June 15, 2024, 04:37:23 PM

Author Topic: Villareal vs Manchester United  (Read 5789 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Villareal vs Manchester United
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »
Squad for Champions League clash with Manchester United
Villarreal’s coach, Manuel Pellegrini, has selected 20 players to be at Old Trafford
Manuel Pellegrini has named his squad for Villarreal's open up at Champions League against Manchester United, to be played on Wednesday at 20:45 (Spain hour) at Old Trafford Stadium.

The 20 players selected are (two will be finally out of list):

Goalkeepers: Diego Lopez and Viera.
Defenders: Javi Venta, Gonzalo, Godin, Cygan, Ángel, Capdevila and Fuentes.
Midfielders: Marcos Senna, Edmilson, Eguren, Pires, Santi Cazorla, Mati Fernández, Ibagaza, Bruno and Cani..
Forwards: Guille Franco and Llorente.

On the other side, Giuseppe Rossi and Nihat Kahveci are still recovering from injury and Jozy Altidore is not registered at UEFA for the Stages Group.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Villareal vs Manchester United
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
All yuh know I up for this one ! Not a bad start to the season with a draw and a win in two games. Injuries will hurt Villareal more than the " fat " teams though . We shall see ...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:53:11 PM »
Injuries will hurt Villareal more than the " fat " teams though .

Tekkin in front eh?  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:56:16 PM »
Injuries will hurt Villareal more than the " fat " teams though .

Tekkin in front eh?  ;D
since when have I had to do that Palos ? The yellow submarine is one of the few unbeaten teams in La liga so far this season ..unlike some of the other big guns. I have however learnt from my lesson with Daryl Brown that I should say " injuries not being a factor " ...dais all !
Senna , the man united reject,  is still controlling the middle and the battle with Scoles is sure to keep football fans happy. Watch for Mati Hernandez ..the young Chilean star is in good form even this early. We reach !!! When a player can turn down barca for Villareal ..we reach !!! ( Santi cazorla )
Wha happen to yuh Sevilla side ? ah even see yuh mention they name once in a long time ?
villareal is ah young side .... we could go wid dis team for four years at least...
United will well remember when they failed to get out of their group while Villareal won the group the last time they were bracketed together.
I woudda like to see nicklas Anelka in our colours but Scolari grab him up ...dat man smart.
Wednesday it is then ...round one !

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »

On the other side, Giuseppe Rossi and Nihat Kahveci are still recovering from injury and Jozy Altidore is not registered at UEFA for the Stages Group.

Lucky for Man Utd!
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:23:09 AM »
Ronaldo and Manucho will be on the bench according to Sky.

Manucho has recovered from his metatarsal injury and Ronaldo is expected to figure at some point.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »

Manucho has recovered from his metatarsal injury and Ronaldo is expected to figure at some point.

yep i'm eager to see Manucho...he was class in the African Nations Cup

And having CR7 back is always beneficial

Carrick out though...and Scholes through Suspension... so Anderson partnered by most likely Hargreaves or if not Fletcher

I'm hoping Nani has a big game...he needs too..  And the headache selection upfront...I'll go with Tevez and Berba...  give Rooney a break and let him come on with CR7  eventually  ;D  talk about bench quality

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 07:36:35 AM »

Cant wait to see Manucho play, he will surprise alot of people could even turn out to be better than Berbs. Time will tell.

As for Ronaldo, i've been practising my booing just for him.

As for the game, C'mon UNITED lets start this year like we did last, full points.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

giggsy11

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »

Carrick out though...and Scholes through Suspension... so Anderson partnered by most likely Hargreaves or if not Fletcher

I'm hoping Nani has a big game...he needs too..  And the headache selection upfront...I'll go with Tevez and Berba...  give Rooney a break and let him come on with CR7  eventually  ;D  talk about bench quality

Berba may be a no go, niggling knee according to Lord Wrigley. Evra out, concussion.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Berba may be a no go, niggling knee according to Lord Wrigley. Evra out, concussion.

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo will play some part in Wednesday's Champions League clash with Villarreal, but Michael Carrick is definitely out and Dimitar Berbatov is a doubt for the Group E tie.

