April 20, 2024, 06:01:08 AM

Author Topic: Ex-TT footballers support Maturana.  (Read 6844 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ex-TT footballers support Maturana.
« on: September 14, 2008, 06:53:36 AM »
By Walter Alibey (Newsday).

Trinidad and Tobago footballers will have to go back to the drawing board if the “Soca Warriors” are to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

This was the advice of former national footballers Ulric “Buggy” Haynes and Angus Eve as well as former national team manager Richard Braithwaite.

They remain optimistic following Trinidad and Tobago’s disastrous performance where they were beaten 3-0 by the USA in their CONCACAF semi-final round qualifiers in Chicago on Wednesday night.

They gave their support to national coach, former Colombian international Francisco Maturana to stay at the helm of the team. Trinidad and Tobago have four points from three matches following a convincing 3-1 win over Cuba in Havana and a point from a disappointing 1-1 tie with Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo two Wednesdays ago.

But Haynes made it clear the coach cannot be blamed for the performance of the team. “He is not the one that plays the football,” said Haynes, a former national stand-out said but he criticised the players for playing without heart.

“The defenders and midfielders were in disarray in the game. They lacked confidence to go forward when they needed too and then tackle when it was called for,” claimed Haynes in a telephone interview on Friday. The former national captain in the 1960s and 70s also criticised the players for poor marking and allowing the Americans to play freely throughout the match.

“We lost the game because we expected instrumental midfielder Dwight Yorke to be in the game but he was not there. His absence unfortunately left noone to command the middle,” Haynes said.

Meanwhile Eve, said that he is not blaming the coach for the loss.

“The real reason why we have not defeated the US in the past, because the players do not believe that they can do it,” Eve said.

But he was quick to add that the Colombian, while utilising the right format of play, used the wrong tactics.

“I think the coach took a decision to defend too deep into his defensive part of the field. It was clear the team took a defensive approach. Even when the Americans scored their first goal, the Trinidad and Tobago team never reacted and didn’t even try to attack,” Eve told Newsday on Friday.

He expressed the view that there are a few players in his mind who should be given a chance to make the team, among them Trent Noel who has been having an excellent season in the TT Pro League with CL Financial Jabloteh, and Kerry Baptiste.

Meanwhile Braithwaite who was also a member on the FIFA Technical Committee described the tactics as “puzzling” but said he sympathises with Maturana.

“As soon as the last World Cup campaign ended we should have started immediately and that is where all the experimentation with players should have taken place,” said Braithwaite.

“Instead there was squabbling with some of the key players and a very important period was lost. As a result the coach is now experimenting in the middle of the actual competition and that is a dangerous thing to do,” Braithwaite said.

However he said TT can still qualify if they do not panic and plan and execute their strategy properly.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-TT footballers support Maturana.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »
"support" isn't the word I go use to describe these comments.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:09:36 AM »

They gave their support to national coach, former Colombian international Francisco Maturana to stay at the helm of the team. Trinidad and Tobago have four points from three matches following a convincing 3-1 win over Cuba in Havana and a point from a disappointing 1-1 tie with Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo two Wednesdays ago.

dem wha some lash....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Warner, Maturana and Corneal are AssClowns 1, 2 & 3. We should contact the Ringling Bros. to tell them we've found the escaped clowns.

I real tired of the TTFF and T&T football, it not worth the stress. Clowns all over the place and we, the fans, suffering.

Whether it is Jack or Maturana, whoever selecting the squad is screwing us and T&T football.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:33:06 AM by BigToe »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
made it clear the coach cannot be blamed for the performance of the team. “He is not the one that plays the football,” said Haynes, a former national stand-out said but he criticised the players for playing without heart.

“The defenders and midfielders were in disarray in the game. They lacked confidence to go forward when they needed too and then tackle when it was called for,” claimed Haynes in a telephone interview on Friday. The former national captain in the 1960s and 70s also criticised the players for poor marking and allowing the Americans to play freely throughout the match.
we will ALL agree that the players on the field did not play as well as we would have liked them to,
so my question to these guys is,
why dont you question JACT (Jack Ass Clown Troupe, AKA TTFF) about why some players were left out of the selection process....I would like to see them address that point.

