March 28, 2024, 10:56:19 PM

Author Topic: Warner on warpath over Yorke's recall to Sunderland.  (Read 7650 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner on warpath over Yorke's recall to Sunderland.
« on: September 15, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »
Warner on warpath over Yorke's recall to Sunderland.
By: Kern De Freitas (Express).

NEVER AGAIN

It won't happen again.

That is the promise FIFA vice-president Jack Warner is making to Trinidad and Tobago after national captain Dwight Yorke missed T&T's CONCACAF World Cup qualifier away to the USA last Wednesday, having been recalled to English club Sunderland.

Warner has been involved in a war of words with Sunderland manager Roy Keane ever since and it has been reported that the former Manchester United midfielder responded by referring to both Warner and Yorke as "clowns".

Warner, the T&T Football Federation special adviser, described Keane as having a "mean streak", as well as being "callous" and "insensitive" to small countries like Trinidad and Tobago.

"Mr Keane was deliberately mischievous," Warner said yesterday during a press conference at the CONCACAF office in Port of Spain, called to object to the appointment of Israel Khan SC to the Commission of Inquiry into the Udecott affair.

"He (Keane) knew full well he wasn't going to play Dwight Yorke. He didn't even take him to Wigan," for Sunderland's Premiership match on Saturday, which ended in a 1-1 draw. Warner also slammed Keane for what he said was typical behaviour for the Irishman.

"He took [Yorke] from Trinidad knowing full well (that Yorke would not play) because that is the nature of Mr Keane. Mr Keane is the guy who broke a player's leg and said he did it deliberately. That's his claim to fame."

The CONCACAF head assured his audience that such a situation would not be repeated.

"...I am not surprised (by Keane's behaviour)... I'll tell you one thing, I'll tell you today it wouldn't happen again. If this country wants a player and the player wants to play, my colleagues and friends, the player will play. We gave in easily, possibly my fault, and we paid the price for it in the US (qualifier)."

Warner also pointed out that although advised by colleagues to take action over Keane's comments within FIFA, he would not do so due to concerns that the other T&T/Sunderland players-Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones-might be victimised as a result.

The Chaguanas West MP also blasted the Government for what he claimed was a lack of financial support for the "Soca Warriors", saying T&T will qualify for the South Africa 2010 World Cup in spite of it.

"I want to end by telling you that we will qualify for South Africa, even though we haven't received a nickel from the Government to date," he indicated. "...We shall still qualify. Don't let your heart be troubled."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:57:26 AM by Flex »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Re: More heat brewing between jack and keane!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:25:34 AM »
He just doesn't know when to shut up does he.

Dwight was never going to be involved at Wigan, I don't even think he was back at the club on Friday.

As I said before he is shifting the blame for poor performances and drawing away attention from where it should be.

I have learned in life what people say or think will happen in certain circumstances provides a great insight into how their minds personalities works, it has served me well in the people I find I can trust and not trust. 

This paragraph tells you all you need to know, not that you don't already know it, because thats what he would do in the situation.

""""Warner also pointed out that although advised by colleagues to take action over Keane's comments within FIFA, he would not do so due to concerns that the other T&T/Sunderland players-Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones-might be victimised as a result. """"

Dwight will have to come off the fence, although I don't think it matters much as he isn't going to be playing much. 

The club has no choice with Carlos & Kenwyn for official dates, if Carlos's form doesn't improve he will be moved on for footballing reasons anyway.

Following the rather convienient timings of this and Kenwyn's remarks, I doubt the club will get Kenwyn fit for the 4th October, indeed it is more likely the 18th or 25th the latter would be my guess. 

BTW how was the clown incident reported over there.

Edit

BTW this was in a Sunday paper

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/14/worldcup2010qualifiers.premierleague

Said & done

David Hills on Fifa vice president Jack Warner's past dealings with small countries and other quotes from the football world

Moral maze: man of the week

Fifa vice president Jack Warner: Says Roy Keane's decision to withdraw Dwight Yorke from Trinidad & Tobago's squad was 'callous disregard and disrespect for the rights of a small country'.