Ronaldo's rapid recovery from ankle surgery will see him involved in the squad for the first time this season, with the winger likely to be handed a spot on the bench.

“Cristiano will certainly be involved,” Sir Alex said at his pre-match press conference. “Whether we start him or not, irrespective of other players’ injuries, is still a major decision. I think it’s more likely that he will start on the bench."

The diagnosis of Carrick's injury is less favourable. A medical examination on Sunday showed the midfielder suffered a small crack in his right foot whilst going in for a tackle at Anfield. He could now miss up to six weeks of football.

“Michael's injury hasn't turned out well for us," confirmed Sir Alex. "He’ll be out for four to six weeks, which isn't good news. We have some other injury concerns ahead of the Villarreal game. Berbatov is very doubtful. He got a knee injury on Saturday. He came off for treatment and then played on, but there has been some swelling. We’ll work hard on that, but we may not have enough time.

“There were one or two other bumps and bruises from Saturday. Wes Brown got a knee injury and Patrice Evra felt sick during the game, but they should both be OK."

Fortunately, Sir Alex feels that he has plenty of options to cope. "It’s an important game with it being the start of our Champions League campaign," he said. "We have some injuries but we have a strong squad so we should be all right in terms of putting out a good team."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »
big up the yellow submarine...

Berbatov injured already? like that brand new porsche they buy get a scratch.. lol

Jai John, i was thinking this would be another thread but on ah serious note, I think Manuel Pelligrini might just be the best coach in world football?

what u say?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »

Berbatov injured already? like that brand new porsche they buy get a scratch.. lol

Jai John, i was thinking this would be another thread but on ah serious note, I think Manuel Pelligrini might just be the best coach in world football?

what u say?

His resume isn't large enough yet...Most of his career was in South America.....He won a title at San Lorenzo (I think), and I'm not sure if he won anything in his one season at River.... He's done well with Villareal so far but hasn't won anything yet....so while stats and trophies don't tell the full story it's still kinda tough to back up such a large claim. 

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »

what u say?

His resume isn't large enough yet...Most of his career was in South America.....He won a title at San Lorenzo (I think), and I'm not sure if he won anything in his one season at River.... He's done well with Villareal so far but hasn't won anything yet....so while stats and trophies don't tell the full story it's still kinda tough to back up such a large claim. 

true he doesnt have the titles to back it up, but are titles a definitive measure of coaching pedigree?

I mean.. when you look at the raw materials he's had to work with compared to everyone else and the success he's enjoyed, yuh have to tip yuh hat..

Imagine he had a side with one superstar, Riquelme and some journeymen others and take them to the brink of a champions league final. Not to mention the side had no forwards.

Then that one superstar buss it, and he still take them to 2nd in la liga, automatic CL qualification and beat out Barcelona in the process. This is with a fraction of the resources available to most of the other top rated coaches.

I think one could make a great case.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

what u say?

true he doesnt have the titles to back it up, but are titles a definitive measure of coaching pedigree?

I mean.. when you look at the raw materials he's had to work with compared to everyone else and the success he's enjoyed, yuh have to tip yuh hat..

Imagine he had a side with one superstar, Riquelme and some journeymen others and take them to the brink of a champions league final. Not to mention the side had no forwards.

Then that one superstar buss it, and he still take them to 2nd in la liga, automatic CL qualification and beat out Barcelona in the process. This is with a fraction of the resources available to most of the other top rated coaches.

I think one could make a great case.

Yeah I agree (as originally posted) that trophies aren't everything- in other words just because a player/team/coach is trophy-less doesn't mean they're not good... That said, I agree that Pellegrini is a good coach.  Villarreal has played an entertaining brand of complete football under his watch, and under him they have risen from a segunda liga/primera cellar dwellers to a perrenial primera liga title contender with good showings in Europe..... But when yuh want to go as far as to label someone as the best coach in the world, my thinking is that he has to win something.  While football is a team sport, and it's very difficult to measure a player's ability by trophies..to me a coach almost has to be.  To me a player's competence is measured by ability because ability is somewhat tangible.  Coaching competence is less tangible, so it's more likely to be measured by success....and the highest form/measure of success is titles/trophies.....Afterall who is to say that Capello, Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, or Scolari couldn't have come 2nd with Villarreal last season...or even 1st....Sh*t man go even start to throw Wim & Maturana name in the mix  ;D  It hard tuh fight down a coach when he has the trophies...other than that yuh dealing in too many intangibles.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »
yeah i agree..

by de way i now come running to look for the game and realize is tomorrow..

tell me why dey start this thread so early when chelsea bussing up somebody today?

steups

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 04:45:58 AM »

what u say?

