  Maturana look as if he barely scouting the foreign based.  He's made about one trip to observe the foreign based since he's been in charge.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:13 PM »
Welcome to the board Reggae-fan.  I hope you're cooler than your namesake  ;D (jk)... We feel your pain man... Let's hope we can both bounce back and rep the Caribbean in the hex because right now it looks like North America and Central America running the route....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
Jamaica is not Brazil. We dont have the talent pool to pick up 19 and 18 year old kids and throw them into a tough world cup qualifying series and expect them to come out of a group that includes 3 of the top teams in the region, while seasoned professionals, many with over 30 international caps look on from the sidelines.

I see Maturana pulling the same thing with T&T to a smaller extent too...Stern John is avaialable for selection but not playing. Totally different story from what happen in Central America, they have all their big guns availabale at all cost.

yea we both have 2 shit coaches who just taking money and doing shit

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 03:31:52 PM »

r.f ah feel u i still think ja have ah good chance with 3 home games i think they can win,1 point from those 3 games  is not the end with 3 home games left, GOOD LUCK

Offline TTVillafan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
korek, getting a pt from canada, losing to mexico in azteca where even god cyar beat them and losing to honduras who on their day is not a bad concacaf team is not he end... u now back in the office for 3 straight ez 6 if not 7 pts and final rd here u come, so firing simeoes was premature... unlike us who have a dodo to start 7 defenders and go 2 nil down inside 20 mins like we fraid the frigging us who start to shit when we was coming at them

Offline TTVillafan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »
firing simoes ent go help now, 3 straight road games with 1 pt, then home for 3 ent dat bad, i woulda take dat looking at wat we facing, at guatemala where d last 2 games have been 4-1 and 5-1, home to us where hopefully we could get a pt because we fraid them, and try and beat  cuba who beat us here already in digicel cup  .... anybody say south africa 2010.... but to go to a safari camp.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
firing simoes ent go help now, 3 straight road games with 1 pt, then home for 3 ent dat bad, i woulda take dat looking at wat we facing, at guatemala where d last 2 games have been 4-1 and 5-1, home to us where hopefully we could get a pt because we fraid them, and try and beat  cuba who beat us here already in digicel cup  .... anybody say south africa 2010.... but to go to a safari camp.......

cuba did not beat us in the digicel cup.....We can beat Guatemala in Guatemala with the right players and whit out that "coach"... the only advantage they may have is that they have been playing together for a while
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
http://www.janela@botafogo.net

News Flash: Folho de Botafogo.
By Rasputinao De Asis. Writer

10am EST: Reports to our Rio Bureau at 9:00 am EST today indicates that former TD of The ReggaeBoyz Clovis is in emergency negotiations with the JFF - Jamaican Football Federation. Clovis was contacted by Capitao Burrell with urgent demands for his services. According to our sources, the Jamaican Capito said that no price is too small, and expresses confidence that Clovis is the man for the job. Clovis has denied our requests for an interview but reportedly demonstrates a strong interest in the job. "I have unfinished business in Jamaica", he said.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
Jamaica money run out, so dey just use de cut arse as ah excuse tuh fire Simones.Ah hear dey did offer him 10 pound ah hard ting instead and he refuse, so dey fire he arse.Latest news coming outta jamdown is reggaefaggot,lionpussy and jamette2009 fighting for de wuk. :devil: :devil: 
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 04:43:06 PM »
That group was always going to be tough and the schedule didn't help. We seem to forget that Honduras is a very good team and Mexico is Mexico. I kinda disappointed Jamaica going out.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
That group was always going to be tough and the schedule didn't help. We seem to forget that Honduras is a very good team and Mexico is Mexico. I kinda disappointed Jamaica going out.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i like d signature  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Jamaica money run out, so dey just use de cut arse as ah excuse tuh fire Simones.Ah hear dey did offer him 10 pound ah hard ting instead and he refuse, so dey fire he arse.Latest news coming outta jamdown is reggaefaggot,lionpussy and jamette2009 fighting for de wuk. :devil: :devil: 

Simoes salary is paid in part by the Jamaica government (US$500K per year). Fact of the matter is for the money Simoes and his staff getting, much much more was expected of him. His tag line in the media in recnt times have been "The best players are not always the right players", which when you think of it, makes absolutely no sense.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Firing of simoes was not a good move by Jamaica. Jamaica still have 3 home games and Simoes have never lost a qualifier or I think a game at the Office, correct me if am wrong .But at least the firing of him will cause de new TD to pick the best available players for the squad. If anyone was suppose to get fired is Maturana..  3 away games by de reggaeboyz 1 point is not dat bad I think especially when you playing Honduras and mexico. Against Canada de boyz should have gone wid full force and collect 3 points instaed of playing for 1 point.. Lets see what clovas or whoever can do with the team. I do still expect to see a full stadium in Kingston .
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