Meanwhile Braithwaite who was also a member on the FIFA Technical Committee described the tactics as “puzzling” but said he sympathises with Maturana.

“As soon as the last World Cup campaign ended we should have started immediately and that is where all the experimentation with players should have taken place,” said Braithwaite.

“Instead there was squabbling with some of the key players and a very important period was lost. As a result the coach is now experimenting in the middle of the actual competition and that is a dangerous thing to do,” Braithwaite said.

However he said TT can still qualify if they do not panic and plan and execute their strategy properly.
more discussion is warranted on this observation.

also some sort of feed back about how meek Mats was at the sidelines....maybe JACT knew that this game was lost before hand and we just went through the paces in ChiTown
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:22:15 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:05:43 AM »

But Haynes made it clear the coach cannot be blamed for the performance of the team. “He is not the one that plays the football,” said Haynes, a former national stand-out said but he criticised the players for playing without heart.

“We lost the game because we expected instrumental midfielder Dwight Yorke to be in the game but he was not there. His absence unfortunately left noone to command the middle,” Haynes said.

It would be interesting to learn what 'Buggy' considers to be the role of a coach!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »

I FISHS SUPPORT MATURANA. Put dat in allyuh pipe an smoke it.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »

That is for you and your therapist to work out privately.

All these former stars talking a pack of arse. When you are about to play a game the coach come up with a plan to counter act the opponents. If the opponents are strong on the wing most likely the coach will work on forcing the play inside and vice versa. Look at how ready the USA was for us on the freekicks after seeing how poor we are on defending freekicks. The team may not do everything right, but one would be able to basically see what the team trying to do. Imagine Dempsey and all saying he couldn't understand why we were playing the way we were in giving them all that room.
The team started slowly, I would look at the coach and wonder why the team warm up was not consistent with the manner in which he (the coach) wanted them to play (at a high pace, closing down play quickly). If 1 or 4 players out of touch with the game, fine blame the players, but was the entire team out of wack. The Saturday before we played well showing that the players understood, and thus revealing the coach did a good job. Now that we were out of sort don't blame the coach, come on when will you blame him?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
Watch how that same TT team go buss up Guatemala and Cuba and make the Hex.When dat happen den allyuh could come back to me and say sorry for all the nasty comments bout de coach.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

good for you yes dred... he had my support but Pacho getting close tuh fack off time.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
Watch how that same TT team go buss up Guatemala and Cuba and make the Hex.When dat happen den allyuh could come back to me and say sorry for all the nasty comments bout de coach.

dat team that we play against the  USA would not beat guatemala.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 03:09:12 PM »
Dem have 2 reamain in JW good books dey lookin 4 wuk 2 coach some team. When I book meh flight 2 SA I go say thank u Maturana b4 dat u need 2 hit d road
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
Just a little note...Stern stayed on the bench to-day,QPR 4 Southampton 1.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »

I guess they will start him next game

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
Ah know yuh trying to take a lil dig again. But Southampton coach trying the same shit as Pacho. A team full of inexperienced youthmen (including teenagers) while experienced pros sitting on de bench or playing in de reserves. Dey second to last and getting licks all over de place. So we see how well that approach working out elsewhere.

In other words, yuh might want to stop bringing up Southampton and Stern if yuh trying to plead Maturana case.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:07:11 PM by Monkey Genius »

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
By Walter Alibey (Newsday).

Trinidad and Tobago footballers will have to go back to the drawing board if the “Soca Warriors” are to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

This was the advice of former national footballers Ulric “Buggy” Haynes and Angus Eve as well as former national team manager Richard Braithwaite.

They remain optimistic following Trinidad and Tobago’s disastrous performance where they were beaten 3-0 by the USA in their CONCACAF semi-final round qualifiers in Chicago on Wednesday night.

Meanwhile Eve, said that he is not blaming the coach for the loss.

“The real reason why we have not defeated the US in the past, because the players do not believe that they can do it,” Eve said.

But he was quick to add that the Colombian, while utilising the right format of play, used the wrong tactics.

“I think the coach took a decision to defend too deep into his defensive part of the field. It was clear the team took a defensive approach. Even when the Americans scored their first goal, the Trinidad and Tobago team never reacted and didn’t even try to attack,” Eve told Newsday on Friday.