I said a lot already ...he might not be the best but he certainly is one of the best ...It is amazing that Villareal has managed to keep him especially with big clubs hunting. He seems to get the best out of his charges ...loook at Riquelme, Forlan, Rossi, Pires, Senna, Franco etc.  ..all players who seemed on the way out after leaving their former clubs . The man is a genius.

Look also at his results !!! ..look at the opposition he faces on a weekly basis ... Villareal was voted most attractive ( football ) club not so long ago ...how do you do that in Spain with the big money clubs able to buy whoever they want ?  This club comfortably split the top two in Spain last season !! compare rosters !

So I used to get a lotta talk bout my support for dis club and when Riquelme left man say ..dais it for dem ...but not only Riquelme left, Forlan, at one time the league's top goalscorer, also left together with Reina, the club's best goalkeeper now at Liverpool ...yet what happens ...the club goes from strength to strength. My reasons for that is the club is strong in its technical department and its youth development programme.

Santi Cazorla, Spain's starlet turned down barcelona this season the stay at Villareal ...yuh ever hear dat ! Villareal stadium kyah hold the same crowd as we national stadium and we have so many stadia ! They also have several youth players on Spain's youth teams.......
This is a modest club and the small side in the main town of Valencia where Valencia is de big side ..or used to be !I have often made calls for T&T to send its youth team to tournaments in Villareal. They are known to attract the best youth clubs from around the world to these tournaments. I even listed a tournament ...who's listening ?
POur young players  can get experience and learn a lot by playing against the best youths in the world ..we dont only have to rely solely on local or regional tournaments ...look at what the US and mexico do ...exactly that !!! look where Altidore is  !!!!!
Mexican clubs play in the South American Libertadores competition every year ...mexico is in Concacaf as far as I know ...how did this happen ? mexico is also invited to play at the cOPA AMERICA , A CONMEBOL tournament ,  so you see why we are always behind the 8th ball.
we singing the praises of the foytball assoc. 100 years of football etc......Villareal eh even close to that yet they have an excellent youth development programme similar to Boca juniors ...and you know I could keep typing til next week on dat !!
Pellegrini wont stay much longer at Villareal ...the moneymen must see what is so obvious to those of us without ...who said money makes you blind again ??? ...maybe dais why i does see things so clear !!!  :beermug::beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 08:37:33 AM »

what u say?

I said a lot already ...he might not be the best but he certainly is one of the best ...It is amazing that Villareal has managed to keep him especially with big clubs hunting. He seems to get the best out of his charges ...loook at Riquelme, Forlan, Rossi, Pires, Senna, Franco etc.  ..all players who seemed on the way out after leaving their former clubs . The man is a genius.

Look also at his results !!! ..look at the opposition he faces on a weekly basis ... Villareal was voted most attractive ( football ) club not so long ago ...how do you do that in Spain with the big money clubs able to buy whoever they want ?  This club comfortably split the top two in Spain last season !! compare rosters !

So I used to get a lotta talk bout my support for dis club and when Riquelme left man say ..dais it for dem ...but not only Riquelme left, Forlan, at one time the league's top goalscorer, also left together with Reina, the club's best goalkeeper now at Liverpool ...yet what happens ...the club goes from strength to strength. My reasons for that is the club is strong in its technical department and its youth development programme.