How should you deal with 'small' countries? Feb 2008: Warner attempts to forcibly dissolve Dominica's FA and install his friend Patrick John as their new president. John's credentials for the job: a 12-year jail sentence for leading a failed coup plot against the Dominican government in 1981, backed by Ku Klux Klan leaders; US agents arrested them in possession of automatic weapons, dynamite and Nazi flags. John also had 14 years as head of Dominica's FA, before being deposed in 2006 accused of 'rank poor performance'. 'Warner's behaviour was illegal and disrespectful,' said a Dominican FA spokesman. 'He tried to bully us in our small country.'
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:52:57 AM by kev »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:34:05 AM »

well look at that, it seems like you and Jack both have something in common.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner on warpath over Yorke's recall to Sunderland.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:47:38 AM »
Awrite,so he just doesn't know when to shut up but he is correct about Keene in everything that he said.What Keene did was victimization at the highest level and if TT does not get to the Hex ,we can safely say that it was Keene's action that caused it.You just have to read Cyd Gray's comment about how they felt without their father figure,surely Dwight would have picked them up after that sloppy first goal.In the second half we competed equally,I am left wondering the difference Dwight would have made,if its anyone with small man syndrome its Roy Keene who is always looking for a fight...since his footballing days.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »
"...I am not surprised (by Keane's behaviour)... I'll tell you one thing, I'll tell you today it wouldn't happen again. If this country wants a player and the player wants to play, my colleagues and friends, the player will play. We gave in easily, possibly my fault, and we paid the price for it in the US (qualifier)."

I agree with Jack here, Keane cost us a guaranteed 3 points against the US last week

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:55:01 AM »

I agree with Jack here, Keane cost us a guaranteed 3 points against the US last week
Dwight would have gotten us at least 4.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:56:38 AM by Monkey Genius »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 06:00:22 AM »

well look at that, it seems like you and Jack both have something in common.

now now behave ;)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 06:10:50 AM »

Dwight would have gotten us at least 4.
:devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 06:46:46 AM »
Regardless of what Kev (and most of us on the forum) may think of Warner as an individual or even if we would have won against the US with Yorke , how can he deny that Keane's action looks nothing more than underhanded. You call a player back and then don't play him. Kev says Keane was never gonna play him.....then why call him back??? I could even let it lie if yorke was an unused sub, but If there was no intention to play him last weekend...even if he was carrying an injury, yorke is now a bit-part player at best (kev said so himself) so why the big deal about calling him back, he still would have been back for the following game regardless. They were saying on Sky and the Beeb just after Yorke said he was being recalled that the TTFF have a good relationship with Sunderland, well it seems pretty oneway to me. Yorke should have gone to Reading when he had the chance, ah hope Sunderland paying him a lot of cash. Though difficult, I resist the desire to justifiably abuse Keane as he was a good servant to Forest.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 07:13:43 AM »
As much as i understand Keane and his argument, and as much as i understand that we might have still lost the game with Dwight in the squad against USA, the fact that Keane called him back knowing fully well that he was not playing against Wigan on saturday is really bad.

As someone said in a previous post, i would have understand if he had him as an unused sub or someting, but to just call him back for calling him sake because you "think" that he should not play 2 games in 5 days as a 36 year old is poor.

I think the Swansea manager has more of an argument for Jason Scotland's case than Keane!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 07:20:08 AM »
From my understanding... and I could be wrong so ah bracing for cyber bottle...

Keane and Yorke had an agreement... Keane didn't believe Yorke should be playing two games in a week so soon after injury at his age as it may jeopardize his recovery efforts... He has said as much...