Simoes salary is paid in part by the Jamaica government (US$500K per year). Fact of the matter is for the money Simoes and his staff getting, much much more was expected of him. His tag line in the media in recnt times have been "The best players are not always the right players", which when you think of it, makes absolutely no sense.
Sounds like he would do well by the TTFF hierarchy

Offline TTVillafan

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
had to do research, yes they did, 2-1 on 22/2/05 in barbados

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
Could any one tell me how many Coaches Jamaica change/fired since after qualifying for the WC?can any one tell me how good the level of their Football is (teams/league)?they have more foreign based players than us,what i'm trying to say is,what's the problem?why everybody's problem is with the Coach?imagine they run Bora,who else they will run.   

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »
Coops,
         Your guess is good as mine. The situation is this. Everybody wants goods results. We they pay a coach top dollars, they want top results. Or else fire the coach and/or drop players. That is the nature of the game.

Sometimes losing is not the issue, but how you lose. Yesterday, our team look listless most of the time. Coops in your days, all yuh would ah run the US to death. These guys look clueless. These guys are pros. They not working in the port, etc.

What kind of motivation did the staff give the team before stepping on the field. Almost all the games against the US, our teams always play like the psychologically shattered.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 08:00:54 PM »
Could any one tell me how many Coaches Jamaica change/fired since after qualifying for the WC?can any one tell me how good the level of their Football is (teams/league)?they have more foreign based players than us,what i'm trying to say is,what's the problem?why everybody's problem is with the Coach?imagine they run Bora,who else they will run.   

Simoes got fired because of his selection policy. you dont pay a man a salary of US$50K per month to have us finish bottom of the pile. Simoes is reportedly the 3rd best paid coach in CONCACAF behind Mexico and the USA. To whome much is given, much is expected.

It makes no sense you call a strong squad for the Bahamas, then turn around and discard half of them for the tougher games.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »
Coops,
         Your guess is good as mine. The situation is this. Everybody wants goods results. We they pay a coach top dollars, they want top results. Or else fire the coach and/or drop players. That is the nature of the game.

Sometimes losing is not the issue, but how you lose. Yesterday, our team look listless most of the time. Coops in your days, all yuh would ah run the US to death. These guys look clueless. These guys are pros. They not working in the port, etc.

What kind of motivation did the staff give the team before stepping on the field. Almost all the games against the US, our teams always play like the psychologically shattered.
     Breds i've been reading a lot of posts since after this game but this one makes me feel good,i realize and understand the issues/problems this team has and everybody talks about it because it's so obvious,i does just try to ease peoples frustration with something positive but i usually get licks for it.I could put forward posts on the problems/issues i observe in the game but look at how many post it have on that,i know T&T Football and not much has changed,the same problems we had yesterday is the problems we have today,after every game is the same things people saying,look at those articles by Shaka and Lincoln people saying is politics,those are two our most experienced Football ambassadors and some think they don't know what they talking about,those are two well written articles.    

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
Dem hard Bora u tink we could get he
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Ask Bibi Gardner if he going to make a tune about Simoes too :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Update on de neighbours ...
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2008, 07:28:14 AM »
BOOTED - Captain fires Simoes for poor performance
published: Friday | September 12, 2008

Audley Boyd, Assistant Sport Editor

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss Captain Horace Burrell, has listed poor results as the reason for his decision to fire his friend technical director René Simoes in the wee hours of yesterday morning.

The other Brazilians brought here recently by Simoes were also fired in the move that shocked fans after the national squad's 2-0 defeat in a World Cup qualifier against Honduras Wednesday night.

They are Alfredo Montesso, Chico Santos, Walter Gama and his son, Luciano.

Along with Simoes, who earned US$600,000 annually, their total salary package exceeded US$1-million yearly.

The loss to Honduras was in a crucial CONCACAF Group Two semi-final round match played in San Pedro Sula.

Qualifying chances jeopardised

It was Jamaica's second loss in five days, following a 0-3 defeat to Mexico at the Azteca on Saturday. Both results, along with a 1-1 draw against Canada, have jeopardised Jamaica's qualifying chances because, with half the six-game schedule complete, they are lying at the bottom of the standings with one point.