He expressed the view that there are a few players in his mind who should be given a chance to make the team, among them Trent Noel who has been having an excellent season in the TT Pro League with CL Financial Jabloteh, and Kerry Baptiste.

How de hell them could support Maturana and then follow up saying de players lack confidence, who gives them confidence? Confidence comes from consistency, yuh cah build that when yuh have a a different lineup every game and wrong player selection.

Respect to Buggy, Eve and Braithwaite but they talking tata.

I Say So. >:( >:(
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »
support Maturana my ass. them players done so much for tnt all their lives.  All Maturana done is  beat Guyana and buy up all dem double from maharaj roti shop

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »

Glad to know is not only we does hire asshole coaches...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
I was all for the coach until his tactics against the US, not only did he exclude players who had the capability to salvage @ a draw, he also implented a nonsensical tactical strategy against the concacaf champs three yrs in ah row.

ah wonder what jack would say about this clown facking up his sponsorship money! jack do something please and stop fackin up de beautiful game in which is turning to the ugly game in T&T.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 08:05:31 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:28:13 PM »
I you want me to back my team to lose ,just to prove us rite   ::) ,jed I will let tuturana wha yall think- take we to the world cup if I though he could,we just know better.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 07:33:26 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »

I admire your optimism!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 07:43:43 PM »
Is not optimism is continuin 2 support ah coach after cussin d last one. Stand my your man is d theme 4 d Dumtist supporters. Anybody have a link of d song post it 4 dem
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:20 PM »
How you go say that you backing thee coach and say that the team lack “confidence” both Eve and Haynes  talking rubbish. Who’s responsibility is it to motivate a player or even the team? Right! Thee " clown coach", so right deh you can see them lost and talking wind. Who’s them anyway, them ever make any real impact in TnT football? Boi alyuh better go and sit down! No one cares what alyuh have to say. Bye Bye!
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
Eve is we most cap player dat being said he want a wuk 2 coach ah yute team so he have 2 remain in d good books of d clown. I guess dey blieve in intrinsic motivation so d coach eh have no part in it

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
Eve is we most cap player dat being said he want a wuk 2 coach ah yute team so he have 2 remain in d good books of d clown. I guess dey blieve in intrinsic motivation so d coach eh have no part in it

If you doing all that fuh ah job then ah hope he never get it, he's ah hypocrite and the truth is not in him. He ah lieyah and we doh want him training we youth teams.  :-[
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 08:21:15 PM »
Well it have nuff peeps willin 2 loose dey credibility 2 get a wuk LP d poster boi 4 dem peeps is LP. Gally doh bitter like aloes and does talk he nonesense because ah he local bias he eh sell out

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »

good for you yes dred... he had my support but Pacho getting close tuh fack off time.

He is the coach for better or for worse, I not jumping off a floundering ship, everybody have their own ideas about the selection policy etc but for now he is in charge.
The game against USA I would say is typical of TT football at this stage over the years " choke".
The best coachs we have had over the years were Beenie, Bertille and Gally. Beenie was the only one that escape the supporters wrath for obvious reasons.
I'll even go so far as to say if he succeeds with this selection policy he will have done TT football a world of good failure will leave us waiting for Brazil in 2014 and it is not like we unaccustomed to that.

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »

He is the coach for better or for worse, I not jumping off a floundering ship, everybody have their own ideas about the selection policy etc but for now he is in charge.
The game against USA I would say is typical of TT football at this stage over the years " choke".
The best coachs we have had over the years were Beenie, Bertille and Gally. Beenie was the only one that escape the supporters wrath for obvious reasons.
I'll even go so far as to say if he succeeds with this selection policy he will have done TT football a world of good failure will leave us waiting for Brazil in 2014 and it is not like we unaccustomed to that.

Dont think about it as that ,more think about it like mutiny on the the bounty and hes Bligh

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »

I am not going to join the chorus for him to be fired... I don't believe that to be any solution.  However that's still a far cry from saying that he has my support.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:45 AM »
I you want me to back my team to lose ,just to prove us rite   ::) ,jed I will let tuturana wha yall think- take we to the world cup if I though he could,we just know better.
Now write that in English for me please,I assume we still write in English in Trinidad,thanks.

1]; } ?>