However Yorke being as Mr.Thusty heself... figure he feeling fit and fine to battle with the US.. he want to go thru... Keane say backside... haul yuh arse back to Sunderland... whey yuh feel it is?

and dat is how all de bacchanal start...

???

well ah see andre samuel say de same ting... I think it all come down to de agreement... I feel Yorke damn well know he was never gone play against de US... and try ah smartman ting... who knows ???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:22:02 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »
Rodney, I don't think it had anything to do with Sunderland needing him.

Its a guess but I think it had more to do with,

What was agreed when he signed for another year and how Keane justified that to the owners given Dwight's age.  

Dwight hadn't been playing because of injury, he was also carrying a slight injury and it was the 2nd game in a short space of time.  If he had of played and agrevated the injury and was ruled out for any length of time, Keane would of had a lot of explaining to do, especially if he was needed and was unavailable.

The only ones that know the truth are Dwight and Keane.

I can understand it from Keane's perspective if that was part of his contract extension dicussions and if it was Dwight shouldn't of agreed to it if he still wanted to turn out for T&T.  The fact that Sunderland won't use him a lot this season unless there is a lot of injuries was probably known when the extension was agreed.  

If it wasn't discussed when he got another year then Keane has nothing to complain about, the only excuse he could have for pulling him out is that he wasn't a 100% fit, which he is entitled to do.  

Unless you believe Warner has suddenly become a forgiving born again christian, the fact that no official complaint and retribution was sought suggests that all the facts around it aren't in the public domain and its not as cut and dried as its being painted.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
All those who say that T&T would have won against the USA if Yorke had played clearly don't know what they're talking about...

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:11 AM »
As much as i understand Keane and his argument, and as much as i understand that we might have still lost the game with Dwight in the squad against USA, the fact that Keane called him back knowing fully well that he was not playing against Wigan on saturday is really bad.

As someone said in a previous post, i would have understand if he had him as an unused sub or someting, but to just call him back for calling him sake because you "think" that he should not play 2 games in 5 days as a 36 year old is poor.

I think the Swansea manager has more of an argument for Jason Scotland's case than Keane!!

ah love it!!
Sunderland had injury problems. Dean Whitehead wasn't sure to play because of a hip injury and Tainio was coming off an injury himself. The only other player they have for that holding position is Dwight (they sold Etuhu and Leadbitter ain't ready). So I think Dwight was needed around and uninjured, just in case Whitehead or Tainio or both couldn't play. They both passed their fitness tests, they both played, Dwight got left out.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »
I promise you that "guy" will never do it again! Capheish!

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »
Maybe I missing something, but I thought that FIFA have a rule where clubs have to make men available for international duty if they get call up.

With that in mind, how come Jack & TTFF didn't invoke that to make Yorke available for the US game?

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »
Maybe I missing something, but I thought that FIFA have a rule where clubs have to make men available for international duty if they get call up.

With that in mind, how come Jack & TTFF didn't invoke that to make Yorke available for the US game?

because Dwight did not want tuh jeapordise his future with Sunderland

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
All those who say that T&T would have won against the USA if Yorke had played clearly don't know what they're talking about...

you crazy?  Have you ever seen a Yorke, Leon, Telesford midfield combo?  deadly

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 08:08:15 AM »

Deadly? against who?  100+ ranked teams.  like guyana and cuba

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 08:11:15 AM »

And those like you who waste their time responding to such people, clearly have no sense of humor.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline BlackCat

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 08:16:04 AM »
Warner also pointed out that although advised by colleagues to take action over Keane's comments within FIFA, he would not do so due to concerns that the other T&T/Sunderland players-Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones-might be victimised as a result.

Ah ha ha what a load of crap.  What could he do? - enforce a 3 match ban from the dugout for calling him a clown.  I think Waner just can't take being belittled in public.  Like someone said earlier - he's used to all his yes men around him.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »

Arrow, like your flight hitting people in day funny bone today ;D
maybe NOT as some of the replies real serious  :D :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:25:56 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »

And those like you who waste their time responding to such people, clearly have no sense of humor.