Only two countries from the group will advance to the six-nation CONCACAF Finals.

Mexico lead with maximum nine points after winning their three fixtures, while Honduras are a clear second on six.

"It is results which count and therefore - we're very good friends, Professor Simoes is like my brother - but I have a job to do and I have to put all of that aside, not think with my heart, but with my head," Burrell told local media at the San Pedro Sula Airport in Honduras near 7 a.m. yesterday.

Burrell

He added: "I told him that it was painful, but that I had to take the decision because it's my responsibility and therefore at 0100 hours this morning (Thursday), in the presence of Horace Reid, coach Simoes was fired."

That meeting took place inside Burrell's room at the Hilton Princess Hotel in Honduras, where the team was based.

"I, in fact, fired him at that time," Burrell said in an impromptu press conference in the airport hallway after he had emerged from a very brief and hastily arranged meeting with members of the JFF coaching and technical staff, as well as all 18 players in the national senior squad.

"It's unfortunate, it's not something that I really wanted to do but Jamaica's football programme is bigger than any individual and certainly the decision, I thought, was the correct one," noted Burrell.

He expects to name a replacement for Simoes within a week.

Difficult to describe

The decision also ends Simoes' second tour of duty here.

"It's difficult to describe the feeling, first because you have a dream and in your dream is to make people feel happy, enjoy and feel great as they did before," Simoes, who clearly had not expected such an eventuality, told journalists at the Miami International Airport in Florida.

"This time things didn't work exactly as we planned ... so he takes a decision, you've to respect it. He's in charge, that's it."

Prior to Simoes' return to Jamaican football, the affable Serbian-born Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic was JFF technical director. However, he was fired by Burrell for underperforming, making way for Simoes.

Now, the captain has done the once unthinkable and fired his friend
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Mixed views on Simoes' dismissal
published: Friday | September 12, 2008

THE JAMAICA Football Federation's (JFF) decision to sack national technical director René Simoes following Wednesday night's 2-0 loss to Honduras received mixed reactions from the island's football fraternity yesterday.

The defeat left the Jamaicans with only a slim mathematical chance of advancing to the next stage as they are at the bottom of the table in Group Two on one point with three matches left.

Mexico, who on Saturday defeated the Reggae Boyz 3-0, lead the group with nine points followed by Honduras with six and Canada, like Jamaica, have one.

Saddened

Rudolph Speid, the new president of Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA), said he was saddened by the sudden dismissal of the technical director.

"This is shocking and surprising due to the fact that it comes at a time when Jamaica still have a mathe-matical chance of qualifying for World Cup," said Speid, a former treasurer of the JFF.

"It is now going to be very difficult for the new coach to get the maximum nine points to qualify but we have to hope for the best," he said.

Clyde Jureidini, general manager of Harbour View, said it is was unfortunate but not a strange decision by the JFF.

"I think it is fairly normal that when the results are not gained ... and it is imminent that the team may not progress, then the coach or a technical director is relieved of his duties," Jureidini said. "We just have to move forward from here very quickly because we have another month before our next game, which is considered to be a do-or-die game for us."

Ali McNab, a former national coach, said: "This is what happens to coaches that don't deliver and (René) Simoes has not delivered this time around. The disappointment for me really began before his firing because we have produced a number of good players since the '98 campaign who were not selected for these qualifiers."

The decision to sack Simoes was also met with mixed reactions out west.

Anthony 'Follies' Williams, former coach of Wadadah, said: "Simoes should not have been brought back to Jamaica in the first place. We should have kept 'Bora' (Velibor Milutinovic). Simoes did all he could do for us back in 1998, so the only thing he could do for us this time around was fail."

Steve Bucknor, former FIFA referee and highly-rated Test cricket umpire, said: "The truth is that I don't know why he was fired. I would not have fired him for the result he got in the games against Mexico and Honduras. It is hard to say he was not doing a good job because he could be doing his best and it is the players who are not responding. Nonetheless, the Brazilian way is not our way."

Short-sightedness

Craig Oates, vice-president of the Hanover FA and vice-chairman of the JFF Western Confederation, said: "It was short-sightedness on the part of the JFF administration why Simoes was brought back here in the first place. In fact, in my opinion, he was brought here solely to help fill seats at the National Stadium. In going forward, the JFF needs to develop a comprehensive plan to revamp national football."