Santi Cazorla, Spain's starlet turned down barcelona this season the stay at Villareal ...yuh ever hear dat ! Villareal stadium kyah hold the same crowd as we national stadium and we have so many stadia ! They also have several youth players on Spain's youth teams.......
This is a modest club and the small side in the main town of Valencia where Valencia is de big side ..or used to be !I have often made calls for T&T to send its youth team to tournaments in Villareal. They are known to attract the best youth clubs from around the world to these tournaments. I even listed a tournament ...who's listening ?
POur young players  can get experience and learn a lot by playing against the best youths in the world ..we dont only have to rely solely on local or regional tournaments ...look at what the US and mexico do ...exactly that !!! look where Altidore is  !!!!!
Mexican clubs play in the South American Libertadores competition every year ...mexico is in Concacaf as far as I know ...how did this happen ? mexico is also invited to play at the cOPA AMERICA , A CONMEBOL tournament ,  so you see why we are always behind the 8th ball.
we singing the praises of the foytball assoc. 100 years of football etc......Villareal eh even close to that yet they have an excellent youth development programme similar to Boca juniors ...and you know I could keep typing til next week on dat !!
Pellegrini wont stay much longer at Villareal ...the moneymen must see what is so obvious to those of us without ...who said money makes you blind again ??? ...maybe dais why i does see things so clear !!!  :beermug::beermug:

I hope he stays at Villareal and that they eventually become a perrennial force in la liga.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
game on
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
rio shoulda buss de net

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »
the ref should've hand out a few more cards... - like he want we players get injured from dem wile men a what? ???
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
shite we get away there  :D off the post
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
god smile on we. :angel:

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
once again poor finishing

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:55 PM »
no team in our group scored, everybody get 1 point.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »
clearly the AIG & wall st. meltdowns affecting Man U.

dem players more worried bout how much money they losing on the stock market today than football.

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
Nani appears to be lacking  football sense to go with his physical abilities. Roonay is a boss play! How ugly is Arsenal's away kit? Phew!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:13:06 PM by giggsy11 »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
clearly the AIG & wall st. meltdowns affecting Man U.

dem players more worried bout how much money they losing on the stock market today than football.

Clearly !!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
I eh see de game yet just de score ..so I wont comment. I guess nobody eh see the game neither !!!

..not even dem Man united supporters who does be able to tell yuh what Christiano had for breakfast everyday ...
Imagine the European Champions playing at home with their top star returning from injury ..being held to a draw by a visiting team without its two leading goalscorers from last season... and de football experts and supporters on dis forum eh have no comment !!!
One supporter say is de sponsor crisis dat affecting dem ..... yes man ...all eleven ah dem in yellow !!!!
I go enjoy de game when I can and await de return in la madrigal ..the graveyard of many a team.
Man posting all kinda ting bout " why teams have to fear United " and all of ah sudden lose dey voice .... ah kyah even depend on a single analysis before seeing de game ...ah well

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
I eh see de game yet just de score ..so I wont comment. I guess nobody eh see the game neither !!!

..not even dem Man united supporters who does be able to tell yuh what Christiano had for breakfast everyday ...
Imagine the European Champions playing at home with their top star returning from injury ..being held to a draw by a visiting team without its two leading goalscorers from last season... and de football experts and supporters on dis forum eh have no comment !!!
One supporter say is de sponsor crisis dat affecting dem ..... yes man ...all eleven ah dem in yellow !!!!
I go enjoy de game when I can and await de return in la madrigal ..the graveyard of many a team.
Man posting all kinda ting bout " why teams have to fear United " and all of ah sudden lose dey voice .... ah kyah even depend on a single analysis before seeing de game ...ah well

wow...

firstly...you miss the game?  this was your CL final and you miss it...talk about loyalty ::)

secondly...i saw the game and yuh side play ok...not good not bad... they defended and had 1 shot on target  ..funnily enough it hit the post

we dominated the game and deserved to win but it wasnt meant to be... we also had Gary Neville making his first competitive start since about 18 months ago... and Hargreaves and Park also returned... No Vidic,Carrick,Scholes,Berbatov and Giggs and Ronaldo came off the bench...

so dont act like yuh held Utd's first 11 .... very frustrating game from a Utd perspective...but from what i've seen from villareal...celtic will like their chances ...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »
Small Magician I feel yuh kinda twisting it a little. The spaniards were knocking some nice ball. The play in front the box had some great combos, but they were looking to hard for that final ball. The last 30 minutes of the game when the traitor stepped on the field was consisted of the kitchen sink methods. Man United never really stretched the team in yellow out of the middle in the defence hence Man United inability to score. Man United trademark game did not work today.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>