Yeah well, sarcasm is difficult to detect on this forum...especially when you're used to reading stupid statement after stupid statement...

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »
Rodney, I don't think it had anything to do with Sunderland needing him.

Its a guess but I think it had more to do with,

What was agreed when he signed for another year and how Keane justified that to the owners given Dwight's age.  

Dwight hadn't been playing because of injury, he was also carrying a slight injury and it was the 2nd game in a short space of time.  If he had of played and agrevated the injury and was ruled out for any length of time, Keane would of had a lot of explaining to do, especially if he was needed and was unavailable.

The only ones that know the truth are Dwight and Keane.

I can understand it from Keane's perspective if that was part of his contract extension dicussions and if it was Dwight shouldn't of agreed to it if he still wanted to turn out for T&T.  The fact that Sunderland won't use him a lot this season unless there is a lot of injuries was probably known when the extension was agreed.  

If it wasn't discussed when he got another year then Keane has nothing to complain about, the only excuse he could have for pulling him out is that he wasn't a 100% fit, which he is entitled to do.  

Unless you believe Warner has suddenly become a forgiving born again christian, the fact that no official complaint and retribution was sought suggests that all the facts around it aren't in the public domain and its not as cut and dried as its being painted.

Correct, also add in the fact TTFF already show that they have no regard for any of his players coming off injuries in the recent past.  They did it with Carlos after the break leg, they do it the other day with Jones and now again with Yorke.  Imagine yuh main million dollar player, KJ, get injured re-injured when he played for country against England in June, even before he was fully fit.  That cost him big leading up to the start of the season.  KJ done miss nuff games already...and already talking about coming back in the mix in time for the Guatemala clash.  Yuh really cyah fault Keane too much for looking after the club's interest in this case.  Take into consideration too that...according to Keane...TTFF not paying players insurance and the club picking up the medical tabs.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »

The Chaguanas West MP also blasted the Government for what he claimed was a lack of financial support for the "Soca Warriors", saying T&T will qualify for the South Africa 2010 World Cup in spite of it.

"I want to end by telling you that we will qualify for South Africa, even though we haven't received a nickel from the Government to date," he indicated. "...We shall still qualify. Don't let your heart be troubled."

He promised to turn over the accounting in 'August-Sep timeframe'. We are now half way through September.
Did he forget?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 08:46:33 AM »

Yeah well, sarcasm is difficult to detect on this forum...especially when you're used to reading stupid statement after stupid statement...

The Venerable One:
Take a deep breath and laugh a little.  Is another day man.  It may be stupid to you but it is just another opinion. And if you can't enjoy a few sarcastic comments then try some cascadura. :D :D :D :D
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline BlackCat

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
Imagine yuh main million dollar player, KJ, get injured re-injured when he played for country against England in June, even before he was fully fit.

I can foresee problems with super Kenwyne Jones to be fair.  I just hope they don't do it just to spite Keane.

P.S.  ...and a special mention to the plank of a goalkeeper Calamety James.  What an arse head!

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »

He promised to turn over the accounting in 'August-Sep timeframe'. We are now half way through September.
Did he forget?

Eman I see you are never detered from the facts. ;D
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
Which other premier league team have T&T ballers on it? Long time I eh follow the prem, so someone in the know enlighten please nah.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »
Awrite,so he just doesn't know when to shut up but he is correct about Keene in everything that he said.What Keene did was victimization at the highest level and if TT does not get to the Hex ,we can safely say that it was Keene's action that caused it.You just have to read Cyd Gray's comment about how they felt without their father figure,surely Dwight would have picked them up after that sloppy first goal.In the second half we competed equally,I am left wondering the difference Dwight would have made,if its anyone with small man syndrome its Roy Keene who is always looking for a fight...since his footballing days.

you sir..are delusional

1]; } ?>