Paul 'Tegat' Davis, former national striker and top local coach, said: "The JFF feels that he was not getting the job done so, like most coaches who fail to deliver, he was fired. I believe he made some mistakes in terms of team selection but, in light of what he has done for us in the past, I believe we could have kept him until the end of the campaign - out of respect."
____________________________________________________________________________________________

BARBADOS

Yarde throws hat in BFA
Published on: 9/12/08.

by EZRA STUART

FORMER national junior and senior team manager Sherlock Yarde will definitely be running for the presidency of the Barbados Football Association (BFA) later this month.

Yarde, who has also masterminded the success of Claytons Kola Tonic Notre Dame in the last decade, told WEEKEND SPORT that several clubs and influential members of the football fraternity had asked him to run for the presidency.

Consequently, he could be challenging long-serving incumbent Ronald Jones for the top post at the upcoming BFA's elections on September 28.

Yarde said it was because of his "commitment, achievements, organisational skills and financial contributions to football over the years" that he was asked to run.

"After discussing it with very close friends and family, I have accepted the invitation to run," he said.

"The BFA has failed football in all areas and I think it is a conflict of interest for the president to be the Minister of Education and Human Resources and be the president of the BFA at the same time," Yarde charged.

He questioned the time and commitment which Jones gave to football and its management, as well as the effectiveness of the current BFA executive membership.

Yarde urged the football fraternity to keep political affiliation out of the election.

"You should not vote for Mr Jones because you support the Dems and vote against him because you are a Barbados Labour Party supporter.

"But you should vote out the present BFA executive for non-performance and administrative blunders that have curtailed any development in football. We cannot allow them to continue along this path to the detriment of football," he said.

The outspoken Yarde further contended that the current BFA executive didn't understand the significance of sport and what it could do for a country.

"They have failed to do the organisational planning and improvement of the infrastructure to help propel football to another level.

"Most of the BFA executive seem to be more concerned with what they can get from football than what they can do to help football," he suggested.

Yarde claimed that during the last decade when Jones was in charge of football, there had been little or no progress at all.

"Football has gone from playing at the National Stadium and Carlton to playing at the YMCA, Bridgefield and Weymouth "B".

"National teams still have problems with stipends, training gear and off-the-field gear when taking part in international tournaments and a host of other problems from the past are still in existence," Yarde remarked.

"I therefore challenge the football fraternity to tell me any positive thing the president and his executive council have done over that ten-year period."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GUYANA - Stabroek News

What does the GFF have to show for development
BY Staff

Dear Editor,
Lawrence Griffith’s letter captioned ‘Sport in Guyana is not going anywhere’ published in SN 3.9.08, despite highlighting a few positives in reality should be confined to the national archives, along with those of his mindset, to gather dust.

The individual whose association/involvement with sports approaches two decades has avoided football and its under-development. Football, the world’s most popular, passionate and emotional sport is quite the opposite when it comes to administration in Guyana, which is probably the only country in the world that retains its technical and managerial staff after a string of failures at the international level.

‘One must not sport with sports,’ since in today’s world it’s serious business; neither should it be politicized − Griffith’s choice of words to an extent. But isn’t it politicization that over the years has left a few persons with a vast knowledge and love for football out in the cold, preventing them from making a meaningful contribution to development because of their outspokenness? Isn’t it sporting with sports not to have allowed the Guyana Football Federation, from constructing its training facility under the FIFA Goal Project, to the tune of US$700,000 for well over five years? Some countries in the region have gone on to phase two, constructing a facility with an artificial turf. Isn’t it sporting with sports for the powers-that-be in Trinidad, to summon the GFF within 48 hours for an international friendly at the senior level, while the Guyanese, who represent Tobago United in the T&TFF Pro League cannot be released to represent their country? Are these the types of arrangement the GFF makes? The end result was 3-0 in favour of Trinidad & Tobago! Mr Editor, I can go on, but time and space will not permit me. However, as a timely reminder to Lawrence, the GFF of all the national association federations receives the largest grant, not nationally, but from its parent body, FIFA. And what have they to show for development? The annual subvention of $50M may be much more than what all the national associations combined receive, but look at badminton and squash, devoid of paying spectatorship unlike football, and compare the progress made. Finally, while I would agree that occasional grants and tax exemptions will not develop sport, nevertheless it remains incumbent upon the government to develop a multipurpose training facility which would cater for all the national sporting disciplines, and which would be provided with state-of-the-art equipment, dormitories, classrooms, kitchens, medical facilities, etc, in addition to a well trained-staff to ensure maximum use. It could also cater for the development of Olympics sports, such as kayaking, in which our Amerindian brothers and sisters can excel, if given the opportunity.
Yours faithfully,
Maurice Cato
____________________________________________________________________________________________

ANTIGUA

Antigua will face top guns in under-20 grouping

Friday September 12 2008
by Neto Baptiste

The second round grouping in the Caribbean Football Union’s men’s under-20 qualifiers have placed Antigua in Group H of the tournament where they will face two of the region’s top hitters, Jamaica and Aruba.

Round two, which is slated to kick-off in November, will see Group H battle from 16-21 Nov., in Aruba where Antigua will take on the host in their opening contest on 18 Nov., at the Guillermo P. Stadium at 8 p.m. Two days later on 20 Nov., Antigua will tackle Jamaica at the Trinidad Stadium also at 8 p.m.

Head coach of the national under-20 team, George “Cajawawa” Warner, said that a number of his key players are currently nursing injuries or are not on island but says preparations have been going well and is looking forward to playing against the likes of Jamaica and Aruba.

“Molvin James, who is the number one goalkeeper, picked up an ankle injury and has also twisted his knee so he is currently nursing that so he is not really at 100 per cent – he is maybe at 70 per cent while Stephan Smith is nursing a toe injury also so we are just trying to get ourselves ready,” he said.

“We have three players who are also overseas at this moment in Kevon Browne who is overseas in high-school in New Jersey along with J. Thomas who is in college and Jon Mussington who is in England undergoing a stint with a club team,” he added.

Warner, who has been one of the country’s most successful youth coach for many years now went on to state that the task ahead is a tough one but relishes playing against the big guns.

“Well I think that it’s the first time for us, in entering a second round that CONCACAF has placed us in a group with another team who also finished at the top of their group but however we are still here training twice per week and try to put a game together on the weekends to keep the players jelled,” he said.

“We will meet them (Jamaica) on neutral ground this time because over the years they beat up on us and the last time we played them at the Antigua Recreation Grounds when I was the head coach under Walter Gamma they beat us 1-0 and I have always had that game on my mind. There are also some players who played that match who are now on the team and are hoping to get a shot at them again,” Warner told the Antigua Sun.

Antigua finished at the top of their group in round one of the competition winning all three of their encounters and will be looking to build on their efforts going into the November leg of the contest.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

ST VINCENT

SVGFF wants a move on Ministries’ bureaucracy

The Executive of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation (SVGFF) has launched the community arm of its Youth Football Development Programme, but the start date of the school based component is being stalled because of an apparent lack of synergy between the Ministry of Sports and the Ministry of Education. (remainder of story inaccesible)

+++

ST KITTS

Federation to host three Digicel Caribbean Championship matches

Thursday September 11 2008
by Saju Ng’alla

President of the St. Kitts/Nevis Football Association, Peter Jenkins, announced that St. Kitts will be hosting three matches, in stage one of the Digicel Caribbean Championships during the Federation’s Independence celebrations.

Jenkins said regional matches to be held at Warner Park Stadium will highlight some of the Caribbean’s best football teams, especially when the St. Kitts national team takes on the BVI and Barbados national teams.

“The St. Kitts/Nevis National Senior Team will play against Barbados and BVI in Group D of the first stage of the Digicel Championships. Our team has been training for the matches and we expect them to do very well,” Jenkins said.

The first match will take place on 24 Sept., when St. Kitts/Nevis takes on the BVI. Then on 26 Sept., the BVI will go up against Barbados. On 28 Sept., under the big lights of the Warner Park Stadium, St. Kitts will battle Barbados. All matches will be played at the Warner Park Stadium at 7 p.m. nightly.

Jenkins explained that if successful, the St. Kitts/Nevis team will move onto the next stage of the tournament to be played in Guadeloupe in October, between the winner of Groups C and D and the runner-up of Group B.

He also commented on the timely nature of the games being played in St. Kitts during the Federation’s 25th Silver Jubilee Independence anniversary.

“We think it’s fitting that the matches are taking place during the Independence season and the SKNFA is encouraging the nation to turn out and support our national football team. We are also definitely excited to see the new look of the team,” Jenkins said.

The SKNFA president said that patrons at the games will “be in for some excitement” including the Kick for Cash during each half-time where one lucky patron can win $1,000.

He said other promotions and giveaways as well as ticket prices will be announced in the very near future.
“We will make sure the games are affordable so that fans can attend all three matches and bring along their kids but prices will also be in keeping with international games standards. "We have a lot in store for patrons including a party stand and special prizes for the football fans.”
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:31:02 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>